Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Times Fantasy Golf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Macduff Gardener

Well we're at the wire and it's all kicking off. Some players left it pretty late last night with BumpAndRun (19th) leaving it til 23:58 and chose Ernie Els as his stand alone Captain - good luck fella. Players ranked 2, 5, 9 & 11 all made their changes between 23:52 and 23:57 and whilst some may say it is to protect their choices from being copied, it can also be said that it allows them to cover any unexpected moves around them.
    Top 20 Team picks this week were Stricker (18), D. Johnson (17), McIlroy (13), Day (12) Castro & Johnston (9), Stenson, Garcia & Mickelson (8) & Kuchar, Vegas & McGirt (7). In addition to the 6,5 4 3 & 2 picks, players going for broke chose 17 single picks :- Curran, English, Fowler, Furyk, Grace, Z. Johnson, Kirk, Laird, McDowell, Molinari, Palmer, Reifers, Scott, Singh, Snedeker, Watson and Woodland - some big surprises there. Three of those singletons were chosen as Captains :- Fowler, Palmer and Watson - that will shake up the leaders if any of those come up trumps. Other Captain Choices were:- Johnson (4), McIlroy (4), Garcia (3) Stenson (2) and, other than the 3 already mentioned, Day, Mickelson, Spieth & Els with 1 apiece.
    One thing is certain, either the Top 20 will stay pretty much the same or the whole thing could be totally re-written.
    Best of luck players.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Johnny86

Johnny86 wrote: »

Fair play to all the work you put in. Very helpful and informative. Hope you did well yourself overall.
    Cheers - in 28th overall at the moment and gone for a few outside picks this week so more likely to drop away than gain places. Figured it was pointless going with same players as everyone else if I wanted to get up the leaderboard.

The blog got a good few hits each week (well on a wednesday anyway) which was nice - although there were weeks when it felt like a chore to do the speadsheet and write up. Was my first time to do a blog so a good experience overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Funny old game, I spent most weeks wishing I had more than 5 transfers and was never able to carry any over, then this week the final week I only used up 3 of 5 but I won't have the freebies next week!

Players Kept......... Day, DJ (c), Beef, Kuchar, McGirt, Garcia, Finau

Players in ......... Mugilroy, Vegas, Baddeley

Players Out....... Furyk, Reifers, Knost

Already Rory is pissing me off, 3 over early doors. He's my most hated player in this game, he has punished me a few times for not picking him and never plays well when I do have him, I think the last time I had him was the U.S Open, captain too but he missed the cut.

Next year "Potential Underachiever" if you could let us all know when you've picked "Mugilroy" before Wednesday night, it could save the rest of us a whole heap of dropped points. I've got him as Captain this week and he's just finished 4 over!! I'll let you shoulder the blame - 0h why didn't you let me know last night??

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭jimmers

pooman wrote: »
    Reports are that Jason Day is sick as a dog, hasn't played a practice round and was in A&E until 2am this morning.. I'd rather not have him. Could be why I'm 500th though :pac:

Seems it did him no harm - 2 under today and well set!

• Advertisement

Next year "Potential Underachiever" if you could let us all know when you've picked "Mugilroy" before Wednesday night, it could save the rest of us a whole heap of dropped points. I've got him as Captain this week and he's just finished 4 over!! I'll let you shoulder the blame - 0h why didn't you let me know last night??

Yes, my apologies, it was rather selfish of me to keep it to myself and not let you know! Shame I also couldn't stop myself from picking him, my captain D.J has now joined Rory at 4 over so it's no picnic for me either!

I also have D.J. who I notice is currently 6 over. My other team members are Castro, Colsaerts, Day, Hatton, Kaymer, Noren, Stenson and Vegas. Not a very good day so far for either of us - but as they say, "Tomorrow is another day" and I'm sure McIlroy and Johnson will reprieve themselves. All the best for the rest of the tournament. Some surprising scores today across the whole field.

It's official - Dustin Johnson is now in meltdown. 5 to go and 9 over with the likely cut at +1. Sitting at T147 out of 156 entries. That's at least 17 of the Top Twenty with nil pts including 4 who had him as captain. Just goes to prove, you just never know.
    Things can only get better (think I might be digging a bloody great hole for myself here!!).

I also have D.J. who I notice is currently 6 over. My other team members are Castro, Colsaerts, Day, Hatton, Kaymer, Noren, Stenson and Vegas. Not a very good day so far for either of us - but as they say, "Tomorrow is another day" and I'm sure McIlroy and Johnson will reprieve themselves. All the best for the rest of the tournament. Some surprising scores today across the whole field.

