Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All things Mavic Air

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

tedpan wrote: »
    Yep, a child could fly it! Have you got any footage to share? :)

:) yeah but files are pretty big 2GB and more), any idea how to make them smaller?

Edit:
    figured out that will need to use iMovie on my MacBook :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭ozmo

:) yeah but files are pretty big 2GB and more), any idea how to make them smaller?

Controversial I know - but recording using 2K makes substantially smaller files - uploaded to youtube - youtube then reduces the quality again a lot - but at least its not sitting doing nothing on the harddrvie.

The builtin DJI app can make some nice 30 second summary videos - which keeps the video interesting - the quality is not the best either at I think only 720p - but its good for emailing.

Editing 4K videos is a total pain unless you have a high end pc and purchased software - I posted elsewhere some free command line tools to quickly losslessly cut and join 4K files that worked for me.

“Roll it back”

thanks mate, will try at home and post YT links later on
    for now, 3 frames from yesterdays flight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

thanks mate, will try at home and post YT links later on
    for now, 3 frames from yesterdays flight :)

As you can see from my previous posts I am far from an expert, but is everything ok with those photos, i.e are you allowed that high - perspective could be fooling me too, in a busy city?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

jogdish wrote:
    As you can see from my previous posts I am far from an expert, but is everything ok with those photos, i.e are you allowed that high - perspective could be fooling me too, in a busy city?

That's Dublin, there's a big needle pointing at the sky :)

• Advertisement

ozmo wrote: »
    Editing 4K videos is a total pain unless you have a high end pc and purchased software - I posted elsewhere some free command line tools to quickly losslessly cut and join 4K files that worked for me.

^^exactly!

Here's some 1080p footage which is good enough for me..

jogdish wrote: »

well, guess I went a bit too high :)

well, guess I went a bit too high

Beautiful shots though

ok, first aerial video up..dont get bored to death :)https://youtu.be/MJqu6V_PZqw

for some reason quality is ****e :(

Also - try out some of the photos to 3d model programs. That water tower would have looked great.

Eg.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wp5d7z0L3x8

Free and trial software can be found here:
    Mapsmadeeasy.com
    Pix4d.com

And i find https://www.dronedeploy.com/ easiest.

The sperical mode in the dji drones can be used to create 360 scrollable images in facebook and twitter using free microsoft ice- they are very cool.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

Also - try out some of the photos to 3d model programs. That water tower would have looked great.

Eg.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wp5d7z0L3x8

Free and trial software can be found here:
    Mapsmadeeasy.com
    Pix4d.com

And i find https://www.dronedeploy.com/ easiest.

The sperical mode in the dji drones can be used to create 360 scrollable images in facebook and twitter using free microsoft ice- they are very cool.

thanks mate!
    this 3D thingy looks uber cool

Okay, having trouble with interpretation of the law.

I was flying my mavic, between 10-20m in a playing field that was empty, I had neglected to notice the playing field was close to a hospital and a helicopter was there.

According to the Irish aviation map, and the DJI map the air space is not restricted, but obviously it is used, and since the helicopter was close I assume its altitude is low.

I assume the answer is just don't fly there?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Okay, having trouble with interpretation of the law.

I was flying my mavic, between 10-20m in a playing field that was empty, I had neglected to notice the playing field was close to a hospital and a helicopter was there.

According to the Irish aviation map, and the DJI map the air space is not restricted, but obviously it is used, and since the helicopter was close I assume its altitude is low.

I assume the answer is just don't fly there?
    The rules go beyond just restricted airspace, in theory you really have the most isolated legal cause to actually fly it if you follow the rules. Highlighting the below three areas of the rules that you could in theory be in breech of.

Never operate your drone:
    •If it will be a hazard to another aircraft in flight
    •over an assembly of people -12 persons or more
    •farther than 300m from the person operating the drone
    •within 30m of any person, vessel or structure not under the control of the person operating the drone
    •closer than 5km from an aerodrome
    •in a negligent or reckless manner so as to endanger life or property of others
    •over 400ft (120m) above ground level
    •over urban areas
    •in civil or military controlled airspace
    •in restricted areas (e.g. military installations, prisons, etc.)
    •unless the person operating the drone has permission from the landowner for take-off and landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Hey folks,
    Recently picked up a Mavic Air. Enjoying so far. Couple of limitations for me thus far, one being unable to see phone screen in sun shine, so need to pick up a shade for it. Any one have any cheap recommendations?

Cheers.

Hey folks,
    Recently picked up a Mavic Air. .. unable to see phone screen in sun shine, so need to pick up a shade for it. Any one have any cheap recommendations?

Cheers.

My Mavic Pro came with one in the box... sort of... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI2xWGeykuE
    https://mavicpilots.com/threads/free-mavic-sunshade-omg.12640/

Maybe a similar trick will work for the Mavic air ?

“Roll it back”

My Mavic Pro came with one in the box... sort of... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI2xWGeykuE
    https://mavicpilots.com/threads/free-mavic-sunshade-omg.12640/

Maybe a similar trick will work for the Mavic air ?

lol what a hack :) thanks for sharing mate.

Hey folks,
    Recently picked up a Mavic Air. Enjoying so far. Couple of limitations for me thus far, one being unable to see phone screen in sun shine, so need to pick up a shade for it. Any one have any cheap recommendations?

Cheers.

just wondering, did you get Master Airscrew 'stealth' props yet? If not, get a set (approx. £22 on amazon uk), well worth the money :)

just wondering, did you get Master Airscrew 'stealth' props yet? If not, get a set (approx. £22 on amazon uk), well worth the money :)

I'm tempted, but from reading around online:
    - The audio in youtube tests honestly doesn't sound a whole lot different (but very hard to tell over computer)

- Non official props, is there any downsides?

I'm tempted, but from reading around online:
    - The audio in youtube tests honestly doesn't sound a whole lot different (but very hard to tell over computer)

- Non official props, is there any downsides?

one thing only, they're seem to look and feel more fragile than original ones and to be honest, managed to break one prop already (got second set already) hitting hay straw on take off :)
    anyways, youre right, YT videos doesn't give full impression, If you're in Dublin by any chance, can meet you and you'll get a chance to compare them by yourself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Hey folks,

Cheers.
    What phone are you using?
    I got one for ipad mini off aliexpress (as well as a few other items)
    Great quality for the price.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32845376374.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dEbpjDB

one thing only, they're seem to look and feel more fragile than original ones and to be honest, managed to break one prop already (got second set already) hitting hay straw on take off :)
    anyways, youre right, YT videos doesn't give full impression, If you're in Dublin by any chance, can meet you and you'll get a chance to compare them by yourself :)
    Very kind thank you, sadly not near dublin anytime soon.

I've heard lots of voltage and motor issues using the master airscrew. I almost bought them after watching YouTube videos boasting 2 mins more flight time and noise reduction but decided against them after reading nearly every review online, there's a lot of good, but many bad too! :D Read the negative reviews on Amazon, I wouldn't want to risk wrecking it when it flies perfectly with the stock props but does make an annoying 'drone'.

I've heard lots of voltage and motor issues using the master airscrew. I almost bought them after watching YouTube videos boasting 2 mins more flight time and noise reduction but decided against them after reading nearly every review online, there's a lot of good, but many bad too! :D Read the negative reviews on Amazon, I wouldn't want to risk wrecking it when it flies perfectly with the stock props but does make an annoying 'drone'.

This is exactly my feelings, my air was not cheap and it gets treated with all the care and love I can - it could be a genius marketing gimmick but I feel I should stick with DJI gear.

Then again I can only assume its not a huge engineering challenge, given the quiet props on the pro. So maybe as the Air mark 2 debues the Air will get quiet prop refresh/up sell? I think similar happened with the original Pro.

Side point, I was in a park saw a pro2, and all I did was see it, no whine till I was a meters away laterally.

There ware some issues with 1st version of the props, v.2 which is on amazon is free of. I guess that most likely people forgot to change drone settings as per props manual :) I've flown my Air with default settings (forgot to change it too :) ) and no errors whatsoever. Didn't try speed mode tho but a few 2km long flights in pretty strong wind would indicate issues if any :)

Took the drone out:

https://youtu.be/ZzJppRfL9sM

Took the drone out:

https://youtu.be/ZzJppRfL9sM

nice video ..and love this calm music :)

guys, I've requested separate drones forum

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058014701

please like my request and comment underneath so we might get lucky if enough of likes collected :)

Cheers,
    Kris

done, and thanks for the compliment

• Advertisement

guys, just a quick one:
    from now on (if you like it :) ) please post all of 'usual' stuff on the forum request topic

Cheers,
    Kris

Advertisement