Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin's 24h bus services

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cgcsb wrote: »
    Disappointed none of the heaving 39/37/70 routes were included but that's the luck of the draw. I guess they're doing it in December to get the max passengers.
    they may be heaving during rush hour, but that does not necessarily make them an obvious first choice for a 24 hour service though?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

they may be heaving during rush hour, but that does not necessarily make them an obvious first choice for a 24 hour service though?

From 9pm until the last bus they are heaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Will the 41N be done away with on Friday and Saturday nights now? The 33N will have to continue.

Abbey Street is not necessarily ideal, but for a €2.50 spin to the airport, people will make their way there regardless.

This also opens up a whole swathe of the Swords corridor accommodation to be particularly attractive to airport workers, many of whom rely on pooling taxis to get to the airport.

The 41/A/B/C/N/X's are always heaving, morning noon and night so it is a good route to start.

Another factor is the late 41s will provide a much needed alternative into Dublin for the late arriving flights around and after midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

No street is safe in the city, funny the amount of Garda stations in such close proximity but yet the street is over run with scum.

Will bus connects change this?

You know the way it's said bus connects improves services well that's untrue as the route 14 as is now will be losing frequency.

It's actually went from a poor service to a very good one.

With bus connects it's going backwards.

How so?
    The route the 14 takes will be identical to the D spine (every 5 mins @ midday) up til the junction of Collins Ave & Malahide Rd. The only part not serviced is the U-shaped section encompassing Collins Ave, Beaumont, Artane Castle.

If you want to go along Collins Ave you can walk or take the N4 Killester - Finglas cross city route (every 15 mins). If you're going to the Hospital, stay on the D until the Goblet then switch to the N6 (every 15 mins).

Seems like a major improvement to me than having the current system where there are 7 or 8 routes* currently serving the same route bar small differences?

*(14, 15, 27, 27a, 27b, 42, 43)

• Advertisement

How so?
    The route the 14 takes will be identical to the D spine (every 5 mins @ midday) up til the junction of Collins Ave & Malahide Rd. The only part not serviced is the U-shaped section encompassing Collins Ave, Beaumont, Artane Castle.

If you want to go along Collins Ave you can walk or take the N4 Killester - Finglas cross city route (every 15 mins). If you're going to the Hospital, stay on the D until the Goblet then switch to the N6 (every 15 mins).

Seems like a major improvement to me than having the current system where there are 7 or 8 routes* currently serving the same route bar small differences?

*(14, 15, 27, 27a, 27b, 42, 43)

Over the south side it's losing frequency....

Not everyone that uses it is on the north side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

do the 15/41 stop at all the same stops on the route or is it a direct shuttle from city center to swords/airport?
    Can you also get on 41 after 11:30pm back into town or is it one way from town Northbound from city center?

Over the south side it's losing frequency....

Not everyone that uses it is on the north side.

Apologies, not familiar with the route on the southside. Probably better off asking your question in the bus-connects thread anyway, though according to the site the 14 route has improved frequency on every leg of ts journey bar the Barton road - city centre section. This section is served by the A2 spine, though, so you can just go that way and change buses. Again, maybe check the dedicated thread.
    showpony1 wrote: »
    do the 15/41 stop at all the same stops on the route or is it a direct shuttle from city center to swords/airport?
    Can you also get on 41 after 11:30pm back into town or is it one way from town Northbound from city center?

They're two different routes, don't share any bus stops at all, I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

They're two different routes, don't share any bus stops at all, I don't think.

i know but do they stop at all bus stops as normally would throughout day, and could you get on the 15 back into town in middle of night from north side.

Ah, I get ya.

Yes, as far as I know it's the exact route as the day buses and they run in both directions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Great to hear that it will be every 30 minutes.
    markpb wrote: »
    I agree about the location but keeping the routing the same day and night simplifies things for customers.

I agree that there is a simplicity to keeping things consistent. However it doesn't seem to be an issue for people in London, who are well use to night routes, nor is it an issue for the current 41/41n users.

I suppose the easy solution would be to move the 41 to operate from Westmorland Street 24/7.

After all, under Busconnects, the 41 becomes the A4, which will be operating via Westmoreland St anyway.

Which raises an interesting question, what happens under Busconnect. The 41 becomes the A4 serving Swords, but won't serve the Airport any more. The 16 becomes the A2, but doesn't serve the Airport.

So will both the A2 and A4 become 24/7 services? Will folks coming from Swords to the airport overnight need to change from the A4 to the A2 to get to the airport!

Surely some sort of A-N or A (night) service serving Swords - Airport - City - Rathmines would make more sense. Thus going back to different routes at night.

I'd just worry that it won't be visible hidden away over on Abbey Street. And that might lead to low usership, which might lead to an excuse for them to kill it. At least move it to Eden Quay.

I've been informed that I was wrong on the 14 as it has since changed again or I was looking at the old version....

It's going to 10-15 minutes frequency which is around what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

cgcsb wrote:
    Disappointed none of the heaving 39/37/70 routes were included but that's the luck of the draw. I guess they're doing it in December to get the max passengers.

I have my own theory that it might be to do with the amount of income the 39N generates over the Christmas season .........

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭haulier

Is the 46A not involved in the pre Xmas role out of 24 hr t/tables ? I thought there was a Donnybrook route involved, or maybe it was the 145 ??

haulier wrote: »
    Is the 46A not involved in the pre Xmas role out of 24 hr t/tables ? I thought there was a Donnybrook route involved, or maybe it was the 145 ??

Heard rumour of 155 but heard no more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭Joker2019

Could be the 15 not sure will the overnight duties on it be Donnybrook, Harristown or based in both as they are during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

bk wrote: »
    Great to hear that it will be every 30 minutes.

I agree that there is a simplicity to keeping things consistent. However it doesn't seem to be an issue for people in London, who are well use to night routes, nor is it an issue for the current 41/41n users.

I suppose the easy solution would be to move the 41 to operate from Westmorland Street 24/7.

After all, under Busconnects, the 41 becomes the A4, which will be operating via Westmoreland St anyway.

Which raises an interesting question, what happens under Busconnect. The 41 becomes the A4 serving Swords, but won't serve the Airport any more. The 16 becomes the A2, but doesn't serve the Airport.

So will both the A2 and A4 become 24/7 services? Will folks coming from Swords to the airport overnight need to change from the A4 to the A2 to get to the airport!

Surely some sort of A-N or A (night) service serving Swords - Airport - City - Rathmines would make more sense. Thus going back to different routes at night.

I'd just worry that it won't be visible hidden away over on Abbey Street. And that might lead to low usership, which might lead to an excuse for them to kill it. At least move it to Eden Quay.

Your overthinking this, people who want to use the bus 24/7 know where Abbey St is plus DB will probably do a bit of advertising. Moving to Westmorland St now 24/7 would result in longer journey times and its already very busy around there, not forgetting the passengers on Gardiner St. Also none of this crap with driver changing at Parnell St.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Your overthinking this, people who want to use the bus 24/7 know where Abbey St is plus DB will probably do a bit of advertising. Moving to Westmorland St now 24/7 would result in longer journey times and its already very busy around there, not forgetting the passengers on Gardiner St. Also none of this crap with driver changing at Parnell St.

I don't think pointing out that the 41 will be gone under Busconnects is overthinking things and wondering how it will be dealt with!

I'd say that if they just run it out of Abbey Street that it would show that the planners haven't thought about it at all and have shown themselves to be incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I don't think pointing out that the 41 will be gone under Busconnects is overthinking things and wondering how it will be dealt with!

I'd say that if they just run it out of Abbey Street that it would show that the planners haven't thought about it at all and have shown themselves to be incompetent.

You know full what which bit I was referring to. Bus Connects is all well and good if it happens.

Sending a bus that runs every 15 minutes though O'Connell St and around to Westmoreland Street would lead to a lot more congestion plus parking is required for about 15 minutes. Don't get me wrong there might be a case for doing it between 00.00-05.00 to capture more people however I don't think it will make or break the service in terms of usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

what why on earth the 41 the airport is the best connected place in Dublin ( edit : outside An Lar ) already , I thought this was supposed to launch on the 39 route as its savage crowding all day long anyway

15 why bother the south side maybe the ballycullen end but its stretching it - cant see it - northside maybe lots of apartments aroun Fr Collins park

surely a 77 would have been better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

trellheim wrote:
    what why on earth the 41 the airport is the best connected place in Dublin ( edit : outside An Lar ) already , I thought this was supposed to launch on the 39 route as its savage crowding all day long anyway

I was told that myself as well but according the NTA, the 39A, is in the plans to upgrade to 24 hours after the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

trellheim wrote: »

