Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impromptu Ask Me Anything: Homelessness

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

Are you aware that, if you're registered as homeless, if you rent a room/property through Homeless HAP, the council will pay 1.5 times the usual rate and also the deposit and two months rent upfront. You don't even have to rent within the area you're registered for, you can live anywhere in the country. I'd be looking at that option rather than living in a hostel long-term, I know from my own experience that those temporary accommodations can really mess with your head. It's no way to live.

Good luck finding anyone to accept HAP. I've been refused it in the past, many, many times even though it's illegal to do so. Have a lad doing it on an .mp3 even, he flat out offered me the place then recinded the offer. He refused me inside of his property, so it wasn't even admissable. Should've asked him out in the garden :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Daz527 wrote: »
    If you buy a bike for 100 quid your transport needs are nil for good. How can’t you afford to do this. Surely you could save 20 a week for 5 weeks? I don’t earn much more than that and while a struggle is well manageable

That is the part i dont understand either.. Instead of being like 'sure where will 20 euro get me that will take ages'

Surely op can afford to save a small amount each week to save for a rented room deposit or like you say, a bike. I dont know how the entire 250 is gone each week and how they can fathom spending every cent of it on food buses and i dunno what college they are in if it requires materials to be bought every single week..

Surely op could very easily get by with 150 or 200 each week for their hostel and food? Then put the rest towards a bicycle at least or rented room deposit? Moving a step forward at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Daz527 wrote: »
    If you buy a bike for 100 quid your transport needs are nil for good. How can’t you afford to do this. Surely you could save 20 a week for 5 weeks? I don’t earn much more than that and while a struggle is well manageable

That is the part i dont understand either.. Instead of being like 'sure where will 20 euro get me that will take ages'

Surely op can afford to save a small amount each week to save for a rented room deposit or like you say, a bike. I dont know how the entire 250 is gone each week and how they can fathom spending every cent of it on food buses and i dunno what college they are in if it requires materials to be bought every single week..

Surely op could very easily get by with 150 or 200 each week for their hostel and food? Then put the rest towards a bicycle at least or rented room deposit? Moving a step forward at least?

How much does the OP pay for a hostel dartboardio?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Not unfair at all. Kippy kept asking questions until he got a response he felt he could portray as being the OPs decision. He wasn't talking about the OP not going to his college. He kept asking about the OPs family and friends who cannot be expected to fill the gap long term especially given his family circumstances.

It's also ridiculous to concentrate on the OP not going to his University for assistance when he has engaged with other bodies. He has gone to the government for assistance. Not asking his University for assistance doesn't then place him in a category of "oh well he hasn't tried hard enough".

Yes the OP can ask his University for help. They may be able to help a small bit but the body that can help most are official government services. And the OP has engaged with them.
    Look,
    My own take on the OP's situation is exactly that - a take on their situation, not on every homeless persons situation.

Personally, I have built up a good network of friends and colleagues over the years and am lucky enough to have supportive parents and a wider family in general.
    There is absolutely no way I would see any of these people without a roof over their head if they were to come to me looking for some assistance or I had heard of their plight. And I believe I would be in the same boat with them.
    So I am big on connections and support network in general. I think it's a critical aspect to life in general.
    If I see others that may not have the same support I have to ask why.
    And again, in the OP's specific circumstances it looks like there are and have been obvious personal decisions made that have led to this situation.

There are a lot of people in here to take my stance as overly harsh and unfair to the OP - but again, this is an unverified AMA (Aske me ANYTHING) - I've just attempted to tease out what decisions have been made to get to this point and what set of decisions can be made for the OP to get out of the situation they are in (if they so wish).

Kylo Ren wrote: »
    I don't frequent many Boards AMA's but Christ, some of these replies to this guy are staggering.

Any time I go to Dublin I am reminded how lucky I have it with the number of people out on the streets in all weather conditions. Fair play to you for sticking with your studies under all of this -- the vast majority (myself included) probably wouldn't be able for it. Best of luck to you, OP.

This isn't a verified boards AMA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

I'm sleeping on a floor in College tonight for the second night in a row. I'm pretty homeless if you ask me.

Perhaps you can try sharing a room/dorm bed?

Now you are living with homeless, see yourself as homeless and , worse, the social workers are treating you like a homeless person.

If you have your own bed, you have your own kitchen. You have your own library. You gave a place to smoke, eat, sleep, chat, study, and shower.

You will not be homeless in your head.

College cones out, so tough it out if you gave to, but food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭moonage

OP, how much per week do you spend on

a) Food

b) Transportation

c) Accommodation at a homeless hostel (or is it free?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

It's completely understandable how this can happen. I have no solution to offer, except if you can, do maintain your studies and your 25 hours a week job, just to have that bit of leeway.

My thought - a bit weird I know - is that maybe you could afford one night a week or fortnight where you stay in an Airbnb cheap room, just so you can have a bit of a break from the stress, and cook for yourself and have a long bath and a bit of space and comfort. Just for the rest even. And to keep spirits up.

You can specify price range on the site, for a particular date, say choose up to 40 euros.

Then see if there is anything where you can get to for a bit of a break from the mayhem. And talk to the hosts, maybe they know of somewhere, maybe they would do a deal?

Here are 3 examples for May 1st in Dublin city area, all in or around 30 euros.

https://www.airbnb.ie/rooms/24278424?adults=1&toddlers=0&check_in=2019-05-01&check_out=2019-05-02&guests=1&s=Yyy-mVIo

https://www.airbnb.ie/rooms/27055788?adults=1&toddlers=0&check_in=2019-05-01&check_out=2019-05-02&guests=1&s=EtkIuxBk

https://www.airbnb.ie/rooms/24303095?adults=1&toddlers=0&check_in=2019-05-01&check_out=2019-05-02&guests=1&s=EtkIuxBk

ogsjw wrote: »
    A lot of people, a lot of Irish people, are extremely narrow minded and I see lots of utterly disgusting hot-takes surrounding homeless people. I work remotely and so I have to stay in hostels; I have been refused rental hundreds of times for being a freelancer. I meet far too many regular joes in these hostels who fell victim to asshole landlords, for a number of reasons. During off-season more than 50% of guests can be working individuals. Many have simply given up looking. I myself gave up many months ago, I couldn't face it anymore. Saves me bus money heading out to these places, saves me the knot in my stomach lining up for an hour prior knowing I'm going to be refused. Things are very serious in Dublin and in many cities around the world now. If you look at any listings on rental Facebook groups, most are single rooms that have had four bunks into them; so that wouldn't even be a lateral move for me; these places are not built for several people, in regard to ameneties. I've seen a lot of people in genuine situations end up homeless on YouTube, a great platform for those who want to really open their eyes to how this issue is changing in an alarming way these days. I recommend the channel 'Invisible People' as a good start.

It saves me the stress of futily looking, but it is still very stressful and not a lifestyle anyone would want. They can be dangerous, and you will be around unsavoury characters. They're noisy places, and this has taken a toll on my anxiety etc.

Best of luck OP. You're fighting for your education, fair play, don't let any sneering, condescending or begrudging people tell you otherwise.

Any stories about dishonest renters leading to homelessness? Almost happened to me, but I was able to play the foreigner card :) ( Irish in foreign country)

kippy wrote: »
    Not unfair at all. Kippy kept asking questions until he got a response he felt he could portray as being the OPs decision. He wasn't talking about the OP not going to his college. He kept asking about the OPs family and friends who cannot be expected to fill the gap long term especially given his family circumstances.

It's also ridiculous to concentrate on the OP not going to his University for assistance when he has engaged with other bodies. He has gone to the government for assistance. Not asking his University for assistance doesn't then place him in a category of "oh well he hasn't tried hard enough".

Yes the OP can ask his University for help. They may be able to help a small bit but the body that can help most are official government services. And the OP has engaged with them.
    Look,
    My own take on the OP's situation is exactly that - a take on their situation, not on every homeless persons situation.

Personally, I have built up a good network of friends and colleagues over the years and am lucky enough to have supportive parents and a wider family in general.
    There is absolutely no way I would see any of these people without a roof over their head if they were to come to me looking for some assistance or I had heard of their plight. And I believe I would be in the same boat with them.
    So I am big on connections and support network in general. I think it's a critical aspect to life in general.
    If I see others that may not have the same support I have to ask why.
    And again, in the OP's specific circumstances it looks like there are and have been obvious personal decisions made that have led to this situation.

There are a lot of people in here to take my stance as overly harsh and unfair to the OP - but again, this is an unverified AMA (Aske me ANYTHING) - I've just attempted to tease out what decisions have been made to get to this point and what set of decisions can be made for the OP to get out of the situation they are in (if they so wish).

Have you ever had a look at the personal issues forum? Where tons of people have had to cut contact with their narcissistic abusive families so they don't lose their mind?

Where one of the most common threads are about loneliness and difficulty making new friends?

Not everyone has a big network like you and it's not because of "decisions" they have made.

Unfortunately people who are very sociable often lack the basic ability to put themselves in others shoes and see that not everyone has the big networks that they do.

You had basically decided that any homeless person is there because of "decisions" they have made and just kept asking be OP questions until you got something you could portray as a "decision". You had your mind made up in advance.

I mean the OP could break into an unoccupied flat and occupy it. Has he made a "decision" in not doing that? Would it be reasonable to chastise him for "deciding" not to this ridiculous thing?

• Advertisement

Any stories about dishonest renters leading to homelessness? Almost happened to me, but I was able to play the foreigner card :) ( Irish in foreign country)

... I just realized I've not had many decent living situations. Some, but not many. I've rented a 'studio' in a Georgian in Dublin 6 that was infested with rats (as soon as I'd turn the lights off the cracking of the wood would start, and one was waiting for me under my bed when I got home one day, nice thing to come back to after a hard day). Landlord couldn't give a flying one, wouldn't call exterminators, knew it was as an issue before I took the place. Place was in bits, one of the stairs was held in place with a bookshelf hinge; rats must really like chewing wood. Oven didn't work either. Crammed a turkey, ham and trimmings into a slow cooker for my Christmas dinner :P

In another place I've had a knife held to my throat by an Eastern European housemate when I asked him to not turn the house into a rave, landlord couldn't give a damn about that, but was very angry I called the police (???).

I've lived abroad myself, and have had windows leak all winter; resorted to a paper cup taped to my window. Building managers wouldn't do a damn thing. We kept complaining about freezing water in the winter, they wouldn't give us hot water and wouldn't you know it, I come back from work one day and they're replacing pipes on the outside of the buildings because the bloody pipes froze because they were so desperate to prevent us from having hot showers in the morning.

Just in case anyone has any questions about why I gave up looking so easily ;P 'Getting indoors' isn't the end of people's woes in a lot of people's cases.

Even typing that out was upsetting. ****. Why can't some people just let other decent people just live in some semblance of happiness?

i dont think the thread needs to be an in depth investigation into whether or not the OP should or shouldn't have better options out of their personal networks at this stage.

they say they dont.

the reader can draw conclusions out of that if they want.

Have you ever had a look at the personal issues forum? Where tons of people have had to cut contact with their narcissistic abusive families so they don't lose their mind?

Where one of the most common threads are about loneliness and difficulty making new friends?

Not everyone has a big network like you and it's not because of "decisions" they have made.

Unfortunately people who are very sociable often lack the basic ability to put themselves in others shoes and see that not everyone has the big networks that they do.

You had basically decided that any homeless person is there because of "decisions" they have made and just kept asking be OP questions until you got something you could portray as a "decision". You had your mind made up in advance.

I mean the OP could break into an unoccupied flat and occupy it. Has he made a "decision" in not doing that? Would it be reasonable to chastise him for "deciding" not to this ridiculous thing?

Lets keep the red herrings in the sea, shall we?

I can't put myself in other peoples shoes can I because I lack that basic ability? Grand so.

Lets keep the red herrings in the sea, shall we?

I can't put myself in other peoples shoes can I because I lack that basic ability? Grand so.

What red herrings? You have said the OP is homeless because of personal decisions that have led to them not having a support network.

You've used an example of your own large support network to back this up.

Yes that does suggest an inability to put yourself in other people shoes when family difficulties and small friend networks are a common issue for so many people.

What red herrings? You have said the OP is homeless because of personal decisions that have led to them not having a support network.

You've used an example of your own large support network to back this up.

Yes that does suggest an inability to put yourself in other people shoes when family difficulties and small friend networks are a common issue for so many people.
    I tend not to put myself in another persons shoes, without having at least met the person and being aware of all of the facts.
    I've not said that is why they are homeless.
    I've said there are a multitude of decisions that they have made that have led to this point (based on the information we have been presented with).

The OP has put attending college above having a stable roof over their heads. That is a decision they have made when there are other options that may would have led them to having a roof over their head elsewhere, outside of Dublin and perhaps with a job also until they could get back on their feet.

... I just realized I've not had many decent living situations. Some, but not many. I've rented a 'studio' in a Georgian in Dublin 6 that was infested with rats (as soon as I'd turn the lights off the cracking of the wood would start, and one was waiting for me under my bed when I got home one day, nice thing to come back to after a hard day). Landlord couldn't give a flying one, wouldn't call exterminators, knew it was as an issue before I took the place. Place was in bits, one of the stairs was held in place with a bookshelf hinge; rats must really like chewing wood. Oven didn't work either. Crammed a turkey, ham and trimmings into a slow cooker for my Christmas dinner :P

In another place I've had a knife held to my throat by an Eastern European housemate when I asked him to not turn the house into a rave, landlord couldn't give a damn about that, but was very angry I called the police (???).

I've lived abroad myself, and have had windows leak all winter; resorted to a paper cup taped to my window. Building managers wouldn't do a damn thing. We kept complaining about freezing water in the winter, they wouldn't give us hot water and wouldn't you know it, I come back from work one day and they're replacing pipes on the outside of the buildings because the bloody pipes froze because they were so desperate to prevent us from having hot showers in the morning.

Just in case anyone has any questions about why I gave up looking so easily ;P 'Getting indoors' isn't the end of people's woes in a lot of people's cases.

Even typing that out was upsetting. ****. Why can't some people just let other decent people just live in some semblance of happiness?[/QUOT

IMO, its a warzone here. I lived in other countries and if you call the cops, they'll handle a landlord pretty sharpish.

I guess life's a battle until you get a mortgage.

I guess life's a battle until you get a mortgage.

Then the fun 'dodge the recession' game starts :P

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

timthumbni wrote: »
    Aye, there is certainly a lot of billy big balls around here. Bad situations can happen to anyone at any time.

I don't see you offering your spare room/couch/money for a decent night's sleep, or any bit of advice to help the situation.
    So get down off the high horse.
    The questions haven't been that bad, the op is free not to answer.

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    The questions haven't been that bad, the op is free not to answer.

Some questions may have been genuine and geared towards a way to practice help or understand, but there are a number of users here just looking to poke holes in his story, and they should get a hobby.

And no. It is not acceptable to be kicking someone while they're already down. What an insidious idea. Homelessness has a considerable effect on people's mental health; sociopathic netizens making it worse by piling on with no interest in helping or understanding is just gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ashes2014

I'm sorry for your situation OP-I can't imagine the fear and stress being homeless must cause you.

I used to believe that homeless people were unlucky who maybe had no family/addiction issues etc. I think the thousands of people now homeless is due to something else (lack of our Dail putting citizens first is one possible reason).

I would like to ask: When is your course finished? and Is there a chance of you getting a good job-ie 40 hours at a decent rate so that you could afford to rent?

The only suggestion I would have for you right now is, if you were to see a vacant position in an eatery/restaurant I would be inclined to to apply for that as some of these places often include free/reduced food when employed there. You mentioned your current job was not very stable and most of your money goes on food. Not to be adding more work for you to do, but its just a thought.

• Advertisement

Some questions may have been genuine and geared towards a way to practice help or understand, but there are a number of users here just looking to poke holes in his story, and they should get a hobby.

And no. It is not acceptable to be kicking someone while they're already down. What an insidious idea. Homelessness has a considerable effect on people's mental health; sociopathic netizens making it worse by piling on with no interest in helping or understanding is just gross.

What are you going to do to help other than moan about the questions being asked???
    I didn't see anyone try to kick the op. And I'm sure they'd be banned if they did.

What are you going to do to help other than moan about the questions being asked???

Sure I'm fecked too. What are you doing? You seem to be very into pointing fingers. What are you doing?
    And I'm sure they'd be banned if they did.

A point worth exploring, I agree...

Sure I'm fecked too. What are you doing? You seem to be very into pointing fingers. What are you doing?

A point worth exploring, I agree...

I am pointing fingers at the folks like you moaning.
    Cop on.

I am pointing fingers at the folks like you moaning.

In a thread about a user who is trying to reach out to people because he's in a very difficult spot? Sounds like you need to leave the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Paulfitzy

I can't help OP in any way, I wish I could but, unfortunately, I find myself in a similar position. In the last year or so, I have suffered from what I would describe as crippling anxiety and depression.

A quick summary of that backstory is that there was a lot that went on from my early teenage years to my mid twenties (the death of my father as well as other family members and friends, some sudden, some not so sudden) and I never really dealt with it properly. Counselling really helped me and made me realise that things had all just built up on me and came crashing down, and I found myself in a downward spiral. My girlfriend was stellar through all of this, I don't think I'll ever be able to thank her enough! Anyway, I was on the mend when the proverbial sh*t hit the fan.

Long story short, I was renting a room in a house that I shared with others and then I lost my job due to absence (I relapsed and could not find a way to leave my bed most days, never mind leave my room to even make food). Not long after, my girlfriend, who lived at her home house at the time, gave birth to our beautiful baby girl. I had no source of income (social welfare payment was pending due to various reasons) and I was falling behind on my rent and bills. It eventually came to the point where I had to leave the house because I could no longer afford to pay the rent and bills and be able to eat at the same time. I couch surfed for weeks, mostly in my girlfriends sitting room and friends couches, but the relationship she had with her mother, which was poor at best, broke down and her mother had threatened her and the baby and forced them to leave the house in the early hours of the morning with no place to go.

The 3 of us have been going from couch to couch since the beginning of February, waiting for Cope to help us but no word ever came from them. It wasn't until we actually had no place to go one night that I made my girlfriend check in to a refuge so that her and the child would be okay. As soon as that happened, Cope acted quickly and got us a room in a hotel just outside of the town. We've been here 2 days, and the comfort of not having to worry about where we will sleep next is a massive help, but neither of us drive and with no cooking or washing facilities (other than a dry cleaners) and the cost of eating out, buses and taxis to try get things sorted with the council and our belongings etc, our funds have dwindled rapidly.

We spoke to somebody who was in a similar situation before and they advised that Cope can provide laundry tokens, food vouchers and something equivalent to a bus pass, but after scouring the internet, I can't find any information relating to that. I'm wondering if anybody in a similar situation or with a knowledge of the sector can clarify if this is true? Are people entitled to this when availing of the homeless services, is it an "ask and you shall receive" situation, or do they decide this on a case by case basis once queried?

Also, I read through the majority of this post, and just to let you guys know, we have exhausted our options with family and friends on both sides, they were very good to us but we understand that there is only so much they can do. So just want to say that I'm looking for answers, not hassle as we have had enough of that.

Sorry for the life story, but any response with useful info would be much appreciated!

Much love,
    All 3 of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's also a decision.
    As is placing a college education above a place to stay.
    As is a multitude of other things that leave you without wider family support and/or a larger network of friends who can help out in a time of need.
    Or maybe the op is thinking longterm that an education will give him better financial opportunities in the future to find a home!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This is an unofficial, unverified AMA in After Hours. You'll forgive me if I question things a bit more than some.

To be honest your posts come across as judgemental and passive agressive

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭HBC08

Surely you have all the answers surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Both. I can't imagine how anyone can live without working during their studies, unless they are from the city in which they work, or their parents are very well-off.

Very little. Mostly from other homeless people, surprisingly.

I don't. It's apparently quite common among homeless people - a lack of a familial support network.

I thought with my job that I should have been able to afford rent. I was previously unemployed, so my tuition fees are almost free. I really am grateful for that. But even with my job, it's impossible to make ends meet.

The maintenance grant allowed me to only work summers in college. I was not from any city, so had to move away for college and most definitely not from a well-off family. Hence qualifying for the maintenance grant. But that was a decade and more ago, when my monthly rent in a close-to-town, good accommodation area never went above €400pcm. Is it the current rents that are making things so unaffordable now? Have you applied for the maintenance grant?

• Advertisement

To be honest your posts come across as judgemental and passive agressive

The OP obviously is thinking long term and believes that an education is better for them than a roof over their head right now.
    I can see you you might find some of my posting judgemental - I can't really do much about that. I've no intention of being passive aggressive - wouldn't be in me.

Advertisement