Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Line Closure Abbey St-The Point - 21 May (21.00)-End of July

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Noise Annoys

I'm still trying to get my head around why you can only touch on/off the bus by using the Jervis stop...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I'm still trying to get my head around why you can only touch on/off the bus by using the Jervis stop...

I imagine it's because the buses, if they have Leap card readers, wouldn't be configured to Luas fares. Also, bus readers are designed to tag on only, whereas Luas readers are tag on and off. So if you tagged "on" on the bus at The Point, then got on the Luas and tagged "off" somewhere after Jervis, you'd actually be tagging "on" as far as the Luas readers were concerned and therefore charged twice.

I don't know what that means for people who only travel Busaras to The Point every day though. Free journeys for 2 months??

That's the part I don't understand. I get the Luas from Abbey St to the Point every morning, and back from the Point in the evening.
    When the line is closed, will I have to go up to Jervis to get the bus? It doesn't seem to make sense. Sure, it's not a million miles, but for commuters it's illogical.

BTW I've emailed and tweeted Luas the same question, but no reply yet.

That's the part I don't understand. I get the Luas from Abbey St to the Point every morning, and back from the Point in the evening.
    When the line is closed, will I have to go up to Jervis to get the bus? It doesn't seem to make sense. Sure, it's not a million miles, but for commuters it's illogical.

Either way, they're not going to be able to check tickets on the buses as they've told everyone to tag off/wait to tag on at Jervis. I doubt they mean you HAVE to go to Jervis though (if you're at Busaras or Connolly going to the docks, for example, that'd be tripling your journey). I don't think this has been thought through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

No you won't have to go to Jervis.

The replacement bus service will stop at various points along the quays near to where the Luas stops are

e.g Abbey St Luas stop will be replaced by the following stops

(To Point) Stop #297 Eden Quay, Marlborough Street (currently 14 , 151 stop)
    (To Jervis) Stop #301 Eden Quay, Marlborough Street (currently served by 14, 15, 142, 151)

• Advertisement

So, my bus journey will be free, I guess!

No you won't have to go to Jervis.

The replacement bus service will stop at various points along the quays near to where the Luas stops are

e.g Abbey St Luas stop will be replaced by the following stops

(To Point) Stop #297 Eden Quay, Marlborough Street (currently 14 , 151 stop)
    (To Jervis) Stop #301 Eden Quay, Marlborough Street (currently served by 14, 15, 142, 151)

But their question is about tagging on - the Luas posts say you can only tag on at Jervis. Now, I don't think that means people travelling from Abbey to The Point have to go to Jervis, but Noise Annoys raises an interesting question - how do they pay for their journey WITHOUT going to Jervis?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

So, my bus journey will be free, I guess!

You'll need a valid leap card or Luas ticket .. there is no way to tag on when boarding bus as they are not set up for tag on/tag off operation or for Luas fares

I will have a valid Leap Card alright, one that I use on Dublin bus journeys. But unless Luas put their ticket inspectors on the replacement buses, it looks like you'll be able to board/alight from any other stop without paying (i.e without tagging at Jervis).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I will have a valid Leap Card alright, one that I use on Dublin bus journeys. But unless Luas put their ticket inspectors on the replacement buses, it looks like you'll be able to board/alight from any other stop without paying (i.e without tagging at Jervis).

Would you not have to tag on at the luas stop nearest to the bus stop you board the bus at?

https://www.luas.ie/assets/files/RPA%20Marketing%20Campaign/Luas%20Replacement%20Bus%20Service_Route%20Map1.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,825 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've just got the luas outbound from Jervis.... 4pm on a Friday and i had to wait for three trams before i could get into one.... the mind absolutely boggles at what it will be like when Jervis is catering for the demand for the whole line from the Point up.... :eek:

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Would you not have to tag on at the luas stop nearest to the bus stop you board the bus at?

https://www.luas.ie/assets/files/RPA%20Marketing%20Campaign/Luas%20Replacement%20Bus%20Service_Route%20Map1.pdf

My understanding from the information that Luas released is that these stops will not be accessible. There is no information on their site regarding touching on/off anywhere other than Jervis when these stops are closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,555 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

My understanding from the information that Luas released is that these stops will not be accessible. There is no information on their site regarding touching on/off anywhere other than Jervis when these stops are closed.

Whatever about tagging on/off - the various LUAS stops will still be accessible, but just won't be served by trams. I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that they'll be inaccessible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The maps of the individual bus stop areas seem to have it more clearly.

https://www.luas.ie/assets/files/RPA%20Marketing%20Campaign/Abbey%20Street%20Info%20Leaflet.pdf
    You must have a Valid Luas Ticket or a Leap Card to use the Replacement Bus
    Service.
    To get the right Leap Card fare for Red Line trips to the City Centre Touch Off
    at Jervis. To get the right Leap Card fare for Red Line trips to the Docklands*
    Touch Off at the Luas stop closest to the Bus Stop
    (*George’s Dock – The
    Point).
    For Red Line Trips to Tallaght /Saggart Touch On at Jervis stop; Don’t Touch
    On on the Bus.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I've just got the luas outbound from Jervis.... 4pm on a Friday and i had to wait for three trams before i could get into one.... the mind absolutely boggles at what it will be like when Jervis is catering for the demand for the whole line from the Point up.... :eek:

I am genuinely quite worried about this. As far as I can see, there just isn't space on that platform for those numbers of people! They used to have to set up a queuing system at Abbey St when matches were on & Connolly was closed, but there's no room for them to set that up at Jervis. I can't see it being safe at rush hour, with a full bus load of people arriving on top of the hundreds who already wait there. As you say, every tram arrives full to Jervis at peak times. Capacity is 358 people. Will 358+ people fit at that stop?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd be more worried about the planing permission for the tram service. If there's so many people hanging about the Jervis st stop, that it'd prevent people moving up or down Abbey st, I can't see this being fully compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I am genuinely quite worried about this. As far as I can see, there just isn't space on that platform for those numbers of people! They used to have to set up a queuing system at Abbey St when matches were on & Connolly was closed, but there's no room for them to set that up at Jervis. I can't see it being safe at rush hour, with a full bus load of people arriving on top of the hundreds who already wait there. As you say, every tram arrives full to Jervis at peak times. Capacity is 358 people. Will 358+ people fit at that stop?! :eek:

Very poorly thought out altogether.

With the location of the bus stops the buses will have to continue down the quays to at least Wood Quay to turn around anyway.

If it was me, I'd run the buses down to James Joyce bridge and then left onto Benburb St to set down and pick up opposite the National Museum entrance.

Also AFAIR the only crossovers east of Heuston are a trailing set between Smithfield and Four Courts and the set after Abbey St. stop. That is going to mean single line running east of Smithfield reducing capacity not to mention the risks with running wrong line on the shared sections where road traffic can be met head on.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Very poorly thought out altogether.

With the location of the bus stops the buses will have to continue down the quays to at least Wood Quay to turn around anyway.

If it was me, I'd run the buses down to James Joyce bridge and then left onto Benburb St to set down and pick up opposite the National Museum entrance.

Also AFAIR the only crossovers east of Heuston are a trailing set between Smithfield and Four Courts and the set after Abbey St. stop. That is going to mean single line running east of Smithfield reducing capacity not to mention the risks with running wrong line on the shared sections where road traffic can be met head on.

The only problem with bringing the buses too far past Jervis is that some people need to get off at the Four Courts and Smithfield stops. If the buses had to stop anyway, people would probably get off there to join the Luas rather than wait in traffic on the quays. But at least the outbound platforms at those two stops are much wider, don't have buildings' main entrances opening on to them and don't already have a few thousand people a day waiting on them.

I hadn't thought of the issues with crossings either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Is there any information on the level of service to Jervis? As there is no crossover point until after Abbey Street, will it be a single line operation between Smithfield and Jervis?

If a passenger is traveling from The Point in the direction of Dame Street, are they expected to get off a bus at Halpenny Bridge, walk to Jervis to tag off and then walk back towards Halpenny Bridge to continue their journey?

What time will the last tram operate from Jervis? Will it wait until after 00:45 for the bus to connect. And will the last bus to The Point wait until the last tram arrives from Tallaght?

