Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I have trouble wrapping my head around Margaret's accent sometimes tbh. I'm not Irish but it still sounds off to me. Then again I wouldn't be the most familiar with Kerry accents..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Hedman

liah wrote: »
    I have trouble wrapping my head around Margaret's accent sometimes tbh. I'm not Irish but it still sounds off to me. Then again I wouldn't be the most familiar with Kerry accents..

It's not just you, i can't get my head around it either tbh. It's begun to remind me of Tom Cruise in Far and Away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I noticed when the FBI agent was looking at her file her birthplace was Galway :pac:

Anyways, that actress is Scottish and I find her accent to be a bit weird sometimes. She really pronounces her "Tees" very strongly, sounds like a child trying to speak posh.

Perhaps she's trying to lend some authenticity via an old-timey accent? :pac: Though none of the American accents are attempting to sound particularly old-fashioned so I suppose that wouldn't be it.

I really like the actress (Trainspotting, Choke.. she was in an Irish film, too, wasn't she?) but that accent bugs me.

I noticed the Galway bit too, confused me even more as she's stated she's meant to be from Kerry! Perhaps Galway's just where she departed from?

It's just over-enunciated, though somehow not in the typical Oirish way. Could be worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I noticed when the FBI agent was looking at her file her birthplace was Galway :pac:

Anyways, that actress is Scottish and I find her accent to be a bit weird sometimes. She really pronounces her "Tees" very strongly, sounds like a child trying to speak posh.

Her accent is off - only thing I can think of is that being Irish stateside pre-JFK wasn't something to boast about. Pretending to be a bit exotic might have been the smart thing for a lady to do. Other than that, she might just be crap at accents :)
    Apart from that, great show.

It's just over-enunciated, though somehow not in the typical Oirish way. Could be worse.

I'm just glad she's not spouting the usual "Oirish" religious sayings at the end of every sentence like "as sure as dee bless-edd Var-gen Mary wood have it!" or "Dee Lard have Marcy on ye! To bee shar, to be shar!"

Her dialogue is fine, just that accent is a bit weird sometimes. I get the Irish twang but, like I said, the way she pronounces some words I find distracting. Not in a bad way that drags the show down but just that I can't help noticing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

she's doing the exact same accent that she did in intermission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

maybe stephen graham should introduce her to his voice coach

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I want to see more of this Richard sniper character....he's very interesting!

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »
    she's doing the exact same accent that she did in intermission

Her accent in Intermission was more authentic + she was utterly stunning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Loving this show, Jimmy's character developtment has been really well done, the character I find to be the most underdeveloped is ironally Nucky himself, aside from having an asshole for a father theres no real reasons given of why or how he got into politics (I dont think)

Agree about the Richard character, more of him next season, if hes not dead by the end of this one that is. Not enough Omar, sorry, Chalky either, after his amazing "I aint building no bookcase" scene he hasnt really done much.

Its good to see a tv show where the female characters are more developed as well, nearly eery female character has an important role to play, theres nobody there for just window dressing (well except Nuckys previous squeeze, I think she'll have something else to do by the end of season though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

krudler wrote: »
    Loving this show, Jimmy's character developtment has been really well done, the character I find to be the most underdeveloped is ironally Nucky himself, aside from having an asshole for a father theres no real reasons given of why or how he got into politics (I dont think)

I can't agree. Every episode we're subtly exposed to more about Nucky and how he sees himself, a politican who is at once realistic and uncomfortable about his role as a mob boss. The episode 'Home' also gave us way more than just the fact Nucky has daddy issues - it was Eli who his father had celebrated with trophies and pictures on his wall, even though he obviously got wher he was because of Nucky. He's always been the lesser of the two in his family life and that explains alot of why he's so quick to put Eli down, like before and at the Order's St. Patrick's Day dinner.

Him being with Margaret is laden with meaning too, a replacement for his dead wife and baby, almost his, but not quite.

There's so much more, but needless to say Nucky is easily the most well developed character in the show and it's been relayed to us in rather brilliant fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

van alden is a strange strange man. good episode.

Syferus wrote: »
    I can't agree. Every episode we're subtly exposed to more about Nucky and how he sees himself, a politican who is at once realistic and uncomfortable about his role as a mob boss. The episode 'Home' also gave us way more than just the fact Nucky has daddy issues - it was Eli who his father had celebrated with trophies and pictures on his wall, even though he obviously got wher he was because of Nucky. He's always been the lesser of the two in his family life and that explains alot of why he's so quick to put Eli down, like before and at the Order's St. Patrick's Day dinner.

Him being with Margaret is laden with meaning too, a replacement for his dead wife and baby, almost his, but not quite.

There's so much more, but needless to say Nucky is easily the most well developed character in the show and it's been relayed to us in rather brilliant fashion.

Well thats me told :pac:

This is a series thats definintely worth a rewatch once all the episodes are available, anyone know when the blu rays are out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Her accent in Intermission was more authentic + she was utterly stunning!

She supposed to be from Kerry in this where she was from west Dublin in intermission? Different accents entirely. Plus it was probaly easier to pick up an Irish accent when the entire cast and flim location is Irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Her actress Kelly MacDonald who is Scottish did an Irish accent in Intermission which was more convincing, her accent in BE annoyed me for a while but I'm liking her so far as a character, I think the second season could see her going up against political opponents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭coniosumadre

Lets call a spade a spade,this show is absolute pants..More boring rubbish from terence winter after the snoozefest that was Sopranos season 5 and 6......Has to go down as the biggest waste of money in television history,they completley forgot to write any sort of a story..BORING PANTS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I agree with the above. This show is all style and no substance.
    It's like Madmen if it was completely devoid of charisma.

Though I liked Soprano's season 5. Buscemi's character was a great foil to Tony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Can't agree with the above 2 posts - I find the writing very good and the pacing perfect. Plenty of character development and it's clear they're in it for the long haul.

Lets call a spade a spade,this show is absolute pants..More boring rubbish from terence winter after the snoozefest that was Sopranos season 5 and 6......Has to go down as the biggest waste of money in television history,they completley forgot to write any sort of a story..BORING PANTS!

Everyones entitles to an opinion, no matter how wrong it is ;)

• Advertisement

gustavo wrote: »
    Can't agree with the above 2 posts - I find the writing very good and the pacing perfect. Plenty of character development and it's clear they're in it for the long haul.

Right. Prohibition lasted from 1920-33. We're only at the starting gates here - Al Capone is still a jumped up driver and Meyer Lansky is barely on the radar. Everyone knows about Al's future career. As for Lansky, along with Lucky Luciano he was the architect of the modern mob in America. Those aren't spoliers, they're historical fact.
    If Boardwalk Empire covers even a fraction of that 13 year period, we're in for a hell of a ride.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭coniosumadre

ha ha,i think a lot of people here are still in the denial stage about this show,because after the hype and the trailers and the team behind it....How could they possibly **** it up???People are really clutching at straws when giving the reasons why they like it!!!Whoever was making the point about being in it for the long haul,and itll all kick off by season 3 takes first prize.....Not just me who thinks like this...Do some google searches for the american reviews of it,,,and you'll find the truth(hard and all as it may be to swallow)!

ha ha,i think a lot of people here are still in the denial stage about this show,because after the hype and the trailers and the team behind it....How could they possibly **** it up???People are really clutching at straws when giving the reasons why they like it!!!Whoever was making the point about being in it for the long haul,and itll all kick off by season 3 takes first prize.....Not just me who thinks like this...Do some google searches for the american reviews of it,,,and you'll find the truth(hard and all as it may be to swallow)!

What that its well written, well acted and a good show? The Wire was a slow burning show too, now its considered by many to be the greatest tv show ever.

awful stench of troll in here today:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

ha ha,i think a lot of people here are still in the denial stage about this show,because after the hype and the trailers and the team behind it....How could they possibly **** it up???)!

Hadn't even heard any hype or anything about it until someone mentioned it on boards,so I watched it and its brilliant imo.
    Whoever was making the point about being in it for the long haul,and itll all kick off by season 3 takes first prize

Its a bit of a slow burner but no one mentioned anything about it only kicking off in season 3. It has well kicked off and the last few episode have been great,really moving along nicely. Everything doesn't have to be fast and furious with major action and rushed plot. The other poster mentioned they had plenty of material to use for many seasons but as for this season things are developing really well.
    Not just me who thinks like this...Do some google searches for the american reviews of it,,,and you'll find the truth(hard and all as it may be to swallow)

This is one of the most ridiculous comments I have heard on here. So just because a few others agree with you mean that you are fully right? I guess that means the ones on here that agree with me when I say it is a great show means that you are fully wrong? Its a matter of opinion. People like different things and a few people have given reasons why they like the show whereas you seem to think a google search of reviews confirms your opinion that the show is terrible. Get out! :rolleyes:

I hope Harrow is kept around for another season, hes a great character, you couldnt help but feel sorry for him when the little girl was screaming at his appearance and all he could do was apologise to her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

People actually think its boring?!?

Anyway, another brilliant episode. I find Knuckys relationship with Margaret so strange, he speaks to her as if she was a child or something.

Nelson....christ on a bike, that man is all sorts of strange. I'm guessing he might get some information on Knucky from Knuckys ex.

Jimmys' line..."Well I wasnt going to, but you kind of talked me into it". He's a great character.

All in all, great story telling.

Boring....pffft.

I dunno, maybe this show doesn't suit everyone's expectations but I'm truly enjoying this show's pace. There's no side story I have no interest in, the acting is top notch, the characters are ace (Van Alden is great, Jimmy I wasn't so sure of at first but now I understand and believe his transformation and you feel bad for Harrow, poor bugger)

The only problem I have is that there's not enough Chalky, he's a very take-no-shìt character. But I imagine he'll eventually become more prominent.

It's a slow burner but not to the point where it's at a snail pace, there's a huge amount of material to be covered here and I appreciate that they're not flying and skimming over it. That era of America is wildy interesting and vital to how mobs ran the underground and influenced politics.

Al Capone changing from his wee cap into a proper hat was a nice touch of the penny finally dropping of what he wants. I imagine season 2 will focus on him climbing the ladder.

All in all, best TV Show at the moment and it hasn't disappointed me at all like the other over-hyped The Pacific. I went into that with an open mind but left with a sour taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

After watching Rubicon this is fairly quickly paced. I dont understand peoples impatience with having it all straight away. Just enjoy the story, if you dont like the way its told then its just not for you.

To add on the most recent episode; the scene in the synagogue, where Al realises he needs to cop on if he wants to move up, was nicely done. As was his apology to his boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Decent episode. Is there a bit of a double double-cross coming up with Doyle do ye think?

• Advertisement

Richard Harrow is a terrific and highly interesting character, i hope he dosen't get knocked off defending the kids from a home attacker!

As for pacing, it's perfectly fine for me, as someone said if you can sit through Rubicon then this show is a breeze :-)

Ouch!....this guy dosen't like BE: http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/11/25/tvs-biggest-turkeys-of-2010/

'Boardwalk Empire' Arrives! ... Meh
    HBO, drama about organized crime in Atlantic City, Martin Scorsese directing the pilot, gobs of cash to make the production look like Prohibition era Atlantic City, Steve Freakin' Buscemi as the lead ... how could it lose? And yet, while it definitely isn't a loser -- it was renewed for a second season well ahead of its Dec. 5 season one finale -- 'Boardwalk Empire' just hasn't proven itself to be must-see TV. Acting's good, sets are good, Buscemi's good, but there have been weeks where we've DVR-ed an episode and not made time to watch it before the next one aired. Just, you know, meh.

^ dunno, i get some of the points made here, about pacing, style over substance etc. - it's really about opinion and taste, what you look for or what you EXPECTED Boardwalk Empire to be.

I think some folks expected a 1920's gangster gunfest with lots of action and fights.

Point taken on people's expectations. However, BE has risen above mine.
    The 1920s in the USA was not a Jimmy Cagney style gunfest (Cagney himself was working as a female impersonator in NYC at the time). It was when the Kennedy fortune was seriously established in Boston via mob links and bootlegging, the modern (ie. Coppola's Godfather style mob was established) and ultimately overt political graft was exposed for what it was (like it or lump it).
    For now, I'm happy with how the series is developing as a drama and an "accidental" history lesson at the same time. Trolls aside, I think this is one worth watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

ok she's vain we get it

Van Alden....absolute HEADCASE!!, bloody hell....jesus freak!!, he's just creepy beyond belief, killed his partner in the name of R LAWD!, the frank exchange between Nucky and Margaret was brilliant....there relationship and everything else was all laid out in that scene.

I agree with Nuckys brother she is a liability, if she grows a conscience and Van Alden gets his mits on her...Nucky is toast!, Jimmys wife and the other wife going to Paris...what happened there?

Did she just change her mind and do a bunk or did Jimmy read his wifes letter and Jimmy sent her packing?....bit confused what happened with that.

Solid ep. though i can't see any major action or plot developments in next weeks finale, as much as i like the series a bit more action would be welcome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Have to catch up on this ight now, im about 4 episodes behind, see ye in 4 hours:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

solid episode. bring on the season finale

Yea Van Alden is a certified mentaller :)

Van Alden is definitely my favourite character. Fùck, what a fruit cake! One of these days he's going to explode in an insane rage.

Can't wait for next week! :D

• Advertisement

was it van alden's intention before going into the water to murder his sidekick or did he genuinely want to cleanse his soul and got carried away

A bit of both, i think he took serious issue with him being a Jew, not beliving in heaven but enbrace hell. I think he sort of half planned it, he strongly suspected he killed the witness + maybe a part of him wanted to wash away his sins, but i think mostly likely he's a jesus freak and killed him in the name of god.

I actually think this has been one of the most interesting episodes yet. If not the most interesting. I actually had time to relate to the characters since there finally weren't about 100 of them every 5 minutes.

Very curious to see what'll happen with Eli, Margaret, Van Alden.. fantastic ep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

With the ways it's going Margaret will play a huge role in the next season I reckon.

Van Alden is also great.

did nuckey know that the fbi guys would come across the baptism site and this would stir van alden's mad faith and remind him how he distrusted his Jewish partner?

which would lead too...

thats foresight!

I can't imagine that would be the case but it would be cool if it was

Also an interview with Michael Shannon where he says Van Alden didn't plan on killing Sebso

http://www.hbo.com/boardwalk-empire/episodes/01/11-paris-green/interview/interview-with-michael-shannon?cmpid=ABC461

• Advertisement

gustavo wrote: »
    I can't imagine that would be the case but it would be cool if it was

Also an interview with Michael Shannon where he says Van Alden didn't plan on killing Sebso

http://www.hbo.com/boardwalk-empire/episodes/01/11-paris-green/interview/interview-with-michael-shannon?cmpid=ABC461

I don't believe him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I have to agree with some of those criticising the show. I have stuck with it in the hopes it would get really good but for the most part I am finding it all a bit boring. I won't be watching season 2.

Yes, The Wire started off a bit slow but that was only the first few episodes but you knew even then the story was building up towards the finale and the characters and writing were just fantastic. This show is absolutely nothing compared to The Wire.

It's not just action this show needs, it's just for anything at all interesting to happen. Besides a few things like Van Alden drowning his partner not much is happening. Scenes with Margaret Schroeder are just snooze, couldn't give a fuck about her and can't stand her stupid accent.

Just my opinion.....

the mind games between them and nuckeys ability to scheme are what is interesting

Sesaon finale now...thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Sesaon finale now...thoughts?

What do you think?

• Advertisement
Advertisement