Reckon if Mugilroy had spent less time recently commenting on the Rio Olympics and more time focusing on his putting he would have been better off. Once he made his decision on not competing he should have left it there.

DJ just hit the wall I reckon. My captain as well. :(

Lost McIlroy, Johnson + Colsaerts to the cut so -15 pts but still got 7 decent scoring chances. Come on you Gardeners!!!

• Advertisement

Forgot Mugilroy was my captain so it could be -20 points depending on how they do the counting nowadays. Hard to tell really.

Lads, it seems like you guys are using my saying Mugilroy, that's all well and good but I need to see some royalties! That's copyright!

Sorry mate - here's (10 quid).

Sorry mate - here's (10quid).

Am l going out of my mind or have the clowns got all the scores wrong again??? Looks like they've scored it as a normal round instead of a bonus round. That could be the last straw for me. Tosspots running it and alleged cheaters taking part - why bother!!! Thanks for all the fun boys, I scored well over the Top 20 scores this week but was still unable to get amongst them. All the best Baudsers - good luck for the future.

Am l going out of my mind or have the clowns got all the scores wrong again??? Looks like they've scored it as a normal round instead of a bonus round. That could be the last straw for me. Tosspots running it and alleged cheaters taking part - why bother!!! Thanks for all the fun boys, I scored well over the Top 20 scores this week but was still unable to get amongst them. All the best Baudsers - good luck for the future.

You're right!

From the start of the game and right to the very end it has been a disaster. One cock-up after another. Let's hope these clowns are shown the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭DublinKev

The game was beset by inefficiencies and confusion, from start to finish. I'd be loathe to play again next year, with this current format and this company running it. The Irish Times needs to give some serious consideration to whomped get to operate this game in the future.

Congrats to the winners nevertheless, and congrats to Jimmy Walker, I had him for long stretches at the start of the season, I think he's a deserving major winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Johnny86

I was going to commiserate DeChambeau Era on missing out on 3rd by just 10pts but perhaps he'll get 3rd when the points are corrected seeing he had Day as captain

Not that it matters too much to me but I've just noticed that I haven't received any points for Younghan Song - he made the cut so I should have received 7 points (or 5 points!). The clowns probably don't realise that Young-han Song who finished T56 is one and the same person.

Yeah scores wrong again! I guess it's an apt way to see out the competition, I hope DeChambeau Era makes the Top 3 at the very least, losing it by 10pts would be cruel! Make sure you keep us updated of any replies from the organisers. See ya next year Macduff!

Anyone play the official PGA Tour fantasy? Any good? I presume it's pointless joining now but I might have a look to play it next season....

• Advertisement

My final analysis for the season - interesting and somewhat baffling.
    Of the Top 20 Team choices for the PGA Championship, only 49/200 scored additional pts. (12 x 2nd, 1 x 4th, 8 x T7, 11 x T10, 5 x T13, 1 x T18 and 11 x T22). A further 76/200 made the cut with 75/200 missing it. The only extra scoring captains were 1 x Day, 2 x Stenson and 1 x Spieth. 4 other captains actually made the cut meaning quite a lot didn't.
    20 out of the top 32 scoring places weren't even picked.
    How the hell did the Top 20 get to be the Top 20?
    I am currently sitting at 31st (as long as the scoring remains as it is) but would expect to move up slightly if they use the promised format They gave me 1019 pts when I should have had 1523. I wont hold my breath.
    Best of luck players!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭paintitblack

Scores seem to be updated now. DeChambeau Era up to 3rd now so congrats. Possibly should be higher! 52nd overall for me and 3rd this month so happy enough. Whole thing was quite shambolic though.

Received this earlier today from the numpties:-

"Hi there

Thank you for your email.
    Our technical team will look into this and the points will get corrected soon.
    We are sorry for the inconvenience and hope you will continue to enjoy the game.

Regards

Support Team"

Seems it's now sorted - moved up to 25th overall. Why did I go for an over-confident, out of sorts McIlroy as captain when I could have gone for a distressed, out of sorts, tired out, full of flu and over dramatic world No 1 and come 10th. Ahhh the beauty of hindsight.
    Unless the providers are changed for next year I suspect I won't be bothering - too much hassle.
    Regards
    Macduff Gardener - sat in the back garden in Macduff (Royal Tarlair GC just 200 yds down the road).

Points corrected alright but not fully correct. Still no points for Younghan Song!

Gutted!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jackboland

Johnny86 wrote: »
    I was going to commiserate DeChambeau Era on missing out on 3rd by just 10pts but perhaps he'll get 3rd when the points are corrected seeing he had Day as captain

I knew I was safe once the 150% kicked in, I had to go Day(c) as 2nd, 3rd and 4th went Rory. It looks like we have managed to get the teams from the Golf Fans league removed. Both Quiet Please and lucky10 were removed from the top20 in the paper today!

I'll happily take 2nd, especially considering the winner forgot to change their team for the Open and had Stenson(c). Just happy the 10k didn't go to the cheaters.The Whingers should be happy out now too, great stuff!

Anyone here play the PGA Tour fantasy?

My first week ever playing it, it's quite interesting. I haven't a clue of good tactics and I'm not sure of the rules yet either regards subbing players in... Seems like having players near the top of the leaderboards doesn't necessarily mean a good team, points for long straight drives and good approaches etc, you'd probably need to look deeper at stats to see who good picks are, anyway I'm sure I'll learn over the next few weeks and gear up to win it next season!

P.s if DeChambeau Era is reading, let us know the latest!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭pooman

Ye been playing it all season with a bunch of lads, there's a handful of tournaments where the scoring is to par but in general the points are awarded for how you play over the 18 holes, not your overall score.

If you want to know the correlation between scoring to par and a big long hitter who can't putt, Jim Furyk's 58 got him around 145 points for the round, whereas you might see a lad shoot 90 points for a lvel par round.

This week I've Jb Holmes, just looking at his scoring he got me 7 points for a par on his first hole today, and 1 point for a par on his 5th hole. He birdied his 7th hole for 8 points.

Need to get used to it but it's good craic, you've 4 +2 subs, you can sub in a lad in between rounds so long as the two in question haven't started their next round and you need to follow who might miss the cut and sub them out.

finally in the final round start the 4 of the 6 who you think will finish highest up the leaderboard as theyre are bonus points for final positioning, typically 10% of fed ex points on offer for that tournment

pooman wrote: »
    Ye been playing it all season with a bunch of lads, there's a handful of tournaments where the scoring is to par but in general the points are awarded for how you play over the 18 holes, not your overall score.

If you want to know the correlation between scoring to par and a big long hitter who can't putt, Jim Furyk's 58 got him around 145 points for the round, whereas you might see a lad shoot 90 points for a lvel par round.

This week I've Jb Holmes, just looking at his scoring he got me 7 points for a par on his first hole today, and 1 point for a par on his 5th hole. He birdied his 7th hole for 8 points.

Need to get used to it but it's good craic, you've 4 +2 subs, you can sub in a lad in between rounds so long as the two in question haven't started their next round and you need to follow who might miss the cut and sub them out.

finally in the final round start the 4 of the 6 who you think will finish highest up the leaderboard as theyre are bonus points for final positioning, typically 10% of fed ex points on offer for that tournment

Cheers for the reply, I found out that unfortunately you need to be a U.S resident to be eligible for the prizes, so I'd need to get in a money league or something next year to maintain any interest, I have stuck 3 teams in again this week but didn't put much thought in except as you mentioned I did pick a few big hitters.

I found a different game though via the European Tour site, a site called PLAYON where you can enter weekly tournaments for a fee from 5-50 quid I think. I entered one for the Czech Open for 5euro and it had a 500 guaranteed prize pool, but only 48 entered it (one guy has 9 teams in it) so there is a big overlay there, I don't know if it's the same every week but good value and it gives me a good interest. You have to pick 7 players from a 100m budget but some of the prices are crazy like 21m for Pieters 22m for Sullivan etc etc so you need to pick some seriously cheap and mainly poor players, but I like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

just completed a survey of my experience of the irish times fantasy golf. Safe to say, it wasnt pleasant. I linked this thread to them, hopefully they will get it sorted for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭fluff_daddy

No word of this starting up again?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Probably just as well.

:'(

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭mike2084

Site says next game in 15 days so should be back for the Masters.

https://fantasygolf.irishtimes.com/

cheers yea, i checked and seen some changes on this today and now looks like ya cant login,

fingers crossed its not the same format as last year :mad:

Full page ad in the Sports supplement of The Irish Times with list of players and some rules. Announces that it's COMING SOON..............

