Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Dassey's conviction overturned

13»

Comments

They most certainly can. But as of now, legally he's no longer a convict, and has no charges against him. As such; in the eyes of the law he's a free man, except he's not.

I agree with you but there's a process. In August the judge overturned his conviction and ordered him to be conditionally released in 90 days.

This week the state filed an emergency motion to prevent Dassey's release.

That motion was denied and yesterday the judge ordered that Dassey be released by 8pm tomorrow night.

In the eyes of the law, rightly or wrongly, he's not a free man until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

http://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2016/1117/832566-making-a-murderers-brendan-dassey-will-not-be-released/

Despite his conviction being overturned he has to remain in jail.

By the way I hate that the news is in the "entertainment" section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Jesus, having to remain in prison after your conviction was overturned must be salt in the wound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Jeeze, cant believe it, thats awful

Ah FFS, that's inhuman. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Birmingham 6 and Guilford 4 were on the streets minutes after their conviction was overturned. I suppose Wisconsin is different to the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Avery was wrongly convicted (innocent/guilty or not!) as there was insufficient/tainted evidence and more than reasonable doubt of his guilt .......... the fact that the Jury did not do their duty and found him guilty anyway does not change that fact.
    I'll say it again, he was not found guilty in a court of law beyond a reasonable doubt.

Both Avery and Dassey were convicted in a court of law of the same crime with the same "evidence" by the same prosecutor ......... you have decided that one was actually guilty whilst the other was completely innocent .......... that's the very definition of cherry-picking logic. :rolleyes:

If you at least thought they were both innocent/guilty then you would be demonstrating some form of logical consistency with your argument.

This is purely your opinion. An opinion based on a massively biased television show btw. The two men were tried separately with different charges, evidence and juries.

The fact is that Avery was found guilt. A fact that you seem to be in denial of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Beefy78 wrote: »
    This is purely your opinion.

Yes, of course it is, obviously ......... what else could it possibly be? :confused: In your opinion .......... ???
    An opinion based on a massively biased television show btw.

Not at all ........... my interest and research, though sparked by MAM, goes much much deeper.
    The two men were tried separately with different charges, evidence and juries.

The same crime though and, more importantly, by the same Prosecutor ........
    The fact is that Avery was found guilt. A fact that you seem to be in denial of.

Brendan was also found Guilty yet you believe him to be innocent ......... and it wasn't the first time Mr. Avery has been convicted of a crime he did not commit.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭andromeda76

Two years on, and a second season.How does everyone feel about these two men. Innocent or guilty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I've no doubt they are innocent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

mackeire wrote: »
    Just reading through this thread and realising that boards.ie has so many detectives, law experts and crime experts!

The documentary was basically told in a manner to make Avary and Dassey look innocent. It was biased beyond belief!!
    If there was another documentary called 'catching a murderer' and was told from the police and prosecutors perspective, it would tell a completely different story!

Don't believe everything that you see/read!!

It's coming. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 206 ✭✭JustAYoungLad

Two years on, and a second season.How does everyone feel about these two men. Innocent or guilty?

Dassey innocent. Avery guilty or complicit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Haven't seen season 2 but I am not sure about Avery, however I think the documentary, while certainly biased, was that way because that's how things naturally stacked up. The manner of evidence collection or lack thereof appeared very alarming. The prosecution was given plenty of opportunity to air its side, the Halbach family were also offered interviews but declined (apart from Teresa's brother).

None of the above means Steven is definitely innocent, but dirty tactics seemed very much to be deployed.

It didn't hide that Steven was no angel either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I don't know whether either is guilty or innocent. But, I believe Neither of them, but Dassey in particular, should be in prison based on the evidence used to convict them. I struggle to see how Dassey's confession can be considered sound and if that's their measure of a safe conviction then the justice system is seriously broken.

There also appears to be a lot of holes and inconsistencies in the evidence used to convict Avery.

I just don't know whether the police and state forces, for its own motives, tried to frame Avery, or whether they were absolutely certain he committed the crimes but were fearful of securing a conviction, so planted evidence etc. Either way it is very wrong.

After watching both parts of the McCabe story I have a very open mind as to what the authorities will go to a) protect themselves and b) secure a desired outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

A lot of people can say that Dassey innocent. Yet he was put himself in jail ultimately. He told them in detail how he participated in the murder. If he was trying to be funny I think he ll have stopped laughing by now. People say that he naive under questioning. That still does nt excuse him from the consequences of him 'fabricating' a story re how he participated in the murder. Was he deemed insane at time? I don't think so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 206 ✭✭JustAYoungLad

A lot of people can say that Dassey innocent. Yet he was put himself in jail ultimately. He told them in detail how he participated in the murder. If he was trying to be funny I think he ll have stopped laughing by now. People say that he naive under questioning. That still does nt excuse him from the consequences of him 'fabricating' a story re how he participated in the murder. Was he deemed insane at time? I don't think so

He’s sub 80 IQ. The confession he gave under coercion didnt even match the police’s reconstruction.

Even if he did have a hand, that confession seems void.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Just finished Season 2 yesterday. It's very drawn out compared to the first. Five episodes would have done them.

Do I think they're guilty, nope.
    I think Bobby Dassey did it with his mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Bobby’s internet history alone is enough to convince me he had at least the potential to commit such a crime. The biggest WTF moment for me was the coroner being prevented from doing her job and told she would be arrested if she arrived on the scene.
    Still not sure on Avery, but I do know that if he did kill her, it was not in the manner the prosecution suggests, and so for that alone he should not be in jail.
    Brendan was so intellectually stunted he would have admitted to 9/11 in that interview. My heart is actually bruised for him. I feel his legal counsel, although they had the best of intentions, let him down as they were remarkably out of their depth.
    Zellner impressed me the most. Nothing but admiration for that woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Haven't seen season 2 but I am not sure about Avery, however I think the documentary, while certainly biased, was that way because that's how things naturally stacked up. The manner of evidence collection or lack thereof appeared very alarming. The prosecution was given plenty of opportunity to air its side, the Halbach family were also offered interviews but declined (apart from Teresa's brother).

None of the above means Steven is definitely innocent, but dirty tactics seemed very much to be deployed.

It didn't hide that Steven was no angel either.

Downplayed stuff though. The cat incident was more disturbing than was portrayed in the documentary.

I didn’t watch the first series religiously so I won’t be getting into an in-depth discussion but my impression was that Dassey was innocent and that it was not beyond a reasonable doubt that Avery murdered Halbach. So neither should be behind bars, I guess. But like I said, I didn’t pay attention to it all the time whenever hubs was watching it and haven’t read much about it either (aside from the cat incident which was fleshed out a bit more wherever I read about it) so I’m no expert and even got bored whilst writing this post. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Whenever Brendan was asked if he had any weapons (from memory) on him and he said he had a CD I realised Brendan was ****ed.

Advertisement