Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭john boye

We have fools like this to contend with, who will probably be listened to, opposing... well, everything, according to his leaflet. All because he's worried it might affect him and his car.

https://twitter.com/build_up_dublin/status/1333392231173066758

Meant to post about this last week. It's extraordinary how strongly opposed he is to any attempt to improve public transport. Says everything is a terrible idea but offers no alternatives. My favourite bit was where he said Bus Connects hasn't had enough consultancy when consultancy is literally all we've had for years now!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The prick should be sacked for publishing that nonsense. It's just unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

john boye wrote: »
    My favourite bit was where he said Bus Connects hasn't had enough consultancy

That's an astounding statement really. I've worked on large projects in other countries in Europe. None of them offer 2-3 years of consultation for a project like this, that level of consultation is reserved for mega projects that require massive amounts of home and business disruption and demolition. You'd get that level of public involvement on something like Crossrail (London), Metro Zud (amsterdam) or the second tunnel on Munich U-Bahn. There is no way in hell any other European City or Country would have three rounds of public consultation over 3 years for building a few bus / cycle lanes (I know they claim 200+km but most of the bus element already exists).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

Chuckle. I agree 100% with the OP in this regard. Consultancy has been crap. I'm only responding here because its the usual rubbish rolled out. The only place any discussion of this happens is on this website.

I tried registering our residents association for our corridor webinar ; not a peep heard back and now its over ;

There's an unrelated traffic change nearby going on right now which consulted everyone ( not great at start, but now has involved everyone ) and there's little issue with feeling involved, consulted or having a stake.

Busconnects such as it is I think will founder . That's my opinion. I've no dog in this fight beyond being an involved resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

trellheim wrote: »
    Chuckle. I agree 100% with the OP in this regard. Consultancy has been crap. I'm only responding here because its the usual rubbish rolled out. The only place any discussion of this happens is on this website.

You must be the only 'community' in the city not consulted on this. The level of awareness in my area is enormous.

We are now embroiled in a third public consultation. To describe the consultation as "crap" is just that, a load of crap. I imagine your reasoning is along the lines of 'the NTA won't change their plans to suit me, therefore the consultation is sub-standard'.
    I tried registering our residents association for our corridor webinar ; not a peep heard back and now its over ;

Other RAs have had no difficulty shoehorning themselves into the NTA's activity. I'd suggest that the issue is with your RA.
    There's an unrelated traffic change nearby going on right now which consulted everyone ( not great at start, but now has involved everyone ) and there's little issue with feeling involved, consulted or having a stake.

If "feeling involved" is your standard then you are never going to be satisfied by any city wide consultation.
    Busconnects such as it is I think will founder . That's my opinion. I've no dog in this fight beyond being an involved resident.

Don't disagree with you there, Bus Connects will fall victim to the [competent] RAs and local/national politicians who are quite content with the status quo. Just like every other major investment in public transport (but for Luas and DART) proposed since the inception of the State.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Not strictly Bus Connects related, but the Clontarf to City Centre cycle scheme is back in the news, progressing to tender soon.

https://twitter.com/DublinInquirer/status/1336606512781938690
    The tender process for the Clontarf to City Centre Cycle Scheme, which will run from Clontarf Road to Talbot Street could start this month, depending on approval by DCC’s Corporate Projects Governance Board, says a report presented to councillors at the monthly council meeting.

The tender process should take around three months and so a contractor should be selected in April 2021 and construction could start in July 2021, says the report.

I think that they're quite optimistic in their timeline, pretty sure that this hasn't gone through planning yet, and the consultation is where you're going to see a backlash.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

CatInABox wrote: »
    I think that they're quite optimistic in their timeline, pretty sure that this hasn't gone through planning yet, and the consultation is where you're going to see a backlash.

It has Part 8 planning. All that's needed is to appoint a contractor and start construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

Does anybody have the link to the pdf with the route implementation phases? I can’t seem to find it

Qrt wrote: »
    Does anybody have the link to the pdf with the route implementation phases? I can’t seem to find it

This or are you looking for the full documents?
    loyatemu wrote: »
    Walker recommended making the route changes in a one go.

Instead we're getting 3 years of confusing chaos:

https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1321847665685049344

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

The implication seems absolutely rediculous you're gonna have services mirror each other and using two completely different numbering systems for multiple years how is that considered less confusing by any stretch of the imagination.

• Advertisement

Pitty it wasn't phases in from March to September this year, low usage and low disruption.

The implication seems absolutely rediculous you're gonna have services mirror each other and using two completely different numbering systems for multiple years how is that considered less confusing by any stretch of the imagination.

It's going to be super confusing alright.

There shouldn't be any duplication of services though. Routes will be truncated in the city centre to avoid that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Peregrine wrote: »
    It's going to be super confusing alright.

There shouldn't be any duplication of services though. Routes will be truncated in the city centre to avoid that.

Will there be room for buses to layover in the city centre? Not sure why it has to be done over such a long period of time rather than over a few months or even weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

This could have been started on trial during covid instead they used Covid to narrow roads, make them one way and just dangerous.

and just dangerous.

I cannot think of a single Covid road change in the city that has made things more dangerous.

nothing to do with Bus Connects also.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This could have been started on trial during covid instead they used Covid to narrow roads, make them one way and just dangerous.
    Care to describe where these roads are and how they have become dangerous and to whom?

Did they narrow roads or widen footpaths? Seems safety has improved significantly.

donvito99 wrote: »
    I cannot think of a single Covid road change in the city that has made things more dangerous.

nothing to do with Bus Connects also.

A lot of the designs are dangerous for buses

GT89 wrote: »

Dangerous = we might lose a fleck or two of paint on the front near side.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

dangerous how exactly?

• Advertisement

Will there be room for buses to layover in the city centre? Not sure why it has to be done over such a long period of time rather than over a few months or even weeks.

Hopefully. They say truncated routes will terminate in the far side of the city centre where possible so Merrion, Parnell & Mountjoy Squares perhaps.

Most of it will happen in phases 8-11 in 2023-2024. That's 70% of the network.

537460.jpg
    537461.jpg
    537462.jpg

Peregrine wrote: »
    Hopefully. They say truncated routes will terminate in the far side of the city centre where possible so Merrion, Parnell & Mountjoy Squares perhaps.

Most of it will happen in phases 8-11 in 2023-2024. That's 70% of the network.

No mention of toilets for bus drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    I
    -They need to reduce the number of bus stops some of them are way too close together

Nobody wants to walk in the rain for more than 50 meters, it seems.

+1 too all your points

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭jams100

ampleforth wrote: »
    Nobody wants to walk in the rain for more than 50 meters, it seems.

+1 too all your points

I mentioned reducing the number of bus stops during the consultation period. Its ridiculous outside my house there are 3 bus stops within about 400 meters of each other, also no laybys so when a bus does stop at the bus stop any busses behind have to wait for that bus to let passengers on/off.
    At least bus connects seems to be dealing with the layby issue, at least on my spine anyway

Jarrett is coming back for Cork's bus connects
    https://twitter.com/humantransit/status/1351614641323950083?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Jarrett is coming back for Cork's bus connects

more fool him, why would he waste his time? His Dublin plan was so watered down and messed with it won't achieve any of the aims and he'll invariable cop the flak depite none of it being his 'fault'. Why come back for it to happen again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

more fool him, why would he waste his time? His Dublin plan was so watered down and messed with it won't achieve any of the aims and he'll invariable cop the flak depite none of it being his 'fault'. Why come back for it to happen again?
    Why would he care? He gets a contact, does the job, gets the money and leaves. If the government doesn't follow the study and his recommendations, it doesn't affect him. And he's smart enough to understand and not his or his recommendations are bad, but the objections are. He spoke about this previously, and compared Ireland to other countries, mentioning that in Ireland there was a lot political resistance. So that's Irish government's slowness, lack of motivation, Irish residents ignorance and selfishness, and lobbyists domination, and some local politicians stupidity (no respect, lying, incompetence and some arrogance) problem.

Apart all that, his initial plan and recommendations were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Let's face it, his plan was kind of rubbish to begin with and the watering down you talk about has resulted in a much better network, though one that's built more on the network already in place today.

His original draft was very light on actual services provided and would have caused severe overcrowding. Not actually his fault per say because he had to use modelling assumptions from the NTA based on the 2011 census, by 2018 it was clear that growth of demand in Dublin was accelerating way beyond any 2011 base year forecast.

Also the original assumption was that there'd be integrated ticketing implemented in 2019. It is now 2021 and the network implementation is set to begin without any integrated ticketing available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

cgcsb wrote: »
    His original draft was...

Just to note, because it's constantly forgotten in these discussions — public consultation and adjustment of the original plan was an intrinsic part of the original plan!

Advertisement