Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancel sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Cancelled sky officially yesterday evening, 31 day’s notice. Contacted a guy that installs those tiviar alphaplus .

Low and behold just this morning, Sky ireland rang me - so first of all it was up from €59 per month to 95, I got them down to 80.

Then they ring back this morning offering €66 to stay for another year.

I sort of have my mind made up at this stage to go with the android box or tiviar, whatever they’re called. Just conscious of dodgy boxes though and the chance of interruption or lag. I’d put it out through the window

This has nothing to do with dodgy boxes or network lag.
    The Tiviar uses the satellite dish to receive the same signals that you were getting by paying Sky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

What are these android boxes then or IPTV as they’re called? Have read up on them and done the research. Seems like a lot of effort keeping them constantly updated and configured correctly.

I’ll stick with the tiviar as you say then!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,356 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Cancelled sky officially yesterday evening, 31 day’s notice. Contacted a guy that installs those tiviar alphaplus .

Low and behold just this morning, Sky ireland rang me - so first of all it was up from €59 per month to 95, I got them down to 80.

Then they ring back this morning offering €66 to stay for another year.

I sort of have my mind made up at this stage to go with the android box or tiviar, whatever they’re called. Just conscious of dodgy boxes though and the chance of interruption or lag. I’d put it out through the window

Tiviar is well old at this point (I think originally released in 2013?) - but there are other Enigma boxes that have comparable offerings, e.g. the Zgemma H7S.

As stated above, the signal comes from the dish in the same way as a sky box, so no lag/etc. You can get a lot of the functionality of a sky box with an e2 box (e.g. 7 day EPG, recording/etc), just takes a little bit to set up.

Also, just to note - if you had a sky plus box previously (not sky q) then there is 0 installation needed, you can just take the leads out of the back of sky box and plug into the new box. If you previously had Sky Q then you will likely need a new LNB.

Last point - if the Irish channels aren't a priority, a freesat box (details of the newest one here) might be a better option. Plug and play, and will work with a Sky Q LNB.

What are these android boxes then or IPTV as they’re called? Have read up on them and done the research. Seems like a lot of effort keeping them constantly updated and configured correctly.

I’ll stick with the tiviar as you say then!

IPTV is delivered over your internet connection ..... as in streaming.
    Android is the operating system most used for those boxes, so I guess they get the term Android box.
    An IPTV box could just as easily run a standard Linux but most don't.

As previously stated the Tiviar on its released was a very high end box and so has lasted the test of time, but its coming near the end of its competitive edge, for the price point.

There are now several boxes running Linux images which compete very well with it.
    I expect they will receive support/updates for as long, and maybe longer than the Tiviar.

One great benefit of the Tiviar is that a full set up by Boards members has been made available, so the usual requirement of these boxes for the buyer to do most of the set up is overcome.

I am unsure about the other comparable boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Sorry to partially hi jack this thread. I'm looking to cancel sky completely and I'm currently using a sky q box. I'm out of contract so I own the box. When I fully cancel, can anyone advise me what free channels I'll be left with?

Am I correct in thinking I'll be no longer able to record? Also, will I still be able to watch stuff that's already recorded and stored on the box?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

shocksy wrote: »
    Sorry to partially hi jack this thread. I'm looking to cancel sky completely and I'm currently using a sky q box. I'm out of contract so I own the box. When I fully cancel, can anyone advise me what free channels I'll be left with?

Am I correct in thinking I'll be no longer able to record? Also, will I still be able to watch stuff that's already recorded and stored on the box?

Thanks.

You do not own the box.
    When you cancel Sky Q you are required to return their box/es.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

shocksy wrote: »

Thanks.

You don’t own the box with a you only “rent” it... they’ll ask for it back

Being talked into keeping sky due to their drop down to 66 from 95 by the fam.. and here was me reading up on the new combo box. You just can’t win

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

You do not own the box.
    When you cancel Sky Q you are required to return their box/es.
    Pete123456 wrote: »
    You don’t own the box with a you only “rent” it... they’ll ask for it back

Ah okay thanks for that. I wasn't aware of that.

If it's only ''rented'', the initial charge when I ''bought'' it was unfair so. Basically paying upfront to use a box that you're only renting. Madness. That's basically like a mobile network selling you the phone upfront on bill pay, but when you're out of contract they take it back. Ridiculous. I'll definitely be leaving them now and they can have their poxy box back. I'll go another route as has been suggested on other threads in this forum.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DFS UTD

Hi

I'm a complete novice at this so please bear with me.

I currently have a sky+ subscription and want to cancel.

I'm looking for a STB that I can just plug in to replace the sky box. I don't want to recable / move current dish etc. I'd like to have one remote with a channel listing that includes all saorview and freesat channels - with the option to pause/ record.

RTE 1
    RTE 2
    RTE News Now
    Virgin 1
    Virgin 2
    BBC 1
    BBC2
    BBC News
    ITV 1
    ITV 2
    etc
    etc

I haven't a clue about any of this - Is there a STB that will work for me?

