Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Ireland have a drug problem or not?

Options
  • 01-02-2019 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Not another Ireland bashing thread but just curious. When I mean drugs, I mean anything besides alcohol and weed. Lots of gents/gals in my college (won't say where) would be taking coke, mdma, and some even strong opiates like hydro and oxy (though apparently not as common here in western europe as it is in the U.S.)

There body, there choice but there is a limit no? I don't think there's a worse problem here with drug abuse but maybe I'm wrong because the consensus seems to vary in different circles. Older folks with think anyone who snorts the white stuff is out of their mind and is going no where except on the streets whereas in circles of 25-40yr old businessmen in London and here, that's the norm x3 a week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Problem is there's not enough to go round

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's certainly talked about more than back in my day.. but whether that's just due to the ease of talking about it nowadays thanks to social media, I'm not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The biggest drug problem we have in this country and all over the world are the ones handed over the counter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

We have a serious cocaine problem, the quality just isn't there, its cut to bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

They cost double what do in other countries. A gram of top quality sniff can be had in Spain for €40 depending on your haggling skills (well my haggling skills) the same quality gram in Ireland costs 80-100 here unless yer buying weight, and even then it's still way overpriced compared to the rest of Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Yes of course there’s a drug problem. It’s blatantly obvious. I’d say about 70% of people in a pub at any time is on coke. Weed hash is no longer a massive issue. Coke is the main problem. MDMA is more s country thing. Ketamine is huge among younger groups. 18-25 year olds. Because it’s cheap as ****.
    Speaking from my past as someone that couldn’t go for s pint without cocaine it’s too easy to get and doesn’t take much persuasion to get some.
    So yes we do have s massive drug problem

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭corminators

Don't think I've ever even been offered drugs :/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

There body
    where body?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

Not even slightly. Heroin figures have steadily dropped and we have next to no use of crack in the country thank jaysus. As for Coke, its used but not on the 70% in a pub (ha!) some lad was saying above. Drugs are there but its not INCREDIBLY easy to get them. Only so much to go around once it finally reaches this part of Europe.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

All the youth of today are on drugs. Gone is the day of going out and drinking a dozen pints.
    It’s a dozen yolks now and coke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭worded

Wouldn’t be my scene but I heard a street report saying heroin was more difficult to get than crack cocaine and it’s cheaper at a tender a hit. The new VAT rate might push that to 11 euros with everyone rounding up.

Crack is now being found in dublin drug raids

We are on the brink of a Crack problem which should make for some interesting international headlines, the craic being mighty

At least with Heroin the users would be chilled and monged for a few hours. With Crack the users are full of energy and violent. That’s not good, unless it’s you about to rob a bank and you are looking for some Colombian courage

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Yes of course there’s a drug problem. It’s blatantly obvious. I’d say about 70% of people in a pub at any time is on coke. Weed hash is no longer a massive issue. Coke is the main problem. MDMA is more s country thing. Ketamine is huge among younger groups. 18-25 year olds. Because it’s cheap as ****.
    Speaking from my past as someone that couldn’t go for s pint without cocaine it’s too easy to get and doesn’t take much persuasion to get some.
    So yes we do have s massive drug problem
    I like a good crossword with my pint but each to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Wouldn't know where to even buy any.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,108 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

We have several.

1 - People have no idea what drugs are dangerous and what drugs aren't
    2 - People have no idea what drugs are addictive and what drugs aren't
    3 - People have no idea how what most of them do or how much should be used
    4 - We have drugs that people that depend on for their sense of well-being that are banned
    5 - There is no accurate and honest drug awareness programs for teenagers (or adults in some cases)

And that's just off the top of my head.
    If the phrase "Nanny State" can ever be applied accurately to any situation, it's Irish drug laws.
    When I mean drugs, I mean anything besides alcohol and weed

I know it's unlikely you'll answer this, OP, but I'll ask: why?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,563 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Shoelaces wrote: »
    Not even slightly. Heroin figures have steadily dropped and we have next to no use of crack in the country thank jaysus. As for Coke, its used but not on the 70% in a pub (ha!) some lad was saying above. Drugs are there but its not INCREDIBLY easy to get them. Only so much to go around once it finally reaches this part of Europe.

Not sure where you live but in Dublin there is a massive Cocaine problem , ITs every where young kids still in school doing it every weekend,

Hard to get you can't be serious ,
    If your on a GAA team or soccer team and over the age of 16 one text to the team's wats ap group and someone will know someone who is selling it, I don't think people realise how rampant it is ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

The drug problem in my home town is unbelievable, you'd get a bag of coke here easier than the city centre, every pub toilet cistern is coated in vaseline to try deter would be users.

Shoelaces wrote: »
    Not sure where you live but in Dublin there is a massive Cocaine problem , ITs every where young kids still in school doing it every weekend,

Hard to get you can't be serious ,
    If your on a GAA team or soccer team and over the age of 16 one text to the team's wats ap group and someone will know someone who is selling it, I don't think people realise how rampant it is ,

I see it's make-your-own-****-up day

I see it's make-your-own-stats-up day

How did I make stat's up ?
    I said its every where, there are kids at school doing it every weekend which there are ,
    I'm part of a number of sports clubs and there are teens 17/18 still not finished school at it,

I said its every where, there are kids at school doing it every weekend which there are ,
    I'm part of a number of sports clubs and there are teens 17/18 still not finished school at it,

Fair enough, changed it to "****" instead if "stats", but my point is your claim ias baseless.

The problem is, you think you're in a position to assume some 17/18 year olds in your association are taking drugs. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. I don't know. Safe to say you don't either (but if you do, how?) and you've used this to assume it happens "every where" and "every weekend" (which, stattitically, is highly unlikely to say the least) so you take this as fact and post it here.

Claim is bull****: how could you possible know what happens everywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Huge problem in rural Ireland with cocaine , travellers mostly selling it , young people with a few drinks been lured into it and hey presto they end up with a cocaine habit and the drug dealers watch the money rolling in as the young persons brain slowly but surely becomes fcuked up and they mess up their education and end up in a dead end job with mental health issues in their 30s ...
    Most towns and villages have no guards or else the guards are too busy bagging 70 year old women going to mass so the drug dealers are cleaning up and kicking the crap out of if not killing anyone that challenges them .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,209 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

where are 17/18 year olds getting the money for cocaine every weekend?

Fair enough, changed it to "****" instead if "stats", but my point is your claim ias baseless.

The problem is, you think you're in a position to assume some 17/18 year olds in your association are taking drugs. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. I don't know. Safe to say you don't either (but if you do, how?) and you've used this to assume it happens "every where" so you take this as fact and post it here.

Claim is bull****: how could you possible know what happens everywhere?

Take your head out of the sand ,

Its not a bull**** claim there are kids in almost every secondary school taking and selling coke , I went to what would be considered a well to do County Dublin school 20 years ago and it was happing only the odd few but it certainly happing ,

I'm involved in a number of sports teams and spend week nights out on training pitches with late teens and you hear them talk openly about it ,People really have no idea how prevalent it is ,

I'd say 90 % of there parents don't have a clue what going on ,

Look in paper every day young school going teens arrested for possession

Head shops are still legal up the north. There are plenty of people going north and buying a supply of legal highs and re-selling them in the south.

A local teacher told me there is one particular high called Purple Dragon I think, that some of the pupils in the school were taking. It has a similar effect as heroin where the person is zonked for the day, and it only cost €3 or €4 a hit.

where are 17/18 year olds getting the money for cocaine every weekend?

They work in local supermarkets , Bar's , restaurants
    Some have left school and got jobs at 16 ,

When where 18 it just didn't happen but be assured its the norm for kids in school now to know other's in there year at it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 40,209 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

When where 18 it just didn't happen but be assured its the norm for kids in school now to know other's in there year at it ,

well fair play to them if they can afford it on minimum wage jobs.

Take your head out of the sand ,

Its not a bull**** claim there are kids in almost every secondary school taking and selling coke , I went to what would be considered a well to do County Dublin school 20 years ago and it was happing only the odd few but it certainly happing ,

I'm involved in a number of sports teams and spend week nights out on training pitches with late teens and you hear them talk openly about it ,People really have no idea how prevalent it is ,

I'd say 90 % of there parents don't have a clue what going on ,

Look in paper every day young school going teens arrested for possession

I'm not saying none of them are, I'm saying that the idea that it's every weekend is bull****. I'm an adult living in Berlin in full time employment and I have problems sometimes. And that's before we get to the expense part. How is a random 17 year old going to obtain and afford it?! We're talking drugs here. They don't just use a little pocket money and nip down to the local off-license and casually asking someone to nip in and get it for them.

And they certainly are not so careless that they get overheard talking about it!! "Talking openly"...?! That's bull**** right there - and hilariously so!

Out of interest, do you have any idea how much a gram of cocaine would actually cost? Care to hazard a guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

I dont get,,, if the above is true about all them on cocaine etc and not actually drinking much whats the attraction over drink? Few beers and knakker drinking was good fun. relaxing chilled. Is cocaine not like running around like a looper chewing the jaw of yourself? not exactly my idea of a great weekend after a long stressful working week lol:confused:

• Advertisement

I dont get,,, if the above is true about all them on cocaine etc and not actually drinking much whats the attraction over drink? Few beers and knakker drinking was good fun. relaxing chilled. Is cocaine not like running around like a looper chewing the jaw of yourself? not exactly my idea of a great weekend after a long stressful working week lol:confused:

That's more ecstacy. Although similar, cocaine highs tend to be more intense, much shorter and without the jaw-clenching and MUCH more expensive.

Advertisement