Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auditioning for Newpark

Options
  • 02-02-2006 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭

Well it's time to choose what I wanna do with my life and a degree in Jazz Performance is very interesting.
    I've been doing jazz for awhile with Tommy Halferty and he suggested I go and try and get into Newpark, so here I am trying to decide a good piece to play at the audition. He mentioned Teen Town to me but, personally, it ain't one of my preferred Jaco songs. I was thinking, maybe, Chromatic Fantasy (I'm a sucker for Baroque). But what song would be good to play at the audition that will impress who ever is there (Guilfoyle or someone else)

Anyone wanna throw some suggestions at me? (In case you can't tell I'm a bassist!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 DjangoDjango

Hi Slurms,

Sorry I cant help you with your bass peice, I'm a guitarist myself, but I was curious to know what does a year in Newpark cost ?

I've always considered biting the bullet and going there, but don't know much about it. How difficult is the audition ?

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I haven't got all the info at the moment.

The audition consists of them judging how adept you are at your instrument and your command of it. You have to sight read an unseen piece aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 DjangoDjango

When you say 'sight read' a peice of music, is that from standard notation ?

Yeah the standard notation of your instrument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tania

Hey, Im currently a bass student in Newpark, and i have to addmit i used a bit of jaco into my audition what i did was make a meddle of two pieces part of chromatic fantasy and ran it into another of his "Amerika" and just some of my own licks then, and it worked! I think one of the main things their looking for is that u've a good sense of time so yes you should play an impressive piece but also like what i did was break it down to a good stong pulse groove of some form,to get their feet tapping, I even stuck in some Led Zeppelin:)!Its a great course though and
    would recomend it as a very big learning experience. Having Tommy as a teacher must give you an idea of the talent in the place he's a Legend!! Anyway best of luck with it... Tania

• Advertisement

Tania wrote:
    Hey, Im currently a bass student in Newpark, and i have to addmit i used a bit of jaco into my audition what i did was make a meddle of two pieces part of chromatic fantasy and ran it into another of his "Amerika" and just some of my own licks then, and it worked! I think one of the main things their looking for is that u've a good sense of time so yes you should play an impressive piece but also like what i did was break it down to a good stong pulse groove of some form,to get their feet tapping, I even stuck in some Led Zeppelin:)!Its a great course though and
    would recomend it as a very big learning experience. Having Tommy as a teacher must give you an idea of the talent in the place he's a Legend!! Anyway best of luck with it... Tania
    Thanks alot, if all goes according to plan I might see ya next year! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭crowbar188

You should have a read through this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=250096&highlight=newpark

It might answer some questions you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

crowbar188 wrote:
    You should have a read through this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=250096&highlight=newpark

It might answer some questions you have.
    Did you ever organise that Boards jam session? Sounds like a great idea.

Is there a part-time Jazz course in Newpark? If there is how much is it and when does it start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭crowbar188

Eh... im pretty sure i didnt ever say i was going to organise anything. Wrong person i think.

This is the only part-time jazz based course in Newpark i think -

http://www.newparkmusic.com/index.rvt/Jazz%20Improvisation.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

The course in Newpark is €3900 PER YEAR!! I'd love to do it but that ain't money i have lying around, it's possible that i could afford one year, but how i'd come up with that every year is a head scratcher.

• Advertisement

Im planning on a student grant and a loan.

is this course eligible for student grants? please explain!???

I hope so, its a 3rd level institue so it should be shouldn't it?
    either way if I get accepted im going. Money isnt gonna get in my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Cian

Slurms wrote:
    I hope so, its a 3rd level institue so it should be shouldn't it?
    either way if I get accepted im going. Money isnt gonna get in my way.

There are no grants available as a student in newpark, fyi. i'm thinking of applying this year and i looked into this.

Cian wrote:
    There are no grants available as a student in newpark, fyi. i'm thinking of applying this year and i looked into this.
    Thanks for the info, at least now I know im going into debt :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭The OP

LundiMardi wrote:
    The course in Newpark is €3900 PER YEAR!! I'd love to do it but that ain't money i have lying around, it's possible that i could afford one year, but how i'd come up with that every year is a head scratcher.

This is gonna sound absolutely insane, but what about.....A JOB?

quick thinking there man:rolleyes:

Out of interest, are you able to work part time, pay 4000 a year in educational costs, as well as pay rent, car insurance, tax, food, bills, loans... ???

Didn't think so.

LundiMardi wrote:
    quick thinking there man:rolleyes:

Out of interest, are you able to work part time, pay 4000 a year in educational costs, as well as pay rent, car insurance, tax, food, bills, loans... ???

Didn't think so.
    Yes. 1000's of students do it every year. It's only a matter of how much you want it. It's called making sacrifices and working your ass off for something you really want - it has been known to happen before.....

thousand of students also have mammy and daddy to help them out, and grants etc and a nice big savings account also...

Thousand of student do it yes, the majority have some form of financial backing however...

LundiMardi wrote:
    Thousand of student do it yes, the majority have some form of financial backing however...

Or some just go down the ol' fashioned 'hard work' route.

No point moaning about other people having "mammy and daddy" to pay for stuff - that's a lame & clichéd attitude to have, especially if it stops you pursuing your goals - "boo hoo, it's easier for other people, so why should I bother trying!".
    If you want the Newpark course bad enough, you'll just do it. Using the excuse that you dont have €4K "lying around" is nothing more than that: an excuse - so stop moaning, and either do the course or don't - money is only a simple obstacle that can be overcome with a job, and/or longer hours/harder work. My mate did the Newpark course a few years ago, and he SERIOUSLY worked his ass off in Xtra Vision with every hour available, and poured his heart and soul into the course - and he had no grant, or help from "mammy or daddy".
    Your defeatist attitude is sad. Follow the beaten path, sheepy!

• Advertisement

man, you're living in a dream world... Sometimes it's just not that easy. I have a full time job, i am not applying this year because i simply cannot afford it, i have bills and loans to pay, so please tell me where i am to get 4000 euro in the next few months when loans are not an option?

If you think it's a ''defeatest'' attitude, then fine, i don't really care. However, my attitude is realistic for MY situation, if i could quit my job, work part time and still LIVE i would. So don't go ****ing assuming that it's that easy to ''follow the dream'' JUST because you want it *that* much.

And to be quite honest, there's no way in hell your mate worked part time in extra vision and supported himself, paying his own rent, bills AND 4000 per year in educational costs without ANY help whatsoever..

LundiMardi wrote:
    And to be quite honest, there's no way in hell your mate worked part time in extra vision and supported himself, paying his own rent, bills AND 4000 per year in educational costs without ANY help whatsoever..

Eh, he did. I know that for a fact. He did almost a 40-hr week outside of college. Correct me if I'm wrong - but that's almost a fulltime job - i.e. more than enough to support yourself on, including paying back a student loan for the fees.
    Just because the thought of hard work makes you scared, doesn't mean other people don't put every available hour they have into pursuing something the love.

Paying back a student loan for fees? Oh right, so what would i do then? I can't get a student load as i already have outstanding loans! Again, you're thinking this is a dream world where all you gotta do is *want it bad enough*, hell, i'll do the course, work 60 hours a week, volunteer down at the orphanage on my days off and in the evenings i can work on that mustange i've been restoring since i was 12 and fúck the prom queen when i get home.

EVERYONE'S situation is different, if i could get a loan to pay for the first year, then i could probably do it and work part time, but i'm not in that position!! This is something you don't seem to comprehend.

LundiMardi wrote:
    Paying back a student loan for fees? Oh right, so what would i do then? I can't get a student load as i already have outstanding loans! Again, you're thinking this is a dream world where all you gotta do is *want it bad enough*, hell, i'll do the course, work 60 hours a week, volunteer down at the orphanage on my days off and in the evenings i can work on that mustange i've been restoring since i was 12 and fúck the prom queen when i get home.

EVERYONE'S situation is different, if i could get a loan to pay for the first year, then i could probably do it and work part time, but i'm not in that position!! This is something you don't seem to comprehend.

Dude, I don't care if you do the course or not - it doesn't affect me - but where there's a will, there's a way. Your will just isn't strong enough. And I am being realistic - lets look at the big picture here - it's just a COLLEGE COURSE you want to do, not world peace you're trying to achieve. If 'attending a college course, while supporting yourself and paying back loans' seems "unrealistic" for you to achieve, then you're going to have a bland life. "I can't do it - it's too hard. Waaaaah! I can't think of a workaround". Enjoy your 9-5, your credit card bills, your 2.3 children, your public transport, and your predictable life.
    Good luck....

man, you're talkin out of your arse

LundiMardi wrote:

I know. Sorry. It's just insane to think you could get a set of balls and just go for it, and pursue your goals. What was I thinking....

thinking out of your arse perhaps?

Anyway, not to worry man, no one blames you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 thedyingrebel

It may be possible to do it but I wouldn't suggest it and in reality is probably a not so good idea.Also it has gone up fro 2500 and less for some years (1500 for year 2 and 3 I think if I can remember) a few years ago to the whopping 3900-4000 I hear thrown about.

Take a year to work and save and then do it when things aren't as manic and time and money isn't an issue.no government backing will be a bitch but you can get the dole and rent allowance if your up for those hassles and do some voluntary work if you feel bad about cheating the state like I did!

But it's not unreasonable to think it's possible,I wouldn't do it that way though.

ah yeah man that's cool, that's what i was thinking of doing anyway, applying next year instead, the guitar is taking a bit of a back seat at the moment and i'm focusing on my drumming, so i might apply for that instead next year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

LundiMardi wrote:
    The OP wrote:
    I know. Sorry. It's just insane to think you could get a set of balls and just go for it, and pursue your goals. What was I thinking....
    No need to get personal lads.

The OP, cop on and butt out unless you've something constructive to say.

Advertisement