Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with School Principals & Appointments

Options
  • 06-07-2019 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Having read many posts here regarding problems with Principals and issues regarding appointments I thought it might be an idea to start a thread dedicated to the topic.

The one overarching problem is that, for the most part, Principals seem to be unaccountable.
    Within the majority of schools this isn't an issue because the Principals are doing a fair and professional job.

In terms of the day to day running of the school, I would estimate that 10% of schools have a Principal who is either unfair, unprofessional, incompetent or some combination of the three.

However in terms of appointments, I'd estimate that 90% of schools have appointed someone on the basis of nepotism, favoritism or other unfair reason.

BOM's are weak, generally they are unwilling to reign principals in or cause any awkwardness. Teachers are unwilling to complain to a BOM for fear that nothing significant will be done and/or the Principal will be made aware that they have made a complaint.
    Unions represent both the teachers and Principals so there is an obvious conflict of interest there. In my experience, the INTO just kept reiterating how a procedure SHOULD be carried out when I complained about how my Principal was carrying out said procedure.

Appointments are an absolute joke. It's an open secret that many (and maybe most) jobs are gone before they are ever advertised. There's plenty of stories in threads here about this. I have about 5 of my own. I have been a beneficiary & a victim of unfair appointments in the past.

The worst example I've heard of happened to a friend of mine. She was newly qualified from Pats and had applied for a fixed term position. A few days before the interview she received a call from the Principal of the school, Principal told her that it was only a maternity leave and probably wouldn't suit her. She went for the interview anyway, at the end of the interview the priest asked if she had any questions so she asked why the job had changed to a maternity leave. The Principal and the Principal's husband, who was the other Principal on the interview panel, kept there heads down, Priest replied that there was a fixed term and a maternity. My friend replied that the Principal had rang her and told her it was only maternity. Both Principals kept their heads down and the priest, visibly embarrassed reiterated that there were two jobs up for grabs. The Principal was on the top table of the local INTO branch at the time. A teacher who had trained in England & hadn't her SEG (Irish) got the fixed term job. My friend was offered the maternity leave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

To be honest, as a principal who is spending their holidays sorting through cvs, shortlisting, contacting candidates,
    arranging interviews and having BOM meetings I resent all the estimated allegations in this thread...
    After the interviews there will be references to check, paperwork for the diocese and dept and contacting all the applicants.
    Very accountable to interview panel, diocese, board, applicants and having great fun on my hols.
    Having read many posts here regarding problems with Principals and issues regarding appointments I thought it might be an idea to start a thread dedicated to the topic.

The one overarching problem is that, for the most part, Principals seem to be unaccountable.
    Within the majority of schools this isn't an issue because the Principals are doing a fair and professional job.

In terms of the day to day running of the school, I would estimate that 10% of schools have a Principal who is either unfair, unprofessional, incompetent or some combination of the three.

However in terms of appointments, I'd estimate that 90% of schools have appointed someone on the basis of nepotism, favoritism or other unfair reason.

BOM's are weak, generally they are unwilling to reign principals in or cause any awkwardness. Teachers are unwilling to complain to a BOM for fear that nothing significant will be done and/or the Principal will be made aware that they have made a complaint.
    Unions represent both the teachers and Principals so there is an obvious conflict of interest there. In my experience, the INTO just kept reiterating how a procedure SHOULD be carried out when I complained about how my Principal was carrying out said procedure.

Appointments are an absolute joke. It's an open secret that many (and maybe most) jobs are gone before they are ever advertised. There's plenty of stories in threads here about this. I have about 5 of my own. I have been a beneficiary & a victim of unfair appointments in the past.

The worst example I've heard of happened to a friend of mine. She was newly qualified from Pats and had applied for a fixed term position. A few days before the interview she received a call from the Principal of the school, Principal told her that it was only a maternity leave and probably wouldn't suit her. She went for the interview anyway, at the end of the interview the priest asked if she had any questions so she asked why the job had changed to a maternity leave. The Principal and the Principal's husband, who was the other Principal on the interview panel, kept there heads down, Priest replied that there was a fixed term and a maternity. My friend replied that the Principal had rang her and told her it was only maternity. Both Principals kept their heads down and the priest, visibly embarrassed reiterated that there were two jobs up for grabs. The Principal was on the top table of the local INTO branch at the time. A teacher who had trained in England & hadn't her SEG (Irish) got the fixed term job. My friend was offered the maternity leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

To be honest, as a principal who is spending their holidays sorting through cvs, shortlisting, contacting candidates,
    arranging interviews and having BOM meetings I resent all the estimated allegations in this thread...
    After the interviews there will be references to check, paperwork for the diocese and dept and contacting all the applicants.
    Very accountable to interview panel, diocese, board, applicants and having great fun on my hols.

That may be so, but countless teachers have had these experiences, myself included.

Have seen a situation where a job was advertised for Geography and Maths (I've changed the subjects) and a Geography and French teacher was hired. Staff puzzled as maths was a shortage subject and there were 5 French teachers on staff. Principal 'I liked the French teacher at the interview and couldn't not hire her'. What was a French teacher being shortlisted for in the first place when they didn't have maths, and how was this justified to the panel who are supposed to be hiring for maths (and geography obviously). How does the post interview discussion go? Random county councillor on panel: So we have 5 maths teachers to choose from-
    Principal: Pick the French teacher
    County councillor: Um, ok I thought you needed maths, but I'm only here for the expenses, so it's your gig.

How can a principal justify hiring someone who does not have the required subjects, when other candidates do? At the most basic, a teacher should have the required subjects for the job.

Have also seen instances of new teachers names appearing on vsware a week before interviews were held. Therefore the only conclusion is that the person was picked before the interviews were held. It can and does happen. Regularly.

Teachers who are going for re-interview and know they are being retained for the second year know going into the interview that they are being rehired, which means that the interview is going to go their way. Whether that be designing questions to suit their CV, or loading the marks on the marking scheme to favour them, that in itself is a predetermined outcome. Not for the poor eejit who is applying for the job in good faith and hoping they might be employed.

As for responding to applicants, I'm sure there's a heap of people on here (and I know loads myself) that have applied for jobs and never get so much as a PFO email back. Some don't even get the rejection after attending for interview. It's shockingly ignorant on the part of the school/ETB. A friend of mine interviewed for a job a couple of weeks ago. Presumably there were 6 or 7 candidates max for the job. Hasn't heard a word since. Clearly hasn't got the job. School couldn't be bothered to send a rejection letter or email.

You might be diligent in your hiring practices, but teachers being treated in a shoddy manner at all stages of application, hiring, outcome is widespread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭bobbyss

To be honest, as a principal who is spending their holidays sorting through cvs, shortlisting, contacting candidates, arranging interviews and having BOM meetings I resent all the estimated allegations in this thread... After the interviews there will be references to check, paperwork for the diocese and dept and contacting all the applicants. Very accountable to interview panel, diocese, board, applicants and having great fun on my hols.

I suppose that's why you get paid extra.

To do all that stuff.

If your resentment is such, you could always step down?

It's not the work I resent but the posters assumption that its corrupt!

The work ensures that we get the best teacher possible for our pupils and staff.

I'm at primary level so can't comment on the employment of subject teachers, it does sound crazy to hire a French teacher if you need maths.

However, my experience at primary is that recruitment has changed, is monitored by the dept and diocese. The vast majority of posts are now filled by the panel or supplementary panel.
    I have a long doc from diocese on procedures to follow when appointing, a list of approved names that have to be chosen from for the independent assessor for interviews and many other tasks that are followed to ensure fair recruitment of staff.
    bobbyss wrote: »
    I suppose that's why you get paid extra.

To do all that stuff.

If your resentment is such, you could always step down?

Primary is wildly different from secondary, partly due to the panel system and partly due to the fact that a primary job is not split up into hours or subjects. There is either a job there or there isn't. There are teachers on here who have had negative experiences going for primary school jobs like what was described in the OP.

You are entering bandit country when attempting to get a job in a secondary school. If you are living a rural county and you play GAA (county preferably), have a relation who is a nun or a priest or a county councillor or have some relation working for the school/ETB you have a massive advantage going into an interview.

There are subjects like Home Economics, Irish, French, Physics where there are shortages so those jobs have a greater tendency to be a level playing field, but when I see the 'best of luck in the provincial final' email go out from my ETB and 15 of the panel are named as ETB teachers I have to think that's not a coincidence that they all managed to get jobs with the one employer.

• Advertisement

It's not the work I resent but the posters assumption that its corrupt!

The work ensures that we get the best teacher possible for our pupils and staff.

Why can't corruption exist? Look back on threads here over the years where people have had those experiences. Loads of people on here (particularly in secondary) will be able to tell you of direct experience where they know of a job and know who was earmarked for it before it was ever advertised or interviewed.

