Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

10th Annual White Christmas Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Well, 8.5 days out and at least I can say its still a possibility we might get a white one in parts. Usually by now our goose (or turkey if you prefer) is well cooked and the only question is whether the temperature will dip into single fingures at any stage on the big day. Alas it looks like it will be fairly cool (if not downright cold) one this year as things stand.

Up to date model guidance shows as follows (these are upper air temps):-

ECM:-

19122500_1600.gif

GFS:-

19122518_1518.gif

The GFS in particular, showing -5's and -6's widely over the country, is of interest. That's in the ball park of what you'd need for snow. Certainly you are looking at top temps on the day in the low single figures so seasonal anyway.

No snow currently forecast (and let's face it, that's how it is likely to stay - we get snow forecast for about 3 days a year and 2/3's of them are a bust usually!) but still time to upgrade. Alas the weather is pretty mobile (with 24 hourly variations from cold to mild) so it wouldn't take much for this cold weather to be delayed or brought forward by a day such that we end up with a milder day. Alas even the milder days forecast for the foreseeable won't make it to double figures so no repeat hopefully of recent horrible, mild, Xmas days....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Once its cold and dry, everyone will be satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

GFSOPUK06_216_25.png

Well, would you look at that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Danno wrote: »
    GFSOPUK06_216_25.png

Well, would you look at that!

I just see green :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I just see green :confused:

Thats all you'll see Christmas morning and all.

• Advertisement

ECM trying to make a fool of my post above. Is going for a quite mild xmas now! The GFS 6z is still cold though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

Mild is trying to push up but cold keeps pushing it back

We are in the borderline as usual.

Britain might be colder but i think the best we might get is a frosty morning but rain showers by day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

pauldry wrote: »
    Mild is trying to push up but cold keeps pushing it back

We are in the borderline as usual.

Britain might be colder but i think the best we might get is a frosty morning but rain showers by day

There will be no white Christmas this year but possibly a chance of a white New Year`s Eve/New Year`s Day on high ground at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Currently looking like a bang on average or slightly below Christmas period temperature wise overall but it's fluid at the moment. Looks mostly dry (just about) today. It will be a different story later today and then tomorrow. Will have a firmer grasp on Thursday or Friday hopefully.

gens-21-6-192.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

CHRISTMAS PODCAST 1f399.png Will we have a white Christmas? The Christmas edition of the Met Éireann Podcast has just been released and Liz & Noel are digging into all things snow! P.s. if we get 1,000 listens today a white Christmas is more likely! 2744.png1f385.pnghttps://www.met.ie/education/podcast …

• Advertisement

CHRISTMAS PODCAST 1f399.png Will we have a white Christmas? The Christmas edition of the Met Éireann Podcast has just been released and Liz & Noel are digging into all things snow! P.s. if we get 1,000 listens today a white Christmas is more likely! 2744.png1f385.pnghttps://www.met.ie/education/podcast …

switched off after about 40 seconds,turned into nationwide,i dont want to hear someone ****in on about a choir,answer the bloody question,will there be a white christmas.

Well a week to go and the Xmas day weather is still very unclear.

Our own MT opines as follows in his thread today:-

"...The outlook for the holiday period is still somewhat undecided with rather different guidance available from the various models. Some want to bring several more active low pressure areas through the country around the 24th and 26th with frequent outbreaks of rain and at least moderately strong winds. Others have more of a settled look with high pressure becoming dominant. I think the unsettled versions have more chance of being right, and would say the weather over the holidays is likely to be at least damp, if not wet, and temperatures at least average if not a little above (7 to 10 C range). "

HOWEVER
    , the very latest guidance just this mid morning from the GFS shows a far cooler outcome with frost lingering for much of Xmas day and temps in the low single figures for the bulk of the day. See:-

Upper temps

gfseuw-1-168.png?6

2m Temps

gfseuw-9-168.png?6

Alas it would be dry in most of the country with rain, rather than snow, falling in parts of the north. Still, you might get a half white christmas through frost or even some sleet / wet snow from a set up like that. Sort of in the right ball park anyway.

The ECM overnight shows somewhere in the middle of those two outcomes as follows:-

Uppers

ECU0-168.GIF

Nothing particularly mild about that set up either with temps likely to stay in single figures throughout that day and maybe even a frost in parts.

So, relative to recent years, still on for a seasonal Xmas day! And with 7 days still to go you can't yet quite rule out, well, you know.....:)

YES!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

There will be no white Christmas this year but possibly a chance of a white New Year`s Eve/New Year`s Day on high ground at least.
    A frosty Christmas is the best we can hope for but there is a good chance of a white New Year's Eve and not just confined to high ground when the easterly blast sets in - the charts just aren't showing it yet as its nearly two weeks away. :P

12z GFS keeps the theme of relative cold from 23rd to 25th which is nice and seasonal. No snow forecast but I'll take cold at this stage. Hopefully no more changes in outlook from here.

The morning model suite keeps the theme going of a relatively cool / cold Christmas day. The GFS shows it not quite as cold as it was showing yesterday whilst the ECM has gone the other way and moved from its mild prediction of yesterday to similar to the GFS this morning (-3 or -4 uppers or so). Temps will be in single figures and might be frosts each of Xmas Eve and Xmas Night. The below chart is minimum temps (at ground level, not uppers) at noon and shows you could even get a frost lingering all day in places so a white Christmas of a sort (no snow alas). I will take that anyday after recent years.

19122512_1900.gif

Aaahhhhhh! After all that, the ECM and GFS are now agreed on a storm visiting us on Xmas day coming up from the Azores. Starting cool but getting milder all day with rain and wind spreading from the SW. If this is correct I think I officially give up.........

Edit:- I note MT this morning paints a slightly less grim picture. I may be misreading the models (I aint great at reading charts Im afraid)

****!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

UK sources are giving the unsettled weather arriving later than Christmas Day, but most of Ireland will still be looking at around 7C by day and far from dazzling sunshine. Wet and windy then for the following few days, no fun for Racing enthusiasts.

All in all, a grand Christmas to be travelling and staying safer on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Larbre34 wrote: »
    UK sources are giving the unsettled weather arriving later than Christmas Day, but most of Ireland will still be looking at around 7C by day and far from dazzling sunshine. Wet and windy then for the following few days, no fun for Racing enthusiasts.

All in all, a grand Christmas to be travelling and staying safer on the roads.

That is good news so. 7 degrees is perfect Christmas weather. Not to hot or to cold.

• Advertisement

Still variable weather Christmas day with temperatures as low as -3c Christmas Eve so Santa will be happy. There could be even a stray wintry shower Christmas eve night like hail or freezing rain so its not over yet...even this close

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Still variable weather Christmas day with temperatures as low as -3c Christmas Eve so Santa will be happy. There could be even a stray wintry shower Christmas eve night like hail or freezing rain so its not over yet...even this close

Sorry but as far as Christmas Day this year is concerned it is over. Just a year away from the 10th anniversary of the late November to late December 2010 big freeze so maybe some people can start to get their hopes up for a white Christmas in 2020.

As this thread stumbles towards its finale it somewhat reminds me of the scene from a Simpsons episode,where Homer chases a roast pig,desperately proclaiming ''ITS STILL GOOD,ITS STILL GOOD''

All joking aside both the GFS and ECM showing a cold xmas day as of this evening so Im happy with that. Amazing how all over the place the models have been though.

For once Im looking forward to lighting the fire on Xmas day without making the house uncomfortably warm!

A frosty morning with ice on Christmas morning is still possible so no...its not over. Maybe it is in Cork as boring weather down there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Christmas day is going to be fairly chilly indeed. Only 2 or 3C in parts of Leinster and 4 or 5C everywhere else.

12_96_uk2mtmp.png?cb=2

96-580UK.GIF?21-12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

We’ll take that happily :)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

https://mobile.twitter.com/TWOweather/status/1208512438469058561

EMV_qAjXsAECjo6?format=png&name=900x900

Might see something snowy this Christmas afterall!

See if you believe the snow (and Santa) will come

• Advertisement

The cold dry settled weather that Met Eireann had promised for Christmas is looking wetter and wetter. Also min on Christmas Eve now minus 1 not minus 3.

Advertisement