Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

House builds up 25%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

So many were built to rent though.

Hedge funds/ vulture funds getting in while the market is hot and big money to be made in rentals.

We should have policy and laws in place to stop the housing prices going out of control.

Near me a house which resembles a shed and is tiny went for over €500k another was just a 2 bed went for €545k and another got over €600k.....

Absolutely nuts as in they were once council houses too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/pme/populationandmigrationestimatesapril2018/

This is a game that cannot be won. No matter how many more houses they supposedly build, the number of people is increasing at an even greater pace. In other words, housing provision is falling further and further behind with each day (each minute, each second even!)

It will crash hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Who cares?

Peoole who need houses for themselves got them , why is there a priority for the disadvantaged over working people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Mad how we built and built and built to put a roof over the heads of everyone who wanted a home in the early to late part of the last century when we were a basket case of an economy

So many things were wrong back then but in fairness to the powers that be they got the basic stuff right

Mad how we built and built and built to put a roof over the heads of everyone who wanted a home in the early to late part of the last century when we were a basket case of an economy

So many things were wrong back then but in fairness to the powers that be they got the basic stuff right

You mean the Celtic tiger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You mean the Celtic tiger?

No the 1930's on

No the 1930's on

Did we have a 200 billion debt back then?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

The putrid smell of a Fine Gaeler in the OP is in the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭wyf437gn6btzue

So many were built to rent though.

Hedge funds/ vulture funds getting in while the market is hot and big money to be made in rentals.

We should have policy and laws in place to stop the housing prices going out of control.

Near me a house which resembles a shed and is tiny went for over €500k another was just a 2 bed went for €545k and another got over €600k.....

Absolutely nuts as in they were once council houses too.

The government have no business interfering with a free market

GAA Beo wrote: »

Nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

Who cares?

Peoole who need houses for themselves got them , why is there a priority for the disadvantaged over working people?

What does that mean? That anyone who needs a house for themselves got them already? Doesn't look that way if you see the long lines of people queuing to look at an apartment for rent. I am glad I am not in that position as must be soul destroying

GAA Beo wrote: »

The putrid smell of thick fcuker from your reply is in the air

Who cares?

Its numbers. They don't add up, and they are never going to add up. As the shortfall grows in magnitude, so does the fallout. Bear in mind this is a global phenomena in areas of employment (read: necessity)

I remember someone giving me a simple explanation for social welfare. If it wasn't there, and people were left with no money/food/housing, there would be social chaos as they fought/stole/murdered to survive. Social welfare is a valve for letting off pressure in society, for protecting society.

Housing is similar, in that the further it falls behind, and the more dramatic and negative that impact becomes, the more it will effect the entirety of society. Everyone. As someone else once told me, the hamptons is not a defensible position.

That said, I completely understand your point. But on the order of things, the "who" comes secondarily to the "how many". I think the fact of the matter is that there should be enough affordable, appropriate housing for everyone, and the government has completely failed, and the basic maths say they will continue to fail, and with greater failure, with each passing day.

Therefore, crash.

This. For instance, in the 10 years from 1932, during the Great Depression, Éamon de Valera's Fianna Fáil government built a staggering 132,000 houses for Irish people, in the process clearing enormous swathes of Dublin's ineffably awful slums.

Next time people fall into clichés of demonising de Valera, maybe they should open a history book to these enormous advances for the poorest in our then infinitely poorer society. Then they might understand why his government won over 50% of the popular vote (not merely of the parliamentary seats) in the 1938 general election, the first time a governing party in Europe ever did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Are you joking. The government is the biggest factor in interfering with the market. It's not a remotely free market.

The putrid smell of thick fcuker from your reply is in the air

More personal insults instead of any coherent discussion.

What’s left to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Housing stock is like unemployment numbers - a lagging indicator and one with loads of sub sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

I wonder how shoddy the new houses will end up being, I see new developments and they look like they're made entirely of plasterboard.

It will be that same free market that completely implodes and takes hundreds of thousands of people into life-long debt along with it, impacting even the prospects of their childrens future into the bargain. Again.

Its like this. If something is worth doing, do it right. Don't half-arse it.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

I dont know who will pay for all these houses as it’s all social housing. Paying a rent of €25 a week won’t pay for much.

• Advertisement

This. For instance, in the 10 years from 1932, during the Great Depression, Éamon de Valera's Fianna Fáil government built a staggering 132,000 houses for Irish people, in the process clearly enormous swathes of Dublin's ineffably awful slums.

Next time people fall into clichés of demonising de Valera, maybe they should open a history book to these enormous advances for the poorest in our then very poor society. Then they might understand why his government won over 50% of the popular vote (not merely of the parliamentary seats) in the 1938 general election, the first time a governing party in Europe ever did that.

How much would 132,000 social houses cost to build nowadays?

At a cost of 200,000 each let’s say.

I dont know who will pay for all these houses as it’s all social housing. Paying a rent of €25 a week won’t pay for much.

Not allowed say that around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Do they not have calculators on your internet?

It's about 27 billion euro, for the sake of the discussion.

Not allowed say that around here.

I was being very reasonable at €25. I know one tenant that pays €10 a week. She drives a 181 Skoda.

mikhail wrote: »

Great thanks.

Given we have about 1 billion a year to juggle with I suppose that makes sense.

I was being very reasonable at €25. I know one tenant that pays €10 a week. She drives a 181 Skoda.

69 million owed in rent arrears to DCC.

But let’s build more social housing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

What’s left to say.

Well prove him wrong with stating something that's not complete nonsense. Ignoring social housing, lack of hosing means pressure on prices and higher rents for those working. Then there is pressure for higher wages because of high cost of living. And you are celebrating pretty pathetic building numbers well bellow government targets.

What’s left to say.

Wasn`t quoting or replying to you......

The problem is the cost itself. As I say, the numbers don't add up, and they never will. Not until something fundamentally snaps.

Think of it like a cup of coffee in a café. How many multiples of cost is it compared to buying a jar of it yourself, or a coffee machine yourself?

Its ridiculous, its so far from realistic/expected value that it doesn't even make sense anymore.

And that's the inherent problem with this country (and a lot of others). Some people introduced craaaaazy prices for things, nobody complained, and before you know it, every other commodity caught up with those ridiculously over-the-odds prices.

How do you fix something so endemic? The answer is that you cant, the system will break.

The cost of building a house, buying a house, renting a house is out of control and its not going to stop until it crashes. There isn't a single thing that this government can do about it, nor any other party. If this were a bus careering out of control with no driver, varadkar is as useful as the guy in the back saying "it'll be grand, it'll be grand!" over and over again. No impact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The key to affordable housing is to stop building properties out of bricks and mortar in low density housing estates and go modular in the inner cities - brown field sites abound. The atomising of society means the 3/4 semi-d is not needed much - it's the step up/step down 1/2 beds that we need desperately. Unfortunately the Irish psyche just refuses to accept the concept.

Could Dermott Bannon deliver budget friendly social housing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Could Dermott Bannon deliver budget friendly social housing?

At the speed he works :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

I see what you did there, let the houses only be affordable for the rich while the vast majority(who work) struggle to afford a roof over their heads, typical FFG.

The key to affordable housing is to stop building properties out of bricks and mortar in low density housing estates and go modular in the inner cities - brown field sites abound. The atomising of society means the 3/4 semi-d is not needed much - it's the step up/step down 1/2 beds that we need desperately. Unfortunately the Irish psyche just refuses to accept the concept.

If this were a perfectly functioning system, and the suggestion of "different" housing was proposed, you could take it seriously on its merits.

However it is a utterly malfunctional system, and any proposal that attempts to adapt to that malfunctioning system through a lowering of standards is highly questionable.

If we just stopped accepting the abnormal as normal, we might actually get to the root of the problem.

As it is, we don't even know what the question is, nevermind the answer.

Or a funnier way to look at it is long, long term. The population of the planet becomes 5000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 trillion, and every square inch of space is taken up standing shoulder to shoulder.

Is the solution for us to build colonies on the moon and do the same there, ad infinitum? Or is the actual problem like the nose on your face? People are avoiding the hard questions, but they cant run forever.

Also, F%%K living in tinier and tinier shoeboxes, hoping my children might be able to afford one at least half that size again. No. Just no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

We are back to the heady days of the celtic tiger. Anyone see a plumber fecking their change in the bin after buying a breakfast roll or some spoilt little 18 year old twit driving a brand new range rover yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The atomising of society is not a good thing and shouldnt be encouraged

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

mikhail wrote: »

27 billion a year.

No problems. That’s on top of the 20 billion we spend on social welfare, the free 3rd level education, the pay increases for public sector workers, other infrastructure projects, tackling the upcoming pension deficit crisis and a myriad of other very very costly things the State is expected to find funding for.

Leftie financial gurus confuse me. It’s like they don’t actually understand simple arithmetic. They seem to think there’s an infinite money supply that grows on trees, and because certain things happened in the past then it should still be possible today. They then have the temerity to pontificate on matters such as social housing to the poor lads and lassies who would have to pay even more of their income in tax and who see very little for it.

We are back to the heady days of the celtic tiger. Anyone see a plumber fecking their change in the bin after buying a breakfast roll or some spoilt little 18 year old twit driving a brand new range rover yet?

I have seen a few crew cab pick up without any hitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

How man people are wondering "where's my free house? I'm entitled to one" these days?

Advertisement