Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impromptu Ask Me Anything: Homelessness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

This is not the first time I've noticed bullying on boards.ie. I know it's just online, faceless cowards and we can brush it off but what's wrong with these people?

Forget it man, it's After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Guys.. Relax.

Im not a bully for asking OP all those questions earlier.. It is an ask me anything thread.

I may be a bit naive at times and wanted to know why OPs college wasnt aware of the homeless situation and also where his or her wages go each week if they are earning 200/250 a week.

There was no nastiness meant whatsoever. Just curious trying to cover all aspects.

I know day to day living costs can be expensive especially in Dublin. And hope you get a fixed abode sometime soon OP.

But i do fail to understand that on a 25 hour wage a week how you are not entitled to anything else.. Ie a grant or assistance with housing

I know food is expensive but I am on 300 a week and i would struggle to spend it all on food, but when im out drinking etc with friends it goes pretty fast.. Do you struggle with handling your money?

Just trying to get a more clear view of the situation was all.

Best of luck OP

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Homeless2019

But i do fail to understand that on a 25 hour wage a week how you are not entitled to anything else.. Ie a grant or assistance with housing

I know food is expensive but I am on 300 a week and i would struggle to spend it all on food, but when im out drinking etc with friends it goes pretty fast.. Do you struggle with handling your money?

Just trying to get a more clear view of the situation was all.
    I'm not drinking away the 250-odd quid I earn a week, if that's what you're asking, nor do I struggle with managing money. You get pretty good at handling money when necessity dictates it.

I can't cook at the homeless hostel, there's no kitchen. So everything has to be bought in shops and cafes, which is a big hit. There's also the hostel's rent, and the cost of getting public transport to and from work. I'm lucky that all my basic needs are net, but there's no way I can pay rent on top of this.

And yes, I could probably put whatever I can save towards a deposit, but my hours aren't even guaranteed in the shop I work in, I have no idea what I'll be earning a month from now.

I don't want to come across as trying to sound self-pitying, I'm just explaining the facts exactly as they are right now. I've done the sums, I've queued for the flat-shares, it is really not doable.

I've seen the unemployment slips of some of the guys I'm in the hostel with, and they're on approximately the same money as me. Does anyone really think you can rent a flat-share in Dublin on your Dole and eat and afford the bus, at the same time? I'd love to hear how that works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

mariaalice wrote: »
    On a technical point the OP is not homeless they are temporally living in a hostel.

That the most ridiculous attempt at pedantry I've seen in days.

You people with no fixed address, who don't know where they will sleep from one day to the next, are homeless.

The OP is homeless but every working definition of the term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

'
    A university wouldn't see their student sleeping in a homeless hostel if they knew.

Wow, I think you actually believe that?

There are dozens of people studying in third level institutions in Dublin who are homeless.

• Advertisement

jesus folks if the OP didnt want to discuss their situation theyd hardly have started a bloody thread about it would ye harden up.

OP admits he can save money and hasnt actually gone to his college to avail of supports available.

like. good luck op but cmon. kippy is bang on, if a little direct. you seem levelheaded enough but there is definitely an element of not having done the obvious here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

im sorry to read of your situation.
    one thing that annoys me about these shelters is the seeming willingness to allow junkies etc to continue with their drugs/drink/unacceptable behaviour.
    isnt this just giving them a place in which to carry on these addictions at the expense of others who dont do drugs etc?

its good that you've remained in college. best of luck with your future.

Wow, I think you actually believe that?

There are dozens of people studying in third level institutions in Dublin who are homeless.

if you were one of "dozens" of people in a situation out of a population of -lets say that dublin is an absolute must for. argument's sake- half a million, its very fair to note that it requires a high level of passivity (at best) to find yourself in that number

ive put a sibling up for extended periods of time in a similar situation, and i worked my own way through a couple of attempts at college after leaving home at 17 myself.

im renting in dublin and the market is fcuked but if you asked me if a working student absolutely positively could not find a room for rent within travel distance of the city......yeah i just dunno about that

like. good luck op but cmon. kippy is bang on, if a little direct. you seem levelheaded enough but there is definitely an element of not having done the obvious here.
    To say that I haven't approached anybody in person about this problem is accurate enough, but I have done some homework. There are student welfare loans of up to 100 euro, but no other supports as far as I can see, at least not for undergraduates in the early phase of our studies.

