Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a tired old question

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Are they really a bastard to put on? .....
    The main problem with them is that when you get one part on, another comes off but it's easily done if you use cable ties. After you get each section on the rim, secure to to the wheel with the cable tie. When all of the tyre is on, cut the ties.

(I fully realise that it's completely different at the side of the road but hopefully they won't puncture. They are easier to work with when they get a bit of use.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

The main problem with them is that when you get one part on, another comes off but it's easily done if you use cable ties. After you get each section on the rim, secure to to the wheel with the cable tie. When all of the tyre is on, cut the ties.

(I fully realise that it's completely different at the side of the road but hopefully they won't puncture. They are easier to work with when they get a bit of use.)

Thanks a million. That's solid advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭C3PO

Another vote for Schwalbe Durano Plus - I'm averaging a puncture about every 10,000kms on them.

Durano Plus for commuting but wouldn't fancy them for weekend spins - Conti 4 seasons or GPs's for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

For my "winter"/training bike I use GP 4 Seasons 25mm all year round. Good grip, they roll well, and I've had about 3 punctures in over the many years I've been using them (two of which were because I was pushing my luck way too far - got a hole in one tyre from something sharp and I continued to use it with a tyre boot until that wore out and the tube bubbled out, and being a particularly bright sort, I used another tyre boot and left it like that until, surprisingly, it happened again...).

I use latex tubes in them, which I perceive as helping with all of grip, roll, and puncture resistance.

For my (hated) commute bike/tank I've been using fairly cheap non-folding Continental Contact II tyres in 32mm for several years. I possibly used them in 28mm at some stage too, I can't remember for sure now. Anyway, I find these perfectly fine for that purpose. I use butyl tubes in those as I can't be arsed pumping them up each day. Pretty good puncture resistance with these tyres too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I've Durano Plus on the winter/commuter bike. Not had one puncture in over a year now (until now...).

Had 2 punctures in the times I was on Contis, and prefer their feel, but don't have enough wheels to swap them out for non commuting spins. Maybe they're the reason I'm slower these days on group spins??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Aegir wrote: »
    Is there any chance a poll could be put up?
    one limitation in mod powers appears to be not being able to add a poll to a thread after the fact (or removing a poll either).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was in duff cycles earlier - a brief chat with one of the sales guys (he was assisting another customer too) but he highly recommended durano DD tyres.
    curiously, on the schwalbe site, their own spiel says this: "Due to its high level of protection and good riding characteristics, Durano DD is our recommendation for use on E-Race bikes."

one limitation in mod powers appears to be not being able to add a poll to a thread after the fact (or removing a poll either).
    It's difficult to judge a tyre on a poll anyway as priorities differ between us - grip, puncture resistance, rolling resistance, comfort, price etc. No tyre will satisfy each criterion.

I'd be the first to agree that GP4000's have good grip, roll beautifully and are very comfortable but they are expensive and in my experience, about as puncture resistant as a baloon.

BTW - a club mate recommended these to me recently - WTB Thickslick. He said they have the puncture resistance of Durano Plus with more comfort.

Anyone have any experience of them?

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/wtb-thickslick-comp-tyre/rp-prod151676

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

I'll go with the durano plus as well. One puncture in about 3 years using them and that was from a piece of glass. Grippy enough and roll nice enough as well. On a Genesis as well if that sells them to you

• Advertisement

i go to the tyre place with the car - what tyres do i want? 'well we've the cheapo ones for €70 a corner or the expensive ones for €85 a corner' and you go for the expensive ones cos well, tyres are important. but you pay no heed to the brand, could be anything.

but with bike tyres, there's a stupid paradox of choice.

.... but you pay no heed to the brand, could be anything.

but with bike tyres, there's a stupid paradox of choice.
    :eek:

I always ask what brands they stock first in my car's size and then decide. Price wouldn't be a huge factor especially if it's only a few €uro difference between them. I'd never use those 'unknown' brands that the tyre sellers seem keen to push towards the customer.

I'm not going to be travelling at 120km/h in the wet on my bikes so I'm less fussed about brands.

probably phrased that badly. i always go for the more expensive option, but know little enough about car tyres that if you said it was bridgestone or continental, my reaction would be 'fine, just put the better tyres on'.

... my reaction would be 'fine, just put the better tyres on'.
    ....and the tyre fitter will probably choose the ones with the better mark up. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ED E wrote: »
    Armadillos
    https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Specialized/All-Condition-Armadillo-Elite-Road-Clincher-Tyre-700c/3EJN

They trade a little comfort for huge protection and grip is on par with the new 5000s (which are very good).

+1 on the armadillos, great commuter tyre , good grip, decent puncture protection but the comfort is only slightly less than some expensive race tyres

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I use two levers when trying to get that last really awkward bit on but do often end up with tyre levers flying through the air. Must try the cable ties thing next time. Funny enough, I always used to bring a handful of small cable ties with me for long solo commutes as they can end up being a kludge fix for many minor mechanicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭C3PO

I'm not going to be travelling at 120km/h in the wet on my bikes so I'm less fussed about brands.

No, but you could easily be travelling at 60km/hr on two wheels with a relatively tiny tyre contact area in the same wet .... I know which situation I'd be most concerned about tyre efficiency!

smacl wrote: »
    ... I always used to bring a handful of small cable ties with me for long solo commutes as they can end up being a kludge fix for many minor mechanicals.
    Same here - I store them inside the handle bars.

C3PO wrote: »
    No, but you could easily be travelling at 60km/hr on two wheels with a relatively tiny tyre contact area in the same wet .... I know which situation I'd be most concerned about tyre efficiency!
    Point taken although bike is not going to aquaplane.

Same here - I store them inside the handle bars.

And what do you bring to cut them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Old Rudge

:eek:

You might if putting down power on a wet road in winter with the cycling equivalent of Landsail or evergreen under you.

Most lbs I've been in only stock the cycling equivalent of bridgstone etc or Michelin, Continental, vredstein etc who do both

And what do you bring to cut them?
    I don't mean for putting on tyres but for other uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I don't mean for putting on tyres but for other uses.

I’m intrigued and maybe I should carry some. What uses you have found for them?

Most uses have been for others but I have used them to secure mudguards when the bracket has broken, ditto with lights, and to get home when the freewheel has called it a day.

EDIT: and to secure a loose bottle cage to the frame when the bolt threads no longer grip.

I have some in my saddlebag but have never used one out on the road. I've used them to fit and fix clip on mudguards, and secure a cadence sensor. I'll have to google how to fix a freewheel with one though

... I'll have to google how to fix a freewheel with one though
    Using plenty of cable ties, bind the largest sprocket to the end of the spokes beside it. Pedal very gently and don't use the top couple of sprockets.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Also for others, once to secure a broken spoke for a lad outside Bunclody, another occasion used three of them to hold a saddle in place for a chap with a broken saddle bolt. On the old bike I had a bag with cable ties, a couple of spare spokes for my own wheels, and a couple of bolts in waterproof bag stored in the seat post. Probably more paranoia than anything else, but I used to have a regular spin from South Wexford back to Dublin where I wouldn't meet a soul.

Using plenty of cable ties, bind the largest sprocket to the end of the spokes beside it. Pedal very gently and don't use the top couple of sprockets.

Thanks. Saved me a job, and reminded me to put more than 3 in my bag!

it sounds that the best answer to my original question, is a tyre made entirely from cable ties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cheers, i have a pair of marathon plus i bought off weepsie, with a bit of use on them. i've not tried them yet, partly because i hear they're beasts to get on.

I thought you were one of the people who recommended to go with Marathon Plus about two years ago?.

About two years ago I just got sick and tired of punctures I was on a few different tyres including Gator Skins (which I had no confidence in at all after a few slides, I ride through Dublin city center twice daily, roughly (depending on the route) 20km x2.

Changed over to the Marathon Plus because of recommendations here and haven't looked back, I love them.

They're grippy,and tough as hell. Not a single puncture in two years (luck will have it I'll get a puncture Monday morning now) and they're hardly showing signs of wear.

I had them put on in 360 in Clontarf and since I haven't had a puncture yet I can't comment on how difficult they are to fit. But if you have the same success I've had with mine you'll only have to do it once per the life of the tyre.

For leisure/commuting I wouldn't use another tyre.

Advertisement