Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Top Earners 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,467 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How do they get away with their adverts promoting the truth wall to wall displaying a completely unreadable graphic of the top 10 on the list, it's like a Communist Party cover up. RTE - The Truth Matters...me bollix....
    001616a4-614.jpg?ratio=1.45

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0120/1190981-rte-on-air-earners/

• Registered Users Posts: 60,369 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I would imagine the contractors are all paid from the ad revenue they bring in.

There is only 4 RTE employees on that list.

M

I would imagine the contractors are all paid from the ad revenue they bring in.

Have you listened to the ad breaks on Liveline recently for ads generating actual revenue for RTE? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,143 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Let's be honest, they are rte employees by proxy.

You really think Tubs, Duffy, Miriam, George Hamilton, Claire Byrne aren't lifers at Montrose?

They are only contractors for tax reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Poor Tubbers hasn’t had a pay increase since 2017, the poor lad. I wonder how he’s coping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

RTE-Highest-Earners-Release-2017-2018-2019-1024x724.jpg

There's a slightly bigger version of that graphic they would rather you didn't read

https://about.rte.ie/2021/01/20/rte-publishes-highest-presenter-earnings-for-2017-2018-and-2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 72,127 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

That table makes for interesting reading.

*makes TV presenter showreel to send to Noel Kelly*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Quite disgusting to see those salaries

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Is George Hamilton a freelancer? Or RTÉ contractor?

What the hell does he do to justify that salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Never mind the contractors, the employee figures are eye-watering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Its disgraceful the salwry' they are on. An absolute joke. If Gay Byrne had of earned as much as Tubridy ok I would say he deserved it at least he made the Late Late Show entertaining, interesting and controversial. Ryan Tubridy has not got a clue how to do that. It's all misery misery and more misery from him. Even the Toy show at Christmas was crap. Not a single toy on it either. The top 3 or 5 should have there salary halted at least. RTE need to save money. That is what they should do. They do not like it fine then go get a job at the BBC or somewhere else see how much they will get.

Looking at it on the news they could easily save 1million euros and then maybe pay the low earning staff at the station a bit more he even hire a few more people for the money they would save. I would cut 200thosand from the top two and reduce everyone else's to 200thosand euros. That would save them loads.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

M

Quite disgusting to see those salaries

Dee Forbes would actually make 5th place herself in 2019 with her package so to speak...
    Recent accounts show Dee Forbes, the director general, receives a salary of €250,000, a €25,000 car allowance and pension contributions of €63,000 – bringing her total remuneration package to €338,000.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/salaries-for-10-highest-paid-rt%C3%A9-presenters-amounted-to-3m-in-2016-1.4075822

• Registered Users Posts: 54,726 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ray is truly a fooking mystery..

Only in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Thank you for setting up this thread.

Did you notice RTE releasing the figures today....Joe Biden inauguration day.

Hoping the noise from that would drown the scandalous amounts out.

Tubridy will dodge the bullets by waffling on about biden in the morning.

Disgusting salaries.

I certainly wont be paying the licence fee ( I wasnt anyway!)

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭StevenToast

AMKC wrote: »
    Its disgraceful the salwry' they are on. An absolute joke. If Gay Byrne had of earned as much as Tubridy ok I would say he deserved it at least he made the Late Late Show entertaining, interesting and controversial. Ryan Tubridy has not got a clue how to do that. It's all misery misery and more misery from him. Even the Toy show at Christmas was crap. Not a single toy on it either. The top 3 or 5 should have there salary halted at least. RTE need to save money. That is what they should do. They do not like it fine then go get a job at the BBC or somewhere else see how much they will get.

Looking at it on the news they could easily save 1million euros and then maybe pay the low earning staff at the station a bit more he even hire a few more people for the money they would save. I would cut 200thosand from the top two and reduce everyone else's to 200thosand euros. That would save them loads.

Stop talking common sense

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ray D'Arsehole 450,000 wtf how :confused::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,105 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Studz Entertainment Ltd - nicky byrne :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Most of them have bs company names calling themselves companies.
    Does that mean they don't have to pay any tax on their hundreds of thousands?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Dee Forbes would actually make 5th place herself in 2019 with her package so to speak...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/salaries-for-10-highest-paid-rt%C3%A9-presenters-amounted-to-3m-in-2016-1.4075822

People need to put these amounts at RTE and public services into perspective. We are paying these people, nearly X10 the average salary or X5 a decent salary.

What do the tax payers get in return?

RTE encouraging tax dodging, let be honest, contractors my arse. 50k artist exception right off the bat if I am correct.

Dee grow a set if they are contractors half the salaries and have someone in standby to fill the role if they don't like it.

And only 1% of RTEs budget said as if that is something decent? RTE has such a large budget cause it's a mess finically and the black hole like other state organisations get bigger year on year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Ray Darcy being worth that baffles me. Can't see what people see in him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I pay the licence fee fool that I am. Its just to stop some so called inspector annoying me at my front door.
    Wouldn't mind but I don't receive rte and don't watch tv per se. Just netflix and DVDs.

There is no way any of the presenters on that list deserve that pay.
    A more talentless agrivating bunch of people you'd be hard pressed to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Ray Darcy being worth that baffles me. Can't see what people see in him.

The only thing Ray D'Arcy was ever any good on was the den.
    You have Tubridy on 495k asking all of Ireland to dig into their pockets and help all the charities, trying to keep us all miserable with misery stories while he's keeping all his 495k for himself and dodging tax by calling himself a company.
    Bit of a disgrace isn't it really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I always thought 2FM was a commercial entity and not included in the overall RTE figures.

Personally I don't think any presenter in Ireland is worth ~half a million a year BUT they are headlining the top shows both on radio and TV so being the top paid does make sense, I'd have them all on profit sharing for their shows rather than a base salary though, that way if their shows do well they do well and there's no money taken out of the license fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,388 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Couple of things I take from this list:
    Tubridy presents the radio show and the Late Late. Say what you want about him, but he obviously brings something to those shows (late late in particular). It's crazy money, but market forces/etc.

Ray D'Arcy baffles me - his show is relatively short, it's a black hole devoid of entertainment. I assume he's on the big money because he was poached from Today FM and they signed a contract, but I would question if they are getting a return.

For me, Duffy is the most galling. His show runs with or without him. One of the most impactful Livelines last year was after golfgate when people were ringing in about their loved ones passing/etc. If memory serves, Katie Hannon was presenting then?

Oh, and as someone else said - Studz Entertainment Ltd as Nicky Byrne's company name is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Clareman wrote: »
    I always thought 2FM was a commercial entity and not included in the overall RTE figures.

Personally I don't think any presenter in Ireland is worth ~half a million a year BUT they are headlining the top shows both on radio and TV so being the top paid does make sense, I'd have them all on profit sharing for their shows rather than a base salary though, that way if their shows do well they do well and there's no money taken out of the license fee.

its the shows that have been around for decades and that are the institutions. Not some toff with the personality of a mop. Graham norton is a good entertainer for example, Ryan tubridy? you reckon he would land a gig anywhere other than this small rock? I mean the LLS still gets good viewership figures and it has been appalling for years... So this nonsense of "its the presenter" it isnt, it is the name of the show, peoples viewing habits, hence they watch the absolute depressing crap

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Idbatterim wrote: »
    its the shows that have been around for decades and that are the institutions. Not some toff with the personality of the mop. I mean the LLS still gets good viewership figures and it has been appalling for years... So this nonsense of "its the presenter" it isnt, it is the name of the show, peoples viewing habits, hence they watch the absolute depressing crap

And the presenter with a script that bears no resemblance to the conversation

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

liam7831 wrote: »

Couldn't agree more, just beyond comprehensible. I wouldn't mind if there was an ounce of Talent between this motley crew.

During lockdowns, I found myself watching more Irish TV and listening to Irish Radio. Apart from a few presenters (not even mentioned here), the rest was utterly dreadful. News & current affairs presentation in particular just awful.

I just don't get these outrageous salaries, very very simple solution is offer a reasonable salary, they can take it or leave, what's their option? Virgin "tabloid reality show" media? I think not. How RTE ever got into this absurdity is beyond me. One interesting thing I noticed was this claim salaries have been reduced, I'm not seeing this in TURDbidys figures.

Finally, I've also noticed throughout the past few months, most of our quality journalists seem to be working for France 24, Euronews, speaks volumes really.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Studz Entertainment Ltd - nicky byrne :pac:
    Yes, that is the real tragedy here :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Idbatterim wrote: »
    its the shows that have been around for decades and that are the institutions. Not some toff with the personality of a mop. Graham norton is a good entertainer for example, Ryan tubridy? you reckon he would land a gig anywhere other than this small rock? I mean the LLS still gets good viewership figures and it has been appalling for years... So this nonsense of "its the presenter" it isnt, it is the name of the show, peoples viewing habits, hence they watch the absolute depressing crap

Absolutely they have the benefit of the show or being on Prime Time, this happens everywhere, earn your dues on other shows/timeslots and then get the big gig at which point they are on profit sharing rather than big salaries, saying that I'm sure the LLS is profit making for RTE and cover his salary.

RTE Saturday night chat show slot has gone around the houses for years looking for a presenter.

• Advertisement

and yet everyone tunes into that tripe that is the toy show...vote with your feet, tune off..

I find it hilarious that all these celebs and TV personalities are jumping up and down "evolving, adapting and being inventive" during the pandemic... they're not, they're jumping up waving and shouting like clickbait looking for your attention, trying to be relevant...they're all like a bad habit, give them no attention and they fade away...I've read more books than ever in the last year and have developed a real thirst for it, don't pay their wages end of story.

Advertisement