I couldn't see this information on the Luas website.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Luas.ie now saying the bus is free.
    They're also saying there's leapcard validator on the bus, and it will be turned on so you could be charged a bus fare if you tag on.
    It seems daft to have a working leapcard validator on a route when you're offering a free service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The replacement bus service runs from The Point to Jervis. I think it should be running all the way to Heuston because there is far more space for people there instead of Jervis, and it will also alleviate a lot of pressure at the already crowded Jervis stop because a significant amount of people disembark at Heuston during rush hour. That longer route would require more buses to maintain the frequency but they need to think of passenger safety and minimum disruption. It is only short term and they should have budgeted the required number of buses for this project anyway. I think a former Dublin Bus route used to go from Heuston to IFSC anyway, so it is hardly unprecedented.

I have two options. Walk from IFSC to O'Connell St and get a normal Dublin Bus home, or use the Luas bus and get the tram at Jervis. Jervis is an unpleasant situation at the best of times, so I think I'll take the former option.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I have two options. Walk from IFSC to O'Connell St and get a normal Dublin Bus home, or use the Luas bus and get the tram at Jervis. Jervis is an unpleasant situation at the best of times, so I think I'll take the former option.

Same here, I'm avoiding the Red line out right until this is finished, far to much hassle involved.

With Jervis being the first stop in the mornings every tram is going to be a pure rat race to squeeze on to at any time of the day. Then more than likely having to stand for the rest of the 50min trip.

Just going to bus it all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Luas.ie now saying the bus is free. They're also saying there's leapcard validator on the bus, and it will be turned on so you could be charged a bus fare if you tag on. It seems daft to have a working leapcard validator on a route when you're offering a free service.

If Dublin bus are logically providing the buses then there is going to be the validator that's in place and why would they have to do some sort of system update to turn it off.

It would seem to only be daft for people to use it when they've already tagged on for their luas journey and transferring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

If Dublin bus are logically providing the buses then there is going to be the validator that's in place and why would they have to do some sort of system update to turn it off.

It would seem to only be daft for people to use it when they've already tagged on for their luas journey and transferring.

The Dublin Bus Ticket machine and validator are only live if the driver has logged on to a route/duty. If DB are running the Luas replacement it won't be live, it would effectively be a private hire for DB.

Tonight it was only running from Smithfield to Tallaght/Saggart (not Jervis) from 8:30pm. But that information was not mentioned anywhere - not on their website, not on their Twitter, not on their app, not on their Facebook page, not in any of the posters, not on their press releases and not even on the screens at Jervis when I got there. :mad: There was a very badly written sentence that said it was "closed from fourcourts to the point" that only came up on the screen every couple of minutes at Jervis, alternating with a bigger message about power cables being live during the closure. A lot of people were waiting in the rain at Four Courts too, thinking it meant trams were starting there. No staff members around to help. I don't know if they were more helpful on the buses (if the buses even ran tonight, I didn't see any and no big influx of people arrived together when I eventually got a tram at Smithfield). Poor organisation and non-existent communication.

If this is a sign of things to come, I am not hopeful for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

New set of temp points at Jevis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    New set of temp points at Jevis

Nice big yellow ones! :P saw them already tearing up the concrete round the tracks on o'connell street and malbourough street as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Tonight it was only running from Smithfield to Tallaght/Saggart (not Jervis) from 8:30pm. But that information was not mentioned anywhere - not on their website, not on their Twitter, not on their app, not on their Facebook page, not in any of the posters, not on their press releases and not even on the screens at Jervis when I got there. :mad: There was a very badly written sentence that said it was "closed from fourcourts to the point" that only came up on the screen every couple of minutes at Jervis, alternating with a bigger message about power cables being live during the closure. A lot of people were waiting in the rain at Four Courts too, thinking it meant trams were starting there. No staff members around to help. I don't know if they were more helpful on the buses (if the buses even ran tonight, I didn't see any and no big influx of people arrived together when I eventually got a tram at Smithfield). Poor organisation and non-existent communication.

If this is a sign of things to come, I am not hopeful for the next few weeks.

The buses were running last night, but were rather quiet....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Tomorrow morning and afternoon will be the real test, I can see disaster all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

So I walked past Jervis stop today and the real-time information screens didn't have actual luas times but only info that trams were running every ten minutes. Is this how it's going to be until the rest of the line reopens? No RTPI?

Advertisement