Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands next city

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

road_high wrote: »
    Dont see why one location should be chosen over others and have state money lavished on it. Portlaoise is already well ahead of Athlone on population as is Kilkenny and Carlow yet somehow Athlone (which is a kip btw) is seen as some kind of holy grail. Ditto Sligo which barely registers 20k people.

Athlone is marginally smaller but is a more strategically important town than portlaoise, portlaoise is a decent town as the Midlands go but it's population is more a feature of Dublin sprawl

mvl wrote: »
    (btw, does anyone know another town in ireland with 5 motorway exits but Athlone ?)
    - trying to figure out what's in it for ppl who seem to heavily dislike athlone
    It's a crossroads. Whether you're coming from Sligo or Portumna to Dublin (ie all of the West of Ireland), you'll probably pass through Athlone.

You travel through it, you might even work in it; it's not somewhere you'd want to spend the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

It would be a good idea to designate a place to be a city and have a go at something ambitious that will set us up for the future. For that reason, I think Liverpool would be a great location.

snotboogie wrote: »
    Letterkenny needs the border to be completely eradicated and to essentially merge with Derry as one urban area with unified strategies on transport, employment and local government.

ideally i dont disagree but that is the very opposite of the way its headed and theres no service being done to the region to pretend otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Kilkenny, I'd say, they've been trying for a while now.

Ditto Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,703 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Glenamaddy. Gread Road system.
    4 roads.
    Sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I don’t think we need another city ATM. Only puts pressure on service providers to provide ‘city services’ when in reality population dictates what services are required.

Nothing under 45,000 should be considered with a catchment area double that. With a hard Brexit maybe consider Dundalk to soften the blow, same for Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Somewhere in the midlands.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Kilkenny used to be the capital of Ireland.

Just take the IT from Carlow and move it to Kilkenny.

What was the question again ?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

So its looking like:

1 Athlone
    2 Sligo
    3 Portlaoise/Tallaght

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think in terms of developing a much-needed counterbalance to Dublin, that ship sadly sailed many years ago when the Buchanan Report was ignored in favour of gombeen “scattergun” development due to parish pump politics.

However, I think that Sligo could be targeted for intensive investment to eventually turn itself into another Galway. It is disappointingly tiny for its location and catchment in the North West and has failed to grow over the past 25 years when most other Irish towns have seen a lot of development.

Athlone is very strategically located and is another potential location for intensive growth. Cork needs to increase its population by 100k and all signs of late are that Cork will see a lot of growth and development over the next decade, which is good.

However the problem remains of the highly imbalanced urban hierarchy in Ireland, where all the regional cities’ populations combined still only make up less than 40 per cent of Dublin’s population. That may be an impossible hurdle to overcome...

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

It's a crossroads. Whether you're coming from Sligo or Portumna to Dublin (ie all of the West of Ireland), you'll probably pass through Athlone.

You travel through it, you might even work in it; it's not somewhere you'd want to spend the night.

Youd be going a long way out of the way from Sligo to pass through Atlhone on your way to Dublin 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

Danzy wrote: »
    You sound like you moan a lot.

Which village with notions do you live in?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yurt! wrote: »
    In Japan, areas of 30'000 population or over can be accorded city status, in some states in the US it can be as low as 2'000 people.

These are legally defined 'proper' cities. But what the hell would Americans and Japanese know about cities anyway?
    The Japanese Village of Yomitan, Okinawa has a population of 40,517.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

Danzy wrote: »
    Athlone should have been pushed as a city for the last few decades, on location alone.

And its population of an ethnic minority is exploding.

touts wrote: »
    We don't need another city. Most of the current ones we have are towns with notions. Real cities around the world have populations greater than the whole population of this island. Looking for your local town or village to be granted city status is akin to a lad in a 3 bed semi sticking a blow up pool from lidl in his back garden and then boasting in work that how he owns a house with a swimming pool. Everyone knows the truth and is laughing at him.

I'm currently in Shanghai population 24 million. Making Athlone a city(I lived there for a year) is just hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭veryangryman

rossie1977 wrote: »
    One thing that does piss me off though is Athlone town council need to stop redesignating parts of Connacht as Westmeath..the boundary between Connacht and Leinster is the Shannon so everything west of Shannon is Connacht and County Roscommon.

Ah you Rossies with your "logic"

Athlone has now been designated a rent pressure zone. All the Athlonians who live in Monksland and work in town or the many empoyment areas on Westmeath side have been screwed by those "save Roscommon" headbangers. "Ah sure its in Roscommon". You people are the reason that Monksland residents are screwed.

I won't wait for an apology

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

One thing that does piss me off though is Athlone town council need to stop redesignating parts of Connacht as Westmeath..the boundary between Connacht and Leinster is the Shannon so everything west of Shannon is Connacht and County Roscommon.

Ah you Rossies with your "logic"

Athlone has now been designated a rent pressure zone. All the Athlonians who live in Monksland and work in town or the many empoyment areas on Westmeath side have been screwed by those "save Roscommon" headbangers. "Ah sure its in Roscommon". You people are the reason that Monksland residents are screwed.

I won't wait for an apology

Its Roscommon. Everything west of Shannon is Connacht not Leinster.

The proposal in 2016 was crazy, 40 sq km of the best and most prosperous land and more than 10% of the county population would have reverted to Leinster.

If Athlone Town Council can't include Monkland in their scheme that issue is on them. Leitrim aren't looking to grab the Roscommon half of Carrick on Shannon..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

mvl wrote: »
    Eirloop.

The Leo Loop, soon to be on the same scrapheap as the Bertie Bowl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭veryangryman

The proposal in 2016 was crazy, 40 sq km of the best and most prosperous land and more than 10% of the county population would have reverted to Leinster.

If Athlone Town Council can't include Monkland in their scheme that issue is on them. Leitrim aren't looking to grab the Roscommon half of Carrick on Shannon..

i can hear the cries of "I don't care about Athlonians forced to live in Monksland" in every word of that post.

Athlone could actually grow if given the chance. If they add the population of Monksland (most of whom drive East daily for work), it makes a better argument for city status.

But nah, keep the neolithic county boundaries. Rossies are always terrified of progress as shown in the referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

Athlone Town Council were chasing the rates income from business properties in Monksland, part of Roscommon. All the halting sites are east of the Shannon in Westmeath with no rates income.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

Yurt! wrote: »
    In Japan, areas of 30'000 population or over can be accorded city status, in some states in the US it can be as low as 2'000 people.

I don't think you understand how American cities work. Any village, town or city can hold a plebicite and decide to become a city. They do it for solid reasons though, not because of the "prestige" of being a city. It lets them elect a city government, levy taxes on employers and employees and set new laws. It lets them set up police and fire departments which they have to pay for themselves (out of the new taxes that they levy).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,720 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

But nah, keep the neolithic county boundaries. Rossies are always terrified of progress as shown in the referendum.

Neolithic? I thought the county boundaries (and in fact the whole idea of counties) were an English invention.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Enough with the Athlone nonsense....

It has to be either kilkenny, Sligo, letterkenny, coleraine, enniskillen, mullingar or

Mayo City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

The Leo Loop, soon to be on the same scrapheap as the Bertie Bowl.

Should have included the link, as I was referring to a specific project.
    Eirloop

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Neolithic? I thought the county boundaries (and in fact the whole idea of counties) were an English invention.

A number of our "counties" would predate English settlement and the Normans or Vikings. They were feudal kingdoms which controlled the land.(Thomond, Ossary, Mide, etc...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

The Japanese Village of Yomitan, Okinawa has a population of 40,517.

Celbridge is also legally a village with over 20,000 people

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

I'm currently in Shanghai population 24 million. Making Athlone a city(I lived there for a year) is just hilarious.

Did you just post that so you could tell everyone you live in Shanghai?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Wexford City. Sounds lovely

Advertisement