Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mid-low range e-bike: carrera crossfuse? or alternative?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

JMcL wrote: »
    In fairness, assuming by drivetrain you mean chain and not cassette (well not every time anyway) and changring, you'd be looking at similar on a normal bike. I'd go so far as saying 2000 miles would be quite good going,. I'd get about 2000km or so on a chain, less even in winter

Whole drivetrain, chain, cassette and front cog (although you can flip the front cog). Cost maybe 55quid on bike-discount so not too bad, always kept a full drivetrain spare just in case.

mikelata wrote: »
    This bike looks deadly: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/fuji-e-traverse-1-3-intl-e-bike-2019/rp-prod179618

Bosch 400Wh Battery
    25% discounted
    integrated lighting and removable battery
    very light 21.70kg (relatively speaking)

I don't know anything about Fuji bikes though

Are you planning on using the cycle to work scheme?

Fuji/Cube etc. are all much of a muchness imo. I would rather focus on a drive type (bosch/shimano/yamaha/hub motor - Bafang) and then buy which is most comfortable, has best spec and at the best price

For instance here is a cube for 100quid less with a similar spec but with the 500wh battery https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube-acid-hybrid-one-500-allroad-29-grey-n-white-770806

Basically the same spec as the Fuji for ~1700
    https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube-cross-hybrid-one-400-allroad-iridium-n-blue-768403

Its a good time to buy, retailers are letting go of their 2019 models hence all the deals.
    I

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

What about the RadWagon or the other model they do? It looks like great value considering the price although I'm not sure if the twist throttle is 100% legal in this country yet. But still, it's something you can easily get away with.

www. radpowerbikes.com/products/radwagon-electric-cargo-bike

Sorry can't post a proper link yet just remove the space after www.

According the the RSA it's not legal. I've seen one or two Radrhinos around Dublin however.

https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/VS_Information_Notes/Two_Three_Wheeled_Vehicles/FAQs%20on%20E%20Bikes%20and%20Pedelecs%20and%20battery%20Scooters.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Their new radrunner looks ebike legal (250W, max 25kph) but it has a low-speed throttle for walking speed (max 6kph) which could muddy the waters. I suppose you could remove the throttle.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Their new radrunner looks ebike legal (250W, max 25kph) but it has a low-speed throttle for walking speed (max 6kph) which could muddy the waters. I suppose you could remove the throttle.

Yeah, i was looking at that. They look like nice machines (well for what i'd want it for anyways). The throttle might get you into trouble though.

I see Rad Power will be providing bikes to Dominoes for Pizza delivery. :D

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/13/dominos-embraces-delivery-via-e-bike-following-in-the-footsteps-of-grubhub-and-ubereats.html

• Advertisement

Walking throttles are legal, every Bosch powered bike has one.

Ferris wrote: »

This one superceeds the assist when cycling uphill to give you an extra push.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I got this one last October and am delighted with it, cracking bike, very comfy and it doesn't look like an E-Bike straight out as the battery is integrated into the frame. I upgraded the tyres to Schwalbe Marathon Plus, got a Kryptonite lock for €80 and have it insured for €14.50 a month.

I've done a couple of thousand Km's touring on the continent, have done the Grand Canal here on it and use it as a daily commuter (when Ryanair have not lost it!), it's one of the best bikes I've ever owned.

Got it off Fitzcycles who don't exist anymore.

A couple of extra questions:

- lights: fixed in the bike and use internal battery looks like a great idea. the only issue is to attract thieves when the bike is locked?
    - battery: removable makes sense for easy charging, but you will need to take it out each time you lock the bike too?

thanks a lot to everybody for your help and advice!

Cube has integrated lights and a front suspension fork which is great on Irish roads, or rough tracks.

Battery is locked, you need a key to take it out, so far I've been careful about where I lock it and its been fine, battery can be removed in less than 10 seconds with the key if you do want to take it with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

There is mention of the 25kph restriction on ebikes which I find strange. The mid motors don't have that problem at all. The motor switches off at 25kph but you can still cycle faster and will. The wheel motors are the ones that won't let you cycle faster and that is the cheap ones only.

This one superceeds the assist when cycling uphill to give you an extra push.

If you stay below 6kph the Bosch will do the same, just that its hard to do - easier to cycle. However I had a look on the Radrunner specs there and it doesnt mention the EN 15194 standard so it may not comply, worth asking.
    Ray Palmer wrote: »
    There is mention of the 25kph restriction on ebikes which I find strange. The mid motors don't have that problem at all. The motor switches off at 25kph but you can still cycle faster and will. The wheel motors are the ones that won't let you cycle faster and that is the cheap ones only.

I said that there was no assistance above 25kph, which is correct. My Bosch CX motor features a lot of transmittion drag above this speed but you can, as you say, pedal faster - its just not easy. The newer gen 3 Active Line Plus motor has little or no drag above 25kph and would be more like a regular bike, albeit heavier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I said that there was no assistance above 25kph, which is correct. My Bosch CX motor features a lot of transmittion drag above this speed but you can, as you say, pedal faster - its just not easy. The newer gen 3 Active Line Plus motor has little or no drag above 25kph and would be more like a regular bike, albeit heavier.

The Giant front hub motor one I had for a while had a freewheel in the hub so no motor resistance for higher speeds. OTOH, there was no brake regen either.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not in Ireland. No pedalling no power, otherwise it's not a pedelec.

It's a nuance that's above the RPU but an insurance assessor might catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭mikelata

Fuji/Cube etc. are all much of a muchness imo. I would rather focus on a drive type (bosch/shimano/yamaha/hub motor - Bafang) and then buy which is most comfortable, has best spec and at the best price

For instance here is a cube for 100quid less with a similar spec but with the 500wh battery https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube-acid-hybrid-one-500-allroad-29-grey-n-white-770806

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube-cross-hybrid-one-400-allroad-iridium-n-blue-768403

Its a good time to buy, retailers are letting go of their 2019 models hence all the deals.
    I

Those bikes look like a really good deal. does anybody know where I could try a Cube in Dublin?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ED E wrote: »
    Not in Ireland. No pedalling no power, otherwise it's not a pedelec.

It's a nuance that's above the RPU but an insurance assessor might catch.
    It is not a pedelec by definition of the law in regards to the finance act which covers bikes on the bike to work scheme. They appear to have done a copy and paste job from EU regs.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2008/act/25/section/7/enacted/en/html

The poster said they were legal, not that they qualified for the definition for bike to work scheme. I believe they could well be legal as the limit as I think it is the same as mobility scooters and similar. I was looking into this about escooters, can't remember the figures but I have not heard of people in electric wheelchairs being done for doing 6km/h, and many on footpaths... Electric wheelchairs are allowed on roads before some smartarse brings it up, in some countries they have higher speed limits on roads

But I did see a video saying the walk assist was not available on the US models, even though they have a more sensible 32.2km/h limit. I have said in other threads that if that was the limit here I reckon many would not go to the expense/risk/bother of derestricting theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Another vote for the lads in Greenaer..

I bought a Haibike off them last year with the Bosch CX mid mount motor and a 400 battery.

I don’t commute as I work from home but I use it for short trips out to the shops etc when it’s not worth taking the car.

It also gets me out and about more often as I can’t run anymore with my dodgy knees and walking is fine but it’s good to have variety. I don’t enjoy cycling but the ebike adds an element of fun and makes cycling enjoyable.

You can also push yourself as much or as little as you want by changing the assistance settings. You can even turn it off if you really want a workout but to be honest it’s difficult to avoid using turbo !!

I

Going for the Cube Touring Hybrid One. I like the way the battery is integrated into the frame + mudguards + rack+ integrated lights + OK weight + 400 Bosh and it is in the 1700-1800 € range

I cannot find it the cheaper 400 model in chainreactioncycles or on sale in https://www.bike-discount.de
    But I have seen it in
    https://www.pennyfarthingcycles.com/6160/products/2019-cube-touring-hybrid-one-400-electric-bike-in-black.aspx

Getting there! Thanks everybody!

this might sound like a very silly question, but is the difference between

Cube cross hybrid

and

Cube touring hybrid

that the Cross has MB wheels, and that the touring has a pannier rack ?
    The cross one appears to be 200 EUR cheaper in all places I checked. So, I could just buy a pannier rack for it and that is it

thanks

this might sound like a very silly question, but is the difference between

Cube cross hybrid

and

Cube touring hybrid

that the Cross has MB wheels, and that the touring has a pannier rack ?
    The cross one appears to be 200 EUR cheaper in all places I checked. So, I could just buy a pannier rack for it and that is it

thanks

Doesn’t seem to be much in it but hold on for a sec. both seem to have the ‘performance line cruise’ motor, I think the ‘active line plus’ has more torque (50nm vs. 63nm). Might be worth considering, I’d want the plus as a minimum myself.

I’d want the plus as a minimum myself.
    +1. When I got mine it was annoying as they only seemed to pair the higher spec motor with higher spec bikes.

There was talk in the media of subsidising ebikes, perhaps allowing more money for them via the cycle to work scheme, might be worth holding out a bit for more info as you might be kicking yourself later.

Doesn’t seem to be much in it but hold on for a sec. both seem to have the ‘performance line cruise’ motor, I think the ‘active line plus’ has more torque (50nm vs. 63nm). Might be worth considering, I’d want the plus as a minimum myself.

So, the suggestion is to look for other bikes with performance line motors?
    I will check. I wonder whether that will bring the bike to a different cost range

• Advertisement

So, the suggestion is to look for other bikes with performance line motors?
    I will check. I wonder whether that will bring the bike to a different cost range

The motor is the 'active line plus' sometimes referred to as the ALP. Its a Gen 3 motor - the latest reasonable Bosch motor architecture. Its major advantage is little or no drag above the 25kph cutoff.

Actually I have it wrong, the two bikes you have listed above seem to have the ALP motor and it seems to have a 50nm torque - not the incorrect 63nm I said, apologies pal.

The motor is the 'active line plus' sometimes referred to as the ALP. Its a Gen 3 motor - the latest reasonable Bosch motor architecture. Its major advantage is little or no drag above the 25kph cutoff.

I have the plus and there’s still quite a bit of drag. It’s also fairly noisy, especially in sport and turbo mode. That said, There’s considerably less drag then other bikes I tried and I couldn’t fault it any other way. It’s smooth, quick and extremely responsive. It’s an excellent motor and I wouldn’t look any further if buying again.

Really, I tried one and it was much better above the cutoff compared to my CX, night and day really. I once had to cycle 26km without power on my bike, nearly killed me, its like cycling through mud.

Your motor has the large front cog right? with thirtysomething teeth? Not the 15 tooth front cogs of the gen 2 motors.

Really, I tried one and it was much better above the cutoff compared to my CX, night and day really.

I agree with you that it’s a whole lot better then the CX but the cutoff still feels like someone’s jammed on the brakes.

Mind you that’s only when I forget to switch it off.

Honestly, I did a lot of research and trying before spending that kind of money on a bike and the active line plus was the only option I considered in the end. I chose the bike based on that motor but it’s not drag free and it’s pretty noisy when it gets going.

I’m just sharing my experience with OP before they buy but of course our experiences will vary. For example you may be a lot fitter or more used to cycling standard bikes and therefore notice it less.

And yeah it’s the latest gen. I only bought it last year.

Fair play, your experience is more valid.

I remember forgetting to charge my battery and having to cycle 26k to work unassisted, nearly killed me

I remember forgetting to charge my battery and having to cycle 26k to work unassisted, nearly killed me

26km unassisted on the plus would be a nightmare too. A lot of that is down to the weight of the bike of course but the drag will definitely be a killer as well especially at that distance.

I read somewhere on here that eco mode on the Bosch is basically the same as a standard pedal bike which would make sense. It counteracts the drag of the motor and weight of the bike and still leaves plenty of work for you to do.

Never had an EV but I do understand range anxiety when you push a spin just a little bit further then planned and end up on the last bar getting home.

wouldn't fancy that. I have a shorter commute, and when I forgot to charge I plugged it in right away when I copped on. I remember thinking/wondering, "hmmm, if I wait another 10mins for it to charge and and leave the house 10mins late will I arrive at the same time I would have cycling on empty.

It was not working at all one day, battery not connecting and I cycled under my own steam, I had thought it was an hour but it was only about 35mins. It just seems horrendously slow and painful.
    I read somewhere on here that eco mode on the Bosch is basically the same as a standard pedal bike which would make sense.
    Mine on eco is harder than my old hybrid, the next level up, tour mode would be easier.

I did take it out for exercise recently and it is great to be able to knock off the power on the flat to get more exercise than a regular bike, but also brilliant to be able to switch up to turbo temporarily to take off at lights safely or go through a roundabout or pass people. Or to tackle a big hill on a scenic route you otherwise would not have taken due to that hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭JMcL

cdaly_ wrote: »

Interestingly, I was looking at the original EU directive in the context of another thread earlier, and one of the exemptions is:
    (a) vehicles with a maximum design speed not exceeding 6 km/h;

It'd be splitting hairs, but could it be argued that it's a vehicle of two halves, one corresponding to the above as the design of that particular system is compliant, and the other to the 25km/h pedelec standard

JMcL wrote: »
    Interestingly, I was looking at the original EU directive in the context of another thread earlier, and one of the exemptions is:

It'd be splitting hairs, but could it be argued that it's a vehicle of two halves, one corresponding to the above as the design of that particular system is compliant, and the other to the 25km/h pedelec standard

I'm no expert but 'walk assist' is on a lot of bicycles?

Rad Power (what a bloody cheesey name) have altered the bike for the European market. In America it has a 750W motor with full throttle. In the EU it will be sold with a 250W motor and 6km walk assist. Limited to top speed 25km.

I'm not sure if this diminishes the power of the bike by a lot and/or makes it compliant with EU standards.

• Advertisement

hi again, I am in final cube decision step:

Touring 400 vs Nature 400

Apart from the backlight being attached to the back rack (touring) vs integrated into the mudguard (Nature) and the rack that comes with the Touring but not in the Nature... are there other differences between the bikes that I cannot see?

Thanks

Advertisement