Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

Would it be possible to leave everything for contract (and I mean everything) to do between the evening of the 15th and the morning of the 21st?

I'm a dab hand at cramming but I'm still writing up my other four subjects haha (sob)

Contract is fairly easy to learn going from my undergrad, but I've no idea about the scope and predictability of the course

If you have the notes done and condensed page notes that is almost six days plenty of time!!
    Correct me if I'm wrong but alot if people are writing notes up to the last few days before first exam then the cramming commences giving themselves 2 or 3 days for each topic roughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

People doing courts for criminal, how many cases do you have roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BemusedKettle

If you have the notes done and condensed page notes that is almost six days plenty of time!!
    Correct me if I'm wrong but alot if people are writing notes up to the last few days before first exam then the cramming commences giving themselves 2 or 3 days for each topic roughly.

You give me life

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

People doing courts for criminal, how many cases do you have roughly?

10 on the dot, mainly SCC

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Anybody still working full time and still have about half your notes left to make? Misery loves company

This gives me hope too! You are not alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

lawless11 wrote: »
    This gives me hope too! You are not alone.
    Anybody still working full time and still have about half your notes left to make? Misery loves company

Working full time and will do so until the exams :( . One thing I will say is that the night before some exams I knew not one case and cried, the next morning I crammed before the exam and I passed. On some exams I was writing notes the day before the exam and cramming information into my brain the morning before the exam.

Concentrate on understanding everything. You can cram case names in in little time before the exam.

Everyone wants to be organised and sleep well the night before the exam and know all they need to when they go in but trust me, everyone is in a panic right up until the moment they walk into that room and if anyone tells you they feel ready and prepared, I would guess they are the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭lawlad101

Leraf wrote: »
    Working full time and will do so until the exams :( . One thing I will say is that the night before some exams I knew not one case and cried, the next morning I crammed before the exam and I passed. On some exams I was writing notes the day before the exam and cramming information into my brain the morning before the exam.

Concentrate on understanding everything. You can cram case names in in little time before the exam.

Everyone wants to be organised and sleep well the night before the exam and know all they need to when they go in but trust me, everyone is in a panic right up until the moment they walk into that room and if anyone tells you they feel ready and prepared, I would guess they are the opposite.

Yeah that's the thing, it seems to be panic panic panic in the weeks before and then on the day it just sort of all comes together :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

Leraf wrote: »
    Concentrate on understanding everything.

Couldn't agree more. No point in learning hundreds of cases off by heart if you don't understand their relevance.

Remember, we need to be able to apply these cases...

I'm guilty of this myself so I always need to remind myself to understand things first. Once you understand the reasoning, it's 10x easier to memorise this stuff.

My guess is that it's more beneficial to know and understand 50% of the cases and be able to apply them effectively than it is to know hundreds of cases without knowing their relevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 clearsky99

Does anyone have a tort grid that they wouldn’t mind sharing with me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭scooby321

Does anyone have the Independent predicted topics for Constitutional by any chance? Running out of time so I'm going to try to focus on about 7/8 topics hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

10 on the dot, mainly SCC

I don't have any, I can't see any in the manual :confused:

holliek wrote: »
    I don't have any, I can't see any in the manual :confused:

SCC

DPP v Pringle
    DPP v Kavanagh
    DPP v John Dundon
    Gilligan v SCC
    McElhineney v SCC

Court of Appeal:
    Wayne Dundon case - DPP wanted harsher sentence. Didn't get it
    DPP v Wall - called miscarriage of justice

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Yohnathan

Yes! I have to start Constitutional notes! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

With such a large number of topics to cover, are you guys studying two subjects per day? i.e. Criminal & Tort on a Monday, Equity & Property on the Tuesday, back to Criminal & Tort on the Wednesday etc.?

In relation to unconstitutionally obtained evidence, my manual has 'Casual' link - is it correct or is it supposed to be 'Causal' link? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jamesob123

Hi folks - am I right in saying that we cannot bring in any legislation into the Tort exam?

I'm fairly certain that's the case :(

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

lawless11 wrote: »
    In relation to unconstitutionally obtained evidence, my manual has 'Casual' link - is it correct or is it supposed to be 'Causal' link? Thanks.

Should be Causal
    jamesob123 wrote: »
    Hi folks - am I right in saying that we cannot bring in any legislation into the Tort exam?

I'm fairly certain that's the case :(

Yep, no legislation for Tort.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Fe1hayes

What are people doing for contract? I have written notes and rewriting them now always how I learn but overwhelmed by the amount of cases also in her reports she sounds like a very tough maker! Any tips welcomed.
    Also if anyone has guidance in what they are doing for EU would be great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kallyann1

Does anybody have any predictions for Constitutional? It is very big and overwhelming! going to try cut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 frankiejoepat

When will the results for this sitting be released?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

When will the results for this sitting be released?

Usually 6 weeks after the last Friday of the exams.

I would estimate that to be the 3rd May but am open to correction

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mariealice

Could anyone tell me what came up in Contract & EU in October please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

So my notes are almost all done. My plan is to hopefully start learning off on Monday. I'm doing Tort, Criminal, Property and Contract.

There is a 7 day gap between my 3rd and 4th exam, 4th exam being contract. Do people think it would be relatively safe to pretty much ignore Contract until that 7 day gap and cram it all then?

So my notes are almost all done. My plan is to hopefully start learning off on Monday. I'm doing Tort, Criminal, Property and Contract.

There is a 7 day gap between my 3rd and 4th exam, 4th exam being contract. Do people think it would be relatively safe to pretty much ignore Contract until that 7 day gap and cram it all then?

I think you should be good to ignore it, yep. 7 days is plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jamesob123

Should be Causal

Yep, no legislation for Tort.

Thanks </3

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nimcdona

For easments does anyone know If the reform under 2009 act has come into effect? In my manual it says it has but then I've read in other notes its was delayed until December 2021

Its probably not too significant, just don't want to be penalised for saying the wrong thing

nimcdona wrote: »
    For easments does anyone know If the reform under 2009 act has come into effect? In my manual it says it has but then I've read in other notes its was delayed until December 2021

Its probably not too significant, just don't want to be penalised for saying the wrong thing

I've only started property today since christmas but that's ringing a bell in relation to easements by prescription I think? Someone else will know better however.

I've only started property today since christmas but that's ringing a bell in relation to easements by prescription I think? Someone else will know better however.

No problem, yep its in relation to prescriptions.

Just don't know whether in a problem question I should be advising the client in relation to the traditional ways of acquiring prescriptions or the new ways under 2009 act if you get me, because if its not in effect until 2021 I presume you can't really apply it in regard to advice but I don't know really know tbh haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

nimcdona wrote: »
    No problem, yep its in relation to prescriptions.

Just don't know whether in a problem question I should be advising the client in relation to the traditional ways of acquiring prescriptions or the new ways under 2009 act if you get me, because if its not in effect until 2021 I presume you can't really apply it in regard to advice but I don't know really know tbh haha

I'm just kind of figuring this our for myself at the moment, so this is my understanding of it:

The idea is that for the LCLRA rules to apply the 12 year period has to run from 1 December 2009 onwards. So say for example the easement started on 1 January 2010 to 1 January 2022, that's fine, 12 year period ran, all good.

But if the easement started to run on 1 January 2005 to 1 January 2017, the Court won't grant an easement under the 2009 Act as the user period started before the 2009 Act was enacted.

So this created a period from 1 December 2009 to 1 December 2021 where there would be no method of prescription available.

S.38 of the Civil Law Miscellaneous Provisions Act 2011 was enacted to allow the old prescription laws to be used until 1 December 2021. So you can have 12 years user from 2009 on, or 20 years (old rules) if the user period ends between 2009 and 2021.

Hope that makes sense...

• Advertisement

I'm just kind of figuring this our for myself at the moment, so this is my understanding of it:

The idea is that for the LCLRA rules to apply the 12 year period has to run from 1 December 2009 onwards. So say for example the easement started on 1 January 2010 to 1 January 2022, that's fine, 12 year period ran, all good.

But if the easement started to run on 1 January 2005 to 1 January 2017, the Court won't grant an easement under the 2009 Act as the user period started before the 2009 Act was enacted.

So this created a period from 1 December 2009 to 1 December 2021 where there would be no method of prescription available.

S.38 of the Civil Law Miscellaneous Provisions Act 2011 was enacted to allow the old prescription laws to be used until 1 December 2021. So you can have 12 years user from 2009 on, or 20 years (old rules) if the user period ends between 2009 and 2021.

Hope that makes sense...

Thank you so so much, that's cleared it up for me perfectly.

Appreciate it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement