Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

ionapaul wrote: »
    Does anyone know what time the ticket office in the Sportsground will be open tomorrow? Want to head into town and pick up a ticket well ahead of the match.
    Buy online and you can then pick up ticket before kickoff from ticket office at main gate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Bundee is just different class

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Kelleher showing why he's a dangerous attacker and a terrible defender in the space of 2 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Jack Carty putting on a clinic thus far

Mul, it's over
    Buer wrote: »
    Kelleher showing why he's a dangerous attacker and a terrible defender in the space of 2 minutes.

Think he has improved generally speaking but was poor for mcnicholl try alright

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    Fabulous game of rugby here, Connacht playing terrific stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Bundee and farrell really do offer that much more in attack

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    Fabulous game of rugby here, Connacht playing terrific stuff.

Defence much improved and playing percentages a bit better and not playing themselves into trouble

Mul, it's over
    Great half. Said it already but really impressed with Carty, haven't seen him play better 40 min than that. Varying attack, great kicks to touch, lovely hands, prob a bit over ambitious with cross field kick to kelleher. Centre partnership on fire. Defence looks too narrow at times would be main concern, marmion did brilliantly because that was almost certainly a try otherwise. Disappointing for Thornbury to go off so early but Dillane done well since he came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,223 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

They butchered that try. Terrible hands on the lock. That's the sort of chance Connacht need to convert. Scarlets will punish you.

• Advertisement

Patchell carry that over?

That's fairly ridiculous tbh.

Nichol jumped into him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    Clegg wrote: »
    That's fairly ridiculous tbh.

Nichol jumped into him.

Kelleher did tackle him though. I felt it should have been a 22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Just when we looked to have it wrapped up. Hope we don't get a repeat of the Glasgow game.

****e. Connacht really need to tighten up out wide although Scarlets are so good out there with their footwork and awareness.

Need another 3 pointer to secure it.

Brilliant score. Sean O'Brien. Remember the name.

That's brilliant.

Game over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me
    Serious work by O'Brien there.

Great result for Leinster and Ulster too.

Mul, it's over
    Brilliant match, brilliant win. Delighted.

I think the Scarlets have dropped sligjtly but regardless I believe Connacht are gonna be right in the mix for the playoffs.

They're going to be brimming with confidence for Leinster next week.

• Advertisement

1 point lost or 4 points won?
    I guess the latter. The team isn't well-oiled enough yet. Defense out wide is not good. LH subs aren't either (How did O'Donnell/Carey do vs Ospreys A??).
    But the rest looks good.
    It's gonna be a totally undicided 3-way battle for 1 and 1/2 spot between Connacht, Cardiff and Ospreys
    (a full-euro + Play-off spot, and a 50% european chance if we finish 4th)

Mul, it's over
    Small bit disappointed not to get the bp - little bit more clinical and it was available but an awful lot to be positive about. Blade and McCabe continuing to deliver is really positive, means Marmion and Buckley don't have to be flogged. Bench was very good tonight in general, Niyi looks sharp. Be a right dogfight when Sevu Reece arrives for back three spots. Scrum and lineout generally solid, thought Roux and O'Brien were very good. Carty exceptional in almost everything he did including goal kicking, if he can maintain that it could be a very good season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Great result

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

Some Like It TOH
    And Joe was at the game this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Bundee may have got it but jack was motm for me. Another excellent game in apromising season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    I'm very happy after that. We played a totally different game to last weekend. I think we're learning and improving. I think that was jack's best game for us. I hope he can maintain this. I am disappointed that we didn't get the bonus point, we messed up twice in the second half where we should probably have scored. The only other thing that needs work are the restarts. We haven't been able to deal with them for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

lostboy75 wrote: »
    And Joe was at the game this evening.

Am sure he has got food for thought! Some great individual performances there,

Mul, it's over
    Was an interesting decision to go for posts with that penalty with just over ten to go and ten points ahead. Would be inclined to kick the corner because of the difficulty of the kick and the margin being ten already I think. Even if you don't score from the resulting lineout chances are you will kill another few minutes and give Scarlets the ball in their 22 still ten down. Worked out alright in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Bundee Aki and Connacht didn’t have the ideal pre-season relationship, with the centre’s return to New Zealand causing some disquiet. His return in Edinburgh last week brought a slight criticism from Friend, but any rustiness seems to have been left in Scotland as Aki lit the fuse for a terrific, energetic attacking display this evening.

http://www.the42.ie/connacht-scarlets-pro14-galway-match-report-4249694-Sep2018/

That's the second time the 42 have pushed this narrative which seems totally unfounded.

What are they at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Thought Marmion was brilliant -with McGrath and Cooney playing well he needed a big first start to the season, especially with Joe watching, and by gawd he delivered it. Tackled like a man possesed
    Jack is playing great rugby and I'm delighted for him - he is putting alot work in

The difference in the centre between this week's partnership Bundee-Farrell and last week's Godwin-Griffin is really night and day from an attacking POV

Roux, SOB, Findlay and Dillane had very busy days around the park
    Copeland looks promising but I'd be tempted to bench him and start Boyle against Leinster

McCoy and McCabe did well when they came on too which was good to see

Only downside is Thornbury looks like he has badly damaged his shoulder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

A really positive showing tonight and although it would have been a great result to get 5 points out of it I was just pure relieved when Niyi ran in under the posts when it looked like we might have let a really poor Scarlets team back in.

It's surely never been less controversial to suggest Carty could get capped in Autumn than it is now. Absolutely immense this season. The confidence dents he used to get from poor tactical kicks he used to get seem to be completely reversed to the point that once he puts in a bad kick he is near pristine for the remainder. His work ethic is second to none and his link-up play is just what Schmidt and Co. would really be please with.

Also thought it was Marmion's best performance in a long time. He was properly up for it and making great breaks all night. Hopefully Blade's start to the season has lit a fire under him.

SOBII was fantastic. His break for the last try was the definition of clutch. Mammoth defending all day.

Dillane was looking lively too. Probably would've caused mayhem off the bench in the second half if Thornbury didn't get injured so early.

Bundee adds so much to our attack. It's a great shame for Connacht that his gametime will be significantly decreased per player welfare but it's a joy to see him succeed at international level.

I don't think Copeland set the world alight on his first proper outing but if he can keep his fitness and get a bit more match sharpness into him it could be a lovely battle for number 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭typhoony

http://www.the42.ie/connacht-scarlets-pro14-galway-match-report-4249694-Sep2018/

That's the second time the 42 have pushed this narrative which seems totally unfounded.

What are they at?

it was totally expected from the management that we wouldn't see Bundee until the end of September, when he goes off to get married at the end of this year are they also going to push this narrative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

What are they at?

Sowing the seeds for the "Bundee to Leinster" rumours that they milk 6,254 clickbait articles out of...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

What are they at?

I'm sure there is an agenda there somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Thought Marmion was brilliant -with McGrath and Cooney playing well he needed a big first start to the season, especially with Joe watching, and by gawd he delivered it. Tackled like a man possesed

Marmion's greatest fault is that he has come through in the same generation as Conor Murray. Were it not for CM then he would be the Scrum Half of choice for Ireland yet now now we have pretenders for his position on the subs bench, unthinkable a generation ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Didn't get to watch the match back til after but thought Buckley deserved a mention too. Made a nuisance of himself at the breakdown and some lovely passing both from the base of the ruck and in open play. Not often you see a prop getting the ball around the 15 and going for the skip pass out to the wing and executing it all beautifully at pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Very good result yesterday, would go full strength against Leinster at home and then rotate slightly over the ulster away and European matches

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Very good result yesterday, would go full strength against Leinster at home and then rotate slightly over the ulster away and European matches
    Copeland/Boyle/Fainga'a (+McKeon due early October) allow us backrow rotation.
    Props are the main issue, we're light, not even a 7th prop...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Marmion's greatest fault is that he has come through in the same generation as Conor Murray. Were it not for CM then he would be the Scrum Half of choice for Ireland yet now now we have pretenders for his position on the subs bench, unthinkable a generation ago.

IMO his greatest fault is his passing off his left hand, it was better yesterday but he still hits the inside shoulder of the receiver too often. He had a very good game yesterday, his decision making, support running, and defence were excellent as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Mul, it's over
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    Would agree with this, beat Leinster and we're in great shape regardless of The game in Belfast and we can hopefully afford a lot of rotation at home to Bordeaux. Hard to know with the Sale game? do you go all out or keep players wrapped up on anticipation of a huge game with Ospreys the following week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

connachta wrote: »
    Copeland/Boyle/Fainga'a (+McKeon due early October) allow us backrow rotation.
    Props are the main issue, we're light, not even a 7th prop...

I thought before the game that Copeland and O’Brien were playing for one place against Leinster, with one making way for Boyle. With that said, I’d go SOB/Butler/Boyle, with Fainga’a to come in if Butler needs a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    For Leinster I’d start sob/butler/Boyle with faingaa on bench injury permitting then for ulster Boyle/faingaa/Copeland starting and who ever on the bench.

Home games should be the priority in both competitions. There’s depth in the squad now to allow for small rotations to keep things fresh for the away games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Seen a few comments around the place about how Reece is going to be great competition for Healy/Kelleher/Niyi which I absolutely hope happens. That said you'd nearly forget Rory Scholes is still on the books. Poor lad it really hasn't worked out for him here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    Seen a few comments around the place about how Reece is going to be great competition for Healy/Kelleher/Niyi which I absolutely hope happens. That said you'd nearly forget Rory Scholes is still on the books. Poor lad it really hasn't worked out for him here.

Is he injured? He's not getting much of a run with the eagles even.
    What did people think of the Thornbury injury? Doubt anything broken as he was able to move it with the physio on the pitch. He was in the dressing room after also. After Cannon, who do we have? Gallagher and the lad we got from Leicester I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Scholes got badly injured in the Dragons A away game I heard, did his knee
    Reece looks class tbf
    We'll inevitably get injuries so can do with having 5 good options for the back 3 to rotate
    macslash wrote: »
    What did people think of the Thornbury injury? Doubt anything broken as he was able to move it with the physio on the pitch. He was in the dressing room after also. After Cannon, who do we have? Gallagher and the lad we got from Leicester I guess

Seemed to be his shoulder and Gavin does have a history of Shoulder Injuries, hopefully it's nothing reaccuring
    Depth wise we have Clafferty, Gallagher and Joe after Cannon.

Already excited for the game against Leinster on Saturday.
    What are the chances of Robbie playing? Has he played against us since he moved to Leinster? I dont think he has. He definitely hasn't played in either game in the Sportsground.
    I'd love to see him get one run out against us in Galway before he comes home in the summer

Already excited for the game against Leinster on Saturday.
    What are the chances of Robbie playing? Has he played against us since he moved to Leinster? I dont think he has. He definitely hasn't played in either game in the Sportsground.
    I'd love to see him get one run out against us in Galway before he comes home in the summer

Wrong thread for trolling the Leinster fans... ;)

Mul, it's over
    Must be almost time for a build up thread.
    ventilator-mens-headguard-red-p63549-13042_zoom.jpg

462134.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    Zzippy wrote: »
    462134.png

;)
    462135.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement