Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philadelphia Eagles Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I think you guys need to just bench Vicks, I posted in here during the preseaon that I really liked the look of young Foles. He just really impressed me during his game time. Certainly the kind of player the Eagles should build with, rather than the high risk and inconsistent style of Vicks. Reid should swallow some pride and make the bold move, otherwise I think his days are numbered.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭JerseyJoe

There's too much blame to go around for this season's disappointment.

First, it was Vick playing poorly and the defense being tight. Then somewhere along the way Vick slightly improved but then the defense slipped. All year long, the O-line has been in shambles. McCoy has been underused, and the play calling has been suspect. The lack of discipline with penalties and untimely turnovers have also been an achilles heel.

I know the Eagles are only 3-5 and technically not out of it, but is it too early to be looking at this season as a write off already?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭nerd69

JerseyJoe wrote: »
    There's too much blame to go around for this season's disappointment.

First, it was Vick playing poorly and the defense being tight. Then somewhere along the way Vick slightly improved but then the defense slipped. All year long, the O-line has been in shambles. McCoy has been underused, and the play calling has been suspect. The lack of discipline with penalties and untimely turnovers have also been an achilles heel.

I know the Eagles are only 3-5 and technically not out of it, but is it too early to be looking at this season as a write off already?
    Ur right I fear were turning into yhe cowboys lots of talent but never really get anyone worried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

Michael Vick has got more sacks than Father Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Thinking back on what I said earlier, ye are probably better off not playing Nick Foles right now with your O line being so poor. Poor kid would probably be crippled playing in such a dangerous environment like last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

The eagles moved the ball downfield with ease at times last night, but they couldn't put it in the endzone. Is that down to poor play calling?

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    The eagles moved the ball downfield with ease at times last night, but they couldn't put it in the endzone. Is that down to poor play calling?
    Poor play calling an inexperienced/incapable o-line and a lack of a red zone threat at receiver deseans to small and Maclins ok in the rz but neither are big celek has to stay back and block as per usual in this team wasting his best abilities (receiving) and lesean can gain yards behind this line sometimes due to flat out elite ability but he's on his own at the mo Vick is afraid to run in case he fumbles/ andy gets odd at him for not being a pocket qb

All in all were suffering from a few real bad drafts name some value picks we have found out of the last 3 drafts and compare it to teams that are where we want to be and it goes some way to explaining our mediocrity

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

I like Vick, for all his failings he is still one of the most athleticly explosive and elusive QB'S ever.

For a guy who has been hit so many times, with his injury history its remarkable he hasn't missed one game yet this season.

The problem is the O line. Nick Foles, as much as i liked what i saw from him pre-season is not the answer right now, soon but not right now. He would be smashed up time and gain. Vick has no time in the pocket and is scrambling straight after the snap. NO QB could cope with what he has to.

Put Manning(s), Brady, Rodgers or anyone behind that O line and you will have the same scenario. I for one am fed up. There has been a lot of injuries i know, but where is the roster depth??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Deadpool

The o line are just not good enough. end of. unless that changes this season is over.

Had a dream last night the Eagles had an O line full of quality fatties. How i wish that was true. As an Eagles fan, it pains to say this season is all but over. Common knowledge for sure, its all about collateral damage now. We have to beat the Cowboys plain and simple.

WE HAVE TO BEAT THE F***ING COWBOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

JohnButler wrote: »
    Had a dream last night the Eagles had an O line full of quality fatties. How i wish that was true. As an Eagles fan, it pains to say this season is all but over. Common knowledge for sure, its all about collateral damage now. We have to beat the Cowboys plain and simple.

WE HAVE TO BEAT THE F***ING COWBOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

even if we beat the cowboys its gona be real tough we have to go on a run and i dont see anything showing we can

listened to a podcast today and aparently andy reid is done he has no fire since his son died and the players are down from it i dont know if this is true but very sad if it is

If true then that is a shame. I would have been of the opinion that his sons unfortunate death would have inspired him, you know..something to really throw himself into. Credit for his effort but its not enough anymore. New ideas, new playbook, new players all needed.

Jeff Lurie must act on his statement that 8-8 would not be good enough. This is realistically probably the last season of Vick/Reid. I would like to see Andy stay on in some shape or form but not in a coaching role. I want to see Foles next pre-season and then in the regular season and we need to draft a QB(among a host of othe positions). Dont want to see Trent Edwards anywhere on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Reid is definitely done in Phillie at the end of the year and Vick will be released too (16 million next year is too big a number to carry for no 7) but I wouldnt be surprised to see him released and resigned to a more accommodating number, especially if someone like Gruden would take the job. I think Chuckie could do really good things with Vick and he would defintely provide the fire and constant attention that Vick needs to excel.

Two years ago Vick was under pressure from the coaching staff to play well and avoid mistakes it has seemed for sometime that he hasnt been under the cosh at the Eagles so a change in management could see him pressured to perform and regain the form of 2010. Otherwise we turn the team over to Foles and see how he does.

Our problems have been apparent for a couple of years now and it all comes back to poor drafting from Reid and the front office. We used to pride ourselves on our O and D-line and we drafted accordingly by making sure we built from the front. Somewhere along the way we started to struggle with the line and our scouting of linemen has clearly been way off base.

We need to get back to basics and that starts with the line. Next year we'll have Peters back at LT but we need to strengthen the rest of the line. Right now we have 4 backups across the line and it means that there is nothing but pressure in Vicks face. He's gunshy now because he's been hit so much (perfectly understandable) so if we can strengten the line and restructure his contract going forward we still can be a contender but clearing house now has to be the priority

I also seriously doubt it's a coinsidance that when it becomes widely accepted that reids gone this year grudens starts looking at what coordinators are around

Man, just watched the Saints game again...really depressing. 3rd quarter looked like something was really happening for the Eagles. Serious mess ups in the red zone unacceptable. DeSean should have made more of an effort for his end zone mess up...JuMP AT THE F***ING THING!!!!

Truth be told we have to give the ball to Shady if we gonna do anything this season.

Watching Drew Brees and it amazes me how much time he has in the pocket. If Vick had that, added to his scrambling and rushing we would be pushing for play offs.

nerd69 wrote: »
    I also seriously doubt it's a coinsidance that when it becomes widely accepted that reids gone this year grudens starts looking at what coordinators are around

he was our offensive co-ord for a couple of years and would allow for continuity in offensive system and terminology. He also comes with a superbowl ring and a lot of respect. We could do a lot worse than having him in charge

frostie500 wrote: »

he was our offensive co-ord for a couple of years and would allow for continuity in offensive system and terminology. He also comes with a superbowl ring and a lot of respect. We could do a lot worse than having him in charge
    He can be angry when he needs to be some players need a bit of a chewing light a fire under them and they should excell

Well looks like a high draft pick this year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

If they sack Andy Reid now and go for Sean Payton, I will personally empty my bank account right now to help fund it. Horrible. I've never seen a team that can so regularly get a glimmer of hope, then have it crushed almost instantly (prime example: Dallas' last TD after we'd just got the ball back to try and force overtime). Tonight was painful but so typical for the 2012 Eagles. We need to push the reset button.

I don't actually blame Vick. He's still a dangerous weapon when protected, as we saw at the start of tonight and in the 1st quarter against the Saints. But he's simply not getting that protection. We switch off too, which is a simple motivation problem and the blame for that, ultimately, lies with the coach. Because players of that quality don't switch off when they have good reason to switch on and believe in the cause. You can almost literally see us deflate when we have even a minor setback. It happened again when Vick went down, nobody believed in Foles until the 44-yard TD. Then a few plays go awry (as is to be expected when you bring in an unprepared rookie) and we're right back to being sluggish and sloppy.

