Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferry from Spain to Ireland

Options
  • 10-12-2013 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

It looks like from next year there'll be a ferry from Spain to Ireland (Gijón to Rosslare but via Nantes - 37 hours in total). For me, it is slightly shorter than the current Santander/Portsmouth/Drive550km/Holyhead/Dublin route I take. I'll have to see how it fares in times of price and availability, but at least there's an alternative to the current 2-day saga I partake in (twice!) every summer.

http://www.elcomercio.es/20131210/asturias/gijon/musel-tendra-linea-ferry-201312100701.html

I can't find an English source for it at the moment, sorry. The company's website is here: http://ldlines.co.uk/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

See the timetable on the website, route bookable from 13 December.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

If I'm reading the timetable correctly there's a two day stopover in Nantes each way if travelling Rosslare-Gijon and vice versa..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I looked at the site earlier, and the timetable on it didn't make sense in the context of Rosslare / Nantes / Gijon as (as you say) it purported having a ridiculously long stopover on the way down, I'm guessing there's a new one waiting to be uploaded.

However, according to the website I linked:
    Una de esas salidas, muy probablemente la del jueves, que es la que tiene menor ocupación, se prolongará hasta Rosslare, en el mismo barco.

This more or less translates as "One of these sailings, most likely Thursday's (which has the lowest occupancy) will be extended to Rosslare, in the same boat". That doesn't tally with the timetable above, which is why I'm guessing it's soon to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Wasn't there some kite flying in these parts of late regarding a ferry service to Spain?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Yakuza wrote: »
    This more or less translates as "One of these sailings, most likely Thursday's (which has the highest occupancy) will be extended to Rosslare, in the same boat".
    Lowest? Google translate seems to think so at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

ballooba wrote: »
    Wasn't there some kite flying in these parts of late regarding a ferry service to Spain?

I think that was a direct ferry though. I guess this service will cover holiday tourists from Ireland to Nantes and some through passengers to Spain, along with trucks going Ireland - Spain.

Is there a Nantes - Spain ferry at the moment? Looks a bit pointless as road or train would presumably be quicker?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The Rosslare sailings start on Jan 5th which is also when the new timetable for the sailings between Gijon and St. Nazaire takes effect, you need to download it here ... http://newsletters.ldlines.com/schedule/timetablesUK-GINA.pdf

This is how I read it between Rosslare and Gijon from Jan 5th 2014. Both legs involve the MV Scintu so they may let you stay on board with your car, not sure what procedures will apply though with a ten hour layover on the way back, I'm sure a shore trip with your car will be in order, to pick up some nice cheap French wine if nothing else!

Outbound Rosslare to Gijon

Depart Rosslare Friday 21:00
    Arive St. Nazaire Saturday 19:00 (cruise duration 22:00 hh:mm)

Three hours wait in port/onboard MV Scintu

Depart St. Nazaire Saturday 22:00 (new timetable effective Jan 5th 2014)
    Arrive Gijon Sunday 13:00 (cruise duration 15:00 hh:mm)

Return Gijon to Rosslare

Depart Gijon Tuesday 22:00 (new timetable effective Jan 5th 2014)
    Arrive St. Nazaire Wednesday 14:00 (cruise duration 16:00 hh:mm)

Ten hour wait in port/onboard MV Scintu

Depart St Nazaire Wednesday 23:59
    Arrive Rosslare Thursday 21:15 (cruise duration 21:16 hh:mm)

Lowest? Google translate seems to think so at least.

You're quite right, my bad, post edited :)

There was talk of putting a ro-pax route from Cork to Gijón but nothing came of it : http://www.portofcork.ie/index.cfm/page/newsarchive/id/60

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm fairly certain some TD was floating the suggestion of even subsidising (for environmental reasons) one a while back but I can't find any reference to it quickly.

coylemj wrote: »
    Outbound Rosslare to Gijon

Depart Rosslare Friday 21:00
    Arive St. Nazaire Saturday 19:00 (cruise duration 22:00 hh:mm)

Three hours wait in port/onboard MV Scintu

Depart St. Nazaire Saturday 22:00 (new timetable effective Jan 5th 2014)
    Arrive Gijon Sunday 13:00 (cruise duration 15:00 hh:mm)

Return Gijon to Rosslare

Depart Gijon Tuesday 22:00 (new timetable effective Jan 5th 2014)
    Arrive St. Nazaire Wednesday 14:00 (cruise duration 16:00 hh:mm)

Ten hour wait in port/onboard MV Scintu

Depart St Nazaire Wednesday 23:59
    Arrive Rosslare Thursday 21:15 (cruise duration 21:16 hh:mm)

For me, the outbound route is faster than to the trip I make to Burgos (Dub/Holyhead, overnight in Birmingham then Portsmouth/Santander) but the return is much longer, I might mix and match. The 10-hour layover on the way back with the wife and kids would be a pain in the a4se; the car would be stuffed and I'd have no interest in going shopping in France (even if they let you off the boat in your car). To top it off, I'd be arriving in Dublin at midnight and not relishing to have to unpack the car then, whereas doing the reverse means only a 10 minute trip from Dublin Port to my house, arriving at a much more sociable hour :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭billie1b

MYOB wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain some TD was floating the suggestion of even subsidising (for environmental reasons) one a while back but I can't find any reference to it quickly.

I'm nearly sure you're correct and it was a Cork to Gijon route but they couldn't get the proper funding or the correct vessel for the routing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

This is in the Independent today. I wonder if a separate direct service would be put on in the summer if the numbers were good. Otherwise it is quite a long trip.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/first-ferry-service-from-france-and-spain-introduced-to-ireland-29832646.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

for Ireland->France it is very cheap compared to Irish Ferries or Celtic Link

Car with 2 adults and 3 kids, 1 cabin & 1 seat (it won't let you book just a cabin if you've more than 4 people); out Aug 1st, back Aug 20th coming in at £230

main problem I can see is the late arrival in France, you'd probably need to book accommodation near Nantes if you're driving any distance.

Also you have a full day on the Ferry in both directions; we spent a day on Irish Ferries once after our departure was delayed and its was ultra-tedious. Much rather sleep through the crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

I normally drive twice a year and use Celtic Link, average 340 euro return (May and Sept.staying 2/4weeks at a time). I go to San Miguel de Salinas (just below Alicante) takes 2 days each way and I spend 11 euros on road tolls. Having a problem translating to compare. Going via UK is a non starter due to the high cost of crossing the Irish Sea. Dover/Calais is cheap but too far, and Santander is too expensive, even Poole or Portsmouth etc. I clock 1,050miles from Cherbourg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 catoc

Guys I'm trying to book this for June but I'm stumped as the link keeps saying failed could someone post me the link they used, I neec to get to alicante in June by ferry could someone please tell me if this would be the best route

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It looks like it cannot be booked online at http://ldlines.co.uk/offers/gijon-rosslare at the moment - you need to ring the call centre number at +33 232 14 52 09.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 catoc

Yeah I did try but no luck just getting please call later I'll try again after Xmas ;)
    lxflyer wrote: »
    It looks like it cannot be booked online at http://ldlines.co.uk/offers/gijon-rosslare at the moment - you need to ring the call centre number at +33 232 14 52 09.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Hey guys,

What is the best route to get a car from Ireland to Spain via ferry?

Looking to book this June.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

Has a yoke done the LD lines trip Rosslare Gijon how does it work out?

Advertisement