15 why bother the south side maybe the ballycullen end but its stretching it - cant see it - northside maybe lots of apartments aroun Fr Collins park

surely a 77 would have been better

16 would make more sense but I'm guessing they wanted to serve Rathmines and Malahide Rd.

my towncentric 5c but rathmines and the malahide road handy cycle in I used to work on O'Connell St till 0300 and cycle back to Templeogue - that said yes its not for everyone but this isnt demand led there's something else here.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

Early 2020 i hear in the depot.

what why on earth the 41 the airport is the best connected place in Dublin ( edit : outside An Lar ) already

Serving the airport was always the most sensible route to start this on. Lots of tourists and workers heading to the airport at night. It will always be busy.

While the airport is partly served overnight, it is served by expensive services that only serve the city center and not the areas in between. In particular they don't really suit the people working at the airport.

This is meant to be a cheaper, normal bus service to the airport, like the 16 and 41.

A lot of my neighbours are actually pilots and cabin crew, they will love this service. They already take the 16/41 there during the day, now they will also be able to take it at night.
    IE 222 wrote: »
    16 would make more sense but I'm guessing they wanted to serve Rathmines and Malahide Rd.

41 (or better the 41n :p ) makes a lot of sense too, lots of people in Swords work at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Serving the airport was always the most sensible route to start this on. Lots of tourists and workers heading to the airport at night. It will always be busy.

While the airport is partly served overnight, it is served by expensive services that only serve the city center and not the areas in between. In particular they don't really suit the people working at the airport.

This is meant to be a cheaper, normal bus service to the airport, like the 16 and 41.

A lot of my neighbours are actually pilots and cabin crew, they will love this service. They already take the 16/41 there during the day, now they will also be able to take it at night.

41 (or better the 41n :p ) makes a lot of sense too, lots of people in Swords work at the airport.

I was referring to the 15. But a 16 skipping Beaumont and doing the Swords part of the 41 would of been ideal, 2 routes covered in 1. During the early hours it wouldn't add much more than 15 mins onto the route.

IE 222 wrote: »
    I was referring to the 15. But a 16 skipping Beaumont and doing the Swords part of the 41 would of been ideal, 2 routes covered in 1. During the early hours it wouldn't add much more than 15 mins onto the route.

Yep, that was what I was suggesting once BusConnects happens, an A-N route that combines the A2 (16) and A4 (41) almost exactly like the above.

For all the core routes, I think it will make more sense to have dedicated night routes on each corridor that combines the most sensible parts of the daytime routes. A-N, B-N, C-N, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭alentejo

24 hour bus routes in Dublin. The most positive enhancement of PT for a long time.

Your definition of sensible and mine are very different. The 39 was chosen for 24 hour because it loads solid all the time and serves an awesomely badly served blanch corridor which has a huge need for the lower paid to get into town for earlies

Airport has best supply of taxis, 7x7 , and Aircoach ( which do a worker discount or used to when I was there ) 41 already runs from 0500..

Some deal was done here by the NTA

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Your definition of sensible and mine are very different. The 39 was chosen for 24 hour because it loads solid all the time and serves an awesomely badly served blanch corridor which has a huge need for the lower paid to get into town for earlies

Airport has best supply of taxis, 7x7 , and Aircoach ( which do a worker discount or used to when I was there ) 41 already runs from 0500..

There's a massive number of people living in Swords/Santry and other areas close to the airport, that despite being close to the airport where they may work until late at night or arrive late at night, start work early or have early flights, that have no option but taxis.

That has needed addressing for some time. The closer you are to the airport in Dublin until now, the less chance that you have good public transport around the clock, which really, really doesn't make sense that a lot of the South of Dublin has 24 hour access to the airport, whereas the close surrounding area didn't. I use Aircoach a fair bit and they deserve full credit for operating 24 hour services for over 15 years out of their own pocket when nobody else was interested, but they're absolutely of no help at all to anyone outside the city centre or the South of Dublin.

A large number of airport workers are based close to the airport and some even have to be within a certain distance / time of the airport, and right now they can only use taxis and this new service will give them a cheaper option, more money to spend on things other than taxis and reduce traffic, the only people who really are going to lose out is taxi drivers. The 41 starting at 5am is no use to Dublin based airline staff and many airport workers and passengers and the last bus is also too early for them.

Advertisement