I looked at the world of satellite website - but it was all double dutch to me.

Any help / recommendations greatly accepted.

thanks

DFS

• Advertisement

DFS UTD wrote: »
    Hi

I'm a complete novice at this so please bear with me.

I currently have a sky+ subscription and want to cancel.

I'm looking for a STB that I can just plug in to replace the sky box. I don't want to recable / move current dish etc. I'd like to have one remote with a channel listing that includes all saorview and freesat channels - with the option to pause/ record.

RTE 1
    RTE 2
    RTE News Now
    Virgin 1
    Virgin 2
    BBC 1
    BBC2
    BBC News
    ITV 1
    ITV 2
    etc
    etc

I haven't a clue about any of this - Is there a STB that will work for me?

I looked at the world of satellite website - but it was all double dutch to me.

Any help / recommendations greatly accepted.

thanks

DFS

You will need an aerial to receive the Saorview channels, as well as the Sat Dish to receive the satellite UK channels.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Theres plenty of other threads where you’ll be advised on various FTA solutions

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Shoie

There are now several boxes running Linux images which compete very well with it.
    I expect they will receive support/updates for as long, and maybe longer than the Tiviar.

One great benefit of the Tiviar is that a full set up by Boards members has been made available, so the usual requirement of these boxes for the buyer to do most of the set up is overcome.

I am unsure about the other comparable boxes.

I am looking for a STB recommendation. As with some on this thread I recently cancelled Sky due to price. I went for the PowerPoint Saorviw as I thought it had everything i needed, I should have read Boards first. The box is good but my main gripe is that you can not get Netflix or other channel players such as All4 of VMPlayer. Saorview website say TV players like RTE Player so I thought I could install more.

Is there a box you could recommend that would be a good alternative to the Triviar box? Wants I have for a STB is to:
    1. Saorview
    2. FreeSat
    3. 7 day EPG (on Saorview and FreeSat if possible)
    4. Pause/rewind/fast forward live tv
    5. Series record
    6. Install catch up TV apps - RT Player, VM Player, All4, dPlay etc..
    7. Install streaming apps - Netflix, Prime and NowTV

I have an aerial and dish installed running to the new box and signal is good. I am tech minded but don’t want to have to be constantly updating a box. I would like to set it and let it do the updates itself. I have used android boxes but not Linux.

Any tips, or links to other threads, anyone could give me would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I got sky back down to €65 a month. Good considering my first year was €59. I’ll stay with them this year now considering I would have needed to keep on broadband with someone anyway. €300 for tv for the year with all of the above that you’ve mentioned on Sky Q. Sure I’d be out €250 getting one of those boxes installed now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I got sky back down to €65 a month. Good considering my first year was €59. I’ll stay with them this year now considering I would have needed to keep on broadband with someone anyway. €300 for tv for the year with all of the above that you’ve mentioned on Sky Q. Sure I’d be out €250 getting one of those boxes installed now
    The difference is that's a once off payment and your clear. Or put another way 4 months subs at your rate.

The difference is that's a once off payment and your clear. Or put another way 4 months subs at your rate.

Broadband is included in that Gerry at €40 per month so the TV is actually only 25.

It’s a broadband and tv package. Cheapest broadband you’ll get is about 40 - they’ll all offer 25 for 6 months but then it goes above that and again after first year.

Shoie wrote: »
    I am looking for a STB recommendation. As with some on this thread I recently cancelled Sky due to price. I went for the PowerPoint Saorviw as I thought it had everything i needed, I should have read Boards first. The box is good but my main gripe is that you can not get Netflix or other channel players such as All4 of VMPlayer. Saorview website say TV players like RTE Player so I thought I could install more.

Is there a box you could recommend that would be a good alternative to the Triviar box? Wants I have for a STB is to:
    1. Saorview
    2. FreeSat
    5. Series record

I have an aerial and dish installed running to the new box and signal is good. I am tech minded but don’t want to have to be constantly updating a box. I would like to set it and let it do the updates itself. I have used android boxes but not Linux.

Thanks in advance.

Suggest you go down the route of an e2 box like the zgemma H7S for the TV bits, and a separate box (fire stick, shield, even a chromecast) for the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

does the Firestick have RTE Player?

tech wrote: »
    does the Firestick have RTE Player?

By default, no. But people have managed to sideload it.

Thanks for the reply. I see your point for €300 a year for all that seems good on the face of it, however the €250 is an intial outlay that I would hope would last for at least 5 years before I want to upgrade the box - famous last word I bet:rolleyes:. So the way I am looking at is a €250 intial outlay compared to a €1,500 investment with a provider with a yearly battle on price or switching.

Yes SkyQ can do all but the Prime part of my needs and I think the Virgin Horizon box can also, any other provider has not managed to attract me as I have friends that have had bad experiences. I am just fed up with the constant yearly battle on price and switching. I usually get stung when the contract expires and I go to full rate without realising it for a month or two until I see my bank statement, yes my fault as I signed the contract but no customer service from the provider informing me of the change in rate.

Another down side to the providers is the service is stuck to my main home address. I have a holiday home and during the summer months some members of the family, if not all, are in it. Having another Saorview/Freesat box there can mirror the home set up and all the streaming apps can allow for multiple log ins. Some find changes in menus difficult:eek:. May be I should add this to my needs list.

I have had both SkyQ and Virgin Horizon over the last two years, switcdhing between them for the last 15 or so through different versions of companies, and appart from minor issues the service was great. I have saw the evolution of the home PVR. I am just fed up with the constant switching to get a good rate. There should be a loyalty rate IMO, like a cars no claim bonus that increases every year you are with them with an automatic entitlement as loing as you keep your contract current, switch and it goes back to year one.

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote: »
    Suggest you go down the route of an e2 box like the zgemma H7S for the TV bits, and a separate box (fire stick, shield, even a chromecast) for the players.

Thank you, I will investigate that box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

shocksy wrote:

I think you will find that Sky own the Sky Q box & will request its return on contact completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭decor58

Shoie wrote: »

1. Saorview
    2. FreeSat
    5. Series record

Thanks in advance.

I use a Now TV stick without a subscription for all those apps except Prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

Hi

is there much to getting the RTE player on the Fire Stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭obi604

Broadband is included in that Gerry at €40 per month so the TV is actually only 25.

It’s a broadband and tv package. Cheapest broadband you’ll get is about 40 - they’ll all offer 25 for 6 months but then it goes above that and again after first year.

are you a totally new customer? or with them already

Second year. First year was €59 per month tv and broadband special offer. Second year they did it for €65.90.

Maybe next year I’ll switch to one of those boxes as I agree sky charge too much for what it is.

But to be honest I have the amiko/tiviar box out in another house in the country and it’s good job but it doesn’t compare with sky.

There are lads obsessed with building their android boxes and putting all the time into them where it gets to the point where they’re the only people in the house who actually know how to work it.

And no matter what you tell me - the channels aren’t 100% lag-proof. How many times have you went to a friends house to watch a live sporting event etc and the box has lagged or in some cases went off completely? And they brush it off and look for another stream or channel. I could not be bothered with that crap.

People who have them will argue blind that their box works great and never any problems but it’s not the same. I’ve seen them first hand and they aren’t as user friendly as the subscription providers . Sure some people have outsmarted SKy etc to be able to get more channels than sky provide, channeled into their box. But every few months or less some channels drop out all of a sudden. I don’t want to have to be constantly updating or fixing something.

The €300 for tv will do me this year instead of the €250 initial outlay for a box but until someone presents me with something that can replicate sky - easy to use, has all the apps and an accessible interface then I’ll throw my money at them.

And no matter what you tell me - the channels aren’t 100% lag-proof. How many times have you went to a friends house to watch a live sporting event etc and the box has lagged or in some cases went off completely? And they brush it off and look for another stream or channel. I could not be bothered with that crap.

I think when people were mentioning lag they were referring to the FTA satellite channels, not IPTV (which is illegal and I agree - not worth the hassle).

Yeah FTA is fine. That’s the box I have. It’s grand like!! Just isn’t as attractive .

IPTV I wouldn’t be interested in all that crap of constant updates and keeping in touch with whoever provided it

Second year. First year was €59 per month tv and broadband special offer. Second year they did it for €65.90.

Maybe next year I’ll switch to one of those boxes as I agree sky charge too much for what it is.

But to be honest I have the amiko/tiviar box out in another house in the country and it’s good job but it doesn’t compare with sky.

In what way does it not compare with Sky? ....... what follows in your post is not applicable!

There are lads obsessed with building their android boxes and putting all the time into them where it gets to the point where they’re the only people in the house who actually know how to work it.

People who have them will argue blind that their box works great and never any problems but it’s not the same. I’ve seen them first hand and they aren’t as user friendly as the subscription providers . Sure some people have outsmarted SKy etc to be able to get more channels than sky provide, channeled into their box. But every few months or less some channels drop out all of a sudden. I don’t want to have to be constantly updating or fixing something.

The €300 for tv will do me this year instead of the €250 initial outlay for a box but until someone presents me with something that can replicate sky - easy to use, has all the apps and an accessible interface then I’ll throw my money at them.

You are not comparing like with like.

The Tiviar box set up as described on a couple of threads on Boards uses the very same Astra satellite as your Sky box.

You appear to be referring to streaming over the internet which is completely different.

Make a proper comparison if you must, but confusing the comparison with streaming does no one any favours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Anyone having a luck with retention offers? Rang twice to try and reduce bill for next 12 months with nothing being offered.

Really want to avoiding playing chicken with cancelling as I need the broadband......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement