Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Fight Night Events Thread - Spoilers Within

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

surprised shevchenko was favourite for this given who shes fought
    valentina might be a factor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Dern by sub was never in doubt. She's always going to win the scrambles and grab hold of something to twist!

mailburner wrote: »
    surprised shevchenko was favourite for this given who shes fought
    valentina might be a factor

Yeah I agree. I think I bought into that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Whelo79 wrote:
    Yeah he done very well for a debut fight against such a high pressure fighter. Stayed calm and scrambled well.
    Royval wasn't happy with his oerformance after the fight. Kid looks like one that is going to be constantly looking for ways to get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Great card so far anyway.

• Advertisement

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Great card so far anyway.

Definitely. This could be a cracker too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Great scrap

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Great scrap

We are being spoiled tonight. Really entertaining fights from start to finish so far.

Trust the co-main to be the real first stinker. Let's hope we get the exciting, wrecking ball Woodley, and not the timid over cautious one.

Great 1st round for Burns. Can just see Woodley landing with that big over hand right though while he is been backed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Woodley did well to hang in after the difficult first but since all he's done is hang on as the rounds slip away.

Doubtful now he'll come out particularly after nearly getting dropped there but he obviously needs to.

What happened Woodley? From the guy who ran through Robbie Lawlor to the one we have seen over the last 3-4 fights, it's a completely different fighter.

50-44 Woodley should call it a day lost 10 rounds in a row now it's a mental thing with him.

I hope Tyron retires now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

38 years old in a kind of young man's division. As mentioned above, lost 10 rounds in a row. I doubt the hunger is there, he looks a shell of himself.
    He never struck me as someone that particularly liked fighting, so it might be time to bow out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

derfderf wrote: »
    38 years old in a kind of young man's division. As mentioned above, lost 10 rounds in a row. I doubt the hunger is there, he looks a shell of himself.
    He never struck me as someone that particularly liked fighting, so it might be time to bow out.

Sounds like he should hang up the gloves alright based on this:

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1266954967455346688?s=21

His heart just isn’t in the sport anymore it seems. He’ll still go down as one of the greatest welterweights of all time.

would love to know how woodley would have got on if burns, colby and usman were in the div when he started his reign.
    I think all 3 would have taken him quite handy tbh

so he beat robbie then wonderboy twice maia and till
    I just think he around at the right time against fighters that suited
    his style but like so many you can only beat what's there at the time.

maia always struggles against the like woodley, burns colby
    robbie has barely won a fight since
    wonderboy...well at least we won't get to see that one again but razor thin decisions
    Till wasn't ready and had no ground game anyway

before all that he was outclassed by rory and somehow managed to lose to jake shiels (watch that one:confused:)
    The win against Gastelum and condit were good

That might sound disrestpectful and I'm sure comparisons can be made with other past champions but woodley right now at his best would be behind those three I mentioned
    I guess he can take some solace in not having had a loss against colby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

mailburner wrote: »
    would love to know how woodley would have got on if burns, colby and usman were in the div when he started his reign.
    I think all 3 would have taken him quite handy tbh

so he beat robbie then wonderboy twice maia and till
    I just think he around at the right time against fighters that suited
    his style but like so many you can only beat what's there at the time.

maia always struggles against the like woodley, burns colby
    robbie has barely won a fight since
    wonderboy...well at least we won't get to see that one again but razor thin decisions
    Till wasn't ready and had no ground game anyway

before all that he was outclassed by rory and somehow managed to lose to jake shiels (watch that one:confused:)
    The win against Gastelum and condit were good

That might sound disrestpectful and I'm sure comparisons can be made with other past champions but woodley right now at his best would be behind those three I mentioned
    I guess he can take some solace in not having had a loss against colby

Couldn't agree more...

Well I'll disagree, he was a class act and is one of the best welterweightsvof all time. He best all the best and now because he loses two fights poorly in his late thirties everybody suddenly has this weird hindsight?
    The guy is clearly finished but he went the distance despite taking lots of damage.
    I don't think any of them outside of Usman would have been a threat to him in his prime.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It was a majority draw in the first Wonderboy fight and in his win over Condit Condit picked up a freak knee injury. Whether Woodley was the cause I don't really know.

