Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,001 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

But I'm sure he was seen as a great catch by RTe.....he was in a famous boy band you see, and that makes him a great investment at €200k annually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

NIMAN wrote: »
    But I'm sure he was seen as a great catch by RTe.....he was in a famous boy band you see, and that makes him a great investment at €200k annually.

Well connected by marriage as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

"She thanked staff for "all their efforts across the summer"

Someone tell her that Joe Duffy has had 39 days off this year to date -- that amounts to working only 1.25 hours per day, over a 4-day week, for a salary in the region of 400k.

Effort?
    Yes but hes missing now because of his new Booook about the Nordie Kidzzz, he's an author, so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Instead of getting a 50K payrise, he should have been cut back TO 50K and even then he would be overpaid

1. Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Ray D'Arcy was the second highest paid presenter, and he saw an increase in earnings from €400,000 in 2015 to €450,000 in 2016 as his TV show aired. It was the biggest increase among the top ten earners at the State broadcaster that year.

Honestly, he should have been deducted 50k for the TV show. What an absolute waste of money.

2. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Honestly, he should have been deducted 50k for the TV show. What an absolute waste of money.

Reduced to 50k more like
      Edit ; crap,just read back and see this was already posted :(

3. Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Could be a bit of good news on the horizon.

https://extra.ie/2019/09/07/entertainment/celebrity/ray-darcy-axe-tommy-tiernan

Late night chat show hosts should be comedians if you want it to be entertaining. How long did it take RTe to work this out.

4. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

Could be a bit of good news on the horizon.

https://extra.ie/2019/09/07/entertainment/celebrity/ray-darcy-axe-tommy-tiernan

Late night chat show hosts should be comedians if you want it to be entertaining. How long did it take RTe to work this out.

the actually look quite like one another and are equally as untalented and painful to listen to.

5. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,226 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

https://m.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/ray-darcy-vows-to-take-a-pay-cut-as-rt-director-warns-staff-of-financial-situation-38476996.html

Ray clapping himself on the back.

So he will probably take a pay cut back down to what he was on when he came to RTE. Which was scandalous anyway.

6. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

BPKS wrote: »
      https://m.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/ray-darcy-vows-to-take-a-pay-cut-as-rt-director-warns-staff-of-financial-situation-38476996.html

Ray clapping himself on the back.

So he will probably take a pay cut back down to what he was on when he came to RTE. Which was scandalous anyway.

From the article

Did the salary put him under pressure to earn it, or did he think he was worth it? "I work hard. I would never say in a million years 'I'm worth it' because that's a load of w**k. Like anybody there are times when you have self doubt, that's the reality of the situation. Self-doubt is a little more common in our profession than in others."

w**k? Work? Walk? Weak? Week? Wonk? Wink? Wick..... ah, yes..... Got it

Also, I think my self doubt might lessen if I was on the thick end of 1/2 million a year.

7. Advertisement
    8. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Gimmie a bucket.

9. Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Got a mention in the paper review there on The Marion Finucane Show.

10. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

"She thanked staff for "all their efforts across the summer"

Someone tell her that Joe Duffy has had 39 days off this year to date -- that amounts to working only 1.25 hours per day, over a 4-day week, for a salary in the region of 400k.

Effort?

Hold your horses there a minute!

if he was sick for 39 days that's fair enough.

Does anyone know the reason for the absences? I would be presuming they are related to RTE work and he wouldn't be absent as such?

11. Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]

sligojoek wrote: »
      Mary Wilson would be one of the lesser obscenely paid presenters. I can take or leave her but I'll say this. She did the courts and would have a good legal brain. She's an experienced journalist and can carry a live show.

Nicky Byrne plays songs from a pre-prepared list and gets more.
      Plus she's a good Tipperary woman.

12. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

more misery stories of bad pregnancies / sick children today :confused:

13. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

I've a guilty pleasure of listening to Joe Duffy and the absolute madness of the whole thing, unfortunately as I am driving this runs into D'arcys show. I rarely get by those mind numbing soliloquy's that he 'kicks' the show off with. Its usually about his day when he spotted some such sh*te as a ladybird out of season while he was out on his run. Is this the extent of this mans existence? I personally think hes a complete fraud and hes up to all sorts, himself and Jenny dropping the car keys into the fruit bowl in some semi-d in Leixlip for a bit of swapping I would say is highly likely the way he comes across. Even if you were of his ilk surely something interesting happens day-to-day. It's absolutely dire. "Yesterday I put an ice cube into a glass of water and it was amazing to see it melt and become one again with the liquid blah blah blah"

14. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Steve Martin had a lucky escape 'back in d day '.

15. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Steve Martin had a lucky escape 'back in d day '.

I heard that while i was driving. Such an anti-climax to an anti-story.

16. Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Nobody voted for you, Ben. Just tell a joke or get the f**k out of the studio.

17. Advertisement
    18. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Buzz kill is getting worse by the day. Who even though that was possible ?.

19. Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Of course there is hatred, the guy is stealing a living off the licence payers. I was that guy once in a great paying job, but after a few months I knew I couldn't cut the mustard, and without embarrassing myself or letting the team down I knew my place to move on. Mr Darcy knows he is bulletproof so he just going through the motions and picking up his check for doing a really **** job.
      He should be put to a night time shift, and give Derek Mooney his proper slot

Was the job similar to his job or totally unrelated? You have good principles to step aside if you didn't think you were doing a good job. D'arcy has no such morales

20. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Why am I not surprised that farcy puts an egg on a pizza ?

21. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Wait..wait. farcy just said spice bags are delicious !. Who told him ?

22. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Mother of god

Where do they find these kids

23. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

“The pictures this artist draws are so good they should be framed....um well they are actually framed and sell for quite a lot of money”

Sweet Jesus

24. Advertisement
    25. Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Heard the last few minutes of Friday's show. Ray was nearly wetting himself laughing because he realised that a guest in studio had a surname of Smallhorn. Yes, very mature Ray. How old are you - 12?? FFS

26. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Listened to some of earlier part of Friday's show. Dr Eva Orsmond was the guest. Not a huge fan of hers but she had a reasonably interesting life story to tell by comparison to most. She was talking about finding out, as an adult, that she had an older half-sister in Sweden, where her father had lived before moving to Finland.

She was describing how her half-sister tracked the family down using the father's surname and a website. Immediately Ray interrupted to Tell her i.e. mansplain how the sister would have traced them, all about Ancestry websites and DNA checking and if they find a match so on. Unbelievably rude and presumptous, telling a guest he knew more about their life story than they did themselves. Turns out it had nothing to so with DNA testing at all and Eva wasn't long setting him right.

What a clown he is.

27. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Given up listening to his drivel.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahah

28. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

Eco-anxiety? Don't let them read the Second Sleep!

29. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

Obviously, kids in the UK didn't have any eco-anxiety during the blitz. You could come up from the underground and the street had vaporised. My mum was terrified of an air raid siren till the day she passed away

30. Advertisement
    31. Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

400K to tell you the name changes of candy bars.

32. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

"We know how you all love confectionery nostalgia"

33. Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

ffs He couldn't even play Drive by The Cars. Is there nothing he can do right!!

34. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

"We know how you all love confectionery nostalgia"

Wasn't it Marianne Faithful who said that??

35. Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Radio5 wrote: »
      Listened to some of earlier part of Friday's show. Dr Eva Orsmond was the guest. Not a huge fan of hers but she had a reasonably interesting life story to tell by comparison to most. She was talking about finding out, as an adult, that she had an older half-sister in Sweden, where her father had lived before moving to Finland.

She was describing how her half-sister tracked the family down using the father's surname and a website. Immediately Ray interrupted to Tell her i.e. mansplain how the sister would have traced them, all about Ancestry websites and DNA checking and if they find a match so on. Unbelievably rude and presumptous, telling a guest he knew more about their life story than they did themselves. Turns out it had nothing to so with DNA testing at all and Eva wasn't long setting him right.

What a clown he is.

Since he moved to RTE he has really become pompous. One of the things I liked about him on the Den and the early years on today fm is he seemed fairly down to earth but he has changed enormously. Due to Jenny and money or a combination of both.

36. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭mountain

Wasn't it Marianne Faithful who said that??

Mars bars....?

37. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

mountain wrote: »
      Mars bars....?

I've never been able to look at them since without that thought popping into my mind.....

38. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Why am I not surprised that farcy puts an egg on a pizza ?

I wonder is there a porridge pizza option in the Ray's house.

39. Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Could you not at least wake the guest up first before you put them to sleep, Ray?

40. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

Could you not at least wake the guest up first before you put them to sleep, Ray?

This is truly dreadful radio.

41. Advertisement
    42. Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭LennieB

I find it really hard to listen to Ray anymore, he’s getting worse - and those annoying habits he has of repeating lines and emphasizing certain words eg when introducing someone like Conor POPE (nearly shouting his surname). Just makes him sound so unprofessional and forced - same on his tv show.

43. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Nobody voted for you, Ben. Just tell a joke or get the f**k out of the studio.

Ben Elton is Jewish. :D:D:D:D:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I mean of course he is. An atheist Jew, aren't they all.

Must say i got a chuckle out of that interview,

Ray imagines homosexual priests abusing kids when he hears the Angela's.....but that's A-OK to pronounce on national radio.

44. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

LennieB wrote: »
      I find it really hard to listen to Ray anymore, he’s getting worse - and those annoying habits he has of repeating lines and emphasizing certain words eg when introducing someone like Conor POPE (nearly shouting his surname). Just makes him sound so unprofessional and forced - same on his tv show.

Be careful there Leonard, I criticised his introduction of a Westlife dude a while back, nearly going berserk over some non entity over the hill individual,and some geezer tried to fillet me for saying more or less what you are saying.

Just a heads up pal........

45. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

kathryn thomas as a guest on the show today at the ploughing...SHOUTING SHOUTING HIMSELF MYSELF as usual !!

GO AWAY WOMAN !

46. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

From the ploughing we have KT plugging Op Trans and DG plugging Bannons show. This morning Tubbs had Karl Henry plugging Op Trans as well. I turned over before I go to find out what Marty Morrissey was plugging.

From what I can see, they're sending all their talent down at great expense to plug upcoming shows.

47. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Never knew Kathryn got married and had a child

48. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Never knew Kathryn got married and had a child

:rolleyes:

49. Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

She kept that very quiet.

50. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

From the ploughing we have KT plugging Op Trans and DG plugging Bannons show. This morning Tubbs had Karl Henry plugging Op Trans as well. I turned over before I go to find out what Marty Morrissey was plugging.

From what I can see, they're sending all their talent down at great expense to plug upcoming shows.

Ah jeysis SJ, you almost had me,you lost me at "what Marty Morrissey was plugging," :)
      I threw up a little bit..

51. Advertisement
    52. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

jelutong wrote: »
      She kept that very quiet.

The 4th glorious mystery ;)

Advertisement