I'll go and speak to College officials in the coming week, I haven't already done so mainly out of embarrassment, but I honestly think you're overestimating the extent to which they could possibly help.

im sorry to read of your situation.
    one thing that annoys me about these shelters is the seeming willingness to allow junkies etc to continue with their drugs/drink/unacceptable behaviour.
    isnt this just giving them a place in which to carry on these addictions at the expense of others who dont do drugs etc?

its good that you've remained in college. best of luck with your future.
    I also want to be clear that I'm not in any way condemning those who are addicted to drugs and alcohol in those hostels. I'd rather not be sharing dorm rooms with them, but when they're sober, they're just ordinary people in a really bad place. I've already mentioned that many of them have been in the 'care' of the state from a young age, and had really messed up childhoods. I think I'd be like that if I'd been in their shoes, maybe you would be too.

im renting in dublin and the market is fcuked but if you asked me if a working student absolutely positively could not find a room for rent within travel distance of the city......yeah i just dunno about that
    You think it's possible to save for a month's deposit, a month's rent, and eat food on 200-odd quid a week, with minimal reliable hours, and that a Landlord would take-on such a liability during a massive supply shortage?

PM me if you're a landlord like that, because I haven't met any.

I really wish renting in Dublin were that simple.

good luck to you in talking to the student support/welfare people in your college. i think your comment that ppl are 'seriously overestimating what they might be able to do' is telling, really.

if its not a windup its astonishing that youd be homeless on the back of that without even having asked.

• Advertisement

if its not a windup its astonishing that youd be homeless on the back of that without even having asked.
    Man, it's 3am, pissing rain outside, and maybe the mods can verify that I'm posting from a PC in a well-known Dublin college.

Bit too much work for just a wind-up.

I've been involved in a few societies in college, I know what resources are like here. By all means I'll speak to College support people, but their welfare schemes are well publicised, and they don't pay anyone's rent. Nor would I ask them to.

The point of this thread was only so that people could ask anything they want of a homeless person, if they were curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Man, it's 3am, pissing rain outside, and maybe the mods can verify that I'm posting from a PC in a well-known Dublin college.

Bit too much work for just a wind-up.

I've been involved in a few societies in college, I know what resources are like here. By all means I'll speak to College support people, but their welfare schemes are well publicised, and they don't pay anyone's rent. Nor would I ask them to.

The point of this thread was only so that people could ask anything they want of a homeless person, if they were curious.

You sound very sensible and with your head screwed on, you will be fine its just a tempory stage in your life when you are qualifed and working it will be different its just very hard at the moment. Would you go to the multifaith center in the college and talk to someone even just to talk this our with someone. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just curious OP, do you use the University showers, I used to lived in accommodation in Galway that had no shower facilities so I used to pop up to the NUIG and use their showers from time to time.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Bit too much work for just a wind up

Why is everything presumed to be a wind up?

Ok keep studying. Education is the only way out

Does your employment not know about your situation? It doesnt make sense to me

Surely it has come up in conversation with colleagues? Will we go out tonight or where are you living etc

How long are you working there? Would it be an option to tell them the predicament you're in and possibly get an advance?

Surely the college could sort out a lunch for you everyday so you could save a bit each week seen as you're homeless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

You're very naive if you think people aren't playing the system just because you and other people you've met are genuinely homeless.

OP never mentioned that people are not playing the system...
    kippy wrote: »
    Well, you can tiptoe around the issue all you want, but based on the pieces of information we are being given, that is my honest opinion - an opinion that would apply to this specific situation
    Harsh or not I think its necessary to be honest.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one...
    I may be a bit naive at times and wanted to know why OPs college wasnt aware of the homeless situation and also where his or her wages go each week if they are earning 200/250 a week.

Did you not insinuate that the OP spends his money on drugs, drink and loans? Of all the things to pick, you chose those three.

When I was in college I had a friend who was working as a plasterers apprentice I believe, he got paid a decent wage. Nothing crazy, but he had a couple of bob. He wasn't married, but lived with his girlfriend and their child. He had asked me if he could stay on my couch as his girlfriend had thrown a wobbler and kicked him out. She was a little bit mentally unstable. Just like that, he had no place to go.

It must have taken some courage to ask his friend to stay on his couch. He didn't ask for a night or two, or for a little while. He asked if he could stay with us until he got back on his feet. It could have been a couple of weeks or longer. Sound bloke, in a shítty situation. I think he stayed for about 2 months. Paid rent every week which went towards the bills. Every time I seen him after, he would always thank me and said that if it wasn't for our help he would have set up a tent in a field somewhere. I hope I am never in that situation.

If I found myself in that situation, I don't think I would have too many friends I could ask for that kind of help. Not everybody is blessed with a large circle of family and friends who would be happy to help.

OP, looking back over the years, is there anything you could have changed in order to avoid your current situation or was everything out of your control? Could you have made a bigger effort with your family/friends? Could you have saved more? Is there any advice you could give others on how to 1. avoid being homeless 2. coping mechanisms you used to get you through this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭This is it

Does your employment not know about your situation? It doesnt make sense to me

Surely it has come up in conversation with colleagues? Will we go out tonight or where are you living etc

How long are you working there? Would it be an option to tell them the predicament you're in and possibly get an advance?

Surely the college could sort out a lunch for you everyday so you could save a bit each week seen as you're homeless?

What would he do with the cash advance?

And while saving is always good, what would the OP do with this extra €20 a week... They won't rent a room, that's for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Are you aware that, if you're registered as homeless, if you rent a room/property through Homeless HAP, the council will pay 1.5 times the usual rate and also the deposit and two months rent upfront. You don't even have to rent within the area you're registered for, you can live anywhere in the country. I'd be looking at that option rather than living in a hostel long-term, I know from my own experience that those temporary accommodations can really mess with your head. It's no way to live.

OP never mentioned that people are not playing the system...

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one...

Did you not insinuate that the OP spends his money on drugs, drink and loans? Of all the things to pick, you chose those three.

When I was in college I had a friend who was working as a plasterers apprentice I believe, he got paid a decent wage. Nothing crazy, but he had a couple of bob. He wasn't married, but lived with his girlfriend and their child. He had asked me if he could stay on my couch as his girlfriend had thrown a wobbler and kicked him out. She was a little bit mentally unstable. Just like that, he had no place to go.

It must have taken some courage to ask his friend to stay on his couch. He didn't ask for a night or two, or for a little while. He asked if he could stay with us until he got back on his feet. It could have been a couple of weeks or longer. Sound bloke, in a shítty situation. I think he stayed for about 2 months. Paid rent every week which went towards the bills. Every time I seen him after, he would always thank me and said that if it wasn't for our help he would have set up a tent in a field somewhere. I hope I am never in that situation.

If I found myself in that situation, I don't think I would have too many friends I could ask for that kind of help. Not everybody is blessed with a large circle of family and friends who would be happy to help.

OP, looking back over the years, is there anything you could have changed in order to avoid your current situation or was everything out of your control? Could you have made a bigger effort with your family/friends? Could you have saved more? Is there any advice you could give others on how to 1. avoid being homeless 2. coping mechanisms you used to get you through this time.

Jayz were awful sensitive in here today.

No i insinuated nothing, i explained MY money would go fast only if i spent it on drink or things similar to it but that id struggle to spend 250 a week on sandwiches.

I just thought maybe OP could chat with a guidance counsellor to maybe have free lunches in the canteen everyday or whatever since his main expenditure seems to be food. Surely he could save 100 a week then towards a room. 500 in 5 weeks. Better than what he has now..

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭The Real Ramona

OP, I'm very sorry to read about your situation. I hope that finishing your course and getting a full time job afterwards brings you out of this.

My question is, how do you manage to sleep on the floor at your college? Where exactly do you sleep and has nobody noticed?

Wishing you the best of luck in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Teepinaw

When I walk past a person sleeping on the street, with sleeping bag and collecting coins in a cup, I never know if I should give that person money..
    Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

What's your take on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭This is it

Jayz were awful sensitive in here today.

No i insinuated nothing, i explained MY money would go fast only if i spent it on drink or things similar to it but that id struggle to spend 250 a week on sandwiches.

I just thought maybe OP could chat with a guidance counsellor to maybe have free lunches in the canteen everyday or whatever since his main expenditure seems to be food. Surely he could save 100 a week then towards a room. 500 in 5 weeks. Better than what he has now..

I don't think it's sensitivity but rather surprise at the lack of empathy shown in your posts. Every second sentence is "Surely".

Surely you know that if things were as easy to change as you're making out, the OP would have done so.

Hopefully the information in Foweva Awone post goes some way to helping the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

jesus folks if the OP didnt want to discuss their situation theyd hardly have started a bloody thread about it would ye harden up.

OP admits he can save money and hasnt actually gone to his college to avail of supports available.

Ah here kippys solution is for the OP to impose himself on a friend who is in a relationship and try and smooth things over with a few quid. Completely ridiculous.

Anyone who was imposing on a friend long term, possibly having a detrimental impact on that friends relationship should be advised to stop imposing on that friend and to see what the government and support services can do for them. Not the other way round.

By kippys logic anyone who has at least one friend with accomodation is homeless because of "decisions" they have made.

Are there soup kitchen style places in Dublin where people can get a free meal? If so perhaps eat on that type of place as much as you can.

I don't know if it's still the case but Govindas on Abbey St would give you a massive plate of food for a Euro or two at closing time.

Also try the St Vincent de Paul. I've a family member heavily involved and know they have helped people out with money for college materials which you've listed as a big expense. They'd be only too happy to help a clearly genuine case like yourself.

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Ah here kippys solution is for the OP to impose himself on a friend who is in a relationship and try and smooth things over with a few quid. Completely ridiculous.

Anyone who was imposing on a friend long term, possibly having a detrimental impact on that friends relationship should be advised to stop imposing on that friend and to see what the government and support services can do for them. Not the other way round.

By kippys logic anyone who has at least one friend with accomodation is homeless because of "decisions" they have made.

unfair

the OP has avoided speaking to the institutional supports in place because he presumes theyll do nothing

everything else in the thread, and wishing the OP the best of luck in taking the above step, is absolute fluff

but it raises a very interesting point in the damage done by a constant background noise attacking the institutions and bodies that exist to give assistance to genuine and deserving cases, as this certainly appears to be.

i have to say (and look i have said it, fair enough!) the OP appears to be very passive about meeting their housing need, its a very peculiar contrast to their determination to stay in work and college, which are both hugely laudable efforts we all agree.

jumping on any post that questions whether they need to be in the situation they are in is not a solution either.

This is it wrote: »
    I don't think it's sensitivity but rather surprise at the lack of empathy shown in your posts. Every second sentence is "Surely".

Surely you know that if things were as easy to change as you're making out, the OP would have done so.

Hopefully the information in Foweva Awone post goes some way to helping the OP.

Again
    That comes down to sensitivity

This is a thread where we ask questions. Not display our feelings for one another.

Were trying to understand OPs situation and offer alternatives. Not tell them how much we feel sorry for them.

LLMMLL wrote: »

unfair

the OP has avoided speaking to the institutional supports in place because he presumes theyll do nothing

everything else in the thread, and wishing the OP the best of luck in taking the above step, is absolute fluff

but it raises a very interesting point in the damage done by a constant background noise attacking the institutions and bodies that exist to give assistance to genuine and deserving cases, as this certainly appears to be.

i have to say (and look i have said it, fair enough!) the OP appears to be very passive about meeting their housing need, its a very peculiar contrast to their determination to stay in work and college, which are both hugely laudable efforts we all agree.

jumping on any post that questions whether they need to be in the situation they are in is not a solution either.

Not unfair at all. Kippy kept asking questions until he got a response he felt he could portray as being the OPs decision. He wasn't talking about the OP not going to his college. He kept asking about the OPs family and friends who cannot be expected to fill the gap long term especially given his family circumstances.

It's also ridiculous to concentrate on the OP not going to his University for assistance when he has engaged with other bodies. He has gone to the government for assistance. Not asking his University for assistance doesn't then place him in a category of "oh well he hasn't tried hard enough".

Yes the OP can ask his University for help. They may be able to help a small bit but the body that can help most are official government services. And the OP has engaged with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I don't frequent many Boards AMA's but Christ, some of these replies to this guy are staggering.

Any time I go to Dublin I am reminded how lucky I have it with the number of people out on the streets in all weather conditions. Fair play to you for sticking with your studies under all of this -- the vast majority (myself included) probably wouldn't be able for it. Best of luck to you, OP.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

A lot of people, a lot of Irish people, are extremely narrow minded and I see lots of utterly disgusting hot-takes surrounding homeless people. I work remotely and so I have to stay in hostels; I have been refused rental hundreds of times for being a freelancer. I meet far too many regular joes in these hostels who fell victim to asshole landlords, for a number of reasons. During off-season more than 50% of guests can be working individuals. Many have simply given up looking. I myself gave up many months ago, I couldn't face it anymore. Saves me bus money heading out to these places, saves me the knot in my stomach lining up for an hour prior knowing I'm going to be refused. Things are very serious in Dublin and in many cities around the world now. If you look at any listings on rental Facebook groups, most are single rooms that have had four bunks into them; so that wouldn't even be a lateral move for me; these places are not built for several people, in regard to ameneties. I've seen a lot of people in genuine situations end up homeless on YouTube, a great platform for those who want to really open their eyes to how this issue is changing in an alarming way these days. I recommend the channel 'Invisible People' as a good start.

It saves me the stress of futily looking, but it is still very stressful and not a lifestyle anyone would want. They can be dangerous, and you will be around unsavoury characters. They're noisy places, and this has taken a toll on my anxiety etc.

Best of luck OP. You're fighting for your education, fair play, don't let any sneering, condescending or begrudging people tell you otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Daz527

If you buy a bike for 100 quid your transport needs are nil for good. How can’t you afford to do this. Surely you could save 20 a week for 5 weeks? I don’t earn much more than that and while a struggle is well manageable

Advertisement