Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auditioning for Newpark

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭crowbar188

To be honest, its a bit of a catch 22 situation with Newpark. If you have to work during the college year to support yourself, it really does affect your performance in college, especially if youre working anywhere around 40 hrs a week. I dont think its worth your while doing the course if your gonna be working 40 hrs a week. Newpark courses are very self dependant in the sense that, if you dont put the work in at home, you wont pass.

The best thing, ive found, to do is work full time during the summer and save up as much money as you can and obviously pay for the course. Then just dont spend as much money as you usually might during a normal year. I did that last year and it worked, granted that i do live at home so i dont have rent/bills to pay. I have tried working during the college year, but i found it really gets in the way of your practice. And i figured, the reason i was working was to save up the money for next year, but whats the point in saving up the money for next year if i dont even pass this year due to working so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Yeah im on a year out this year workin a horribly depressing 9-6 week in the hospital so that i can save up enough to go. Its a sacrifice but the prospect of one day going is enough to get me through it. The prospect of having to work part time as well as do the course at the same time isnt too attractive. Nice to hear that simply being tight with one's savings worked for someone :D .
    Whats the standard age for ppl entering this course? Just wondering as my plan is to get a basic degree in something like arts here in galwee (to appease the folks) then head off to hopefully follow my dream. Anyone else doing something like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

i've also decided to save for next year.. i'm going to take up instrument tuition there in the mean time, i would imagine it would give a slight advantage to gaining access to the full time course next year.. I'll be doing drums and guitar, don't know what instrument i'll choose for the jazz performance course though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Just so you know man, theres a kinda Newpark open day on Sunday in TBMC. And afterwards in JJ Smyths Tommy Halferty will be playing with Keith Copeland.
    Even if you're set on not going this year, it would be worth the trip to see what its like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

thanks for the heads up man..

Does anyone here know the instrument tuition costs in Newpark?

• Advertisement
Advertisement