Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Mobile - boards.ie on your portable device

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I've done a quick test.

Mobile Device: Sony Ericsson w890i
    Browser: Access NetFront
    • I can start threads.
    • I can post.
    • Subbed forums list works.
    • Forums list also works.
    • Logon and logout works usually (see below).
    • User CP loads.
    • Private Message List loads.

However sometimes when I logon I get taken to the "You'll be redirected .." page and then get redirected to a blank page. I haven't figured whats causing it yet. I'll look into this evening to see if I can give you details to replicate this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

One thing that I have noticed is if you click a posted link, it doesn't redirect you to the mobile version of that page. It loads the full version instead. Could be a problem depending on the mobile device used to browse.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Cult have you had a look at this to aid the skin?

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=173239&highlight=mobile

Ive tried it on mine and it works well when going to main web addy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

No option to subscribe.
    It seems to jump to a random point in the thread.
    It sometimes loads full boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

One thing that I have noticed is if you click a posted link, it doesn't redirect you to the mobile version of that page. It loads the full version instead. Could be a problem depending on the mobile device used to browse.

Noticed that on just one thread in the IoffL forum too. All other threads loaded in mobile version, just fine. Browser was an e61i native.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

Using Opera Mini on an E61. Being redirected automatically to the mobile version from my bookmarks to normal site, not at all happy :(

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Mr Crystal wrote: »
    I don't suppose there's anyway you could implement a way to see spoilers while mobile CuLT?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Consider it noted, although I can't think of a clever way to implement them off the top of my head. As you might imagine, mouseover and highlighting are basically out the window.
    random wrote: »
    If a thread is locked then you still get the option to post and it doesn't tell you it's locked until you click submit.
    Thanks, will see what is the most intuitive way to do this without adding icons. Any suggestions?
    matrim wrote: »
    I've also seen the sometimes going to the pc version too. It happened to me when clicking of the forum name on the top of the page. When I went back and clicked on it again it was worked correctly.

Also youtube links don't seem to work on my N95. If I go to youtube I can play them but not from inside boards.

A couple of things that would be nice,

* When someone posts a link to boards in a thread, make it go to the m.boards.ie if you are using the mobile version. Otherwise if you click on the link it can open in the pc version

* Show the dates on posts in the thread

* Show the Forum that a post is in on the home page
    I've installed the vB redirection mod Sparky linked to, we'll see how it handles things. Might preclude the need for the subdomain at all, but I still like it :)
    cgarvey wrote: »
    Since the subbed list, I'm a happy man! Even subbed threads are there under the CP. Excellent! Nice work.

One thing I noticed is that smilies link to 404 images.

I assume that the reply text box on my e61i doesn't have scrollbars (and chops off the display of the last line when the content gets long.. having to add 2 new lines of padding so you can see the content) is phone-specific?!

Posted via Mobile Device
    Nope, I think that counts as a bug :) Noted.
    Posted via Mobile Device

using opera mobile on my n95 to post this, its working great! Thanks very much. Can i just add a suggestion? I think you brushed on it already but personally i think the forum list is too long, is it possible to change it to ,or even adding a catagory list? Where clicking one brings you to a new page with all the forums me that section. It currently takes a long time to get to feedback! Cheers
    Yeah, this is now on the "to do" list. I'd encourage you to use the "subscribed forums" feature for the moment. You would subscribe via boards.ie proper, then could access via mobile.
    Evil Phil wrote: »
    I've done a quick test.

Mobile Device: Sony Ericsson w890i
    Browser: Access NetFront
    • I can start threads.
    • I can post.
    • Subbed forums list works.
    • Forums list also works.
    • Logon and logout works usually (see below).
    • User CP loads.
    • Private Message List loads.

However sometimes when I logon I get taken to the "You'll be redirected .." page and then get redirected to a blank page. I haven't figured whats causing it yet. I'll look into this evening to see if I can give you details to replicate this.
    This should be fixed by that mobile redirection plugin.
    Ditto.
    No option to subscribe.
    It seems to jump to a random point in the thread.
    It sometimes loads full boards.
    1. Not sure what you mean? There's a few different meanings to "subscribe" in the boards.ie context, could you clarify?
    2. When going to the latest post?
    3. As above, should be eliminated now.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

long_b wrote: »
    Using Opera Mini on an E61. Being redirected automatically to the mobile version, not at all happy :(
    Yeah, that would be non-ideal for Opera Mini users, I've removed Opera Mini from the forced redirect list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Noticed something with the N95 browser. When you are replying to topics the text box scroll doesnt seem to follow

Its as if the box is too small and the number of lines allowed is more. Kinda hard to explain, but the net effect is that you have to push the soft key to the right to get the text to show in the text box again.

Thanks CuLT, main page loads fine but I'm still getting the mobile site when I click on a post ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

CuLT wrote: »
    Yeah, that would be non-ideal for Opera Mini users, I've removed Opera Mini from the forced redirect list.

I'm using opera mini on a nokia 6120c and I'm being redirected to mobile view as soon as l click on a link from the homepage or my subbed list.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

CuLT wrote: »
    Thanks, will see what is the most intuitive way to do this without adding icons. Any suggestions?

Maybe remove the post reply button from locked threads and replace it with the text "Locked"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Can there be an option to get out of the mobile version please. I personally dont like it.

Imo you should be given an option on the home page to get into the mobile version rather then being forced into it.

Maybe remove the post reply button from locked threads and replace it with the text "Locked"?
    Good idea.

Good idea.
    No option to subscribe. - Subscribe to a thread is what I mean
    It seems to jump to a random point in the thread. - when I click a thread title in a forum listing
    It sometimes loads full boards. just randomly when using the m.boards.ie link but I've not used it in a day or two now due to phone troubles

1. Not sure what you mean? There's a few different meanings to "subscribe" in the boards.ie context, could you clarify? - see above
    2. When going to the latest post?see above
    3. As above, should be eliminated now.see above

plus one for opt out functionality for Opera mini users.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Would it be feasible to have a "View full version of this page" link at the top or bottom (kind of like the archive pages).

In general I find the auto-redirect to the mobile version very good but it would be nice to be able to switch to the full interface for certain tasks when needed (thread tools etc).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I have an iphone, and its capable of viewing boards.ie normally. Is there a way I can opt out of boards mobile? Main page loads normally, but threads are in mobile version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

The mobile version of boards is an excellent addition and kudos to all involved.
    The "full-fat" version is just too slow to load on my internet tab (seems to get bogged down loading scripts) but this version bombs along.

Could I request a direct link to subscribed threads in addition to the present direct links to home, forums, subbed forums, new posts and user cp?
    I realise it's already available under user cp but could it also be added to the present direct links if space is not an issue?

All nice pages back now on Opera Mini - thanks folks !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm having the same problem that a few other Nokia users reported - using the built-in S60 browser and when you type a reply that's larger than what will fit in the viewable area of the text box it doesn't scroll down so you can't see what you're typing. Nokia 6120 classic in this case. Haven't tried Opera Mini yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Nice like it alot, esp on my long commutes. One thing, could it show the forum the post is from in the home-page as often the thread titles are ambiguous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Maybe I'm blind but how do I change back to another skin once I'm in New Mobile, I don't see the drop down bar anymore.

Also, the user CP is limited and doesn't show 'options' so I can't change it manually in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 cb750

Just found this m.boards.ie Really neat well done :)
    As Deepblue said better than the full fat version
    Is this 'diet boards' ?

Patrick
    via my HP iPAQ + Meteor GPRS

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

ive jusyt been using it the last few days with a bookmark on Afterhours.

Im not very savy with portable web normally but this beta version is excellent, very fast and simple to use imo.

I would like it the way it is, kept simple and functional.

Great job.

Thanks for the additional service. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

A separate set of options for the mobile boards in your own account. Once example is if you wan the display mode newest first on normal, but oldest first on the mobile is just one example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

one change i would love to see made is the reply/quote button on other posts. Maybe its just me that finds it confusing but 'rep' could be report or reply, and the '!!' has no immediate meaning. I would much prefer to see a quote and report button written out in full, it wouldn't take up any more space and would be less confusion for the likes of me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Could I make a suggestion for it? specifically the forum list page.

There's a lot of scrolling if you want to go to a forum at the end of the forum list page. Is it possible to have this collapsed into the categorys, so you choose the cat and then are taken to a page with the forums under that cat?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement