Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I want to get my tubes tied - what now?

Options
  • 02-09-2020 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Im 30 now. And for sure do not want another child.. I have one, and my pregnancy was awful. I'm not financially able to take care of another one - between trying to get mortgage etc.
    I also have PCOS , witch is good in a way because its very hard to conceive. I am on pill - I'm just scared, knowing my luck ill end up getting pregnant.
    So.... I have red so many news articles about women not being able to get tubes tied in case they change mind......
    Sooo... Has anyone got it done. What was procedure like? And recovery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭andala

I had mine done 2 years ago at 40, 7 years after having my second child. It took a little over a year from the gp referral to get a hospital assessment, they tried to convince me not to go with it but I was adamant I wouldn't change my mind so they eventually gave in. From there it was about a month or two before I got it done. It's an outpatient procedure, you go in in the morning and leave in the afternoon but you need someone to collect you because you cannot drive after general anesthetic. They make 2 incisions, one near the belly button and another one lower (in my case just above the C section scar) and that's it. Recovery is very quick so I wouldn't worry about it. What I found particularly funny was that the hospital rang my husband to ask if he agrees to me having it. I wonder what would have happened if he had said no :D

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

I’ve had mine done, and I’m single with no kids! Wasn’t too hard find someone who’d do it. We had an honest conversation about why I wanted this particular method, what other types of contraception I had tried, my lifestyle and why vasectomy wasn’t an option, and my certainty re not wanting kids.

As the previous poster said, day procedure, general anaesthetic. The initial few hours post-op weren’t fun with nausea/vomiting and weakness but once they’d passed I was right as rain. Only needed paracetamol once after I’d been discharged.

It gives great peace of mind- yes, I know there’s a failure rate and other methods are as effective if not more so, but other methods don’t suit me so I opted for this. No regrets!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

Hi OP, have you chatted to the GP / HSELive about the contraceptive implant? Cab be inserted under local anesthetic, is 100% effective and lasts for 3 years without needing to remember when to take pills etc. I've recently had it inserted and the doctor mentioned he often suggests this to women who were considering having their tubes tied as it's lower risk from a medial perspective.

Advertisement