Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A plea to abolish the "thanks" system on this site

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I like the ‘thanks’ system, especially when people complain about posts that oppose them getting way more appreciation that way. That kind of complaining doesn’t happen often but when it does, it’s delicious. :D You have an unpopular viewpoint - deal with it. It’s nothing to do with cliques or ganging up. I’ve been the unpopular one myself before, viewpoint-wise, and it’s really not that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Wibbs wrote: »
    A few years back someone in the know informed me that I give the most thanks of all posters. I liked to hear that. :) I generally thank any post that I read twice that's funny/interesting/informative(triple points if it's something I was completely ignorant of), whether they agree with me and my outlook or not.

I’d say it’s likely that you’re the most thanked too!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭alan1963

LillySV wrote: »
    saying thanks is only manners..where ya not thought that at home? :D

It's taught, not thought, were you not taught to spell at home?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Patlanta

I think there were probably people arguing for a thumbs-down counterpart since thumbs-up was introduced and honestly I don't think Boards is going to change at this stage, so for me it's just a WIBNI thing. However there is one other WIBNI thing that might have less opposition and could make it easier for people to thank something they don't want to be seen thanking, and that's anonymous thanks. It seems to the be the standard way of thanking/liking on most other social media forums.

Patlanta wrote: »
    ...could make it easier for people to thank something they don't want to be seen thanking, and that's anonymous thanks.

Y'know, I reckon the majority of posters on this site are under pseudonyms. Just a hunch, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Patlanta

Y'know, I reckon the majority of posters on this site are under pseudonyms. Just a hunch, mind.

Oh, I know but nonetheless people are protective of the reputation of their internet alter egos, crazy as it may sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Jmsg wrote: »
    It's my take that the "tanks" system

MYh6.gif

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Totally agree to remove "thanks". Its probably here to quantify consensus, but to give a real example of forums here populated by fanatics like the Commuting & Transport, you post a complaint about a particular train or bus journey, immediately one of the CIE fanboys poke a "hole" in your complaint, and then immediately another 20 CIE fanboys "thank" the original fanboy. So its pointless even going there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Wait. There are CIE fanboys? Jaysis that is pretty niche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Omackeral wrote: »
    Wait. There are CIE fanboys? Jaysis that is pretty niche.
    Probably Iarnrod Eireann employees who are also forum members or train spotters.
    The above did literally happen. I think I was complaining because the Dart trains were cut to 1 carriage a few years ago at peak hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Did the op start this thread to complain about the thanks system so he could get as much thanks as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Pac1Man wrote: »
    If someone writes a post with a thesaurus, I'm definitely not thanking it.

Yours sincerely,
    Baby Kangaroo Tribbiani.

This could be my new favourite post ever.

Well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

alan1963 wrote: »
    It's taught, not thought, were you not taught to spell at home?:D

Thanks by two ! Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

A “Super Thanks” or just Super is the way to go ....

Super

https://youtu.be/6ajEW9kjufM

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Every post needs a big word

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

How narrowminded... the Thanks system is neat in other ways, like seeing a great post or hilarious comment.

Curb your pessimism please. It isn't a downvoting...

It didn't use to be here and the site worked fine. But it serves its purpose in avoiding the relentless +1 as someone else mentioned.

A bit more variety could be good. Thanks / I agree / I disagree / You're a wanker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

A dislike button would be open to abuse. Let people make an effort to post actual words if they are going to disagree with me, the fools. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I'd like a button that posts a random Simpson or Fr Ted qoute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I'd like a button that posts a random Simpson or Fr Ted qoute.

Careful now!

wasnt the world a fine place when you could dislike something minor without petitioning for it to be removed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

You wrote a post with a dictionary and ended up saying nothing at all.........

I know which one is more irritating :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

After tiring of a few pages of a post it’s a good way to ignore the unpopular posts that have no thanks and skim through and speed read the “good” ones.

Thanks qty can be a time management aid particularly if it’s a long post. There are only so many hours in the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

When username "YourTalkingBollox" thanks my post I wish they didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,213 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If there wasn't a thanks button we would have an OP followed by the next 30 posts saying +1 (with most of them probably quoting the OP).
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I can never quite understand boards.ie? Are the 92 thanks of the OP agreeing that the thanks forum should be abolished or are they ironic? Its After Hours so I'll go with ironic ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I thank any post that uses big words.
    People will think I understood it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

I thank posts that I agree with and I thank posts I disagree with. I also thanks posts that make me laugh or have a good point.

I also thank posts for no particular reason and for the heck of it.

I'd be striving for the title of Thank You Queen 2020.

It's nice to be nice so keep on thanking your fellow posters/posers I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

A few years back someone in the know informed me that I give the most thanks of all posters.

I knew it! You're really Barry McGuigan, aren't you? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

A few years back someone in the know informed me that I give the most thanks of all posters. I liked to hear that. :) I generally thank any post that I read twice that's funny/interesting/informative(triple points if it's something I was completely ignorant of), whether they agree with me and my outlook or not.

I think its a good idea around here to thank all posts that Wibbs has thanked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

my3cents wrote: »
    I can never quite understand boards.ie? Are the 92 thanks of the OP agreeing that the thanks forum should be abolished or are they ironic? Its After Hours so I'll go with ironic ?

Not much of a sample but I was being ironic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Totally agree to remove "thanks". Its probably here to quantify consensus, but to give a real example of forums here populated by fanatics like the Commuting & Transport, you post a complaint about a particular train or bus journey, immediately one of the CIE fanboys poke a "hole" in your complaint, and then immediately another 20 CIE fanboys "thank" the original fanboy. So its pointless even going there.

Why?

So what if lots of people like a post that opposes yours? Stick to your guns. If you think you’re right, what does it matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Why?

So what if lots of people like a post that opposes yours? Stick to your guns. If you think you’re right, what does it matter?

I agree. It's character building to feast on the thanks of your opponents. Good for the soul. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Zorya wrote: »
    I agree. It's character building to feast on the thanks of your opponents. Good for the soul. :)

Its always good for a laugh when you see the same circke-jerk groupies all jumping in to a thanks together where someone makes a comment that offends their sensibilities lol. :pac:

Advertisement