Reid is playing each week for his job, which represents a conflict of interest as he's now making decisions out of desperation more than anything (come back Juan Castillo, all is forgiven. At least at the start of the year people could say we were a mess of a franchise with a decent defence). With nothing else to play for (a 3-6 team with no signs of improvement isn't reaching the play-offs), can we please just wash our hands and start afresh? Not having Reid mope around, making bad call after bad call in his panicked state, might even see us ending the season on a bit of a high.

its entirely possible that vick namdi and ried get sacked this offseason if so it should make for an interesting offseason in general

leggo i don't think sean payton will leave the saints id love to see him here but cant see it happening gruden seems more likely at the mo not sure what to make of him but he's got a sb under his belt so that counts for something (and apparently hes been in talks with juan whos a hero now apparently) reids been a great hc for years but the lack of a sb is a killer for him.

also i agree with the vick comment foles played very well i thought today and shows great potential but its unfair to dismiss vick hes taken a ridiculous amount of punishment for this team due to our inept/inexperienced o-line and its showing thats all

• Advertisement

I know, agree that Payton is a long shot and that Vick will probably be shown the door with Reid. Just to wipe the slate clean and start afresh.

The one thing we have in our favour, though, is that we're perhaps more ready to make a play-off run than the Saints, if we can attract a good QB in Vick's place (or keep him and get the most out of him under a good coach for 1-2 more years, which is my - albeit unlikely - preferred option). LeSean is a machine when he's given space to run, and our receivers can do damage from DeSean's spectacular plays when he comes on fire, to the consistency of Maclin and Celek at TE when they're fed the ball well. Plus we've got a great D...when it's actually co-ordinated!

I know they've just beaten Atlanta and are on a run, but realistically the Saints are still a one-man team and still very vulnerable in certain areas (i.e. DEFENCE!). They're not the force they were when they won the Superbowl and not even the force they were last season. If I'm Payton, I'd look at it as a chance to make a fresh break and go somewhere with prospects. But I'm not, nor do I know how much he actually wanted to go back to the Saints next year, so that could definitely be an option if they can pony up the cash. But can they afford what would probably need to be a massive pay rise, with Brees' new contract? Is he worth that financial squeeze when his most recent season ended at the Wildcard Round? Or could the money be put to better use re-structuring the team itself?

As for the Cowboys, yeah they could offer the money, but Jerry Jones is probably waaaaayy too hands on for a coach like Payton. Could he make the changes he needs to get the job done? Would Jones give him the respect he deserves and freedom if things didn't go perfectly from the get-go?

And the Chargers are a mess, as we saw from Norv Turner's meltdown last night. Would you like to coach that team after watching that? The kicker there is they probably won't even get a high enough draft pick to make the changes needed, they're 2-3 years of excellent management away from being a force again.

The Eagles are Superbowl ready with the right coach...aren't they? Or am I just talking myself into believing this is possible?

Yeah, I'll get ready for the Gruden and Foles era. Sure at least I'm used to watching Eagles games through my hands now, that's something...

i dont know if there superbowl ready i think we are like the cowboys in that we seem to have a lot of talent but do we really 2 years solid now we have not performed you can look at the browns roster and pick out
    dequell jackson
    joe haden
    tj ward
    trend richardson and
    2 damn good lines
    but i would not regard them as a superbowl team

we have

on offense

vick(getting hit left right and center hes gona have serious permanent damage due to our o-line/playcalling)

mccoy (a beast a top 3 rb in the nfl cant state how good he is)

o-line (.......)

desean( spreads the field and is having a decent season but he will never be a top 5 wr due to his size)

maclin(good 2nd wr cant say much bad about him)

avant( very underrated one of the top slot wrs in the nfl)

on d

d-line(not had a good year so far but i do think theres talent there so im giving them a pass)

ryans(good mlb but has not brought the leadership that was expected of him the d looks soft this year and a bit laid back i put this on the alleged "leader" but play wise im happy enough)

kendricks(lots of potential rookie of the year for us unless foles blows it up)

cbs (drc is ok happy enough with him not a stud but a solid corner. namdi is not playing up to his potential had an argument with a chargers fan when we signed him as he said he was overrated and looks like he was right not worth half the contract hes on)

safteys(underrated allen and coleman are not studs or elite but no-one thought they would be there decent safteys that do the job)

so do we hav that much more talent than a team like the browns?

I liked what I saw from Foles last night but I couldnt help but think that the playcalling was much more similar to what we used for most of the 2010 season with Vick. But he definitely showed a lot of promise and made some very good decision.

I like what I saw and given that Andy Reid said that Vick had a serious concussion it's pretty clear that we'll be seeing a lot of number nine for the next couple of weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

21 points conceded in 2:31. How can you expect to win when that happens ?

i dont know if there superbowl ready i think we are like the cowboys in that we seem to have a lot of talent but do we really 2 years solid now we have not performed

Yeah, I get what you mean, and maybe I am being a hopeless optimist here.

I just think back to the end of last season when we got rolling, but it was too little, too late. I think of the glimmers of brilliance and how dangerous we can look on offence, while staying solid on D when on-form. And when I see this, I think we can beat any team on our day and have the depth to get a great run going that can take us through to the play-offs. Get into the play-offs with momentum and who knows what can happen.

I genuinely wouldn't have the same confidence in Romo doing the same, he switches off waaaayy more than Vick does (and Vick has been harshly criticised due to our poor O-Line), and the Browns can't even seem to get sustained momentum together in a single game, much less a season (granted you could say the same thing about us right now). Under a top coach that the likes of Vick could respect and believe in, I still see us as having potential to do serious damage. Just sort out the offensive line and build with what we've got.

Either way, I think we need to cut our losses with Reid now and begin rebuilding immediately. He was told to get us to the play-offs, or else, and we're not going to get there. If we lose to Washington next week, put him out of his misery.

Yeah I agree, Vick hasnt been half as bad as the media have made out this year. With the exception of the first two games (where he was exceptionally rusty having missed the entire pre-season) he has done alright. He's gunshy now because of the poor protection but he's far from our main issue.

His contract will make it impossible to keep him however but if I was the Eagles front office I would release him after the season and then resign him to new more viable contract. Whatever is said about Vick he is clearly greatful to the Eagles organistaion and knows that at the skill positions we have so much potential.

Sorting out our offensive line is clearly priority number one this offseason. We'll have Jason Peters back in 2013 which is obviously crucial but finding a RT is the key for us. I actually liked our interior protection at times against the Cowboys so drafting a new RT is key for us.

We need to get back to what made the Eagles such a good team for so long and that is building through the draft. Free ageny splashes dont pay off too often and we've seen that with Nnamdi and other guys.

I like DeMeco Ryans at MLB and he has clearly been a big improvement for us and Kendricks looks very good.

In saying that our record over the last two years does not lie, We are an average team in the NFL and need to improve a lot if we are to become Superbowl contenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Outsider's perspective:

Fire Reid, bring in Gruden. Payton would be great but unlikely. Norv as OC, Castillo back as DC. Start Foles or trade into the top 5 next year, it's a solid team talent wise, O-Line aside so losing picks wouldnt be the end of the world.

spiralism wrote: »
    Outsider's perspective:

Fire Reid, bring in Gruden. Payton would be great but unlikely. Norv as OC, Castillo back as DC. Start Foles or trade into the top 5 next year, it's a solid team talent wise, O-Line aside so losing picks wouldnt be the end of the world.
    We may not need to trade up if things keep going as is

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

We may not need to trade up if things keep going as is

Time enough throwing Foles in then. He loses, then fine, ye pick high. He wins, happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    21 points conceded in 2:31. How can you expect to win when that happens ?

You cant win and IMO the players have stopped playing for andy reid.

Advertisement