Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mid-low range e-bike: carrera crossfuse? or alternative?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

mikelata wrote: »
    So, the suggestion is to look for other bikes with performance line motors?
    I will check. I wonder whether that will bring the bike to a different cost range

The motor is the 'active line plus' sometimes referred to as the ALP. Its a Gen 3 motor - the latest reasonable Bosch motor architecture. Its major advantage is little or no drag above the 25kph cutoff.

Actually I have it wrong, the two bikes you have listed above seem to have the ALP motor and it seems to have a 50nm torque - not the incorrect 63nm I said, apologies pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Ferris wrote: »
    The motor is the 'active line plus' sometimes referred to as the ALP. Its a Gen 3 motor - the latest reasonable Bosch motor architecture. Its major advantage is little or no drag above the 25kph cutoff.

I have the plus and there’s still quite a bit of drag. It’s also fairly noisy, especially in sport and turbo mode. That said, There’s considerably less drag then other bikes I tried and I couldn’t fault it any other way. It’s smooth, quick and extremely responsive. It’s an excellent motor and I wouldn’t look any further if buying again.

Really, I tried one and it was much better above the cutoff compared to my CX, night and day really. I once had to cycle 26km without power on my bike, nearly killed me, its like cycling through mud.

Your motor has the large front cog right? with thirtysomething teeth? Not the 15 tooth front cogs of the gen 2 motors.

Really, I tried one and it was much better above the cutoff compared to my CX, night and day really.

I agree with you that it’s a whole lot better then the CX but the cutoff still feels like someone’s jammed on the brakes.

Mind you that’s only when I forget to switch it off.

Honestly, I did a lot of research and trying before spending that kind of money on a bike and the active line plus was the only option I considered in the end. I chose the bike based on that motor but it’s not drag free and it’s pretty noisy when it gets going.

I’m just sharing my experience with OP before they buy but of course our experiences will vary. For example you may be a lot fitter or more used to cycling standard bikes and therefore notice it less.

And yeah it’s the latest gen. I only bought it last year.

Fair play, your experience is more valid.

I remember forgetting to charge my battery and having to cycle 26k to work unassisted, nearly killed me

I remember forgetting to charge my battery and having to cycle 26k to work unassisted, nearly killed me

26km unassisted on the plus would be a nightmare too. A lot of that is down to the weight of the bike of course but the drag will definitely be a killer as well especially at that distance.

I read somewhere on here that eco mode on the Bosch is basically the same as a standard pedal bike which would make sense. It counteracts the drag of the motor and weight of the bike and still leaves plenty of work for you to do.

Never had an EV but I do understand range anxiety when you push a spin just a little bit further then planned and end up on the last bar getting home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

wouldn't fancy that. I have a shorter commute, and when I forgot to charge I plugged it in right away when I copped on. I remember thinking/wondering, "hmmm, if I wait another 10mins for it to charge and and leave the house 10mins late will I arrive at the same time I would have cycling on empty.

It was not working at all one day, battery not connecting and I cycled under my own steam, I had thought it was an hour but it was only about 35mins. It just seems horrendously slow and painful.
    I read somewhere on here that eco mode on the Bosch is basically the same as a standard pedal bike which would make sense.
    Mine on eco is harder than my old hybrid, the next level up, tour mode would be easier.

I did take it out for exercise recently and it is great to be able to knock off the power on the flat to get more exercise than a regular bike, but also brilliant to be able to switch up to turbo temporarily to take off at lights safely or go through a roundabout or pass people. Or to tackle a big hill on a scenic route you otherwise would not have taken due to that hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭JMcL

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Their new radrunner looks ebike legal (250W, max 25kph) but it has a low-speed throttle for walking speed (max 6kph) which could muddy the waters. I suppose you could remove the throttle.

Interestingly, I was looking at the original EU directive in the context of another thread earlier, and one of the exemptions is:
    (a) vehicles with a maximum design speed not exceeding 6 km/h;

It'd be splitting hairs, but could it be argued that it's a vehicle of two halves, one corresponding to the above as the design of that particular system is compliant, and the other to the 25km/h pedelec standard

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

JMcL wrote: »
    Interestingly, I was looking at the original EU directive in the context of another thread earlier, and one of the exemptions is:

It'd be splitting hairs, but could it be argued that it's a vehicle of two halves, one corresponding to the above as the design of that particular system is compliant, and the other to the 25km/h pedelec standard

I'm no expert but 'walk assist' is on a lot of bicycles?

Rad Power (what a bloody cheesey name) have altered the bike for the European market. In America it has a 750W motor with full throttle. In the EU it will be sold with a 250W motor and 6km walk assist. Limited to top speed 25km.

I'm not sure if this diminishes the power of the bike by a lot and/or makes it compliant with EU standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭mikelata

hi again, I am in final cube decision step:

Touring 400 vs Nature 400

Apart from the backlight being attached to the back rack (touring) vs integrated into the mudguard (Nature) and the rack that comes with the Touring but not in the Nature... are there other differences between the bikes that I cannot see?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭mikelata

maybe the tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭curranbaz

Are you planning on using the cycle to work scheme?

Fuji/Cube etc. are all much of a muchness imo. I would rather focus on a drive type (bosch/shimano/yamaha/hub motor - Bafang) and then buy which is most comfortable, has best spec and at the best price

For instance here is a cube for 100quid less with a similar spec but with the 500wh battery https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube-acid-hybrid-one-500-allroad-29-grey-n-white-770806

Basically the same spec as the Fuji for ~1700
    https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube-cross-hybrid-one-400-allroad-iridium-n-blue-768403

Its a good time to buy, retailers are letting go of their 2019 models hence all the deals.
    I

Do you know if bike-discount.de accept payment through the cycle 2 work scheme with the remainder paid directly?

Edit: just 2 clarify, I meant the 500Wh one!

Torn between the Cube you posted & this
    https://www.cyclebike.ie/cube-nature-hybrid-one-400-allr-iri-blu-2020.html

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭curranbaz

mikelata wrote: »
    hi again, I am in final cube decision step:

Touring 400 vs Nature 400

Apart from the backlight being attached to the back rack (touring) vs integrated into the mudguard (Nature) and the rack that comes with the Touring but not in the Nature... are there other differences between the bikes that I cannot see?

Thanks

Which bike did u go with in the end? How r u finding it?

curranbaz wrote: »
    Do you know if bike-discount.de accept payment through the cycle 2 work scheme with the remainder paid directly?

Edit: just 2 clarify, I meant the 500Wh one!

Torn between the Cube you posted & this
    https://www.cyclebike.ie/cube-nature-hybrid-one-400-allr-iri-blu-2020.html

Not sure, I would doubt it. I bought my bike from chainreaction. My employer recognises them as a supplier.

Advertisement