I am not not saying it doesn't. I take issue with the initial posters assumption that 90% of schools have breached hiring regulations. That the majority of schools don't follow the rules. The estimated percentages and blanket assumptions are just unfair to the schools and many principals I know who are doing their best and following the procedures.
    Why can't corruption exist? Look back on threads here over the years where people have had those experiences. Loads of people on here (particularly in secondary) will be able to tell you of direct experience where they know of a job and know who was earmarked for it before it was ever advertised or interviewed.

Primary is wildly different from secondary, partly due to the panel system and partly due to the fact that a primary job is not split up into hours or subjects. There is either a job there or there isn't. There are teachers on here who have had negative experiences going for primary school jobs like what was described in the OP.

You are entering bandit country when attempting to get a job in a secondary school. If you are living a rural county and you play GAA (county preferably), have a relation who is a nun or a priest or a county councillor or have some relation working for the school/ETB you have a massive advantage going into an interview.

There are subjects like Home Economics, Irish, French, Physics where there are shortages so those jobs have a greater tendency to be a level playing field, but when I see the 'best of luck in the provincial final' email go out from my ETB and 15 of the panel are named as ETB teachers I have to think that's not a coincidence that they all managed to get jobs with the one employer.

I know of two former county players who are or have been school principals.
    I am not saying that they are not there on merit but it is something that you would make a note of and reflect on.

The poor blighters who have to travel to attend and perhaps stay overnight to make an early morning interview for a job already gone. I've been there. I've had rejection letters arrive the day before an interview. I sense there's little you can do as you would get the feeling your name would be put down in a little black book and all further applications would be binned.

Nowadays you can, I believe, request the interview notes if you were unsuccessful at interview to try and get an understanding of the panel's rationale. I don't know anyone who as done that. However if the panel wants a particular candidate and agree, I'm sure these notes are doctored as suits.

I am not saying that they are not there on merit but it is something that you would make a note of and reflect on.

The poor blighters who have to travel to attend and perhaps stay overnight to make an early morning interview for a job already gone. I've been there. I've had rejection letters arrive the day before an interview. I sense there's little you can do as you would get the feeling your name would be put down in a little black book and all further applications would be binned.

Nowadays you can, I believe, request the interview notes if you were unsuccessful at interview to try and get an understanding of the panel's rationale. I don't know anyone who as done that. However if the panel wants a particular candidate and agree, I'm sure these notes are doctored as suits.

Yep, I've had friends who've been rejected before the interview or to arrive home that evening and found the letter waiting for them since that morning.

I've had friends request their marks and it's laughable when you see the scores and then see who got the job. Scoring in the high 90s in the interview and see someone with very little experience get the job ahead of them. It's very easy to weight scores so the person with lots of experience gets a high score which on first glance appears fair but they still don't get the job.

E.g. 10 marks going for qualifications: well if you set the qualification requirement as degree and dip, everyone gets full marks, but the person with the further qualifications such as a masters, postgrad, PhD gets zero for their extras ( if the panel don't want that person). Oh the chosen candidate has done young scientist and the person with 15 years experience has done every competition going except young scientist, sorry you don't score high in that extra curricular category you didn't have what we were looking for. It's so easily tailored.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭Grueller

The commitment and ambition required to be an inter county footballer or hurler is massive. I know several of them and they bring this commitment to all walks of their lives so I wouldn't wonder at a few of them making principal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 SouthernNoir

I am not not saying it doesn't. I take issue with the initial posters assumption that 90% of schools have breached hiring regulations. That the majority of schools don't follow the rules. The estimated percentages and blanket assumptions are just unfair to the schools and many principals I know who are doing their best and following the procedures.

Strawberrie, if you disagree with my figures I'd be interested to hear what you consider to be accurate. I'm a primary teacher too by the way.

You appear to be the type of Principal who goes by the book all of the time. I wish more Principals were like you in that regard. But I have to reiterate, in my experience the numbers I posted above are a rational estimate. I'm not saying that it's every single job, but I do believe it has happened in 90% of schools at least once.

I know a teacher who took a job in Dublin after college. She has 10 years done now and wants to move home (to a border county). She can't get a permanent position due to the panel, so she's taken to applying to fixed term jobs in the hope that she can get panel rights after 2 years. She applied for twelve fixed term jobs in June and only got one interview. There couldn't be anyone with as much experience as her applying for these jobs. Plus she has a masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

This line of thinking annoys me at times...I've seen it mentioned countless times on this forum and Facebook in that if a person doesn't get the job it's because the lad/lassie who got it plays football. We work in schools where over the last 10 years or so the amount of people who will take teams is decreasing more and more. I'm sure most of us know that a fair percentage of pupils who come to certain schools only do so for sports so having a teacher who is willing (and capable) of taking teams is invaluable. So if I were a principal that would have to be one of the criteria I would use as well as qualifications etc. The same would apply I'm sure for teachers who were willing to do drama/ computer clubs etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Over the years I worked, in Dublin, with 8 county players from my principal's home county. Not a single one ever took a team as they were too busy driving up and down for training. And several of them were given the job over teachers who had already been there for several years on part time hours taking any number of teams and clubs, in the days before the Ward circular offered some protection to existing part time teachers.

Three were from the one in-demand shortage subject which seems to have very few teachers from Dublin in its ranks. Each stayed 2 years until they got a permanent job at home after building up a bit of experience. The first one was given the job over a local fella who had subbed for a couple of years for us before training and had got on great. The school then had to drop the subject after the succession of county players dried up, meanwhile the local teacher got a permanent job in Meath. Taking on county players seemed to be a strategy for that principal but it certainly didn't serve the students well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭amacca

The dept should be made pay for all the hours put in on extra curricular imo

That might put this "productivity" horse**** in context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

My dealings with job interviews with majority of principals and BOMs has been that they are so corrupt especially in rural Ireland. Left a permanent position over 5 years ago to relocate home and still job searching.My subjects are so called "in demand" subjects - gaeilge and MFL.I have over 16 years experience, done lots of extra curricular and co curricular activities to promote my subjects , got on well with staff, put myself forward on committees to help promote the school, do after school/weekends CPD, have examined for SEC and last year five of my LC hons class students got H1s - still not good enough!! Two instances I know for sure where I didn't get back to two schools due to nepotism. An independent interview board needs to be set up but don't know how fair they can be in such a small country like Ireland. Have a contract for next - not my own hours for next year in a school over a two hour round trip commute but principal and staff are wonderful and more fair from my experience subbing there before.

Snapgal wrote:
    An independent interview board needs to be set up but don't know how fair they can be in such a small country like Ireland.

I've enjoyed watching the PAC at work. They enquire about the running of public bodies especially their finances. Recently the EPA was up before it and they were impressive in dealing with the committee's exacting questions. Most of the bodies that I have watched are thorough in their responses although I do recall some senior Gardai struggle when they were up. It's an interesting exercise in public accountability.

According to its own website the PAC reported a 'failure of governance' on the part of the KWETB regarding its financial auditing. Quite damming. Don't know if there were any resignations.

What would they make of ETBs interview processes if they could get their teeth into them!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

The same sh1t is seen in certain ETBs but unfortunately the establishment are not for examining them.There are a few people (on full gold plated pensions) hoovering up expenses at an alarming rate and going through with the charade of spending days and sometimes weeks interviewing and collecting expenses to the detriment of candidates who do not know the system.As I've said many times before if thes 'UNTOUCHABLES' want to give something back to an education system that gave them so much ,let them do it for free.Have they ever thought of their consequences,how many teachers have had suicidal thoughts after spending an amount of money and time filling in application forms that will not get anywhere.Just think about it for 1 minute! Unfortunately the 'I'll scratch your back if you lick my hole ' brigade know they are safe .No one wants to fight for teachers rights,the media is totally anti-teacher and the fat cat b*stards know this.Paschal,please hold an enquiry into the waste of money in the ETB system and you will realise quite huge savings which can be put to better use than lining some fatcat's shroud.Why not use the 'saved money' to make psychology etc test available for students who are on a never ending waiting list for services badly needed and unfortunately will never happen before they leave the system.Action needed now!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Teacher0101

Well put. panel of old ETB principals grabbing all expenses possible. Corrupt as ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Snapgal wrote: »
    My dealings with job interviews with majority of principals and BOMs has been that they are so corrupt especially in rural Ireland. Left a permanent position over 5 years ago to relocate home and still job searching.My subjects are so called "in demand" subjects - gaeilge and MFL.I have over 16 years experience, done lots of extra curricular and co curricular activities to promote my subjects , got on well with staff, put myself forward on committees to help promote the school, do after school/weekends CPD, have examined for SEC and last year five of my LC hons class students got H1s - still not good enough!! Two instances I know for sure where I didn't get back to two schools due to nepotism. An independent interview board needs to be set up but don't know how fair they can be in such a small country like Ireland. Have a contract for next - not my own hours for next year in a school over a two hour round trip commute but principal and staff are wonderful and more fair from my experience subbing there before.

Not to put the cat among the pigeons but did anybody read the interesting comment someone wrote on VFT the other day? That principals and ETBs etc have been ‘advised’ to hire NQT’s over experienced teachers. The poster said it was an unwritten rule called “Newman”? I don’t know what that’s about but by god if it’s true ..

I’m currently dealing with yet another rejection after interview and I have 13 years experience. My story is much like you Snapgal .. volunteered, big part of school life, tried my best and I’m a great teacher. I’m not settling with the worthless feedback they normally give this time. Without completely blackening my name and chances for future employment (it’s so tempting though to say eff this and blow the lid on all this ****) I’m trying my best to get some answers. I know it’s unlikely I’ll get any but at the very least I might make a couple of people feel red faced or uncomfortable. I’m spitting feathers and someone is going to have to answer my questions this time.

Rodar08 wrote: »
    Not to put the cat among the pigeons but did anybody read the interesting comment someone wrote on VFT the other day? That principals and ETBs etc have been ‘advised’ to hire NQT’s over experienced teachers. The poster said it was an unwritten rule called “Newman”? I don’t know what that’s about but by god if it’s true ..

The question is, who is doing the advising?

• Advertisement

The question is, who is doing the advising?

Yeah Rainbowtrout, who indeed but it seemed to be legit enough? The poster said a principal told her himself. Ugh, I dunno. Just read that other thread now about etb application form this year. The corruption is astounding. It makes me want to throw in the towel. I’ll
    Go back to subbing this year and luckily my principal will give me work. I actually have a PRPT this year until 31/08 which just makes me more ill at the thought of facing my colleagues having not even made the panel. An NQT got one of the posts. All of this is humiliating and demoralising.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Teacher0101

VECs want to save money on everything. I work in a VEC school, and ancillary staff, bus companies, books etc have all been cut to save money. VECs probably want to look great to the Minister of Ed, and to get patronage of new schools by showing they can save money. More experienced teacher = higher up the pay scale. It's not going to be written down anywhere, but of course it goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭CraftySue

Rodar08 wrote: »

Rainbowtrout, I was looking to find this post on VFT, but couldn't find it, just wondering might you have a link to it?

CraftySue wrote: »
    Rainbowtrout, I was looking to find this post on VFT, but couldn't find it, just wondering might you have a link to it?

I don't I'm afraid. I stopped following VFT over a year ago because I couldn't cope with the amount of idiots on it too lazy to do their own work.

CraftySue wrote: »

It’s a post about Garda vetting. Search that and it was posted on Thursday 10am. It’s a comment under that post

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm not sure VFT is the healthiest of places to hang out. Lots of wild rumours fly about there.
    Do people seriously believe there is a named 'Newman' rule that Principals have been told to employ NQTs over experienced people, leaving themselves open to all sorts of legal action?
    And all the ETB Principals in the country are in on this?

spurious wrote: »
    I'm not sure VFT is the healthiest of places to hang out. Lots of wild rumours fly about there.
    Do people seriously believe there is a named 'Newman' rule that Principals have been told to employ NQTs over experienced people, leaving themselves open to all sorts of legal action?

But what legal action can teachers take? Very hard to prove you have been screwed out of a job you should have got. Marking schemes for interviews can be tailored to suit any candidate. And most teachers will not take it further for fear they will be blacklisted and not be able to get a job anywhere in that region. Lots of the same people sitting on these boards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Age discrimination?
    If people genuinely believe there is this conspiracy, get the unions on to it.
    Unless of course they are in on it too.

How about an investigative TV programme? Surely parents would have a vested interest in their children having the best teachers work with them?

I am not saying there are not shady practices by some interview boards (and by no means exclusively ETBs) but the notion of a countrywide secret policy is really daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Whatever about the level of dodgy practices I'm afraid using VFT as a source doesn't help anyone's case.

It's quite astonishing the number of absolute idiots on it who blithely post advice which is completely wrong. Many of them have been corrected many times but return the next day to offer further BS.

I despair that some of these people are standing in front of classrooms.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »

When you’re in my situation long enough and have experienced the absolute humiliation, demoralisation, degradation I have year after year as recent as last week then yes, you’ll begin to believe things like this are happening because employment law does not seem to exist when hiring teachers. It’s abhorrent how some are being treated. Blatant discrimination and all sorts is happening so why not the Newman rule? and they just get away with it because god forbid the unemployed teacher speak out... Good guck in ever hoping to teach a day in their life again to the unemployed teacher who does!

Advertisement