Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women-only Train Carriages

• 03-07-2019 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

A woman I know this week had some creep on the Tube videoing her feet and legs and being a generally sleazy c*nt. He was caught out by another woman and a row erupted needless to say. Nearly every woman I’ve asked in London has had some sort of harassment on public transport; groping, staring, fellas w*nking, being followed, been commented at etc. It’s clear it’s a fairly substantial problem.

I’m just back from Mexico City and it was such an issue there they brought in women-only carriages and everyone I asked about it thought they were great and a welcome respite. Is there a need or scope for it in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Yes please. In a lot of cases the women are worse than the men!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

FTA69 wrote: »
    Is there a need or scope for it in Ireland?

No, not in Ireland, next.

Although I would be happy if patrons who insisted on talking loudly on mobile phones and eating loudly would have their own carriage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Commuter trains are standing room only at peak times, what happens if the women's carriage is the only one with space left over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

No, not in Ireland, next.

Although I would be happy if patrons who insisted on talking loudly on mobile phones and eating loudly would have their own carriage.

Or were thrown off the train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I'm all for this. I won't have to watch them pouting at their phones and taking selfies for thing in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

no. the vast majority of men in ireland are decent.
    the ones that arent should be dealt a swift kick in the nuts when they act out.

parents, raise your boys to be decent and women, dont take $hit from anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

D3V!L wrote: »
    I'm all for this. I won't have to watch them pouting at their phones and taking selfies for thing in the morning.

Dont forget putting on the makeup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Women don't need to be segregated from men. They do that kind of nonsense in Saudi Arabia. We just need to create a social norm where it becomes a giant race to call out creepy unacceptable shit from both sexes. Not only the creepy stuff, but any kind of anti-social behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

parents, raise your boys and girls to be decent, and women and me; don’t take $hit from anyone.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

More security on the train, I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Sheeps wrote: »
    Women don't need to be segregated from men. They do that kind of nonsense in Saudi Arabia. We just need to create a social norm where it becomes a giant race to call out creepy unacceptable shit from both sexes. Not only the creepy stuff, but any kind of anti-social behaviour.

And what happens when you get smashed in the face for it? Who do you think is going to help? The Guards? Good luck if they arrive half a day later at best. And if by some miracle they catch the trash - they'll get a slap on the wrists, a talking to, and back out on the streets in no time out of their mind on drugs.

People don't want a police state like in America, but are unwilling to admit just how chaotic and lawless cities like Dublin have become.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

I’d rather a sober only carriage with guaranteed seat, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It's a problem and I'd be very surprised if it didn't happen in Ireland but the solution isn't to give women their own carriage where they can't be ogled or harassed, the solution is to tackle the harassment. Teach men that it *is* harassment and like someone else suggested, teach people that's OK to call this behaviour out.

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    I’d rather a sober only carriage with guaranteed seat, thanks

Iarnróid Éireann need to stamp out the wasters riding the rails on a dubious free pass. Wednesday morning commute, and there's a lurch in your ear smelling of cheap lager. Time for tough measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

How about a jackeen only carriage? Rather than having them ruin the journey for the rest of us, we could have them put in a special carriage at the front of the train. One where they can hoover back cans and share their legendary ‘wit’ with each other while the rest of us can enjoy our journey in comfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭Allinall

Who’s going to carry out all the crocodile dundee tests?

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Teach men that it *is* harassment and like someone else suggested, teach people that's OK to call this behaviour out.

Teach them they might get a kick in the head too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Teach them they might get a kick in the head too.

Who is going to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Childfree carriages should come first:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Although I would be happy if patrons who insisted on talking loudly on mobile phones .

All those people that take calls on speaker while going around holding their phone in their hand near their mouth should be shot in the face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Yeah, we should deffo bring back segregation.

****ing moronic idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

How about a jackeen only carriage?

Caste down :o not fit to clean the muck off your wellies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No. Because Ireland is neither London nor Mexico City.

An effective police force and a judiciary in touch with a world outside of their own little bubble would be nice though.

Latino culture in Mexico and elsewhere is far more macho than Ireland, more leering, whistling and catcalls than you'd ever get here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Bambi wrote: »
    Yeah, we should deffo bring back segregation.

****ing moronic idea.

We already have sex-segregated spaces where there’s a clear need for them. In a city like Mexico or Tokyo where harassment is rife then it’s not a bad plan to have one at all. In the absence of them There’s an argument to be made for more security on the trains and stations.

i thought when women only ones were full the women in normal ones were considered more asking for it otherwise they'd be in a women only one

that doesn't sound like the way to go
    we should focus on the perpetrators not the women

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

erica74 wrote: »
    Childfree carriages should come first:cool:

Or more accurately the annoying little sh1t carriage.

Ah its so delightful being a captive audience with a hyperactive little monster off his head on fanta and skittles for 3 hours while mammy is blissfully unaware or just doesn't give a toss. Not really blaming the kid. Its the goofy parents lack of control of said child and by extension complete inability to provide discipline.

Whinge over. Go in peace to love and serve the lord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

and in this carriage, are the women wrapped in cotton wool or bubble wrap?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

parents, raise your boys to be decent and women, dont take $hit from anyone.

Just to add. Women, the world wasn't just made for you, climb down off that high horse and partake of common decent courtesy from time to time. Failing that, a kick in the fanny be swiftly dealt.

bluewolf wrote: »
    i thought when women only ones were full the women in normal ones were considered more asking for it otherwise they'd be in a women only one

'She wasn't in the women's carriage' could be the new 'she was dressed rather provocatively'.

It might be better to have a sex offenders section on the train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

FTA69 wrote: »
    We already have sex-segregated spaces where there’s a clear need for them. In a city like Mexico or Tokyo where harassment is rife then it’s not a bad plan to have one at all. In the absence of them There’s an argument to be made for more security on the trains and stations.

...and universal toilets.

do they not have boards in London or Mexico

ask them

do they not have boards in London or Mexico

ask them

El Bordo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

It's a good idea to have women only carriages as some toxic men have a problem with women having rights, those same men have sexual tendencies they cannot control., women should not live in fear from such sexual beasts who cannot keep it in their pants. And before the male mob trounce on this comment, some men are gents but there is a serious problem within the male species in sexual harassment of women hence the separation of the sexes is needed to protect women from predatory horny men.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In other countries they have special carriages with shielding to block mobile phones, no wifi, not 3/4/5G , no interweb ... bliss

As a man, who identifies as a woman at convenient times, I think it's a great idea.

• Advertisement

klaaaz wrote: »
    It's a good idea to have women only carriages as some toxic men have a problem with women having rights, those same men have sexual tendencies they cannot control., women should not live in fear from such sexual beasts who cannot keep it in their pants. And before the male mob trounce on this comment, some men are gents but there is a serious problem within the male species in sexual harassment of women hence the separation of the sexes is needed to protect women from predatory horny men.

fear isnt a measurable nor rational attribute

legislation for women-only carriages would soon prove very """"'"'problematic""""''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,504 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ridiculous idea for Ireland.

let alone.the question of men who live in fear of "beast men"

wheres our carriage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Yes please. In a lot of cases the women are worse than the men!

Yeah you can't read the news without being inundated with stories of women **** , groping, harrassing and filming unsuspecting passengers.

Nope. Seems to be mainly a man thing.(and because it needs to be clearly stated around here - not all men. But it is clearly a problem)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

This is just giving feminists another platform.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Nah, no need for it in Ireland. It is not a culture with a sh1t attitude towards women.
    Just to add. Women, the world wasn't just made for you, climb down off that high horse and partake of common decent courtesy from time to time.
    Thanks for that. I'd never have known. Because all us women are exactly the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Considered derailing the thread but then multiple casualties.

haha.
    onto a TRAIN

i like it

fear isnt a measurable nor rational attribute

legislation for women-only carriages would soon prove very """"'"'problematic""""''

There is a genuine fear amongst women at males up to no good, men need to control themselves with their misogynistic and chauvinistic control of women, keep control of their urges within their pants!

Tonight, there are women hailing taxis and buses afraid to walk home in the dark because some men will attack them firstly because they are women and secondly to sexually assault them.

Which is why separate carriages are a godsend for women, keep the prevalence of attack to a minimum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

There is a genuine fear amongst women at males up to no good, men need to control themselves with their misogynistic and chauvinistic control of women, keep control of their urges within their pants!

Tonight, there are women hailing taxis and buses afraid to walk home in the dark because some men will attack them firstly because they are women and secondly to sexually assault them.

Which is why separate carriages are a godsend for women, keep the prevalence of attack to a minimum!
    Ah I find this kinda thing uncalled for - and I'm a woman. It's so divisive and demonising. It hardly helps relations between the sexes.

What you describe does exist unfortunately, however the way you describe it makes it seem like it's all over the place. It's extremely rare in Ireland. It's much more common in some African and Central Asian countries though.

I see what you did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I completely agree that there are women who live in fear and rightfully so and I don't buy the nonsense that some posters here are spouting that this problem doesn't exist in Ireland because Irish men are grand - complete bullsh*t. But women only carriages doesn't address the problem, it just creates a diversion around the problem. It also sets a dangerous precedent in that next buses will be segregated by gender, then workplaces and again I completely understand why this would be appealing to women. I'm not coming at this from a "not all men" angle. The behaviour that leads to this fear needs to be addressed and moving the victims of it isn't the best way to do that.

As someone who believes in aspiring for true equality of the sexes and has been a feminist before the advent of the "me too" era, is it ok if I as a woman "trounce" the comment.

A lot of men (and women) are horny and can glance at attractive people if they want, it's a bit of fun particularly when you are young and single. That's how the majority of us in the 90s and 00s were chatted up or how relationships started, through conversation and body language, not by interacting on social media.

I fear that this new wave of virtue signalling and PC nonsense is going to lead to men and women afraid to look at each other almost like the dystopian world of the Handmaid's Tale or worse like Saudi Arabia. The same "feminists" are possibly insisting on unisex toilets.

When my friends and I were single and if some bloke was acting pervy or pushy we would tell him where to go in no uncertain terms. I feel like the younger generation will not be able to cope with any type of confrontation. Men and women are inherently different and we should celebrate the differences, by all means unacceptable behaviour should not be tolerated but basic human interaction should be allowed to continue.

Ah I find this kinda thing uncalled for - and I'm a woman. It's so divisive and demonising. It hardly helps relations between the sexes.

What you describe does exist unfortunately, however the way you describe it makes it seem like it's all over the place. It's extremely rare in Ireland. It's much more common in some African and Central Asian countries though.

Really? Women won't walk home in the dark for fear of men attacking them.

When the winter hours hit at when we're dark at 4pm, women won't walk or jog on their own due to the fear of men attacking them. (and it's not an unfounded fear)

Every year, watch the streets empty into a ghostland especially when it's dark. Those predator men created that situation and the good men(I agree they exist) have failed to counter the predators to make the streets safe for women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

They have this in Dubai and it works well. The women don't need to use it of course but it's an option and guarantees them a seat and more space.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
Advertisement