Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Gov has decided that museums should be free. That is a political decision. They have not made the same decision about the zoo. The zoo currently have no funds to feed the animals due to being shut down by Covid. RTE is underfunded.

This is all subject to Gov decisions. The money has to come from somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ps200306

RTE is underfunded
    By what measure?
    The money has to come from somewhere.
    Why? Have you considered that they could spend less by not having their fingers in so many pies?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The TV licence predates RTE.
    Notes

Licenses to receive broadcasts predate the state.

Unlike the water charges it doesn't cost more to supply extra people.

Bob24 wrote: »
    On price, monitors are pretty much always more expensive than similarly sized TVs, I don’t think you can get around that. But given the savings on the licence it is irrelevant as long as you know you will keep it for some time. Each year you can deduce 160 euros from the price of the monitor vs having a TV, so within a year (or max 2 years) you usually break even and then it becomes cheaper each year.

Size is a bit of a problem though: if you want to go above 43in they are usually for professional use (with that size it is usually for public display rather than individual use on a desk), and can get rather pricy. I can see this one on Amazon though: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CRMGL..._icSGFbAG04C1M
    ps200306 wrote: »
    I've taken the plunge! Was looking at monitors like Bob24's link (and its smaller 48-inch sibling) but then found this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B085TS9C7T (it also has an even larger 65-inch sibling). It's basically an Android Smart TV sans tuner. The "KAGIS" designation means "keine GIS". GIS is the Austrian TV licensing system, very similar to our own, where the ability to receive broadcast signals with a tuner requires you to buy a license for an eye-watering €320 -- twice the price of the Irish one!!!

Anyway, I'm satisfied that this falls outside the purview of the Irish Broadcasting Act. Couldn't find a manual online, but there's a youtube unboxing review in German. I suspect it's one of the earlier 4K displays but I'm willing to give it a punt. Arrives next Friday.
    Nice find! I had never came across one of these. I assume it will be a no brainer and just work as expected, but keep us posted if there is any surprise.

Hopefully this type of device won’t become too mainstream though, or governments will start to take notice and will want to legislate around it to keep forcing us to pay for poor public TV we don’t watch ...

I promised an update on this Android TV monitor. It arrived inside four days. Have had it over a week now. Bit of a crazy size for my small living room, but I'll live with it. It was also a bit pricey but given I was also faced with replacing a PC with one able to do HD / 4k and a new HDMI audio splitter capable of 4k @ 60 Hz, it worked out pretty similar to other non-smart monitors. It's also handy to have everything in a single device -- much less cable mess. The display quality is awesome by my standards, higher resolution and much more vibrant colours than my previous LG TV.

It's pretty much everything I expected. Very easy to use and it's got a remote control you can speak to, as well as various controller apps installable on your phone. I've watched Youtube and Amazon Prime. I have Surfshark VPN and in principle could watch BBC iPlayer, however the non-stop buffering makes it fairly unwatchable even though I have a high speed cable connection. No real loss, given I am ditching my TV license I feel "cleaner" not even watching another country's catch-up TV. I have radio and web for news, which is pretty much the only thing I turned the TV on for anyway. My favourite Youtube "programmes" like PBS Space Time look great. If you avoid the mountains of dross, Youtube really can be a great educational resource.

Now I just have to get the various TVs and set-top boxes out of the house before the end of January when the license expires, then sit back and wait for the license inspector. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Now I just have to get the various TVs and set-top boxes out of the house before the end of January when the license expires, then sit back and wait for the license inspector. :D

Cheers for the feedback. I might consider one at some point to replace my monitor!

If I was you I’d be extra careful if you let a licence inspector have sight of it. I.e. something like informing them that you want to keep an audio/video recording of the inspection and clearly stating the model number and the fact that it doesn’t have a tuner when both you and the inspector are on the record (to have evidence in case you come accros someone who decides that if it looks like a TV it must be a one and flags on his report that you need to pay the licence).

• Advertisement

If I was you I’d be extra careful if you let a licence inspector have sight of it. I.e. something like informing them that you want to keep a recording of the inspection and clearly stating the model number and the fact that it doesn’t have a tuner when both you and the inspector are on the record, to have evidence in case you come accros an someone who decides that if it looks like a TV it must be a TV.
    Exactly my thoughts! Have kept a photo of the packaging which clearly labels it as a Chiq Monitor, and the back panel showing no tuner inputs. (Chiq is the brand name of Sichuan Changhong Electric Co). Also a copy of the Amazon blurb which shows it specifically avoiding the license requirement (in Austria :p).

EoXIzVr.png

SeUgVgD.png

nCgi85F.png

Got my TV license renewal notice. I'm about to preemptively send a statutory declaration form to tell them I no longer have a TV, to save them the trouble of asking for it. Anyone know if they'll accept a scanned signed form by email?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭styo

Got my TV license renewal notice. I'm about to preemptively send a statutory declaration form to tell them I no longer have a TV, to save them the trouble of asking for it. Anyone know if they'll accept a scanned signed form by email?

They will need the physical letter for legal purposes. The simplest thing to do is just send the letter in the post and email them to tell them that you have done so. They are very nice - I did this myself.

Obviously you would not want to do this is you have a TV. Misrepresentation is a serious enough offence I believe. But provided you don't have a TV that's what to do, and tbh it's unlikely that they are going to turn up at the moment. They do reserve the right to come check however.

Cheers for the feedback. I might consider one at some point to replace my monitor!

If I was you I’d be extra careful if you let a licence inspector have sight of it. I.e. something like informing them that you want to keep an audio/video recording of the inspection and clearly stating the model number and the fact that it doesn’t have a tuner when both you and the inspector are on the record (to have evidence in case you come accros someone who decides that if it looks like a TV it must be a one and flags on his report that you need to pay the licence).

Personally I think that is entirely overkill. If your screen is not a TV, and that brand isn't, then they are not going to bother you. It's pointless as it is a matter of law and not interpretation - the law is quite clear - if you have any equipment capable of receiving a broadcast, it must be licensed. That brand is a monitor - IU have one myself - its great.

I promised an update on this Android TV monitor. It arrived inside four days. Have had it over a week now. Bit of a crazy size for my small living room, but I'll live with it. It was also a bit pricey but given I was also faced with replacing a PC with one able to do HD / 4k and a new HDMI audio splitter capable of 4k @ 60 Hz, it worked out pretty similar to other non-smart monitors. It's also handy to have everything in a single device -- much less cable mess. The display quality is awesome by my standards, higher resolution and much more vibrant colours than my previous LG TV.

It's pretty much everything I expected. Very easy to use and it's got a remote control you can speak to, as well as various controller apps installable on your phone. I've watched Youtube and Amazon Prime. I have Surfshark VPN and in principle could watch BBC iPlayer, however the non-stop buffering makes it fairly unwatchable even though I have a high speed cable connection. No real loss, given I am ditching my TV license I feel "cleaner" not even watching another country's catch-up TV. I have radio and web for news, which is pretty much the only thing I turned the TV on for anyway. My favourite Youtube "programmes" like PBS Space Time look great. If you avoid the mountains of dross, Youtube really can be a great educational resource.

It's a great TV. Don't forget to make the statutory declaration that you no longer have a TV set. It's painless and easy. The TV license people are very friendly. I think people get very anxious about them but they are just people doing a job. They are not the enemy.

• Advertisement

Yes it is political.

I am suggesting moving culture out of the grasp of politicians. Having such matters left to the politicians means the local interests of ministers trump the general requirements driven by less parochial matters.

politicians control the license fee and thereby control RTE and all recipients. To suggest otherwise is naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

styo wrote: »
    Personally I think that is entirely overkill. If your screen is not a TV, and that brand isn't, then they are not going to bother you. It's pointless as it is a matter of law and not interpretation - the law is quite clear - if you have any equipment capable of receiving a broadcast, it must be licensed. That brand is a monitor - IU have one myself - its great.

You are assuming all inspectors are well aware of those device, do care about this, and are doing their job properly.

Risky assumption IMO (not saying they are all bad apples, but there are some).

I’ve heard multiple stories of inspectors ticking the TV box as soon as they see something which vaguely looks like a TV. You can usually sort things afterwords, but it will involve paperwork and be easier of you have proofs of what you are saying. I personally had one trying to play tricks on me.

styo wrote: »
    They will need the physical letter for legal purposes. The simplest thing to do is just send the letter in the post and email them to tell them that you have done so.
    I don't know if something has changed since Covid, but I asked them and they don't need the physical letter. Here it is from the horse's mouth (minus the horse's name):

Hi <ps200306>,

You can download a form from the website www.tvlicence.ie and send it back via email.

Kind regards
    <tv license person>

I’ve heard multiple stories of inspectors ticking the TV box as soon as they see something which vaguely looks like a TV. You can usually sort things afterwords, but it will involve paperwork and be easier of you have proofs of what you are saying. I personally had one trying to play tricks on me.

Yeah, I'm more comfortable making sure my ass is covered. The manual sits right under the monitor, along with my own photos of the back panel showing a lack of tuner inputs. Easier to send the license inspector away happy than have to turn up in court with exactly the same evidence.

By way of an update, have had the Chiq monitor for two months now and still totally in love with it. Should have jettisoned the TV sooner. I have BBC iPlayer working great, which is a bit naughty, but I only ever watch the occasional news bulletin. The Netflix, Amazon Prime and Youtube apps all work great, and it also works as a cast destination from laptop or phone. My one tiny gripe is that I couldn't get CEC control working to control the volume of an LG surround amplifier, so stuck with a separate remote for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 vtecdec

We moved out of our home last June to look after my parents during the Covid pandemic. House is currently vacant and will be for another 6-8 months. I took the TV with me when we moved out and thus No TV in the house at the moment, however still have RTE/Saorview Aerial and Sky dish on the chimney, which to a visiting TV license inspector could assume there is a TV on the premises.

TV License expired last September 2020, and getting all the reminders in the post to renew the license.
    Should I just ignore these reminders since the house is vacant, or do I need to contact TV licensing authority and inform them that the house is now vacant.

Also, on a side note, are TV License Inspectors entitled to come into your home to check if you have a TV or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

vtecdec wrote: »
    We moved out of our home last June to look after my parents during the Covid pandemic. House is currently vacant and will be for another 6-8 months. I took the TV with me when we moved out and thus No TV in the house at the moment, however still have RTE/Saorview Aerial and Sky dish on the chimney, which to a visiting TV license inspector could assume there is a TV on the premises.

TV License expired last September 2020, and getting all the reminders in the post to renew the license.
    Should I just ignore these reminders since the house is vacant, or do I need to contact TV licensing authority and inform them that the house is now vacant.

Also, on a side note, are TV License Inspectors entitled to come into your home to check if you have a TV or not.

Write to them to let them know there is no TV present presently.

No they are not allowed enter the home without an invite or having a 'permitted person' accompany them.

The presence of a dish and aerial is not proof of the presence of a TV or other equipment capable of receiving broadcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Can anyone tell me if you have a Smart TV, but do not have Saorview or any aerial/satellite dish connected to it, would you still be liable for the licence fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

VonLuck wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if you have a Smart TV, but do not have Saorview or any aerial/satellite dish connected to it, would you still be liable for the licence fee?

Yes, you will. It has a tuner, so you're liable, regardless of whether or not you actually use it.

dulpit wrote: »
    Yes, you will. It has a tuner, so you're liable, regardless of whether or not you actually use it.

Just wasn't sure by the phrasing when they say a device that is capable of receiving a signal, or whatever the exact wording is. I figure anything is capable of being a TV if you buy enough accessories!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭elperello

VonLuck wrote: »
    Just wasn't sure by the phrasing when they say a device that is capable of receiving a signal, or whatever the exact wording is. I figure anything is capable of being a TV if you buy enough accessories!

A monitor doesn't require a licence so might be a better option for you.

elperello wrote: »
    A monitor doesn't require a licence so might be a better option for you.

Ship has already sailed unfortunately. Have a couple of TV's in my home and it wouldn't make sense to get rid of them on a technicality like having a TV tuner in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

dulpit wrote: »

Just wondering if this is still the case as according to http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/act/18/section/140/enacted/en/html “ television set ” means any electronic apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction with it) and any software or assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus.

I don't have a TV, only a computer monitor and they again wanting to know why no licence in the home. There is an ariel on roof and satelite dish back of house but cables are cut.

Just wondering if this is still the case as according to http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/act/18/section/140/enacted/en/html “ television set ” means any electronic apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction with it) and any software or assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus.

I don't have a TV, only a computer monitor and they again wanting to know why no licence in the home. There is an ariel on roof and satelite dish back of house but cables are cut.

If you only have a monitor it alone cannot receive a signal from the aerial or dish.

You need to explain this and maybe give them the technical spec and a pic of the monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Simply make a written statement that there is no TV or any combination of devices capable of receiving broadcast services in your home, thus you are not required to have a 'TV Licence'.

You can download a statutory declaration form here: https://www.tvlicence.ie/home/tv-licence-forms.html

If you want to save the hassle of snail mail you can print it, fill it in, and scan it. Then email it to your local TV records office. You can find email addresses here: https://www.tvlicence.ie/home/records-office.html

For Dublin it's "Dublin.TVlicence@anpost.ie". Keep a copy of the declaration yourself. After that, if anyone asks just tell them you have no TV set and you've made a statutory declaration.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Capajoma

Received a letter to occupier stating they would be taking legal proceedings against me unless i purchased a license fee. They don't have my name.Can they do this? Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭conor2469

Hey all, I am in a bit of a quandary regarding the TV licence, and was wondering if I could get some advice.

To start off, I do not have a TV. I haven't owned one for years. I have a wide screen monitor in the sitting room, which I use to play computer games and stream media to via my laptops. I have been living in this house for over a year now.

Approximately 4 weeks ago, the TV inspector called to my place while I was at work. My girlfriend answered the door. She doesn't actually live with me but stays the odd night etc. He asked her for her name which she provided. He then informed her there was no TV licence and that it needs sorting out, and that he would call back in 2 to 4 weeks. I get home and she tells me this. I figure I would wait until he came back and explain the situation regarding no TV and using a monitor to view media from the net. He never came back in the end.

Monday just gone, I get a letter from the TV licence services, with my girlfriends name on it. It is the notice of legal proceedings letter they send out, giving you until the deadline to pay. It also states that the inspector found me in possession of a television set. I assume he saw the monitor through the window, although it would've been hard to see through the blinds. The stated deadline is looming.

I emailed the TV licence services for my area. I explained that I have no TV and that I have a widescreen monitor, which is not capable of receiving a TV signal by any means. I also informed them that the letter was sent to the wrong person as my girlfriend is not a resident. I included a signed statutory declaration with the email. They responded by saying that they cannot accept the statutory declaration as proceedings are already underway. They say that the inspector saw a TV and that it would be up to a judge to decide if a reinspection is necessary. They dismissed the fact that my girlfriend was not a resident entirely, stating "It doesn’t matter who purchases the licence for the house because as soon as the payment comes through the legal action stops."

So as it currently stands, they are siding with their inspector's findings and they are insisting I pay, otherwise they will carry on with proceedings against my girlfriend.

Where exactly do I stand here? My girlfriend is not keen on being held to ransom and wants me to pay so she doesn't have to deal with a court appearance etc. If it was me I would go and plead my case, but she wants nothing to do with it.

Normally what would be their next step if I was to refuse to pay at this stage? A summons?

Apologies for the essay, any insight would be much appreciated.

You should escalate this immediately.

No summons has been issued so there is still time to get it sorted.

There is no legal requirement for a person who does not live in the house to purchase a licence so if they do issue a summons it will most likely be in your name now that they have it.

There is no legal requirement for someone in possession of a monitor with no receiver to purchase a licence. Contact them again and supply the details of the monitor ie. make ,model . Attach a photo of the monitor.

If they persist and issue a summons consult a solicitor and make sure you are represented in court.

What happens if they send a letter to 'The Occupier' and still no TV licence is purchased and then one day the door is opened to an inspector?

Do you get a few days to purchase a licence or are you fined at that point?

Bear in mind if the door is closed in the face of the inspector he does not have your name and you could just head over to the post office once he leaves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

What if a housemate tells them you have a TV, but you don't you have a monitor that has no TV Tuner? I've emailed them declaring I've no TV but they have the house on record saying it has a TV

Edit: I've emailed them a pic of the telly and manual and he's forwarded it on to a higher up so we'll see how it goes.

Post edited by selassie on

Advertisement