His record is good but one of the best ever I don't know about that. Him even getting the title shot in the first place was based on very weak reasons. A split decision over Gasteleum and then 18 months later beats Lawlor.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well I'll disagree, he was a class act and is one of the best welterweightsvof all time. He best all the best and now because he loses two fights poorly in his late thirties everybody suddenly has this weird hindsight?
    The guy is clearly finished but he went the distance despite taking lots of damage.
    I don't think any of them outside of Usman would have been a threat to him in his prime.

not sure that really matters, there's better fighters out there now and I'm not sure if he declined that much in the space of 6 months between till and usman or from maia to usman even
    It's not an age thing for me anyway, just better competition.

colby imo would have taken his soul the same way usman did but at least for now it means colby won't be wearing that strap

mailburner wrote:
    not sure that really matters, there's better fighters out there now and I'm not sure if he declined that much in the space of 6 months between till and usman or from maia to usman even It's not an age thing for me anyway, just better competition.

colby imo would have taken his soul the same way usman did but at least for now it means colby won't be wearing that strap
    How many Champions can you name in their late thirties? You'll find its a short list. Age does matter
    Colby was ripped apart by Usman, you've nothing only your own opinion on what way a fight between have m and Woodley would go. A prime Woodley Vs Usman would be a great fight, a prime Woodley would ko Covington imo.

How many Champions can you name in their late thirties? You'll find its a short list. Age does matter
    Colby was ripped apart by Usman, you've nothing only your own opinion on what way a fight between have m and Woodley would go. A prime Woodley Vs Usman would be a great fight, a prime Woodley would ko Covington imo.

He was 36 when usman beat him, not that old, there's been a few...silva 38, randy, chuck bisping all older

That fight was even going into the last, one judge even had colby 3-1 up so it was actually a close fight, wouldn't call that being ripped apart

we'll agree to disagree on the woodley colby match up ;)

mailburner wrote:
    He was 36 when usman beat him, not that old, there's been a few...silva 38, randy, chuck bisping all older
    So you admit it's uncommon which means age is a major factor.
    mailburner wrote:
    That fight was even going into the last, one judge even had colby 3-1 up so it was actually a close fight, wouldn't call that being ripped apart
    I don't know what those judges were on, Usman clearly won every round.
    mailburner wrote:
    we'll agree to disagree on the woodley colby match up
    That's fine so long as you realise your opinion is just that.

I don't know what those judges were on, Usman clearly won every round.

plenty would disagree including experts who know a lot more about the game than I do at least

I think colby won at least a round, maybe 2...again just my opinion if I'm allowed one

mailburner wrote:
    you really do love tyron, apologies if my opinion of him offended you which it looks like it did He's still in the top 10 ww of all time (in my opinon of course)
    I don't love Tyron, I just hate poor revisionism.
    You have decided after he loses a fight at 38 years of age to question his whole legacy. Not only that but you are also dismissing Robbie Lawler and Damien Maia.

I don't love Tyron, I just hate poor revisionism.
    You have decided after he loses a fight at 38 years of age to question his whole legacy. Not only that but you are also dismissing Robbie Lawler and Damien Maia.

sure maia is an old man and robbie has won 1 fight in 4 years

nope, I'm only saying that colby or usman (and burns possibly) would have
    beaten tyron in his prime

It's only my opinion of course

woodley wasn't bad though :)

mailburner wrote:
    sure maia is an old man and robbie has won 1 fight in 4 years

nope, I'm only saying that colby or usman (and burns possibly) would have beaten tyron in his prime

It's only my opinion of course

woodley wasn't bad though

You dissed his wins over Lawler and Maia. Then you go on about Covington, whose biggest wins were over an older Lawler and older Maia over the distance, as better than Woodley who beat both of them when they were younger better fighters and ko'd Lawler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Its just my opinion, I think he was good, as for being the best of all time, we would disagree on that point.

When he was training Floyd and they made a point about telling the world he (Tyrone) was the best of all time I gave it some serious thought and decided in my view no, that was not the case.

He was a great fighter when he could dictate the pace, but his hunger for a win seemed to ebb away when faced with serious opposition.

• Advertisement

SlowBlowin wrote:
    He was a great fighter when he could dictate the pace, but his hunger for a win seemed to ebb away when faced with serious opposition.
    What fights are you alluding to where his hunger ebbed away?

Advertisement