Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta - Stage 19

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Sam's come into 14/1 for the World's after his showings in this Vuelta:

NyrioUP.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Gilbert is a good bet too

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

If Sam gives all to get in an early break tomorrow he might get to that intermediate sprint. He has to get over a cat 1 but if he kills himself to get over that and then down the other side he can relax afterwards. I'd say it's a given there'll be a break. Roglic won't want to waste his helpers on the first mountain to keep the pesky green jersey.

If Sam gives all to get in an early break tomorrow he might get to that intermediate sprint. He has to get over a cat 1 but if he kills himself to get over that and then down the other side he can relax afterwards. I'd say it's a given there'll be a break. Roglic won't want to waste his helpers on the first mountain to keep the pesky green jersey.

Agreed Roglic won't go chasing Green, and Sam could take a leaf out of Sagan's Tour de France points playbook getting into the break.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have no issue with Movistar attacking, it is racing, I hat this hanging on for the leaders jersey. No one would hold on for me if I was winning a stage race in Ireland, they'd quite rightly put the hammer down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have no issue with Movistar attacking, it is racing, I hat this hanging on for the leaders jersey. No one would hold on for me if I was winning a stage race in Ireland, they'd quite rightly put the hammer down.

A puncture or mechanical is one thing, a crash caused by someone else (or even within his own team) is a bit different, dont you think? Movistar always seem to be the bad boys when these situations crop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Sam said his radio wasn't working. He thought they had caught all the breakaway riders so he thought he was in the lead until he turned the last corner and saw Cavagna!! :(

He must be gutted

Boscoirl wrote: »
    He must be gutted

Aye especially when he had the beating of Stybar and Gilbert up the ramp, was a Stage there for the taking if his team had been there to close it down in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Most of the peloton seem to have the opposite opinion. Lopez absolutely laying into movistar and Valverde on twitter. Calling them disrespectful idiots "what a world champion we have", etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye especially when he had the beating of Stybar and Gilbert up the ramp, was a Stage there for the taking if his team had been there to close it down in time.

No way of knowing that. They could have just been marshaling him in case their team mate got caught.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Would they have stopped if the crash did not involve the leader? If it was serious enough to stop the race then fair enough but if they wouldn't have been lambasted if other riders were down, then they shouldn't now one specific rider is down. If that's what people are advocating, I agree, but keep it consistently fair or don't do it all. If it was a serious crash, then the comms should neutralise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Its funny when the pros get upset about riders not respecting the "unwritten rules" when several of them can't even follow the actual written ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Would they have stopped if the crash did not involve the leader? If it was serious enough to stop the race then fair enough but if they wouldn't have been lambasted if other riders were down, then they shouldn't now one specific rider is down. If that's what people are advocating, I agree, but keep it consistently fair or don't do it all. If it was a serious crash, then the comms should neutralise it.

I agree 100%. Crashes are part and parcel of racing. Avoiding them can come down to luck at times but luck plays an integral part of every sport and is one of the elements that make all different types of sport compelling at times.

Footballers putting the ball out of play when a player is slightly injured also boils my p**s. If the ref wants to stop the play for an injury, let him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Its funny when the pros get upset about riders not respecting the "unwritten rules" when several of them can't even follow the actual written ones.

It's like yer man said "an oral contract ain't worth the paper it's written on"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,064 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

There's an intermediate tomorrow if the peleton goes easy at the start and he gets over the Cat 1. We defo need a break to win tomorrow though and not the GC riders contesting the stage. Wonder when the last time a Sprinter won the Green Jersey at the Vuelta was, I can't remember it.

stage-20-profile.jpg?01

That's not tomorrows stage?
    This is it - the sprint is at the very end as well, sadistic vuelta organisers!

profile-20.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Sam's come into 14/1 for the World's after his showings in this Vuelta:

NyrioUP.png

I can't see beyond Van Der Poel for the World's.
    He didn't skip the MTB World Champs. for nothing and he's flying' at the moment.
    And the course suits him down to the ground.
    I suppose that's why he's 5/2.

Watching him demolish the field on that up hill finish the other day was something else.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    A puncture or mechanical is one thing, a crash caused by someone else (or even within his own team) is a bit different, dont you think? Movistar always seem to be the bad boys when these situations crop up.

But they are far more down to bad luck than crashes often are which can be down to handling, and judgement. Now you can say they are down to bad luck if the guy in front goes down, but surely it's a risk of racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I can't see beyond Van Der Poel for the World's.
    He didn't skip the MTB World Champs. for nothing and he's flying' at the moment.
    And the course suits him down to the ground.
    I suppose that's why he's 5/2.

Sure MVP is very strong but will be well marked and not brought to the line

Matthews looks good now too

Will be very hard for Bennett because of the distance and multiple climbs. If he can hide in the pack

My favourite is Gilbert not least cos Belgium have such a strong team

If Dan Martin has any format all Ireland could do a late attack and leave Bennett to save energy in the pack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Bennett just pipped on the last stage - he just about squeezed through a gap and it slowed him down a little and probably cost him the stage, very unlucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

marvin80 wrote: »
    Bennett just pipped on the last stage - he just about squeezed through a gap and it slowed him down a little and probably cost him the stage, very unlucky.

The lack of a lead out was a huge factor.

Advertisement