Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Top Earners 2019

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

These broadcasters are very well paid - I agree with that.

The reason they are well paid is because they are the Creme de la Creme of broadcasting Talent in the Northern Hemisphere.

Our broadcasters are the envy of the world and let us just look at those who try their luck away from Ireland :

Norton
    Wogan
    Eamon Andrews
    Henry Kelly

See what happens - they rise to the top.

If we do not pay top wages to our best broadcasters they will be poached by all the big networks - they will also earn top wages.

If we pay our broadcasters peanuts we will get monkeys.

Recently I was traveling abroad and I was speaking to a well spoken gentleman who was originally from Hamburg and I complemented him on his beautiful diction and he told he that when he was a young lad he grew up in Hamburg listening to RTÉ radio and that is the reason he has a wonderful diction.

So to cut a long story short :

We are the envy of the world

Pay peanuts and you get monkeys

So to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

rusty cole wrote: »
    and yet everyone tunes into that tripe that is the toy show...vote with your feet, tune off..

I find it hilarious that all these celebs and TV personalities are jumping up and down "evolving, adapting and being inventive" during the pandemic... they're not, they're jumping up waving and shouting like clickbait looking for your attention, trying to be relevant...they're all like a bad habit, give them no attention and they fade away...I've read more books than ever in the last year and have developed a real thirst for it, don't pay their wages end of story.

they are definitely contributing to the anxiety of the vulnerable during the pandemic, going out of their way to promote negativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Where’s poor Maura Duran Duran she’s a ride that one

• Registered Users Posts: 54,742 ✭✭✭✭walshb

biggebruv wrote: »
    Where’s poor Maura Duran Duran she’s a ride that one

Steady on there, lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

Sorolla wrote: »

The reason they are well paid is because they are the Creme de la Creme of broadcasting Talent in the Northern Hemisphere.

Our broadcasters are the envy of the world and let us just look at those who try their luck away from Ireland :

Norton
    Wogan
    Eamon Andrews
    Henry Kelly

If we do not pay top wages to our best broadcasters they will be poached by all the big networks - they will also earn top wages.

Recently I was travelling abroad and I was speaking to a well-spoken gentleman who was originally from Hamburg and I complimented him on his beautiful diction and he told he that when he was a young lad he grew up in Hamburg listening to RTÉ radio and that is the reason he has a wonderful diction.

So to speak

I doubt we're the "envy" of the world. Norton was a comedian and as far as I'm aware he never worked for RTE. He went to acting school in London and the acting wasn't working and to get more stage time he started comedy. He was a natural, his first big break was guest hosting a Channel 5 chat show that leads to him getting his Channel 4 show. It's more of a statement of RTE not developing talent than any sign of them being a breeding ground for talent.
    To be honest I had to google the other lads, Eamon Andrews & Henry Kelly. I knew Wogan all right. Pretty telling you can't point to more modern names that "RTE" let slip through their figures than those three lads.

I no issue paying people decent money it just comes down to again RTE not investing in comedy talents or new formats. I would say one of the main RTE presenters is Nicky Clarke the lad from Westlife, which just says it all. Anybody with a bit of celebrity from outside Ireland seems to be golden. Jenifer
    Zamparelli was on The Apprentice in the U.K. so she becomes the main comedy person in RTE, Craig Doyle did well in the U.K presenting shows so he was given three different chat shows in a row that all bombed. RTE was going to give him another one till he said stop, I can't take anymore. The Irish lad from Love Island last year seems to be someone there grooming too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

jface187 wrote: »
    I would say one of the main RTE presenters is Nicky Clarke the lad from Westlife, which just says it all.

He's aged badly since leaving them :pac:

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprodmigration%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fd570c655-30e2-3514-990b-af2591b62a4e.jpg?crop=780%2C520%2C0%2C0&resize=1180

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Sorolla wrote: »

Norton
    Wogan
    Eamon Andrews
    Henry Kelly

Recently I was traveling abroad and I was speaking to a well spoken gentleman who was originally from Hamburg and I complemented him on his beautiful diction and he told he that when he was a young lad he grew up in Hamburg listening to RTÉ radio and that is the reason he has a wonderful diction.

So to speak

I don't know, of the 4 people you've mentioned Graham Norton was an actor who neve worked in broadcasting in Ireland AFAIK, Henry Kelly was a journalist who started in broadcasting in the UK, Terry Wogan worked for RTE and BBC before going full time with the BBC, Eamonn Andrews was around before RTE so probably not fair to reflect on him.

I really don't think any of our presenters would make a go of it in the UK or a bigger market, there's just far too much competition, I also think that if they thought they could make a go of it in the UK they'd be gone. Saying that, the salaries are nothing as bad as they were during the Celtic Tiger, Pat Kenny was on nearly a million, Gerry Ryan over €600k.(source) so that's something.

Comparing Ryan Tubridy to Graham Norton is probably a bit unfair because I think Norton owns the production company for his TV show so he makes money off that (profit sharing) BUT his salary was just ~50% more than Tubridy, considering the much larger audience that doesn't add up to me. (source)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Clareman wrote: »

Comparing Ryan Tubridy to Graham Norton is probably a bit unfair because I think Norton owns the production company for his TV show so he makes money off that (profit sharing) BUT his salary was just ~50% more than Tubridy, considering the much larger audience that doesn't add up to me. (source)

Norton has better guests due to being in London. Also his show is a pre record and edited. The LIVE nature of the LLS helps make it into a cringe fest steaming pile.

Not a fan of Tubridy but it is unfair to compare directly with Norton's show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

It remains startling that these jokers get double what An Taoiseach gets, roughly the same as Pres Joe Biden, and it cannot be unfair to say their work is somewhat more significant. The claim is that they draw advertisers and this is a slice, but if there was anyone at that slot, I suspect fairly similar revenue. The audiences they draw are tiny compared to BBC stars. There are better paid Beeb presenters, but their reach is vastly wider, and if they left it, they could have a reasonable chance of work at another broadcaster. Past experience shows the RTÉ bruisers have nowhere else to go, unless the likes of Denis O'Brien becomes a patron, as with Pat Kenny, and he remains in Ireland. The 'pay peanuts, get monkeys' line is just weak. We already get monkeys and they get more than peanuts. Tubs really must owe his position to political pedigree, making RTÉ employee or contractor (consider also how staff vacancies get filled) the last hereditary occupation. I'd like to see that lot with a harp cursing the foes of Leo or Denis O'Brien in poetic Middle Irish, thinking of an older hereditary occupation.

Nearly all the people cited by Sorolla went straight to the UK and were journalists, actors and comedians who carved out a big audience before they became broadcasters. Eamon Andrews had made it in a vastly larger market before he came back here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

KaneToad wrote: »
    Norton has better guests due to being in London. Also his show is a pre record and edited. The LIVE nature of the LLS helps make it into a cringe fest steaming pile.

Not a fan of Tubridy but it is unfair to compare directly with Norton's show.

The format of Norton is brilliant as well, having them all on at once for chat is a brilliant format, I think his studio is close to where premiers are held so he gets a lot of stars in straight after the premier. The LLS is an institution at this stage and there would be uproar if anyone was to try to change the format

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CONSI

whatever about Tubbs, you could argue he is top of the tree and the flagship RTE show, blah blah etc etc...the rest all should have an enforced 40% pay cut, Darcy was supposed to do a saturday night show...doesnt and does a few hours a day on radio..Joe Duffy has always shocked me in terms of salary, Marty Morrissey is on about 6k a week aswell...no sports company would touch him for any coverage, ripe for a pay cut aswell and RTE could blame covid and loss of advertising revenue. Cap them at 150k and if they think they can get more elsewhere then off they go..Marian Finucane and Miriam O'Callaghan, 300k+ each, for what exactly

D'Arcy was signed from a rival and is both a TV and radio presenter, which so is Tubridy. A decent salary cap and a profit sharing gig is the best way to go although that might cost RTE more than the actual salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Tubridy should be on children's TV presenter salary, because that's all he's capable of doing.

In the last 5 years of huge political turmoil, I don't think there's been one panel debate on the late late show about the impact of Brexit or Trump. What happened to those great debates that the LLS used to be known for, with audience questions for the panelists.

And instead of any serious analysis of Biden's election, on Friday night, you can bet Tubridy will instead be Zooming to Mayo to chat with his relatives and ask them the crucial question... "How Irish does Joe feel, go one tell us, does he feel.........90% Irish??!!.... HAH!!"

It's a travesty that such a poor, uninformed, incurious interviewer commands the top salary at the organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,742 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It's a travesty that such a poor, uninformed, incurious interviewer commands the top salary at the organisation.

This pretty much sums him up

And as inept and weak as he is, he is still streets ahead of Ray

Ryan at least had articulation and fluency and some clue about stuff...

Ray...mother of divine jaysus..

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

walshb wrote: »

Yeah well Ray is no broadcasting titan but he's always given off the vibe of a decent bloke at least.

Tubridy is one of those cnuts that does a great watery eye and heaving chest routine whenever there's a moving item to be covered, but I know full well he would step over a homeless person holding a cup and tell him to get a job while he's at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Didn't Tubs write a book on JFK? Isn't there some tax loop holes for authors?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭brian_t

Studz Entertainment Ltd - nicky byrne :pac:

His father Nicky Snr had his own band called "Nicky and the Studz".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭brian_t

JJayoo wrote: »
    Didn't Tubs write a book on JFK? Isn't there some tax loop holes for authors?
    Yes but only on the income from the book sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I don't get the advertising argument and anyone with a corporate financial brain in their head should say the same. Tubs is presenting the longest running chat show of its type in the world. People tune in out of sheer habit. I could start presenting with my awkward Cork head and still get an audience. He is such a poor interviewer too it's laughable. Unless it's in a cue card he's lost. He's not everyones cup of tea but to see the difference with Tommy Tiernan interviewing. It's so natural to him and so unnatural to tubs.

The long running threads on boards show a lot of people listen to Joe Duffy just to laugh at how poor he is. Commanding that salary for that poor quality is crazy.

As has been said, leave them go elsewhere if they really think they're worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Joe Duffy and the liveline has always said it's a discussion on what the nation wants to chat about. It's meant to be listener driven.

Yet they have never had a discussion about rte salaries. Despite it being a big talking point when they are released.

He is obviously afraid to have an honest, on air debate about his salary and worth.

Same goes for Tubs and Darcy. It is never mentioned on their shows
    At the end of the day, you can't blame these people, if someone wanted to pay me half a mill every year then I'd take it too. It's the head of rte who needs to grow a set and take a stand. We all know if these guys had their contracts halved next time they are up for renewal, none of them would leave, cos they still wouldn't a quarter of a mill anywhere else.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »

Rainbow Ryan is as weak as his own chin and that Ray is more like a drop of golden pi$$!!

I cannot believe as a nation that's how far we have fallen, this and operation transform the nation!!! for the worse...they wouldn't be fit to hold the rule book in a bingo hall pub quiz any of them.

Ryan "tears from fears" Tubridy emself....Friday nights exercise in social engineering..FFS wanker.

Tubridy should be on children's TV presenter salary, because that's all he's capable of doing.

In the last 5 years of huge political turmoil, I don't think there's been one panel debate on the late late show about the impact of Brexit or Trump. What happened to those great debates that the LLS used to be known for, with audience questions for the panelists.

And instead of any serious analysis of Biden's election, on Friday night, you can bet Tubridy will instead be Zooming to Mayo to chat with his relatives and ask them the crucial question... "How Irish does Joe feel, go one tell us, does he feel.........90% Irish??!!.... HAH!!"

Just one example of a stupid tubridy interview: jack black:
    First question:

“So your parents are rocket scientists”
    Jack (slightly confused)“ er no, they’re not rocket scientists”

Thomas Jacob Black[1] was born in Santa Monica, California,[2] on August 28, 1969,[3] the son of satellite engineers Thomas William Black and Judith Love Cohen.[4] He was raised in Hermosa Beach, California. His mother worked on the Hubble Space Telescope and was also a writer.

SeaFields wrote: »
    I don't get the advertising argument and anyone with a corporate financial brain in their head should say the same. Tubs is presenting the longest running chat show of its type in the world. People tune in out of sheer habit. I could start presenting with my awkward Cork head and still get an audience. He is such a poor interviewer too it's laughable. Unless it's in a cue card he's lost. He's not everyones cup of tea but to see the difference with Tommy Tiernan interviewing. It's so natural to him and so unnatural to tubs.

The long running threads on boards show a lot of people listen to Joe Duffy just to laugh at how poor he is. Commanding that salary for that poor quality is crazy.

As has been said, leave them go elsewhere if they really think they're worth it.

When he got the gig Ian dempsey said he’d be “found out” straight away :)

rusty cole wrote: »
    Rainbow Ryan is as weak as his own chin and that Ray is more like a drop of golden pi$$!!

I cannot believe as a nation that's how far we have fallen, this and operation transform the nation!!! for the worse...they wouldn't be fit to hold the rule book in a bingo hall pub quiz any of them.

Ryan "tears from fears" Tubridy emself....Friday nights exercise in social engineering..FFS wanker.

Today fm were done with ray and played hardball with rte hence the high salary , rte lost that one

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Sunday Independent today, in 2019

120 staff on over 100,000€
    24 of them between 150-250,000€
    98 between 100,150,000€

What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

RTE is a gravey train where people are paid crazy money and you get a sweet gig in 2FM if you are Gerry Ryans daughter.

Paying Tubirdy and Darcy a couple of hundred grand a year while the station is losing money is just obscene.

Advertisement