Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermacs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/criticism-in-dail-of-supermacs-bosss-claim-some-workers-won-the-lotto-with-350-a-week-unemployment-payment-39242115.html?????

McDonagh is right there is an anomaly but it’s not like winning the lotto. But what really struck me is that he charges his own staff for meals they may not even want. That’s really tight, could qualify for the stingiest thing you’ve see stingy people do thread!

Worked there for a few years during college. I can't think of many employers that pay less than minimum wage but Supermacs is one. I also did a brief stint in McDonalds and they were far more generous.

McDonagh is a crass article, he should try to engage his brain before he speaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The whole unemployment system needs an overhaul. The fact that everyone gets the same benefit is ridiculous.

I like the system here in Germany, you get roughly two thirds of your salary for 1 year, and after that you have to meet a lot of criteria to get any further benefits, e.g. using up savings, selling property, downsizing apartment or house if too big, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

You cant deny he has a point though, although "winning the lotto" is just a stupid comparison.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

jester77 wrote: »
    The whole unemployment system needs an overhaul. The fact that everyone gets the same benefit is ridiculous.

I like the system here in Germany, you get roughly two thirds of your salary for 1 year, and after that you have to meet a lot of criteria to get any further benefits, e.g. using up savings, selling property, downsizing apartment or house if too big, etc

same in most countries, especially in the US. You get about a year and then you get chopped. same here, too. the old days of living on the dole til you die are gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Pat McDonagh is happy to give us the poor mouth stuff when it comes to paying his employees a living wage but then they’re supposed to jump at the chance of slinging fried pig**** for a paltry 80euros a week and the privilege of getting charged a levy for meals they’re not even eating.

The only thing more disgusting than the ****ing slurry Pat McDonagh is serving is his attitude towards his employees. He should be tarred and feathered in Eyre Square for his comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

People seem to think they’re very “clever” when they suggest things like ‘the Covid payment should be 70% of your salary up to a max of €350’.

That’s all well and good but the “system” we have doesn’t allow for that, it was always an overnight decision that had to be made, pay everyone or pay no one.

Is it perfect, no far from it. Was it better than doing nothing, definitely.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

McDonagh was involved in a court case to specifically reduce the wages he had to pay fast food workers - he just wants the cheapest workers possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Scumbag behaviour.
    A guy posted his payslip on Twitter he paid more in food and uniform than he paid in taxes....ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Saw that too. Paying him employer more than what he is taxed. Mad.

• Advertisement

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Pat McDonagh is happy to give us the poor mouth stuff when it comes to paying his employees a living wage but then they’re supposed to jump at the chance of slinging fried pig**** for a paltry 80euros a week and the privilege of getting charged a levy for meals they’re not even eating.

The only thing more disgusting than the ****ing slurry Pat McDonagh is serving is his attitude towards his employees. He should be tarred and feathered in Eyre Square for his comments.
    Supermacs also regularly object to planning applications for food outlets anywhere near them especially on sure square.

Btw pat mc Donagh is worth...about 120m

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Surely they can't charge employees for meals without their say so?

I've always thought it terribly unfair that employees can be charged for uniforms that they have to wear!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Well first of all McDonagh is a fairly tight, miserated operator by any standards, let alone those of fast-food operators. He and others also forget that the whole point of the 350 Euro payment in the first place was to encourage people to leave work at a time when it was deemed unsafe for people to be at work. Obviously anyone receiving more money for being sat at home is going to prefer it, and endeavour to extend the situation for as long as possible. Does he think people are idiots?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

gmisk wrote: »
    Supermacs also regularly object to planning applications for food outlets anywhere near them especially on sure square.

Btw pat mc Donagh is worth...about 120m

Easy be worth that with the Franchise and charging people for food that isn’t been made. The government would be all over them just like Eishtec in Waterford when they were paying ppl crap and treating them even worse. The government don’t care they just want their employment numbers up, publicity and let companies carry on regardless. That guy with 120m wouldn’t be any less off with 100m and looking after his staff. Surely they can take it to the court of human rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Surely they can't charge employees for meals without their say so?

I've always thought it terribly unfair that employees can be charged for uniforms that they have to wear!

When I worked there, minimum wage was still €8.65. It was written into the contract that 50c/hr was to be deducted from your wages for 'Staff food' (Regardless of whether or not it was eaten). We were allowed to take €7.50 worth of food per shift. There was also a mandatory €3 per week charge for the uniform.

Do the maths....

ciano1 wrote: »
    When I worked there, minimum wage was still €8.65. It was written into the contract that 50c/hr was to be deducted from your wages for 'Staff food' (Regardless of whether or not it was eaten). We were allowed to take €7.50 worth of food per shift. There was also a mandatory €3 per week charge for the uniform.

Do the maths....

What a mangey cnut of a person and company!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

jimgoose wrote: »
    Well first of all McDonagh is a fairly tight, miserated operator by any standards, let alone those of fast-food operators. He and others also forget that the whole point of the 350 Euro payment in the first place was to encourage people to leave work at a time when it was deemed unsafe for people to be at work. Obviously anyone receiving more money for being sat at home is going to prefer it, and endeavour to extend the situation for as long as possible. Does he think people are idiots?? :pac:

I like to think you're being sarcastic, but I'm really not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,857 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What an utter cûnt of a human being, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I’d have eaten my last supermacs. Not that it makes a great dent in their financials but it’s the principal, fûck em.. I said earlier in this thread that we ALL need to remember ANY and indeed ALL businesses who are using this health situation to screw their employees, their customers or the health thereof in any and all regards, another, to the list.

Strumms wrote: »
    What an utter cûnt of a human being, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I’d have eaten my last supermacs. Not that it makes a great dent in their financials but it’s the principal, fûck em.. I said earlier in this thread that we ALL need to remember ANY and indeed ALL businesses who are using this health situation to screw their employees, their customers or the health thereof in any and all regards, another, to the list.
    I totally agree.
    There is chemist near where i work that was charging 27 euro for 3 bottles of homemade hand sanitizer....I will never darken their door again, I also doubt anyone from my office will either.

It says int he article he's worth €300m.

Staff in my local Supermacs are class. Lovely people and make an effort. Didn't realise the place was that bad to work for. Pity the Likes of McDondalds can't try to poach people (who would have a bit of fast food experience) from the likes of Supermacs when they're hiring, to get them into a better working environment and ultimately make Supermacs up the amount they are willing to pay.

The €350 payment was a good idea, and definitely avoided what would have surely been some unrest as people were forced to live on beans and toast if they didn't get it, or alternatively, people would have rushed back to work. I think our relatively low death rate is probably one of the (unacknowledged) benefits of the payment as it kept people out of the workplace when it was important to stay away.

• Advertisement

I like to think you're being sarcastic, but I'm really not sure.

But that was the whole point of it. To ensure people didn't feel it necessary to sneak back to work or do nixers or such, and keep people at home. And it worked, by and large.

I totally agree.
    There is chemist near where i work that was charging 27 euro for 3 bottles of homemade hand sanitizer....I will never darken their door again, I also doubt anyone from my office will either.

How much did they pay for the santiser?

But that was the whole point of it. To ensure people didn't feel it necessary to sneak back to work or do nixers or such, and keep people at home. And it worked, by and large.

Yes, this is the thing - I mightn't have put it very well above.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,857 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I totally agree.

Jesus, 27 quid for probably what, MAX half a liter of hand sanitizer ? I’m looking here, you’d pay ‘exactly’ 27 euros in Tesco for a 70cl bottle of Jack Daniels ffs...

https://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=255248604

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Scumbag behaviour.
    A guy posted his payslip on Twitter he paid more in food and uniform than he paid in taxes....ffs

Yeah but it's class food in fairness and the uniform is top clobber.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Yeah but it's class food in fairness and the uniform is top clobber.

It's crap. Mediocre big-chain chipper fare on a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Trotted out as a regular talking head, taking back the High Street (sic.) with Bobby Kerr, shyteing on about wearing the green jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Must admit I thought a lot more of McDonagh a few years ago, his antics over the last while have changed my view and charging people for food they don't eat and for uniforms is very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Trotted out as a regular talking head, taking back the High Street (sic.) with Bobby Kerr, shyteing on about wearing the green jersey.

Country folk love that, W.

You’ll always hear them “banging on” about good ol’ Pat was standing behind the checkout on a busy Saturday night.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

Country folk love that, W.

You’ll always hear them “banging on” about good ol’ Pat was standing behind the checkout on a busy Saturday night.

We don't necessarily, no. "Taking back the High Street" is all well and good, but taking it back from a giant American corporation run by evil, soulless lizard people from Andromeda IV and replacing it with a concern run by a much bigger lighten fucker who happens to be from Galway isn't necessarily such a great idea either. :pac:

Advertisement