Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands next city

Options
  • 14-07-2019 12:06am
    Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭

Which will be irelands next city? Looks like the Government want Athlone to be a midlands city which makes sense. Drogheda has been pushing for a city status a while now. Sligo has a location which is in need of investment so a city in the north west would be great for the people. Maybe tallaght or Dún Laoghaire will get city status in the future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Tallaght has to be close the population is almost bigger than all the others mentioned and growing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Kilkenny, I'd say, they've been trying for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭policarp

Moneygall.
    The Barak O'Bama Plaza is busier than most towns
    so that must put it in the running.

Kilkenny, I'd say, they've been trying for a while now.

Is that not the marble city

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Which will be irelands next city? Looks like the Government want Athlone to be a midlands city which makes sense. Drogheda has been pushing for a city status a while now. Sligo has a location which is in need of investment so a city in the north west would be great for the people. Maybe tallaght or Dún Laoghaire will get city status in the future?

Dont see why one location should be chosen over others and have state money lavished on it. Portlaoise is already well ahead of Athlone on population as is Kilkenny and Carlow yet somehow Athlone (which is a kip btw) is seen as some kind of holy grail. Ditto Sligo which barely registers 20k people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

policarp wrote: »
    Is that not the marble city

Naw that's just policarp, it's like a city just smaller as the hooker once said about a certain van dyke....

Gatling wrote: »
    Tallaght has to be close the population is almost bigger than all the others mentioned and growing

Tallaght is just a suburb of Dublin. Which is already a city. Makes zero sense to make it a city when it’s already part of one

• Registered Users Posts: 13,284 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Athlone should have been pushed as a city for the last few decades, on location alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Sligo or Athlone are the most 'city-like' of the candidates. The counties surrounding Sligo (Leitrim / Roscommon / Donegal) would stand to benefit greatly from Sligo gaining city status and some concentrated investment and government attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

How about Birr or Tullamore?

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    Athlone should have been pushed as a city for the last few decades, on location alone.

Why? What’s so special about it and it’s location that makes it more important?

Yurt! wrote: »
    Sligo or Athlone are the most 'city-like' of the candidates. The counties surrounding Sligo (Leitrim / Roscommon / Donegal) would stand to benefit greatly from Sligo gaining city status and some concentrated investment and government attention.

It should be about providing services to people where they actually live not where you’d like them to live. There’s a long list of towns already considerably bigger than both of these that need development and services for people that actually live there already

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Danzy wrote: »

Athlone should have been pushed into the bog decades ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Ah yeah, a town that's hours away becoming a city will surely improve the lives of everyone on Donegal...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I'm kinda thinking Intel would make a nice city .

I think Sligo would be a good idea.

I live in Drogheda and from what I can see the only reason we want city status is for the extra funding (which is fair enough - the town's falling apart and the Garda service is at best a parody of a police service).

Sligo seems like a good way to split things up. But wasn't Athlone kind of already picked? in the Ireland 2040 thing? Did they not pretty much say (without actually stating it outright) that it'll be the next city.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭listermint

road_high wrote: »
    Tallaght is just a suburb of Dublin. Which is already a city. Makes zero sense to make it a city when it’s already part of one

Maybe city status might give it a bloody gardai station it deserves. One where they don't have to rent out office space on the hotel next door.

It's absolutely shocking in 2019 that a population of that size has a station that small and it's incredibly understaffed. Must be one of the worst in the country per head of population

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Sligo was the 8th largest urban area in Ireland in 1990 before the boom. The north east could do with some investment

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's essentially gone from village to town and still growing with a population of 64,000 and still growing and expanding its safe to say it won't be a suburb forever makes sense to me ,and many others I know for who would be more qualified than me to talk about it ,

It should be about providing services to people where they actually live not where you’d like them to live. There’s a long list of towns already considerably bigger than both of these that need development and services for people that actually live there already

Counties like Tipperary, Clare and North-Cork benefit greatly from having a city like Limerick (university, hospitals, employment opportunities, cultural outlets) in their region. Ditto for parts of Clare and Mayo with Galway city.

That part of the country (North-West) is by far the most 'rural' and could do with a city of scale.

Dormitory towns of Dublin like Portlaoise and Kildare (and to an extent Drogheda) already are in the gravitational pull of the capital.

• Advertisement

branie2 wrote: »
    How about Birr or Tullamore?

Too close to Athlone.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Ah yeah, a town that's hours away becoming a city will surely improve the lives of everyone on Donegal...

Depends what part of Donegal you are talking about. North-Donegal, like Inishowen and Letterkenny already look to Derry. The south of the county is quite a bit away from Derry and would look more towards Sligo.

McGaggs wrote: »

I think Bundoran is less then 30mins from Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Save any argument and just create a brand new shinny eco-city.
    Call it 'mylovelytown' or 'townycitymctownface'. Slap it somewhere in the middle of the Island where is no lights on.

0GROSdi.png

The Chinese lads could probably come in and autobot-3DP/build it within 3mths flat for the price much less than a new ChildersHospital.
    5G, hyperloop, high-rise, carbon neutral, bike lanes and all that jazz for 50 thousand folks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Datuk Vaderthir

Why? What’s so special about it and it’s location that makes it more important?

Its the geographical centre of the country. Its the type of thing Federations do, Nigeria with Abuja, Brazil with Brasilia, thats two that come to mind. Australia did the same with Canberra which lies geographically equidistant between Melbourne and Sydney. Then you have Germany which has Berlin as its nominal capital, but its political capital (also due to its Federal structure) has chopped and changed over the decades from Weimar, to Berlin, to Bonn and then back to Berlin. The Netherlands has the Hague. The list goes on.

And althoughh I'm Irish, Dublin by the grace of God, it 'might' take the 'heat' off property prices in Dublin itself if a new civil service administrative capital was made, but I'd be against it on ideological grounds knowing that the likes of Fianna Fail would have themselves and their mates in the trough like a gang of rabid dogs.

Gatling wrote: »

Well there is plans for Sydney to be split into three cities so same could happen to Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

What would be the benefits to a town being upgraded to city status ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Sligo is very close to Donegal, sure, but having lived there for over a decade I can't say it ever felt like I lived in a city, always felt like a town that is just a bit bigger than the bog standard Irish town. However, it COULD have been the next Galway but the recession decimated the town. Literally felt like half the town got boarded up in the space of 18 months (and it did have the record for highest percentage of shops lying empty on one street at the height of the recession).

Talk to anyone from town and they'll tell you what the situation is: the Chamber of Commerce are a disaster and developments are blocked all the time.

The bus that goes through town was actually reduced to only run once every hour, supposedly to lack of demand. Not sure if that was true reason, but it only made demand even less because there are scarcely 2 points in town you couldn't walk between in under 30 minutes.

Without the hospital and the college it would be a ghost town, neither the 2 shopping centres in town can keep units rented, there's always talk of one of them closing down.

It's a shame because I loved a lot about the town, went to college there and made a lot of friends there as a blow in. A lot more amenable to 'outsiders' than I've found Donegal to be, and better social life too.

Wtf ? wrote: »
    What would be the benefits to a town being upgraded to city status ?

Loads of new branded stationary, letterheads and sinage for the local government. The resultant tax-bounce from the stationary boom will fund a metro system (Sligo High-speed Area Rapid Transit - the SHART) and the Shane Filan Superdome. Winter Olympics bid for 2030; they can cover Ben Bulben in fake snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

5G, hyperloop, high-rise, carbon neutral, bike lanes and all that jazz for 50 thousand folks.
    Eirloop.

Advertisement