Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

a tired old question

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Old Rudge

:eek:
    I'm not going to be travelling at 120km/h in the wet on my bikes so I'm less fussed about brands.

You might if putting down power on a wet road in winter with the cycling equivalent of Landsail or evergreen under you.

Most lbs I've been in only stock the cycling equivalent of bridgstone etc or Michelin, Continental, vredstein etc who do both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

And what do you bring to cut them?
    I don't mean for putting on tyres but for other uses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I don't mean for putting on tyres but for other uses.

I’m intrigued and maybe I should carry some. What uses you have found for them?

Most uses have been for others but I have used them to secure mudguards when the bracket has broken, ditto with lights, and to get home when the freewheel has called it a day.

EDIT: and to secure a loose bottle cage to the frame when the bolt threads no longer grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I have some in my saddlebag but have never used one out on the road. I've used them to fit and fix clip on mudguards, and secure a cadence sensor. I'll have to google how to fix a freewheel with one though

... I'll have to google how to fix a freewheel with one though
    Using plenty of cable ties, bind the largest sprocket to the end of the spokes beside it. Pedal very gently and don't use the top couple of sprockets.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Also for others, once to secure a broken spoke for a lad outside Bunclody, another occasion used three of them to hold a saddle in place for a chap with a broken saddle bolt. On the old bike I had a bag with cable ties, a couple of spare spokes for my own wheels, and a couple of bolts in waterproof bag stored in the seat post. Probably more paranoia than anything else, but I used to have a regular spin from South Wexford back to Dublin where I wouldn't meet a soul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Using plenty of cable ties, bind the largest sprocket to the end of the spokes beside it. Pedal very gently and don't use the top couple of sprockets.

Thanks. Saved me a job, and reminded me to put more than 3 in my bag!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it sounds that the best answer to my original question, is a tyre made entirely from cable ties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cheers, i have a pair of marathon plus i bought off weepsie, with a bit of use on them. i've not tried them yet, partly because i hear they're beasts to get on.

I thought you were one of the people who recommended to go with Marathon Plus about two years ago?.

About two years ago I just got sick and tired of punctures I was on a few different tyres including Gator Skins (which I had no confidence in at all after a few slides, I ride through Dublin city center twice daily, roughly (depending on the route) 20km x2.

Changed over to the Marathon Plus because of recommendations here and haven't looked back, I love them.

They're grippy,and tough as hell. Not a single puncture in two years (luck will have it I'll get a puncture Monday morning now) and they're hardly showing signs of wear.

I had them put on in 360 in Clontarf and since I haven't had a puncture yet I can't comment on how difficult they are to fit. But if you have the same success I've had with mine you'll only have to do it once per the life of the tyre.

For leisure/commuting I wouldn't use another tyre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I thought you were one of the people who recommended to go with Marathon Plus about two years ago?.
    i suspect not, i've never ridden a bike with them on.

Never on a Dublin Bike?

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Have conti 4 seasons on the "good" bike for the winter.

On the winter/ commuter I'm using, and am impressed by so far, Vittoria Randonnuer Pro II.

Previously I've used marathon plus on the commuter. There's a knack to getting them on, but it's the awful ride quality that would have me only put them on if it was only for commuting. They suck the fun out if weekend rides.

i go to the tyre place with the car - what tyres do i want?
    maybe i jinxed myself, but i just had to go to the car tyre place to get a puncture repaired. yer man told me i need to replace the tyres, which i knew - i was half expecting to suck it up and just buy new tyres if there were any further complications.

i would be tempted to ask 'any chance on throwing in two GP5000s cheap with two contiecos', but i suspect they'd look at me as if i had two heads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭JMcL

+1 for Conti 4 Seasons - use them year round and very few punctures that weren't down to me being lazy/pushing it - though I did get a slice from something that needed a boot recently. I used to have a set of Armadillos and while I'd say they were bulletproof, I wasn't a fan of the ride quality - found them very sluggish compared to the 4 Seasons

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd been wondering who I sold them too. MY pair have had 1 puncture and that was due to a massive shard of shard of glass. They've done 3-4 years and probably only about half way done, but for the big huge nick in the tyre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

No bother, thought it was you.

I have Gator skins on my road bike, and the Marathon's on my commuter and wouldn't use anything else for commuting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,288 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I had a set of Durano Plus and must have just been unlucky as I got several punctures with them. Didn't see any obvious cuts or glass, must have been a tiny cut pinching the tube or something.

Switched back to the Marathon Plus but now I'm tempted to change to the Durano Plus again, a 370g weight saving would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

The main problem with them is that when you get one part on, another comes off but it's easily done if you use cable ties. After you get each section on the rim, secure to to the wheel with the cable tie. When all of the tyre is on, cut the ties.

(I fully realise that it's completely different at the side of the road but hopefully they won't puncture. They are easier to work with when they get a bit of use.)
    -1 to Schwalbe Marathon plus. :D

They weren't too bad i suppose, i took your advice, getting the last bit on was the devil alright. Once the tyres were held in place with the ties it was less hard.

They have a nice reflective trim on them. Noticed it this morning on the commute in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I had a set of Durano Plus and must have just been unlucky as I got several punctures with them. Didn't see any obvious cuts or glass, must have been a tiny cut pinching the tube or something.

Switched back to the Marathon Plus but now I'm tempted to change to the Durano Plus again, a 370g weight saving would be nice.

I had the same issue with them, tried once, never again, loads of punctures, and shredded in a few weeks of commuting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

anyone using tubeless? any recommendations for a cost effective tyre

28 to 33mm

i vote that this should become the new standardised testing method for bicycle tyre toughness.

https://twitter.com/DonkeySanctuary/status/1097436231091261442

probably need to swap the tyres on my genesis out soon
    the proof was in the pudding today, got a slow puncture in ardcath taking a different route to normal (to avoid that bastard dog just north of the town); but what was interesting to see was that despite there still being a little wear left according to the wear indicators, it was nigh on impossible to tell exactly where the puncture was, as the air escaping was leaking out from the tyre in about six different places. obviously there's enough cracks and nicks in the tyre carcass that there's more than one escape point for the air, so that's that set of tyres binned now.
    thankfully i got myself sorted for replacement tyres courtesy of cram a week or two back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭C3PO

CramCycle wrote: »
    I had the same issue with them, tried once, never again, loads of punctures, and shredded in a few weeks of commuting.

I'm not being smart but are you sure it was Durano+ rather than standard Durano's? It's just that I've been using them for commuting for approx. 4 years now (25k kms+) and find them bulletproof!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

C3PO wrote: »
    I'm not being smart but are you sure it was Durano+ rather than standard Durano's? It's just that I've been using them for commuting for approx. 4 years now (25k kms+) and find them bulletproof!

I don't think they were Durano at all, I was talking about the Schwalbe One clinchers, sorry for the confusion. I have had Duranos before but remember nothing about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭C3PO

CramCycle wrote:
    I don't think they were Durano at all, I was talking about the Schwalbe One clinchers, sorry for the confusion.

I tried the Schwalbe One's too .... lasted one spin!!

Advertisement