Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Bowl LIII - Rams v Patriots

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I don't think troyzer had any intention other than trying to wind people up.
    By all accounts Brady is an absolute class act off the field and on. I don't thinkj any former team-mate of his have had anything negative to say about the guy.
    Even James Harrison - Patriot legend - said when he first got to Foxborough he really wanted to hate Tom, but he couldn't, because he was such an exceptional team-mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

I'll throw a vote to the Rams, I just think they are overall top to bottom a better, more consistent team over the year, and while their offense has slowed down somewhat, their defense has picked up the slack. I do wonder if Gurley truly was benched or is there something more to that, obviously he would be a big part of any game plan. They should have the ability to collapse the pocket with their interior rush (although the Patriots line has played lights out in pass protection recently) and if they can get Brady on the move or just uncomfortable in the pocket, his game seems to fall off a cliff somewhat, it's not what he does best certainly.

The Patriots have always turned up in the big game, and have a huge edge in experience etc, but as the Eagles showed last year, this does not always count for anything on the day. I'll take the Rams to avenge the '02 game, 28 - 24 (wow, was that 17 years ago, that can't be right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

My concern for the Patriots would be that it's oft-touted that the best way to throw Brady off is by pressure up the middle - even more-so than from the edge. That's why a Chargers matchup against Bosa and Ingram was probably more favourable in the Divisional Round than a Ravens matchup against Williams and Pierce.

Can't think of a better duo at inside pressure than Donald and Suh to throw Brady off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

RMAOK wrote: »
    Would that loss (if it happens) drive him to keep going to win his sixth title?

Patriots to win.

What if he wins and goes I'm still good enough I want 7

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Another Tom Brady being a dick to his team mates video

I particular like Edelmans comments. "Thats why I play, I wants to make you the best, I dont care.."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

What if he wins and goes I'm still good enough I want 7
    I think he will continue, win or lose.
    Another loss would hurt again, but he just loves to win games.
    When you retire, that’s generally it. Might as well keep going if you love it. Romo seems to have that same passion, and brings it to the commentary box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

If people knew every players' political leanings, there'd be a lot of people without a team to follow if people are disliking Brady because he supports Trump.

Romo's been great to listen to.

Long may it continue

He had the best playoff appearance of his career on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

If people knew every players' political leanings, there'd be a lot of people without a team to follow if people are disliking Brady because he supports Trump.

As much as i dislike Brady and can't wait to see the back of him, it would be nigh on impossible to like any player if you were to go into their politics.

Sure the great Peyton Manning is a raging republican. Doesn't stop me continuing to be in awe of him as a player. (Probably best to ignore the drugs too I guess when it comes to the NFL)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Many (particularly white) NFL players are Republicans - many white NFL players are Trump supporters. Its hardly surprising - they are benefiting significantly from the tax cuts for the rich implemented by Trump. You can dislike it - but it is not going to change.

The one thing I do have a problem with is players being victimised for opposing racism - and I also have a problem with a NFL player if they behaved like a racist scumbag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Many (particularly white) NFL players are Republicans - many white NFL players are Trump supporters. Its hardly surprising - they are benefiting significantly from the tax cuts for the rich implemented by Trump. You can dislike it - but it is not going to change.

The one thing I do have a problem with is players being victimised for opposing racism - and I also have a problem with a NFL player if they behaved like a racist scumbag

That may be true but what has that got to do with the Super Bowl this year ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That may be true but what has that got to do with the Super Bowl this year ?

One of the early posts in this thread was about someone saying one of the reasons they disliked Brady was because he was a Trump supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

People hating on Brady like they know him, lolzers :)

All the ex Pats players and many opposing player say he is a great guy. Harrison went there last year wanting to hate him, told Brady as much to his face, but couldnt ... Tom is a great dude.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Another warning to keep things Civil, especially on this thread

Lolzers is just my tongue n cheek take on people using lol -- I wasnt calling people losers. Brady wouldnt condone calling people names, so I dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I know the world has written off those plucky underdog Patriots but at this point I’ll have to stick my neck out and pick them to win. I was 0-2 last week so what do I know.

The Rams held their own against two good run games in the playoffs so the Patriots may not push them around like the Chargers and Chiefs. A huge matchup will be the interior of the Patriots OL vs Donald and Suh. It has been a strength of the Patriots but that pair can cause anyone difficulties. Even if they do Brady is getting the ball out incredibly quickly so it might not even matter.

If the Rams can stop the run and interrupt the quick short passes that Brady has been living on then they have a chance but with the quality of HC and QB, along with general team experience, all heavily in favour of the Patriots you have to go with them.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I know the world has written off those plucky underdog Patriots but at this point I’ll have to stick my neck out and pick them to win. I was 0-2 last week so what do I know.

The Rams held their own against two good run games in the playoffs so the Patriots may not push them around like the Chargers and Chiefs. A huge matchup will be the interior of the Patriots OL vs Donald and Suh. It has been a strength of the Patriots but that pair can cause anyone difficulties. Even if they do Brady is getting the ball out incredibly quickly so it might not even matter.

If the Rams can stop the run and interrupt the quick short passes that Brady has been living on then they have a chance but with the quality of HC and QB, along with general team experience, all heavily in favour of the Patriots you have to go with them.

I was 2-0 last week. 3 from 4 the week before --- I'm not gloating just telling you how it is. I wont be able to fully predict this one until two days before - I get a tingle in my elbow 48 hours before a game - left Elbow for home town win, right elbow for road team.

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    I was 2-0 last week. 3 from 4 the week before --- I'm not gloating just telling you how it is. I wont be able to fully predict this one until two days before - I get a tingle in my elbow 48 hours before a game - left Elbow for home town win, right elbow for road team.

Lolzers! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭cosatron

how the patriots o-line deal with Donald-suh- brooker will determine the outcome of the game. I think the patriots haven't faced a dline like this with pressure coming from the interior. If suh and Donald get a push up the middle and brady has to move around the pocket, it will throw off allot of there timing routes. In all fariness brady has had an armchair ride the last 2 games.

cosatron wrote: »
    how the patriots o-line deal with Donald-suh- brooker will determine the outcome of the game. I think the patriots haven't faced a dline like this with pressure coming from the interior. If suh and Donald get a push up the middle and brady has to move around the pocket, it will throw off allot of there timing routes. In all fariness brady has had an armchair ride the last 2 games.

he has indeed, against the team with the most sacks in the regular season and against the other team who had recorded 7 sacks in the wild card round. the Patriots have a great record this year with sacks given up, only the Saints and Colts recording less than them. The O line has been excellent, and with Dwayne Allen and Gronk sacrificing his own receiving game to help, they have shown this form through the year and into playoffs. If they keep that into this game, it will be a huge factor. I cant see them keeping Brady as clean again, but if they do come with a heavy pass rush, I expect a similar gameplan to the Seattle bowl a few years back with a load of flat passes to White (Vereen with 11 catches in that game, Edelman with 9). Brady has been around long enough to cope with change ups in a game and he showed it at the weekend on the last couple of drives changing the emphasis and length of passes.

The Rams secondary is very good though and they have a similar burst offence, so they can score quickly and get back into the game. Patriots need to play similar against the Chiefs, much easier said than done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,829 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

cosatron wrote: »

The Pats could do worse than watch the Bears game against the Rams, where Donald was kept mostly very quiet all day. I remember dreading that because both our guards that day were uncertain: James Daniels, a rookies, and Bryan Wintzman, a backup for Kyle Long who got absolutely roasted the week before.

Reading up on it, because Donald can line up either side, those two guards faced him a lot, but rather than doubling up with the centre most of the time, they actually blocked him one-on-one in nearly half of snaps (33 out of 71), precisely because he thrives on splitting double blocks on the interior (which he did do on one double, splitting Whitehair, the centre, and Daniels). The OL coach instead kept faith with his guys to do their job on their own. It was Donald's quietest game of the year, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

bruschi wrote: »
    The O line has been excellent, and with Dwayne Allen and Gronk sacrificing his own receiving game to help, they have shown this form through the year and into playoffs.
    They have been really good, but I'd also credit Brady for getting the ball out so quick, he's been spot on with so many throws, and it's helped the OL. But further credit to the OL, they have opened holes for the RBs really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭cosatron

The Pats could do worse than watch the Bears game against the Rams, where Donald was kept mostly very quiet all day. I remember dreading that because both our guards that day were uncertain: James Daniels, a rookies, and Bryan Wintzman, a backup for Kyle Long who got absolutely roasted the week before.

Reading up on it, because Donald can line up either side, those two guards faced him a lot, but rather than doubling up with the centre most of the time, they actually blocked him one-on-one in nearly half of snaps (33 out of 71), precisely because he thrives on splitting double blocks on the interior (which he did do on one double, splitting Whitehair, the centre, and Daniels). The OL coach instead kept faith with his guys to do their job on their own. It was Donald's quietest game of the year, I think.
    The play that sticks out for me was Brees second int, when Fowler got a 1 on 1 with a guard or centre and got a hand on Brees throwing arm and Brees had no follow through. I think these types of plays will hurt Brady as he throws allot over the middle. Another impressive feature of the Pat's has being gronks blocking. So I think the rams would be stupid to bring pressure from the edge moreso than up the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Can't see anyone but NE winning this and winning it well.
    NE have been up against top DLines during the postseason and schemed them out of the game to the point I don't think Brady was sacked in the postseason at all.

The rams are lucky to get this far, they have the worst QB of the 4 in the championship games.

As a football fan I'd have liked to see a Brady Brees shootout, but as a pats fan I'm delighted we're against the rams. I'm hoping for 2 things, a NE win and for neither TB12 or Belichick to retire afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,157 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Brady has successfully dealt with all sorts of things during his career, but all the same the Rams will want Donald and Suh getting pressure in the middle of the pocket and testing that he can still adjust on the fly and throw on the move at 41. The Chargers and Chiefs completely failed to make it uncomfortable for him. The Pats enjoyed a TOP in both games of 82:19 / 42:33. That means they are working their primary game plan, keeping their defense fresh on the sideline. It should be impossible to compete in such circumstances, and the the Chiefs deserve a lot of credit for making it as hard as they did when only having the ball for 20 minutes.

The Rams need to get a push on the interior of that line and disrupt Brady and the running game. They need to stop the Patriots forming long drives and force their D out onto the field more. If they fail to do that, then the rest is window dressing imo. The Chiefs had allowed a situation to form where they needed bombs from Mahomes and specific schematic adjustments in the second half to make it a horse race. If the Rams put themselves in the same situation they've already lost.

In that way, we'll know very early on which way the game is trending. If they achieve that push and force a couple of 3 and outs early then we have a fascinating game. Brady and Bill have shown across the last two superbowls that they can go to plans B, C and beyond to keep making things happen. But if plan A is working, they'll be winning.

Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PhuckHugh2

Hopefully Donald/Suh will test Brady's Old Man knees and test them early.

PhuckHugh2 wrote: »
    Hopefully Donald/Suh will test Brady's Old Man knees and test them early.

:eek:

WTF? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

During regular season the Rams (13-3; 81.3%) out performed the Pats (11-5; 68.8%), but these are descriptive statistics and not inferential. There are other factors to consider that occurred during regular season and playoffs between the two teams that are hard to measure. Like hghly veteran QB vs. relatively new QB; season schedule; etc., etc. There is also luck (chance) that limits our ability to guess what may happen; e.g., several missed calls; the OT deflection of Saints offensive pass that landed on a Ram's defender stomach while he received it on his back, etc., etc. How do you factor and measure luck?

It's fun guess and predict what will happen during the Super Bowl, but methinks that no one will know until the clock runs out (or the OT score if this extraordinary event occurs again after 2 playoff OT games).

And just for fun I am guessing Rams by 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭markc91

Gonna be in NYC next sunday with the OH for the Superbowl, anyone been there before while its on and can recommend a good bar to watch it in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

markc91 wrote: »
    Gonna be in NYC next sunday with the OH for the Superbowl, anyone been there before while its on and can recommend a good bar to watch it in?
    You'll more than likely need to look at getting a ticket this week to a bar that is having a party. You could spend a lot of time going from bar to bar trying to get it which will be a pain and doubt your OH would appreciate.

Advertisement