Some highlights from the rules

1 free transfer per week and 2 with the Tues/Wed Irish Times paper - presumably a pin code
    €80m budget for 8 players - one new aspect - players values will change depending on their real life performances

First deadline in April 6th (!!) so seems it's as well organised as last year's was.

• Advertisement

jimmers wrote: »
    Full page ad in the Sports supplement of The Irish Times with list of players and some rules. Announces that it's COMING SOON..............

Some highlights from the rules

1 free transfer per week and 2 with the Tues/Wed Irish Times paper - presumably a pin code
    €80m budget for 8 players - one new aspect - players values will change depending on their real life performances

First deadline in April 6th (!!) so seems it's as well organised as last year's was.

Thanks for that,any chance of a bit more info!?! Maybe a pic !?!

Thanks for that,any chance of a bit more info!?! Maybe a pic !?!

https://fantasygolf.irishtimes.com/

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Hi lads,

I've been running the boards fantasy football cash league for past 5 seasons, just received a PM asking would I do the same for the Times fantasy golf.

Would be happy to arrange if there was interest in it. With FF we just have a league with an entry fee (anything from 20-50) and prizes are paid depending on number of entrants. Full pot is given as prizes, no commission taken.

Drop me a pm or discuss on here if you think this could be a bit of craic.

The game is LIVE! At link above.

Does not look like much has changed, so it's still sh1t! The lottery of not knowing who's playing the following week is still there, and with only 3 transfers and no roll overs, I can't see myself giving it much time unless I have a super start the first couple of weeks. I was hoping for a complete revamp of the point scoring system too, it's so boring! Should be points for birdies and Eagles as well as finishing positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Hi lads,

I've been running the boards fantasy football cash league for past 5 seasons, just received a PM asking would I do the same for the Times fantasy golf.

Would be happy to arrange if there was interest in it. With FF we just have a league with an entry fee (anything from 20-50) and prizes are paid depending on number of entrants. Full pot is given as prizes, no commission taken.

Drop me a pm or discuss on here if you think this could be a bit of craic.

I'd be interested in this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Does not look like much has changed, so it's still sh1t! The lottery of not knowing who's playing the following week is still there, and with only 3 transfers and no roll overs, I can't see myself giving it much time unless I have a super start the first couple of weeks. I was hoping for a complete revamp of the point scoring system too, it's so boring! Should be points for birdies and Eagles as well as finishing positions.

Years ago it used to run from February to September and you were limited to 10 transfers a season! I prefer more restricted transfers as you have to plan ahead but you should be able to roll transfers up alright.

The scoring system is fine, it's finishing position that matters in golf not how many birdies and eagles you get.

The pricing of players is awful again. It should be far more staggered. 0.5m difference between someone like DJ/Rory and the likes of Sergio/Scott when you have an 80m budget is stupid. Then only another 0.5m back to someone like willet.

qwabercd wrote: »
    Years ago it used to run from February to September and you were limited to 10 transfers a season! I prefer more restricted transfers as you have to plan ahead but you should be able to roll transfers up alright.

The scoring system is fine, it's finishing position that matters in golf not how many birdies and eagles you get.

The pricing of players is awful again. It should be far more staggered. 0.5m difference between someone like DJ/Rory and the likes of Sergio/Scott when you have an 80m budget is stupid. Then only another 0.5m back to someone like willet.

It's hard to plan ahead on the PGA Tour when the field doesn't get announced until I believe the Friday before an event, so I don't know for sure who'll play in the RBC Heritage after the Masters, so not easy to figure out who to have that'll play both events, obv I can check last years field but that's no guarantee I guess.

As far as the points go, yes finishing position is important I'd keep that the same, but I would add points for other stuff as well just to make it more interesting, points for making Birdies, Eagles Par etc would make it more important to pick players who make the cut too, just a personal preference.

Agree about the prices, very badly done again and a complete eyesore of a site too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bane_86

I have emailed them twice about this. No word from them.
    Has anyone been able to use last years sign in details or do we need to register again?

Bane_86 wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to use last years sign in details or do we need to register again?

No, I could not log in, I just re registered.

Bane_86 wrote: »

I had to register again

qwabercd wrote: »
    I'd be interested in this

We have 3 interested, I suppose if we get 6 it's a goer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,068 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

just received a PM asking would I do the same for the Times fantasy golf.

Why does this brings out the sceptic in me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Seve OB wrote: »
    Why does this brings out the sceptic in me?

You've got someone willing to run a league and your sceptical?

Is it not skeptical?

Anyhoo, no difference to me either way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement