Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosslare to St Nazaire

Options
  • 09-12-2013 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Looks like Rosslare is getting a new service next year, LD lines are to run a ferry between these route once a week. Im a little surprised as i thought a Cork - Gijon route would be the preferred option from this ferry operator.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Do you have a link to this. Can't seem to find it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Kalyke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Kalyke wrote: »

I suppose it really shouldn't have been that hard for me to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

ha ha! Another Visentini ship running from Ireland to France!
    Que folks not liking the "steep ramp", open deck and "economy" facilities
    http://ldlines.co.uk/welcome-on-board/scintu
    http://www.ferry-site.dk/ferry.php?id=9435466

strange the booking link isnt working even though the service starts in less than a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I noticed its not bookable yet. From one of their other routes, they were doing special offers for the first 500 bookings. I will be checking this daily to see if they do likewise with this new rosslare route.

A particular date I have in mind at the end of June is 1200 with Celticlink, and similar with IF. Even a not so subtle hint on the new celticlink advertising thread here on boards has not stirred a reply from them.

Heres hoping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

online booking is beginning on the 13th.
    Another thread is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057101590 which also points out a spanish article which mentions a through service to Ireland from Spain with the stop in France.

It'd be fairly handy if you could drive on the ferry in Ireland, avoid having to get off and on again in France and simply depart in Spain.
    Its 2 overnights but the cabins on those ferries are spot on and the alternative is a long long drive with tolls nearly all the way or take a ferry via England to Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭metrostation

It would no doubt put pressure on the other operators, especially on the Rosslare - Roscoff route, but i cant see how this will benefit travellers between Ireland and Spain.

Other than freight customers and some expats, this would not really suit your average holiday maker. 2 nites spend on a visentini would be a little bit too much for even the best of travellers and the costs of spending 37 hours on board would also be too high.

A 25+ hour direct ferry from Cork to Spain would be a much more practical solution and i believe would help really boost the ferry industry in this country.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A fair old network they're building up

ournetwork_big_en.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Hopefully that isn't actually the course they use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

OK boys and girls. Site booking is now live and I just got the ferry for car, 5 people, with 4 berth cabin and a seat, return for 350 euro all in.

Hey hey......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

i got it too. Its an insane offer for the prime time of first two weeks in august....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

coming up as £230 for me for the same, ridiculously cheap - is that an introductory offer?

main problem is it doesn't arrive into France until 7pm, so if your destination is further south you'll probably need to overnight somewhere which cancels out some of the savings. Irish Ferries gets into Cherbourg at 11am (also I definitely prefer being asleep for as much of the journey as possible).

Anyone know when this offer is coming to an end? For the prices shown i wouldnt mind booking it myself but i just dont have the spare cash at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Anyone know when this offer is coming to an end? For the prices shown i wouldnt mind booking it myself but i just dont have the spare cash at the moment...

The offer is for the first 200 bookings apparently? http://www.e-tid.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/LDNews-Release.pdf

There is an email address, you could try theme and see if they will let you know how many booking are left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Thanks guys, I’ve just booked :)- unbelievable value, Rosslare – St. Nazaire, July, return under €260 :eek: for 2 adults + car, cabin on each leg. :D I paid about €290 for 6 days car hire in Nice last summer, plus flights I think about €450. (Flew & hired car then as other Lines were quoting about €1k to Cherbourg/ Le Havre). Haven’t taken a ferry to France for years as the other lines had priced themselves totally out of the market. It will be interesting to see the regular pricing from LD Lines on the route once it settles down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I think LD Lines is a relatively 'no frills' carrier compared to Brittany Ferries and Irish Ferries.

The Brittany Ferries Pont Aven that does the Cork-Roscoff trip is a pretty impressive ferry on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I am still technically booked on LD for the 15th June, however with all the mucking about with cancellations I have decided to book with BF which actually mean way less driving on this side for me.
    I really don't care about the ships facilities, I remember sailing on the first Celtic link vessel which was not as luxurious as the current version..
    That didn't concern me one bit, free dinner as well.
    I suppose I have spent lots of time at sea and 22 hr trip just feels like it passes so quickly that I don't have time to get bored.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I am still technically booked on LD for the 15th June, however with all the mucking about with cancellations I have decided to book with BF which actually mean way less driving on this side for me.
    I really don't care about the ships facilities, I remember sailing on the first Celtic link vessel which was not as luxurious as the current version..
    That didn't concern me one bit, free dinner as well.
    I suppose I have spent lots of time at sea and 22 hr trip just feels like it passes so quickly that I don't have time to get bored.

If your sailing was cancelled then you would have been entitled to a transfer to stena line Rosslare to Cherbourg, did you call them to see if your date was still going ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If your sailing was cancelled then you would have been entitled to a transfer to stena line Rosslare to Cherbourg, did you call them to see if your date was still going ahead?
    Not yet, they were cancelling everything up to the 15th last I heard.
    I just wanted to guarantee my sailing and the only way to do that was with BF
    edit:
    From their webpage.
    This route will resume week commencing 16 June 2014.

Passengers with bookings up this date are being contacted regarding transfer, re-booking or refunds.

Any passengers with queries should contact +33 (0)825 304 304 or +33(0)232 144 729 or get in touch by email via our "Contact Us" form on this website.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

It sounds like this service is not going to be continued next year. Pity. There have been great reports of the ship and the crossing on the Bargains forum. The last crossing they have scheduled is 29 August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

vienne86 wrote: »
    It sounds like this service is not going to be continued next year. Pity. There have been great reports of the ship and the crossing on the Bargains forum. The last crossing they have scheduled is 29 August.
    There are rumours that they are looking to operate it from Cork next year. How true it is I don't know, what could attract them is that the only ferry out of Cork is BF ferries on a saturday so no problem for times to operate.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

There are EU funds to be had and I know Cork-Gijon was being touted to investors a few years ago. While I can't imagine there'd be enough traffic to justify that distance, the deviation to France may still continue.

Watch this space...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Yes, I heard Cork Gijon being touted a few years ago. I would have thought a stop off in St Nazaire would make sense. The Rosslare to St Nazaire route has proved popular this year, mainly because of the price, partcualary for those who got special offers at the launch time. But there are two other services from Rosslare to France.

I hope to go on it before it finishes - great to be able to sail in to Western France, and it should be nice to sail around Brittany.....weather permitting.

Advertisement