Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hate crime? Really?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Have any of the big lads with the little jokes been at the heart of major exhibitions at UK museums?

https://twitter.com/TheSineadBurke/status/1129486417787334656?s=19

Nah, didn't think so.

So what ?, this is a condescending nonsense PC gesture, it means nothing, it's embarrassing almost like affirmative action.
    Reminds me of the 300KG woman on the cover of cosmopolitan, and we were told that was "beauty" ... yeah sure...

All men are gonna prefer looking at a 6ft Swedish blond with long tanned legs - believe me!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Candie wrote: »
    He didn't pole vault.

She didn't call it a hate crime.

She didn't go to the papers about it.

She has a disability. They did it to her because of that disability.

Correction 'leap-frogged' (semantics)
    If she did not call it a 'hate crime' the person who wrote the article is a fool. It dilutes the Burke's message almost instantly.

Thanks for clarifying that she has a disability. I realised that part already! It is much more difficult to leap frog someone who is 5 foot plus.

I would not agree they did it because she had a disability - they did it because they thought it would be funny (see my comments about media perception)

Much like kids tying bangers to dogs tails, they do it because they think it is funny.

The young lads did not go around targeting dwarfs/little people that day in question. It was a spur of the moment stupid/cruel prank they did.
    No 'hate crime'
    For the reporter to term it as a 'hate crime' makes it seem ridiculous.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Have any of the big lads with the little jokes been at the heart of major exhibitions at UK museums?

https://twitter.com/TheSineadBurke/status/1129486417787334656?s=19

Nah, didn't think so.
    Posting that is only going to give those people more ammo for jokes to be honest.
    A 20 ft high poster....body beautiful?

It is like a red rag to a bull.

And it only took a few more posts to prove it -
    So what ?, this is a condescending nonsense PC gesture, it means nothing, it's embarrassing almost like affirmative action.
    Reminds me of the 300KG woman on the cover of cosmopolitan, and we were told that was "beauty" ... yeah sure...

All men are gonna prefer looking at a 6ft Swedish blond with long tanned legs - believe me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Yes thank god we've progressed from the dark ages when people of different body types were put up on stage for the delectation of the public and profiteering of the shows' organisers.

freakshows-tl.jpg

D6xy6OaWkAcXlqC.jpg

Winnie-Harlow-Covers-The-September-2016-Issue-Of-Marie-Claire-M%C3%A9xico-1-447x600.png

cd16a95627f881b9fef159a9a3b61790

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I would not agree they did it because she had a disability - they did it because they thought it would be funny (see my comments about media perception)
    So you recognise that unwelcome leapfrogging is not a problem for most people, and then you say "I would not agree they did it because she had a disability". Do you not see the glaring contradiction here? They wouldn't have done it if she didn't have that particular form of disability. They literally did it because she has that particular disability.

The young lads did not go around targeting dwarfs/little people that day in question.

They literally did - they did target one littler person that day in question, and assaulted them in a way that wouldn't be feasible but for their disability.

Posting that is only going to give those people more ammo for jokes to be honest.
    A 20 ft high poster....body beautiful?

It is like a red rag to a bull.
    Ah, I get it now - you want to go back to the 60s and 70s where people with disabilities are locked away in institutions and not talked about because they make you feel uncomfortable.

Yeah, that's not going to happen.
    So again and again as kept coming back to on this thread, if it were a "normal" height person that had a lad jump over them and then said " he then walked past me again with a frightening grin. I was furious and scared."

Would that be a hate crime ?
    Does that ever happen - people getting jumped over on the street?

You don't speak for all men. You certainly don't speak for me.

• Advertisement

So you recognise that unwelcome leapfrogging is not a problem for most people, and then you say "I would not agree they did it because she had a disability". Do you not see the glaring contradiction here? They wouldn't have done it if she didn't have that particular form of disability. They literally did it because she has that particular disability.

No you are missing the nuance.
    They were able to leapfrog her because she had a disability. But the reason they did it was not because she had a disability - it was because they thought it would be funny and they were just cruel and ignorant.

Ah, I get it now - you want to go back to the 60s and 70s where people with disabilities are locked away in institutions and not talked about because they make you feel uncomfortable.

As a person with an obvious physical disability, I feel I am more qualified to talk about this than most.
    So trying to make those assumptions about me are way off the mark (and therefore very funny to me - it also shows how dangerous assumptions are). Also it proves to me that in your rush for 'outrage' you did not read my post about problems of media perception.

I have seen/heard it all at this point. And these days it has got to the stage when other people try and get offended on my behalf, based on thier own viewpoint as able bodied people - and therefore what society now decrees is offensive and when it is not.
    It leads to tokenism and an unintended condescending attitude, by those who are well intentioned.

It is almost like the white man's guilt when discussing slavery in Africa etc.
    Yet it is the white people that are ones who decide what people are offended by more often than not. :D

A journalist from a reputable paper to use terms such as 'hate crime' (way out of proportion) does everyone a dis-service (both able-bodied and disabled alike) for the hyperbolic levels of outrage.
    Hate crime me árse!

No you are missing the nuance.
    They were able to leapfrog her because she had a disability. But the reason they did it was not because she had a disability - it was because they thought it would be funny and they were just cruel and ignorant.
    There is no nuance. As you say yourself, they were able to leapfrog her because of her disability. They literally did it because she had this disability. If she didn't have this disability, they wouldn't have done it. It doesn't happen to other people. Of course it's a hate crime based on her disability.

If I sexually exploit a person with intellectual disability by taking advantage of their reduced capability, it's not because I'm a horny bastad, it's because of their disability. If I dip into the wallet of a person with sight loss, it's not because I'm a greedy bastad, it's because of their disability. All these are hate crimes, that exploit the disability of the victim, as was the assault on Sinead. They're also all offences of varying degrees of seriousness, which is another question - but they're still hate crimes.

As a person with an obvious physical disability, I feel I am more qualified to talk about this than most.
    So trying to make those assumptions about me are way off the mark (and therefore very funny to me - it also shows how dangerous assumptions are). Also it proves to me that in your rush for 'outrage' you did not read my post about problems of media perception.

I have seen/heard it all at this point. And these days it has got to the stage when other people try and get offended on my behalf, based on thier own viewpoint as able bodied people - and therefore what society now decrees is offensive and when it is not.
    It leads to tokenism and an unintended condescending attitude, by those who are well intentioned.

It is almost like the white man's guilt when discussing slavery in Africa etc.
    Yet it is the white people that are ones who decide what people are offended by more often than not. biggrin.png

A journalist from a reputable paper to use terms such as 'hate crime' (way out of proportion) does everyone a dis-service (both able-bodied and disabled alike) for the hyperbolic levels of outrage.
    Hate crime me árse!
    I made no assumption about your ability or disability. I simply called out the attitude you displayed in your comments - that Sinead should stay quiet and keep her head down and avoid publicity because you're uncomfortable about her disability. Your discomfort is your problem, not hers and not mine.

If there is a problem with the 'jokes', then call out the jokers - don't blame those who are going ahead with living the lives they choose as 'giving more ammo'.

If I sexually exploit a person with intellectual disability by taking advantage of their reduced capability, it's not because I'm a horny bastad, it's because of their disability. If I dip into the wallet of a person with sight loss, it's not because I'm a greedy bastad, it's because of their disability. All these are hate crimes, that exploit the disability of the victim, as was the assault on Sinead. They're also all offences of varying degrees of seriousness, which is another question - but they're still hate crimes.

You are really stretching here. It's. It a hate crime to steal from a blind person. It's simply a crime. It's not a hate crime to sexually exploit a person with an intellectual disability, it's a crime.

Jumping over someone's head is not a hate crime, not even sure it's a crime. It's a ****ty thing to do and shouldn't be tolerated or encouraged.

Glad to see you are keeping your ridiculous comparison streak intact.

If I sexually exploit a person with intellectual disability by taking advantage of their reduced capability, it's not because I'm a horny bastad, it's because of their disability. If I dip into the wallet of a person with sight loss, it's not because I'm a greedy bastad, it's because of their disability. All these are hate crimes,

stop

jesus christ ffs stop

this is total and absolute nonsense

you cant just make this stuff true by getting continuously more furious

step back and read what you are claiming

it is really really poor stuff

nothing of what you have claimed there makes the slightest bit of sense, none of those things are hate crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

sabat wrote: »

Apart from the freakshow posters of course, the image above is the only one a take issue with.

She is morbidly obese. This is a dangerous medical condition and shouldn't be encouraged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

Ffs :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yes thank god we've progressed from the dark ages when people of different body types were put up on stage for the delectation of the public and profiteering of the shows' organisers.

freakshows-tl.jpg

D6xy6OaWkAcXlqC.jpg

Winnie-Harlow-Covers-The-September-2016-Issue-Of-Marie-Claire-M%C3%A9xico-1-447x600.png

If the one in that bottom pic lives to see 50 she will be lucky, she's a walking heart attack waiting to happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Apart from the freakshow posters of course, the image above is the only one a take issue with.

She is morbidly obese. This is a dangerous medical condition and shouldn't be encouraged.

The point I was making is that the fashion industry's new-found obsession with putting people with unusual body types front and centre is more about putting them on display for the public to have a gawp and create a publicity stir resulting ultimately in increased profits than any genuine sense of progressiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

The point I was making is that the fashion industry's new-found obsession with putting people with unusual body types front and centre is more about putting them on display for the public to have a gawp and create a publicity stir resulting ultimately in increased profits than any genuine sense of progressiveness.

Sorry, I thought you were trying to illustrate progress :pac:

If I sexually exploit a person with intellectual disability by taking advantage of their reduced capability, it's not because I'm a horny bastad, it's because of their disability
    . If I dip into the wallet of a person with sight loss, it's not because I'm a greedy bastad, it's because of their disability. All these are hate crimes, that exploit the disability of the victim, as was the assault on Sinead. They're also all offences of varying degrees of seriousness, which is another question - but they're still hate crimes.

This hillarious it is like a comedy sketch.

By implication you would not have any form of sexual intercourse (consensual or otherwise) with someone who had an intellectual disability, even if you were horny. Implication = must be some form of last resort?

Your second example the blind person, the pick pocket is after money and will pickpocket anyone he/she has a chance of getting money from.
    They do not only target blind people, they target all people. The pickpocket is by thier very nature inclusive.

I made no assumption about your ability or disability. I simply called out the attitude you displayed in your comments - that Sinead should stay quiet and keep her head down and avoid publicity because you're uncomfortable about her disability. Your discomfort is your problem, not hers and not mine.

Yes. You did make an assumption. You are also assuming I have a discomfort with Sinead now as well.

My issue is the use of hyperbolic language 'hate crime'.

Also I view people like yourself as part of the problem not the solution.
    The re-wrtiting of language and a rush towards outrage. Disabled = differently abled etc (It sounds laughable)
    It makes light of more serious issues.
    Also the rush to be 'inclusive' puts other labels on people they do not want.
    It ends up highlighting difference rather than similarity.
    The names just seem to get longer and more convoluted with time!

If there is a problem with the 'jokes', then call out the jokers - don't blame those who are going ahead with living the lives they choose as 'giving more ammo'.

You are one of those who are giving people more ammo, you are exactly the type of person who is more of a hindrance than a help.

Personally if someone wrote an article about me and called it a 'hate crime' I would be disgusted. Why not call it a disturbing incident and cut down on the sensationalism?
    The journalist is not even treating Sinead, as she would if another person was belittled on the street.
    Is that really inclusive when even the crime suddenly gets given the 'hate' prefix (for any person) ?.
    Is Sinead from a different race or planet? She is an Irishwoman first and foremost as far as I am concerned. I have a real problem with the use of different language for the sake of it. It devalues people and labels people, despite good intentions.
    So if the people with good intentions put these labels on people in the name of inclusivity, what hope do the 'jokers' have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

And it's to give themselves a pat on the back for being so right-on.

I've seen discussions on the topic of ignoring extreme obesity - people who say, in a very measured, polite, reasoned manner that it's wrong to ignore the ramifications for health, and that a more helpful approach would be to encourage getting healthy... get shouted down as haters and trolls (there is widespread ignorance of what the latter means) when there is literally zero hateful contained therein. It's also really slim employees for these companies, really slim bloggers, fashion writers etc who are the ones roaring about hatred and trolling... when they would absolutely lose it if they put on an ounce themselves. It's such a disingenuous narrative.

You are really stretching here. It's. It a hate crime to steal from a blind person. It's simply a crime. It's not a hate crime to sexually exploit a person with an intellectual disability, it's a crime.

Jumping over someone's head is not a hate crime, not even sure it's a crime. It's a ****ty thing to do and shouldn't be tolerated or encouraged.

Have you actually looked at the definition of 'hate crime' at all?

Are you saying that 'there is no such thing as hate crime'?

And it's to give themselves a pat on the back for being so right-on.
    I've seen discussions on the topic of ignoring extreme obesity - people who say, in a very measured, polite, reasoned manner that it's wrong to ignore the ramifications for health, and that a more helpful approach would be to encourage getting healthy... get shouted down as haters and trolls (there is widespread ignorance of what the latter means) when there is literally zero hateful contained therein. It's also really slim employees for these companies, really slim bloggers, fashion writers etc who are the ones roaring about hatred and trolling... when they would absolutely lose it if they put on an ounce themselves. It's such a disingenuous narrative.

Isn't it great to be able to make up wild generalisations generalisations that have little or nothing to do with the topic under discussion and use them in some broad sweep to score a point or two?

No doubt that most industries desire is to create increased profits. It's not so much about sense or image of inclusiveness or progressiveness. It is about reaching more customers. Marketing that appeals to more people means more customers and more profits. It's perfect business sense to focus their marketing messages broadly.
    This hillarious it is like a comedy sketch.

By implication you would not have any form of sexual intercourse (consensual or otherwise) with someone who had an intellectual disability, even if you were horny. Implication = must be some form of last resort?

Your second example the blind person, the pick pocket is after money and will pickpocket anyone he/she has a chance of getting money from.
    They do not only target blind people, they target all people. The pickpocket is by thier very nature inclusive.
    I've really no idea where you're trying to go with this, but it is more bizarre than hilarious. Are you trying to promote sexual relationships with people with intellectual disabilities or what? Do you have any idea how sensitive an area this is, with the difficulties of exploitation and informed consent?

And btw, I didn't mention a pickpocket. That's another assumption that you've made. I mentioned a person who took money from a person with sight loss, no more and no less. The rest of the story is your own imagination.

Yes. You did make an assumption. You are also assuming I have a discomfort with Sinead now as well.
    I'm not assuming it - I'm concluding it from your response to my posting the details of her exhibition in the museum in the UK. Why would you suggest that this shouldn't be posted?

My issue is the use of hyperbolic language 'hate crime'.

Also I view people like yourself as part of the problem not the solution.
    The re-wrtiting of language and a rush towards outrage. Disabled = differently abled etc (It sounds laughable)
    It makes light of more serious issues.
    Also the rush to be 'inclusive' puts other labels on people they do not want.
    It ends up highlighting difference rather than similarity.
    The names just seem to get longer and more convoluted with time!

You are one of those who are giving people more ammo, you are exactly the type of person who is more of a hindrance than a help.

Personally if someone wrote an article about me and called it a 'hate crime' I would be disgusted. Why not call it a disturbing incident and cut down on the sensationalism?
    The journalist is not even treating Sinead, as she would if another person was belittled on the street.
    Is that really inclusive when even the crime suddenly gets given the 'hate' prefix (for any person) ?.
    Is Sinead from a different race or planet? She is an Irishwoman first and foremost as far as I am concerned. I have a real problem with the use of different language for the sake of it. It devalues people and labels people, despite good intentions.
    So if the people with good intentions put these labels on people in the name of inclusivity, what hope do the 'jokers' have?

Equality is not about treating people equally. You may well need to treat people differently to create equal outcomes. I'm not a huge fan of the 'liberation' terminology used here, but you'll get the point.

equality-equity-liberation.png

So yes, the journalist did not treat Sinead in the same way that they might treat any other person (though you conveniently ignore the fact that other people don't generally get leapfrogged over). And the journalist had very good reason for doing so.

I suppose we might speed things up if we confirm whether you see any kind of crime as 'hate crime' - are you saying that 'hate crime' doesn't exist?

For the record, I've never used the term 'differently abled', so you seem to have me confused with someone else.

Are you saying that 'there is no such thing as hate crime'?

No. I'm saying your examples are ****.
    I've really no idea where you're trying to go with this, but it is more bizarre than hilarious. Are you trying to promote sexual relationships with people with intellectual disabilities or what? Do you have any idea how sensitive an area this is, with the difficulties of exploitation and informed consent?

Haha. Jesus.
    So yes, the journalist did not treat Sinead in the same way that they might treat any other person (though you conveniently ignore the fact that other people don't generally get leapfrogged over). And the journalist had very good reason for doing so.

If they jumped over a child, would it be because they hated kids or because they're able to?

Equality is not about treating people equally. You may well need to treat people differently to create equal outcomes. I'm not a huge fan of the 'liberation' terminology used here, but you'll get the point.

So would you be in favour of positive discrimination?

For the record, I've never used the term 'differently abled', so you seem to have me confused with someone else.

I was speaking generally.
    With respect I don't really think you know what you are talking about at all.
    It is funny though that you are transferring extreme outrage on others behalf.
    You have no understanding of the everyday 'humoring' disabled people have to do with people like you - when you insist on taking up a 'cause'.
    My thought 'always is 'here we go one of those who think they are helping.'

I know you mean well but you are doing more harm than good, believe me.

The reality is people are not created equal and never will be.
    People have different strengths, weaknesses, and backgrounds.
    Equality is a nice buzzword that is thrown around, it is a nice aspiration, but it is not the real world.

• Advertisement

No. I'm saying your examples are ****.

So what is your definition of hate crime?

So would you be in favour of positive discrimination?

So would you be in favour of ramps for wheelchair users?

The reality is people are not created equal and never will be.
    People have different strengths, weaknesses, and backgrounds.
    I'd broadly agree with you there. Now what's all this got to do with whether this assault is a hate crime?

I'd broadly agree with you there. Now what's all this got to do with whether this assault is a hate crime?

It is you that brought up equality'. My argument is that the term 'hate crime' enhances difference more than prevent injustice.

The term should be just a 'crime' or incidence
    The usage of 'hate crime' is particularly over stated the Sinead Burke article.

So what is your definition of hate crime?

Acts of violence or criminality fuelled by hatred (clue is in the name).

Stealing from a blind person isn't one. Unless he was stealing from them because of how much he hated blind people rather than being an opportunist.

So would you be in favour of ramps for wheelchair users?

Yes. Now please answer mine. Are you in favour of positive discrimination? Gender/race quotas in politics and or the workplace?

Yes. Now please answer mine. Are you in favour of positive discrimination? Gender/race quotas in politics and or the workplace?

Great, so you're in favour of positive discrimination. You did know where that was going, right?

It is you that brought up equality'. My argument is that the term 'hate crime' enhances difference more than prevent injustice.

The term should be just a 'crime' or incidence
    The usage of 'hate crime' is particularly over stated the Sinead Burke article.

So just to be clear, do you believe in hate crime?

Acts of violence or criminality fuelled by hatred (clue is in the name).

Actually, the clue is the several decades of international work on this issue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_crime
    https://data.world/adl/hate-crime-laws-and-statistics

• Advertisement

Great, so you're in favour of positive discrimination. You did know where that was going, right?

Wheelchair ramps are positive discrimination? Are you mental? Who do they discriminate against?

Anyway, as I asked, are you in favour of actual positive discrimination eg gender and/or race quotas?

Advertisement