Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Line Closure Abbey St-The Point - 21 May (21.00)-End of July

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Im located between Spencor Dock and Mayor Sq and you could wall it in 15 minutes.....not that far!

Yes no problem to walk - as long as you are not laden down with shopping (no car)

And this is the Irish summer - and it rains quite regularly, that's the usual reason for taking the Luas in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

geecee wrote: »
    According to the ladies at the luas stops you need to swipe on before boarding the bus - otherwise you will be caught by revenue protection guys

Tell them to read their own website.
    luas.ie wrote:
    You don’t need a ticket for the replacement bus.

https://www.luas.ie/lcc-rlti-summer2016/

Then tell them if they want to play at revenue enforcement, point to the nearest group of scumbags, and suggest they start there.

Then again making a beeline for anyone who looks like they may be a taxpayer while ignoring the various classes of scum is the modus operandi for the red line revenue lot isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Tell them to read their own website.

I think that's a bit of an unfair snip Vic_08
    The full text reads:

However, you do need a valid ticket for tram services. Leap Card customers should Touch On/Off at Jervis stop. Customers who buy tickets from ticket machines should buy a ticket to/from Jervis stop

So you DO have to have a Valid luas ticket, just not a Dublin Bus ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

geecee wrote: »
    I think that's a bit of an unfair snip Vic_08
    The full text reads:

However, you do need a valid ticket for tram services. Leap Card customers should Touch On/Off at Jervis stop. Customers who buy tickets from ticket machines should buy a ticket to/from Jervis stop

So you DO have to have a Valid luas ticket, just not a Dublin Bus ticket

A valid ticket seems to be one touched on or off at jervis. So as I said you don't need a ticket for the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

A valid ticket seems to be one touched on or off at jervis. So as I said you don't need a ticket for the bus

That's how I read it too - if you're buying paper tickets to/from Jervis, then you don't need one past there, so they can't do inspections on the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Signs all say no tickets is required for the bus. So I assume no tag on is required?

Afaik tag on at point or other closed stops is only necessary if traveling to or beyond Jervis stop. The bus is effectively free between the point and Jervis but they don't want to advertise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

If you are only travelling between the Point and Jervis, you do not need to either tag on/off or buy a ticket.

If your journey starts between the Point and Abbey St and you're going to beyond Jervis then you should tag on/off at Jervis or buy a ticket there.

The bus is effectively free.

There is no need to be going anywhere near the LUAS stops that are closed - just hop on the bus and enjoy the free trip!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

lxflyer wrote: »
    If you are only travelling between the Point and Jervis, you do not need to either tag on/off or buy a ticket.

If your journey starts between the Point and Abbey St and you're going to beyond Jervis then you should tag on/off at Jervis or buy a ticket there.

The bus is effectively free.

There is no need to be going anywhere near the LUAS stops that are closed - just hop on the bus and enjoy the free trip!

There was a lot of people getting on bus stop at abbey street toddy and then walking to the o2 stop to tag off after getting off bus near there.

Should they be simply not paying at all?

devnull wrote: »
    There was a lot of people getting on bus stop at abbey street toddy and then walking to the o2 stop to tag off after getting off bus near there.

Should they be simply not paying at all?

Correct - they shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Realistically, the tag machines on the closed tram stops should be turned off, with hoods saying the bus is free to Jervis.

• Advertisement

Traffic was terrible from the Point tonight, 35 minutes to Jervis.

Would have been quicker to walk, not helped by no adherence to bus lane and the fact the whole quays don't have bus priority on them. First half of the journey took about 25 minutes and last half took 10 minutes, big gaps between buses as well.

First time I've done that journey, was it because of Friday night traffic or Springsteen or is that reguarly so bad? If so It's easier just to walk.

I'd imagine Springsteen and the soccer match caused most of the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Traffic was terrible from the Point tonight, 35 minutes to Jervis.

Would have been quicker to walk, not helped by no adherence to bus lane and the fact the whole quays don't have bus priority on them. First half of the journey took about 25 minutes and last half took 10 minutes, big gaps between buses as well.

First time I've done that journey, was it because of Friday night traffic or Springsteen or is that reguarly so bad? If so It's easier just to walk.

In fairness the bus lane along there is 7 - 7 Mon - Sat so wouldn't have been a bus lane after the gig. For situations like this it should be, I grant you that, but sadly its not.

In fairness the bus lane along there is 7 - 7 Mon - Sat so wouldn't have been a bus lane after the gig. For situations like this it should be, I grant you that, but sadly its not.

It was about half 5

Getting down first half of quays was very slow but second half very quick

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Noise Annoys

The bus down from the stop just past the Abbey Theatre down to the Point in the morning is a joy - pretty much empty and sometimes it's quicker than the Luas.

And it IS free. As someone said above, they just don't want to shout about it, so they use confusing language instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Any idea on how these works are progressing? I suspect the deadline was soft and was wondering if work was going well?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Any idea on how these works are progressing? I suspect the deadline was soft and was wondering if work was going well?

The Abbey Street square crossover has been laid into place, with the Marlborough Street crossover not too far behind it. There is a good deal more to do so it's hard to say for sure if it will finish ahead of schedule but so far so good.

The bus down from the stop just past the Abbey Theatre down to the Point in the morning is a joy - pretty much empty and sometimes it's quicker than the Luas.

In the evenings it certainly isn't the other way around, can take up to 30 minutes, I switched to Dublin Biikes and never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

In the evenings it certainly isn't the other way around, can take up to 30 minutes, I switched to Dublin Biikes and never looked back.

The problem here is that there's a "ahead only" bus lane at the corner of North Wall Quay and Talbot Bridge that leads out in front of Custom House. This "ahead only" condition is constantly ignored by taxis, coaches, and Dublin Buses. Actually yesterday I saw a "Not In Service" Dublin Bus use that lane, then turn left, cut across the legitimate left turn lane and take a left off the Talbot Bridge onto City Quay.

MJohnston wrote: »
    The problem here is that there's a "ahead only" bus lane at the corner of North Wall Quay and Talbot Bridge that leads out in front of Custom House. This "ahead only" condition is constantly ignored by taxis, coaches, and Dublin Buses. Actually yesterday I saw a "Not In Service" Dublin Bus use that lane, then turn left, cut across the legitimate left turn lane and take a left off the Talbot Bridge onto City Quay.

No Dublin Bus routes operate over the Matt Talbot bridge anymore, so what you saw must be a very rare occurrence for them. There's only one Ringsend route (15) that might need to use it for positioning out of service buses back to the depot.

But as you rightly say - anything turning left should be in the left turning lane.

• Advertisement

No Dublin Bus routes operate over the Matt Talbot bridge anymore, so what you saw must be a very rare occurrence for them. There's only one Ringsend route (15) that might need to use it for positioning out of service buses back to the depot.

But as you rightly say - anything turning left should be in the left turning lane.

Yeah, it's nearly always private and public coach operators (and of course many many taxis) that I see doing this, it's really rare to see a DB (although the Luas buses are there of course). Yeah, he was clearly heading back to Ringsend and didn't want to wait in the left lane.

In fairness to him, that junction is poorly designed - if anyone is coming down there wanting to head up Moss Street or around to City Quay, they have to sit in a massive queue of traffic that can barely ever move onto the George's Quay lanes because it's so backed up.

But still, because of that, left turners in the straight ahead bus lane usually end up blocking it because of this.

Yeah, it's nearly always private and public coach operators (and of course many many taxis) that I see doing this, it's really rare to see a DB (although the Luas buses are there of course). Yeah, he was clearly heading back to Ringsend and didn't want to wait in the left lane.

In fairness to him, that junction is poorly designed - if anyone is coming down there wanting to head up Moss Street or around to City Quay, they have to sit in a massive queue of traffic that can barely ever move onto the George's Quay lanes because it's so backed up.

But still, because of that, left turners in the straight ahead bus lane usually end up blocking it because of this.

The LUAS buses use Custom House Quay and Eden Quay - as I said no routes go over that bridge anymore.

The LUAS buses use Custom House Quay and Eden Quay - as I said no routes go over that bridge anymore.

You misread, I wasn't saying the Luas buses went over the bridge.

there is general a lot of crap driving on those quays Westbound in the evenings, that doesn't help the delays to the LUAS bus,

I frequently saw non enforcement of bus lanes, people driving in them all of the time, people in wrong lanes cutting across the rest of the lanes with extremely late turnings, taxis stopping in the bus lane for protracted periods etc.

The worst culprits I have seen in the evening though is people who DO NOT GET FULLY IN A LANE. Even if you do get a free bus lane, often you are blocked by some idiot driver who drives with his left wheels in the bus lane and the other 3/4 of the car in the normal lane, blocking everyone up.

Generally cycling in the evening is the fastest option due to the decent cycle lanes pretty much everywhere. I was going to Stephens Green last night and From the Point up until Baggot Street if you go via Westland Row you're pretty much cycle lanes the whole way.

The worst culprits I have seen in the evening though is people who DO NOT GET FULLY IN A LANE. Even if you do get a free bus lane, often you are blocked by some idiot driver who drives with his left wheels in the bus lane and the other 3/4 of the car in the normal lane, blocking everyone up.

These people are a scourge across the city. I'm quite convinced that some of them do it deliberately and don't care one hoot about delaying far more people.

Yeah, the Docklands quays could do with some continual enforcement (like many other parts of the city of course) - left turns onto Beckett Bridge from NWQ, taxis cutting onto Guild Street from the Beckett Bridge left turn lane, people blocking the yellow box at CHQ/NWQ junction, the 'straight ahead' lane, taxis parking up on George's Quay and blocking things...

This is my daily cycle commute, and it annoys the **** out of *me*, I can't imagine what it's like being a part of that traffic.

You misread, I wasn't saying the Luas buses went over the bridge.

Fair enough - that lane is only used in the morning peak by DB normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,781 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

These people are a scourge across the city. I'm quite convinced that some of them do it deliberately and don't care one hoot about delaying far more people.

In Paris some of the bus lanes are physically separated from the rest of the road by a concrete kerb. Though I guess this makes it more difficult for buses to overtake each other (doesn't matter so much in Paris as they don't have stops every 100 metres).

loyatemu wrote: »
    In Paris some of the bus lanes are physically separated from the rest of the road by a concrete kerb. Though I guess this makes it more difficult for buses to overtake each other (doesn't matter so much in Paris as they don't have stops every 100 metres).

Let's not exaggerate - while there are certainly some locations where stops should be merged, the gap between most stops in Dublin is around 400m which is the industry norm. There are always going to be exceptions to that - either in areas of high demand or other locations in housing estates where buses operate along the spine road and where stops are located close to junctions to where people may already have had a walk of some distance.

You do need to allow buses to overtake given that Dublin relies on the bus services as the backbone of the public transport network unlike most other major cities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

loyatemu wrote: »

That's probably because they have train stations 548 metres apart on average.

Advertisement