Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to recommend abolishing DST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

ForestFire wrote: »
    It will not be dark until we reach the sunrise time.....

21st December 2019 with no DTS (Galway)

09:07 — civil twilight
    09:50 — sunrise

21st December 2019 with no DTS (Dublin)

08:56 — civil twilight
    09:39 — sunrise

On overcast mornings, civil twilight will still basically look like nighttime. And we get a lot of overcast days in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

What does all this achieve though other than to satisfy some notion that it's going to avoid adjusting the clocks?

I don't really see the major benefits, just a lot of potential annoying changes.

Most of our communications are probably text-based / sending documents based anyway due to email and other messaging services, we don't lift the phone as often as we used to in the 70s, 80s and 90s and doesn't necessarily have to happen in real time and things like financial transactions are processed largely automatically by computer networks.

The concept of thing being 'out of hours' has largely vanished.

I would still think our bigger issue is being able to communicate live more of the day with North American businesses due to how our economy's setup and that would actually benefit from GMT all year around as you go from 5 hours to the east coast to 4 hours when they're in Winter Time

If anything a move to year-round GMT would be another strong selling point for Ireland as an Atlantic bridge for FDI.

That’s highly unusual. You seem to have a very high holiday allowance.

Your high holiday allowance is confirmed here. Of course most people aren’t going to sacrifice mid winter holidays for summer time. People on the 21 days holidays aren’t going to use ten days midwinter to only have 2 weeks the rest of the year.

Not really that much higher than the norm, I’ve 25 days and get the 3 days or so between Christmas and New Years as well. I never use all my holidays though I’m always rolling over around 5 to 10 days into the following year so in reality I’m not really getting more holidays. I don’t have to waste days off for mundane stuff though as I can generally take half days without taking time off, work remotely if I need to be somewhere else etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Riskymove wrote: »
    we even had our own time zone different to UK......and survived
    We still have our own time zone.

Irish Standard Time is UTC +1

It’s just the same as British Summer Time though. Different only in name. Our clock changes completely align with those of the UK. What Riskymove is referring to is a time zone that didn’t align with the UK.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/dublin-lost-its-time-zone-and-25-minutes-after-1916-rising-1.1977411%3fmode=amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

indeed

as mentioned my point is that our timezone was different to London

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Try this. Tell all these people that sunrise will be 9:51am in early jan.

(The latest sunset is past Christmas).

I'm only ever in two places at that hour:
    1. have a lie-in during hols
    2. in a fluorescent-lit office

Ergo it does not matter a jot. Roll on nice winter evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Beast4mdaeast

Role on longer days in winter

Roll on longer days in winter
    yeah
    +one hour in the evening and - one hour in the morning = same length! :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Role on longer days in winter

Think you might be a tad confused there bud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Was almost dark today at 3pm.
    These dark evenings are a killer.

Has there been any update from the EU of when this will be abolished?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

That is in part down to the atrocious weather conditions. It doesn't get dark at 3pm in any part of the country at any stage of the year

I assume where you are is overcast and raining. Still an hour or so of usable daylight left today in my area.

Ireland COULD leave it at Winter time for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

That is in part down to the atrocious weather conditions. It doesn't get dark at 3pm in any part of the country at any stage of the year

Yeah overcast and raining. It's usually 4pm ish.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 13,818 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah manky, I'm already sick to death of winter darkness.

Yeah manky, I'm already sick to death of winter darkness.

Would you not give hibernation a go?

On an overcast, rainy day in winter in Ireland, it’s pretty much darkish all day. Changing to year-round summertime won’t change that. 3pm today was more than 1.5 hours before sunset.

Me personally, if it’s raining heavily, I’d rather total darkness so that I don’t have to look at the gloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,035 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

On an overcast, rainy day in winter in Ireland, it’s pretty much darkish all day. Changing to year-round summertime won’t change that. 3pm today was more than 1.5 hours before sunset.

Me personally, if it’s raining heavily, I’d rather total darkness so that I don’t have to look at the gloom.

This is where all year summertime is such a folly.
    There is no usable daylight in the evening on wet winter days.
    The opportunity to do all these things people who advocate all year summertime claim they will do will not exist, it will be too feckin wet and miserable, and dark, to do them.

And at the same time we will not even see a chink of any sort of daylight until at least 9.30am.

The opportunity to do all these things people who advocate all year summertime claim they will do will not exist, it will be too feckin wet and miserable, and dark, to do them.

And at the same time we will not even see a chink of any sort of daylight until at least 9.30am.

And what about a dry sunny winter day with clear skies at sunset such as we often get in this country? There would be opportunities to do all these things in those conditions if we were on all year round summertime.

• Advertisement

And as the majority of people have said who cares if it’s only bright at 9:30, what are you going to be doing on a dark wet winter morning the morning light is totally unusable for most.

If nothing else I’d rather be looking out the window now at a bit of light than pitch dark but the fact is you do get useable light in the afternoons and evenings even now if we didn’t change the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

You would see the benefit in February/March when people are starting to work on their gardens again and the extra hour of light in the evening would be appreciated. There's about six weeks in the middle of winter that are just awful- dreary and dull all day. We can't change that but five months of wintertime is unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Would you not give hibernation a go?

Brought it up with my employer and they just blanked me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I dunno why they can't split the difference.

I do agree. Sadly, if it’s put to the people, year-round summertime will win out but I don’t think it’s going to make as much of a difference as people think. Very little bright evening gained and incredibly dark mornings to deal with. There’s no escape from the short winter days, no matter how we try to finagle it. I think the current system is the best compromise.

And what about a dry sunny winter day with clear skies at sunset such as we often get in this country? There would be opportunities to do all these things in those conditions if we were on all year round summertime.

Often? :D It doesn’t rain as much as people think in this country but one thing is for certain: it is overcast much of the time, rain or no rain. Cold, clear winter days are lovely but we don’t get them often at all. And the clearer the winter’s day, the colder it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Would prefer if the clocks changed sooner in the new year . Agree it’s going to be crap either way for a few months , but we could change back sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It’s been explained to you numerous times that evening light is more useful to the vast majority of people than morning light.

The fact you haven’t managed to wrap your head around that and continue to make the same defunct point ad nauseam, isn’t anyone else’s issue at this stage.

It’s been explained to you numerous times that evening light is more useful to the vast majority of people than morning light.

The fact you haven’t managed to wrap your head around that and continue to make the same defunct point ad nauseam, isn’t anyone else’s issue at this stage.

It’s all just opinion though. There’s no “explaining”. People can disagree, you know. Some of us are dubious of the contention that people will make great use of the minimal evening light that would be gained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭prunudo

I forgot I was following this thread, a place where people with completely opposing views shout at each other to see whos view is right while belittling their opposite number.
    All year summertime is obviously a disaster, you evening light lovers need to deal with it, wintertime for the win :p

Advertisement