Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-11-2018, 21:53   #16
Kermit.de.frog

Thoughts and Prayers.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-11-2018, 21:55   #17
fryup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis Lupus View Post
Sad but that's the US now.
now?? been like that for years
(2) thanks from:
08-11-2018, 21:55   #18
Srameen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wexie View Post
Was there a thread on this before now (like last night perhaps?)

Imagine how bad things have gotten if AH collectively has gotten desensitized to these things.
It's inevitable that we will become desensitised to these shootings. The only reason we hear of them are the strong links here to US media.

We don't seem to run threads on the 46 murders each day in South Africa. The bulk of the 15000 murders using guns in the USA each year largely go unreported.

It takes the spectacular event to be newsworthy, and the definition of spectacular is tightening every day.
08-11-2018, 22:17   #19
SimonTemplar

By the way, I don't think this got much attention here but I saw the headline when I was looking at CNN for the midterms.

An 11 year old boy shot his grandmother in the head after she asked him to clean his room. He then shot himself.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/05/u...hot/index.html
08-11-2018, 22:21   #20
Agricola

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
On an individual level of the victims and their families, it is terrible. There is a heartbreaking video on social media of a 50 something father who broke down in tears because he felt guilty about not doing more to stop the shooter because he wanted to save his son instead.

On a national level though, it is hard to sympathize. My understanding is that a majority of Americans want greater gun control yet they voted republicans back into the senate who will do nothing but dance to the NRA's tune.

They voted for a president who they knew would do nothing about gun control despite an alternative candidate who promised to address the issue.

So there will be the typical CTRL+C, CTRL+V from the last mass shooting. They'll be thoughts and prayers, democrats will demand action, republicans will say it is not the time and the 2nd amendment must be protected, the news cycle will move on but there will be another group of families forever changed and scarred, and then repeat, and repeat and repeat.
It isnt a level playing field with regards voting though. Republicans have made an art of choosing their voters as opposed to the voters choosing them. Saw a tweet yesterday which said the Republicans had a 7% increase in 2010 and took 66 extra seats as a result. This week, the Democrats had a 9.5% increase and took just 33 extra seats. The system is also purposely skewed to give as much and often more voting power to smaller populated rural states which traditionally have always been pro Republican and staunchly pro gun.

As for the president, he got three million less votes than his gun reform opponent, but thanks to a rigged system, now sits in the Oval office.
It's hard to blame the voter when they are fighting with one hand tied behind their back.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-11-2018, 22:24   #21
Mam of 4

Quote:
By the way, I don't think this got much attention here but I saw the headline when I was looking at CNN for the midterms.

An 11 year old boy shot his grandmother in the head after she asked him to clean his room. He then shot himself.

Ah lordie , this is all becoming too commonplace . Shootings after shootings in various situations .
It honestly makes me sad
Thanks from:
08-11-2018, 22:25   #22
Plumbthedepths

Watching the news just now. This is the 307th mass shooting in America this year. No words.
08-11-2018, 22:25   #23
fritzelly

Quote:

That is pretty much a weekly event (most accidental).
When its so ingrained into your psyche that having loaded guns is the norm sure why the hell would you have them locked up
08-11-2018, 22:26   #24
Noveight

Quote:

That reads like a overzealous piece of fiction. Unbelievable.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-11-2018, 22:31   #25
ToddyDoody

I was reading in a book today that in the US they have this really critical superego or, if you will, critical inner voice that bugs them terribly surrounding things like being unpopular and that it drives them to the point of madness whereby they conduct revenge shootings like this on the places like high schools where they were outsiders.

Last edited by ToddyDoody; 08-11-2018 at 22:44. Reason: It was right the first time
(2) thanks from:
08-11-2018, 22:34   #26
SimonTemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agricola View Post
It isnt a level playing field with regards voting though. Republicans have made an art of choosing their voters as opposed to the voters choosing them. Saw a tweet yesterday which said the Republicans had a 7% increase in 2010 and took 66 extra seats as a result. This week, the Democrats had a 9.5% increase and took just 33 extra seats. The system is also purposely skewed to give as much and often more voting power to smaller populated rural states which traditionally have always been pro Republican and staunchly pro gun.

As for the president, he got three million less votes than his gun reform opponent, but thanks to a rigged system, now sits in the Oval office.
It's hard to blame the voter when they are fighting with one hand tied behind their back.

I agree the voting landscape and system in America is borderline undemocratic at this stage. It is pretty difficult to defend a system in a so called democracy where the winner of the popular vote is the loser. America needs to get rid of the electoral college system and they'll be better for it.

That being said, voting democrats into power is not impossible and those who voted for republicans (especially in the swing states) did so knowing that gun control laws won't change, whether this was a conscious decision in their choice of candidate, or just apathy.
08-11-2018, 22:37   #27
Gwynplaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit.de.frog View Post
Thoughts and Prayers.
As it has happened so many times now, it's clear that this doesn't work.
08-11-2018, 22:45   #28
Cookie_Monster

Send a message via Skype™ to Cookie_Monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwynplaine View Post
As it has happened so many times now, it's clear that this doesn't work.
i think it was pretty clear after the first time that BS didn't work, never mind the xxxth time
Thanks from:
08-11-2018, 23:45   #29
joe40

I know people who expressed reservations about visiting European cities last year for fear of terrorist attacks.
But wouldn't think twice about visiting America.
Perception is a powerful thing
Thanks from:
08-11-2018, 23:48   #30
sdanseo

Was about 30km from there two weeks ago. Scary thought.

Shooter used an extended magazine, ironically in the only US state that outlaws extended magazines.

My thoughts regarding how to tackle the gun control issue as quite elequently inferred by CJ Cregg:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion