Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Kiith wrote: »
    The only arrested her after the US extradition request, didn't they? If not, why did Canada arrest her in the first place?

Correct, its a huge issue and the market is going to tank again today like Tuesday because of it

I think Trumps ego loves the fact he can move the markets with just one tweet but Wall Street wont tolerate this volatility for long (although a lot of money can be made day trading it)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,078 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

For me, I reckon he is toast... and soon. (My previous estimate of Christmas is proving to be a little optimistic.. despite all logic pointing to him being impeached/resigning)

It's worth looking at the current state of play. This is from memory - I'm sure I've missed something.

Anyhoo, it is only a matter of time before

*Donny Jnr is indicted
    *Stone is subpoenaed
    *Collusion report is released to Dem House

The Obstruction report will be later, but even more clear and damning in my opinion

We already have
    *Cohen cooperating
    *McGhan cooperating
    *Flynn cooperating
    *Gates cooperating
    *Weisselberg cooperating
    *David Pecker cooperating

that we know of

We have the following cases against Trump
    *Stormy Daniels
    *Summer Zervos
    *Emoluments clause cases

We know, thanks to the Flynn memo, there are two other criminal matters in which he is cooperating which may or may not be relating to Trump.

His AG is in trouble, in that there are cases brought against his legitimacy, and despite his appointment, it looks like he is not protecting Trump or shutting down the investigation, which was the only reason for his appointment.

We were told that his finances were a read line, yet we know
    *The emoluments case will lead to their release
    *The dems will be seeking his tax returns come January

We have
    * a spiralling deficit
    * record breaking gains by Dems in the House
    * indications that Manafort's JDA has backfired on Trump and his answers may now be contrary to what others have said
    * one of the most successful and efficient run Special Counsel's investigation in history

We have/will have
    *investigations into Trump's financial ties with Russia
    *investigations into Trump's financial ties with Turkey
    *investigations into Trump's financial ties with Saudi Arabia

We will have
    *Manafort's memo released soon which will release as much info to the public as Mueller wants to
    *Comey's evidence released soon

Again - that's what we know of and we are at least six months behind Mueller.

I can see a situation where Trump might get to 2020, but the idea that he will get to go again to me seems beyond impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I don't think anything will happen to Don Jr until Don Snr is no longer President, otherwise he'll just issue a pardon.

Pelvis wrote: »
    I don't think anything will happen to Don Jr until Don Snr is no longer President, otherwise he'll just issue a pardon.

If he issues a pardon in respect of an indictment for lying to congress, then Donny Jnr cannot plead the 5th and will be called in to give evidence again.

Plus, pardons only cover federal crimes. Any state crimes cannot be pardoned. That may apply to Trump Inc charges

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

kilns wrote: »
    Correct, its a huge issue and the market is going to tank again today like Tuesday because of it

I think Trumps ego loves the fact he can move the markets with just one tweet but Wall Street wont tolerate this volatility for long (although a lot of money can be made day trading it)

And would you be surprised if those in Trump's orbit are doing exactly that, i.e. playing day futures knowing what is exciting Trump today which will result in a tweet overnight with consequent likely effects on the markets being played.

• Advertisement

everlast75 wrote: »

*Donny Jnr is indicted

Add:
    Jared is indicted
    Stone flips to Mueller
    Ivanka is embroiled in the Moscow deal

aloyisious wrote: »
    Double-agenting wearing a wire?
    He could be asked to do so or to record his phone conversations as part of the plea deal. That's not to say that it happened - just that he could have been.

Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps...

https://twitter.com/HillReporter/status/1070321863241404418

• Registered Users Posts: 37,666 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I haven't posted much in these Trump threads recently but there is a huge amount of people that want him to be impeached or just that he is forced to step down.
    I'm no fan of Donald Trump, I've been accused of it, but I don't want to see him gone at least until the end of his term. The reason for this is Mike Pence who worries me greatly. I think World War 3 could easily happen with him at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,141 ✭✭✭✭looksee

True, there is a bit of an element of 'better the fool that you know than the devil you don't know'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

For me, I reckon he is toast... and soon. (My previous estimate of Christmas is proving to be a little optimistic.. despite all logic pointing to him being impeached/resigning)

It's worth looking at the current state of play. This is from memory - I'm sure I've missed something.

*Donny Jnr is indicted
    *Stone is subpoenaed
    *Collusion report is released to Dem House

The Obstruction report will be later, but even more clear and damning in my opinion

We already have
    *Cohen cooperating
    *McGhan cooperating
    *Flynn cooperating
    *Gates cooperating
    *Weisselberg cooperating
    *David Pecker cooperating

that we know of

We have the following cases against Trump
    *Stormy Daniels
    *Summer Zervos
    *Emoluments clause cases

We know, thanks to the Flynn memo, there are two other criminal matters in which he is cooperating which may or may not be relating to Trump.

His AG is in trouble, in that there are cases brought against his legitimacy, and despite his appointment, it looks like he is not protecting Trump or shutting down the investigation, which was the only reason for his appointment.

We were told that his finances were a read line, yet we know
    *The emoluments case will lead to their release
    *The dems will be seeking his tax returns come January

We have
    * a spiralling deficit
    * record breaking gains by Dems in the House
    * indications that Manafort's JDA has backfired on Trump and his answers may now be contrary to what others have said
    * one of the most successful and efficient run Special Counsel's investigation in history

We have/will have
    *investigations into Trump's financial ties with Russia
    *investigations into Trump's financial ties with Turkey
    *investigations into Trump's financial ties with Saudi Arabia

We will have
    *Manafort's memo released soon which will release as much info to the public as Mueller wants to
    *Comey's evidence released soon

Again - that's what we know of and we are at least six months behind Mueller.

I can see a situation where Trump might get to 2020, but the idea that he will get to go again to me seems beyond impossible.

On Whitaker, I imagine that he has been briefed on Mueller's investigation at this stage. My guess is that he now knows what's in there and doesn't want to be seen as the one who shuts it down especially as it will all come out soon regardless. I expect 'Worst ever AG' tweets from the Donald any day now.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    True, there is a bit of an element of 'better the fool that you know than the devil your don't know'.

No. The Donald is doing far more damage than Pence could ever do.

Agreed.

Trump's only things going for him are his "wealth", "fame", bluster, being an "outsider" and ability to whip up a crowd.

Pence has none of these.

I dunno... Pence is a Slieveen.. With Trump, the damage is mostly resulting from blundering... With Pence, it would be much less visible but more targeted... More Putin-like...

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I dunno... Pence is a Slieveen.. With Trump, the damage is mostly resulting from blundering... With Pence, it would be much less visible but more targeted... More Putin-like...

He is indeed, as are many GOP politicians sadly, but he is much more mainstream than The Donald and would (will) be far less impulsive - being a long time politician. The Donald is impetuously and dangerously serving his Ego only and is incapable of doing anything other than take a massive populist dump all over the office of POTUS and US politics in general.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

eagle eye wrote: »
    I haven't posted much in these Trump threads recently but there is a huge amount of people that want him to be impeached or just that he is forced to step down.
    I'm no fan of Donald Trump, I've been accused of it, but I don't want to see him gone at least until the end of his term. The reason for this is Mike Pence who worries me greatly. I think World War 3 could easily happen with him at the helm.

Pence would be a lame-duck, placeholder president though. Let's assume Trump was given the heave-ho (as I said I don't believe it, but hey) and Pence is installed: with Congress in Democrat hands and the tide very much against the administration, Pence would have to be insane to attempt any kind of bold, decisive move. As powerful as the Christian Evangelical movement is in the US, I don't believe Pence would be the right flavour to run as a 2020 candidate either; apart from anything else, the man has a critical absence of charisma to sway the middle and his noted positions on abortion and gay rights would only further erode that middle support.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

TomOnBoard wrote: »

Pence is a predictable conservative with clear views on issues (whether you agree with him or not)

I don't think he'd do much damage at all to be honest, certainly wouldn't compare him to Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 33,312 ✭✭✭✭Penn

pixelburp wrote: »
    Pence would be a lame-duck, placeholder president though. Let's assume Trump was given the heave-ho (as I said I don't believe it, but hey) and Pence is installed: with Congress in Democrat hands and the tide very much against the administration, Pence would have to be insane to attempt any kind of bold, decisive move. As powerful as the Christian Evangelical movement is in the US, I don't believe Pence would be the right flavour to run as a 2020 candidate either; apart from anything else, the man has a critical absence of charisma to sway the middle and his noted positions on abortion and gay rights would only further erode that middle support.

I agree. I don't think Pence would be able to push too many buttons as both he and the GOP will be covered in sh*t from Trump's downfall if it were to happen. Their best chance of survival for a 2020 vote would be to do nothing in any way controversial or rocking the boat in any way and try play it all nice for 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭circadian

There's no way this house of cards falls and Pence comes out on top. He knew about Flynn but, as far as we know, didn't report it to the FBI. Maybe he did? I get the feeling he didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,236 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

eagle eye wrote: »
    Not sure Mike Pence would escape the net. It really depends on what he knows, but he was an important figure in the transition team and that's when a lot of questionable stuff went on. Putting aside what happened before the election, which he was also a key figure in.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Not sure Mike Pence would escape the net. It really depends on what he knows, but he was an important figure in the transition team and that's when a lot of questionable stuff went on. Putting aside what happened before the election, which he was also a key figure in.

He was after all , recommended for the VP role by Paul Manafort..

Might be something, might be nothing.. But so far all the somethings have turned out to be somethings in the end..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,555 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

On Whitaker, I imagine that he has been briefed on Mueller's investigation at this stage. My guess is that he now knows what's in there and doesn't want to be seen as the one who shuts it down especially as it will all come out soon regardless. I expect 'Worst ever AG' tweets from the Donald any day now.

Good point. If he was briefed, then Whitaker 's freedom of movement with info he's legally aware of is compromised. I'm not sure if the AG in the U.S is, or is not, in the same position as our AG, legal advisor to the Govt and not specifically to the president alone under their constitution. He can't run and say to Don what he knows if it is in respect to Don as the head of a criminal conspiracy. Try to shut it down & he's liable to entanglement in the same conspiracy.

In reality, officially and otherwise, he's only a stand-in for the eventual appointee and he know's that that status would tell if any of his decisions were appealed to U.S.S.C. Before decision-making he's probably thinking "why should I have my legacy ruined and be hung out to dry as a sacrifice at the whim of an ego".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,555 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I'm going to do a bit of supposing here in respect of Vlad. There's been any number of stories that his political future in Russia is rocky. If he was dumped it would be of advantage to his successor to reveal to the U.S what Vlad had been doing with Don in order to curry favour with a replacement for Don from either the GOP or the Dems. The revelations could be made publicly officially via a show-trial. If this was done, then ALL of Dons allies, overt and covert, could be sunk.

Most of the debate in respect of Don and his senior [past and present] Admin team and Personal friends is in respect to their knowledge of his deeds. Imagine the effect of Vlad's knowledge of, and any complicity in, Don's deeds getting into the media or before a senate committee. What's happened to date would probably be only a side-show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭amandstu

What curry flavour?

;)

News breaking that the "boyfriend" of Maria Butina, a Russian lady accused of being a spy and is awaiting trial on those charges, has been sent a letter advising him that he may be the target of an investigation.

I was recently reminded that Trump, while campaigning, never once mentioned lifting sanctions on Russia, until he was asked a question at a press conference on the trail. The person who asked the question? Maria Butina.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

News breaking that the "boyfriend" of Maria Butina, a Russian lady accused of being a spy and is awaiting trial on those charges, has been sent a letter advising him that he may be the target of an investigation.

I was recently reminded that Trump, while campaigning, never once mentioned lifting sanctions on Russia, until he was asked a question at a press conference on the trail. The person who asked the question? Maria Butina.

By who , Mueller?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Erikson's will be charged with "Espionage Lite" as described in the article.

Maria Butina set up "The Right To Bear Arms" in Russia with the objective of infiltarting the NRA. Her protegee Alexandr Torshin was made a NRA life member and he is reported to have funnelled $13 million into the NRA which went on to Reoublican campaigners.

This is being investigated too.

Russian infiltration and hyper-corruption of Western Capitalism through its global money laundering activities over many years have made operations like the above a lot easier.

(Evangelical Christianism influenced through World congress of families.)

In a Free market scenario democratic capitalism was bound to slide towards Fascism eventually. In a world with players using State Capitalism (China) and Mafia State corrupt capitalism (Russia) the slide gets steeper.

In a Chess game scenario Russia was literally moving its own pieces and the USs to facilitate the operation that is being uncovered.

Looks like a deal has been reached with Butina.

Whether it is a co-op agreement (and this poster thinks) or a spy swap with Russia, we will see

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

https://www.thetrace.org/2018/12/trump-nra-campaign-coordination/

Another potential angle on the campaign financing laws during the election, this time between the NRA and the Trump campaign.

In essence they were using the same media company to place ads in the same time slots on the same channels with messages that reinforce each other. There is no issue with someone putting out a positive add, but if it's coordinated than it's classed as a campaign contribution & can't exceed $5000, which the ads comfortably did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Looks like a deal has been reached with Butina.
    That same person on Twitter (Verbaljungle) re-tweeted this
    The article says:
    AP wrote:
    Ecuador’s president has ramped up pressure on Julian Assange to leave his country’s embassy in London, saying that Britain had provided sufficient guarantees that the WikiLeaks founder won’t be extradited to face the death penalty abroad.
    “The road is clear for Mr. Assange to take the decision to leave,” Moreno said, referring to written assurances he said he had received from Britain.
    Nothing is preventing [Britain] from extraditing him to the U.S. if prosecutors there were to pledge not to seek the death penalty.

Assange has long maintained the he faces charges under seal in the U.S for revealing highly sensitive government information on his website.

Those fears were heightened when U.S prosecutors last month mistakenly referenced criminal charges against him in an unrelated case.

[Several] outlets have reported that Assange is indeed facing unspecified charges under seal, but prosecutors have so far provided no official confirmation.
    They might pledge not to seek the death penalty - but that doesn't mean that they won't lock him up for the rest of his life.

There's another interesting part that I didn't know about:
    AP wrote:
    [Assange] was granted citizenship last year as part of an apparent attempt to name him a diplomat and ferry him to Russia
    Cue Vald organising a commando unit to extract him from the Embassy ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement