Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The fate of Irish Lightships

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BoltzmannBrain

Anyone got knowledge of the SS Isolda?

Theres some good info on a bbc page (WW2 Peoples war) but then that's about all I can find. There's also a PDF "A hell of an experience" by Richard Butler on the medal society of Ireland but there's a pay wall.

I particularly want to know is what the Germans had to say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DavidGD

Can't help with Isolda I'm afraid.

Just a brief report this week, following on from the bit on rails last time. Obviously the rope rail will not provide the leaning on and admiring the horizon type facility, but will help to stop people falling overboard. From both a safety and an aesthetic viewpoint there is a need for some sort of secondary rail between the deck and the rope rail. We did think of another rope rail, but it would have to be fixed inboard or outboard of the stanchions, which would look a bit odd. A taught wire going through the stanchions would be unobtrusive and would lend strength to the whole structure (Photo 1251).
    We have found some galvanised shelf brackets which look man enough to support the new stanchions and will avoid having to cut, bend, drill and paint 105 flat steel strips! Fixing the rope to the top of each stanchion is not so easy. I found a pipe clamp in a plumbing shop (Photo 1252) but it looks a bit flimsy. Any ideas anyone?
    David

Well, no ideas from anyone yet. I have found another candidate for securing the ‘rail-rope’. It is normally used for holding soil pipes (Photo 1261).
    I doubt if it will take the load if someone falls against the rail, so it may be necessary to install another taught wire just below the rope (Photo 1262), although I am hoping that one of you will come up with a better solution!
    Meanwhile, Simon has not been idle. He has acquired a trailer-full of oil-based paint (Photo 1263) which, if nothing else, can be used as undercoat all over the ship!
    David

My historical research has been virtually moribund lately. I have only two irons in the fire – or rather two straws in the wind !
    I have a reader in New Zealand whose great uncle served on Irish lightships. If the old chap agrees, I will go across to Ireland to meet him and try to record some of his memories of that service. Such memories should not be allowed to just fade away. I don’t suppose for a minute that he served aboard Cormorant – but you never know.
    David Ryan, who helped me so much on my visit to Dublin, has passed on the name of a contact in the National Archives over there. He apparently works with maritime records, so there may be some digging to do there. Perhaps I could meet up with the great uncle and the archivist on the same trip.
    On the preservation front, besides acquiring a sample of the rope/rail clamp (see last post), I have also bought a sample of a contender for the stanchion brackets. They are galvanised brackets with one arm 10”; one arm 12”; and are quite substantial, weighing about 1.5 lb a piece (Photo 1271).
    Each stanchion will have to have a bespoke fitting as not only is the bulwark a bit ‘irregular’, the ship was made slightly banana-shaped to assist drainage. So it slopes down from bow to amidships and then rises to the stern. They managed in 1878, so there is no reason we cannot manage in 2016.
    I did think Simon was going to have the ship dressed overall for Christmas. Well he has managed to string up some festive lights (Photo 1272), but night time photography is obviously not his strong point!

A Happy Christmas to all our readers.
    David

Simon is here for Christmas, so we have been able to talk through things (many things!) about the ship. I have done a mock-up of the stanchions for him (Photo 1281) and, having seen the sample bracket, Simon is happy that they will do the job. When painted with the same dark paint as the bulwark and stanchions, the brackets will ‘disappear’.
    Looking forward to Spring, Simon is determined to get going below deck. Ideally it will all be de-rusted and spray-sealed by the time Summer arrives.
    So now, for 2015 at least, it’s goodbye from Santa Claus me (I did not have access to a fancy dress shop) …..(Phot 1282) and it’s goodbye from him (he didn’t need a fancy dress shop!).(Photo 1283)

David

• Advertisement

My New Year’s resolution (well one of them anyway) is to get the historical research going again. I am trying to kick start it by setting out a few facts, dates and names, which I hope will produce a reaction from one of my readers along the lines of “Hey, that could be Grandpa, I will see if there is anything in his old photo album”. Hope springs eternal……

1876/8 - Lightship ‘Cormorant’ built at the Cork Shipbuilding Co., Passage West, Ireland, for the Commissioners for Irish Lights (CIL). NB: Not at the Victoria Shipbuilding Co., which did not exist.
    1880 - A specification for lightships was produced by CIL. The authors were W. Douglass, Joshua Cole Com. R.N., and Alex.F Boxer.
    Early 1900s – The Secretary of CIL was C.G(?).Cook.
    Inspection tours of Irish lightships were carried out by a ‘touring party’ of wardens from CIL. Members included Sir W. Watson, Sir Robert Ball (Astronomer Royal of Ireland) and Messrs Douglass, Knight, Thompson, Scovell, Scott, and Foot. Captains Niall, Walker, Deane, Birt and Henning.
    1942 - Cormorant sold by CIL to the Belfast Harbour Commissioners (BHC). Survey carried out in Dublin by James Maxton and Co (Marine Surveyors). Modifications done at the Liffey Shipyards in Dublin.
    1943 - Cormorant towed to Belfast by John Cooper (Tug Owner).
    Ship renamed ‘Lady Dixon’ after a Commissioner’s wife Lady Dixon D.B.E. J.P.
    BHC Pilotage Committee members included Sir Ernest Herdman D.L. (Chair), Messrs Berkeley, Davidson, Gotto, Hamilton and Stewart. Pilots Craig and Hurst.
    1943-1960 Pilot Masters included J.Owens, D.Hunt, A.P.Kennedy and R.Craig. Pilots included E.W.Evans, F.J.Hurst, H.C.Ryding, A.G.Starkey, J.Auld, J.A.Patton, J.H.Holmes, A.M.Calmont, G.D.Clelland, G.Hamilton and A.Trace.
    7 Sep 1958 – The crew of the Lady Dixon saved three people from a capsized yacht.
    1960 - Lady Dixon deemed too expensive to repair and was retired. The pilots then operated from a shore station in Carrickfergus.
    1961 - Sold to G.A.Lee Ltd., Earl Street, Belfast and swiftly on to Arnold Thompson of Slough, where it began its ill-fated career as a pirate radio station GBOK.

There are many common names in that lot, but a few unusual ones too, which may trigger something. Any information or leads will be gratefully received. On the four nautical/ historical sites I am running this saga, the visitor total has just passed 100,000 so there should be someone out there who can help!
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BoltzmannBrain

Hi DavidGD, Just read your blog, pretty impressive the restoration you two have carried out.

Thanks for that. There is still a long wayto go!!
    David

In my last post I forgot to mention the 1916 Easter Rising episode when Cormorant was requisitioned by the Royal Navy on 1 May to house prisoners and handed back on 3 May. The Kingstown Naval Base Commander was Capt H.F. Aplin RN and the Irish Lights Superintendent was F.R.Foot. I have copies of the correspondence between Mr Foot and Capt Aplin. I also have a copy of the entry in Capt Aplin’s service record showing he was brought out of retirement and posted to Kingstown on 28 Dec 1915.
    I also chose the wrong source for the details on the Lady Dixon’s foray into Pirate Radio. In 1961 John Thompson of Slough set up a company called “The Voice of Slough Ltd” which aimed to set up a commercial radio station in an ex-fishing boat. Arnold Swanson (a Canadian) provided finance, but subsequently left the project when it ran into difficulties and set up his own project GBOK (Great Britain OK). He bought the Lady Dixon to house the station, but it is not clear from whom.

For some time now Simon has been flying a skull & crossbones flag on the ship. For Christmas I bought him something more appropriate. After all, she is registered as an historic vessel with National Historic Ships UK. From them I obtained a ‘Defaced Ensign’, which is a normal red ensign with their logo added (Photo 1301). Such defacement sounds illegal but it is approved and even comes with a certificate.
    You may remember a little puzzle I was investigating back in late August last year. Two smart doors in a photograph sent to me by Tony Lane (Photo 1302), turned out to be elaborate windows and the question was where they were/are located on the ship. The photo was taken by him in 2002.
    I tried to match the walkway structure visible through the right hand window, but even with an on the spot inspection in October, I could not find anything similar. The clear view across to that blue boat should have given me a clue, as there has long been a boat moored opposite Simon on the other side of the walkway, which would obstruct the view. Well recently I have been toying with the idea of writing a proper history of Cormorant, putting things in chronological order, with appropriate photos. Whilst putting some of these photos into a special file, I came across one taken in 1997, when she first arrived at Hoo (Photo 1303). At that time she was moored right at the end of the walkway, at least a ship’s length from her current mooring. As you can see, there was nothing moored next to her and there would have been a clear view across the marina. More significantly the structure of the walkway at this point is so similar to that seen through the window, that I am sure it is the same (Photo 1304).
    The windows therefore must be on the port side and as there are no triangular ceiling fillets in the kitchen and there are two in the photo, the windows must be the ones in the living room/ salon/ wardroom. They are now plain double glazed modern windows unfortunately.
    Not an earth shattering discovery, but somehow a satisfying little bit of detective work!
    David

Talking of detective work, Mervyn Hagger has been corresponding with me and given me a brand new take on pirate radio stations. He is firmly of the opinion that a lot of people have been and still are repeating myths originated for the specific purpose of creating obfuscation, and consequently everything from BBC to Wikipedia archives (which he reckons are always dodgy), are parroting back stuff that is entirely bogus. The real story of offshore radio is somewhat mind-boggling and it is not the story that the fans of offshore radio (1960-1968), think that it is.
    Arnold Swanson was Canadian by birth. He had no money and was a vacuum cleaner salesman and not an expert in anything - except conmanship. On top of which he was exposed in the British press as a fraud, and in Canada he was convicted of 'Saville-like' crimes and his wife divorced him.
    Thompson had spent time in Canada. There was obviously a split-off from Thompson by Swanson, but Thompson retained a lucrative underwriting radio sponsorship, while Swanson seems to have gained control of the Lady Dixon, while Thompson had a mere 70 ton motor boat.
    This and more from ‘proper’ researchers like Mervyn, Chris Edwards (Offshore Echos Magazine) and Jon Myers (Pirate Radio Hall of Fame). I very much welcome guidance from such stalwarts to keep me away from untruths and Chinese whispers, such as the often quoted origin of Cormorant – the Victoria Shipbuilding Co. I discovered that no such firm existed and she was built by the Cork Harbour Docks and Warehouse Company, who owned the Victoria dock.
    Mervyn sent me one tit-bit that Chris Edwards found during his research at the national Archives, Kew – I really must get down there! This is an extract from an official memo dated 13 February 1962.

The Controller,
    Further to my report dated 5th February, 1962, on 6th February 1 received a press cutting from the Scottish edition of the "Sunday Pictorial, dated 4th February, 1962, from which it will be seen that Mr Arnold Swanson gave an interview to a reporter in which he said that he had invested £30,000 into the scheme for commercial broadcasting from a ship, that he had sold £100,000 worth of advertising time, that the broadcasting station would operate from a converted lightship flying the flag of Monaco and moored off Southend. The call sign of the station was stated to be "GBOK". As a result of this information I made enquiry of Trinity House and ascertained that four lightship vessels were sold in 1959. The disposal is stated to have been as follows:- ……….
    J Johnstone
    The memo goes on to detail investigation into the disposal of the Trinity House vessels – red herrings! Mr Johnstone also investigated Scottish Lights, to no avail. He missed out the real source – Irish Lights.
    David

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Yes I saw that report some years ago (or one very like it). I tried to contact the owner of the business but I guess he had too many pound signs in his eyes. I just wanted to save some of the artifacts before it is too late. As I said in an earlier post, the vessel has been so extensively altered and so badly neglected, that it would take huge amounts of money to rescue it and to 'restore' it.

For those of you who wonder why Simon took on his monumental task (I am one of them) and how he has remained enthusiastic and optimistic through some pretty difficult times, the obvious answer is the sense of achievement when progress is made – especially against those difficulties. The other answer is the pleasure that his habitat often gives him. In spite of some inclement weather at this time of year, there are tranquil periods to be enjoyed. Recently he removed one of the pictures which cover the windows in his living quarters, and created an instant ‘picture window’ (Photo 1321).

The views and (absence of) sound-track are so much better than those of his flat in London (Photo 1322). Have a look at this one full screen to get the full effect!

To cap it all the swans come calling (Photo 1323).
    David

I think Simon and I now agree that the air driven nail chisel hammer is not the correct tool for removing all the peeling paint and loose rust down below. At a rough estimate there is about 1700 sq ft to tackle (Photo 1331) and the chisel method is too slow and too exhausting. The photo shows only the rear 25% of the lower deck area!
    So, we are looking at DIY blasting and we have come across a ‘28 Gallon Abrasive Sand Blaster with Built in Vacuum’ (Photo 1332). The blurb states that it not only blasts, but it vacuums up the debris and even sorts the crud from the abrasive material. It sounds good, but I wonder. If any of my readers have any experience of such machines, or can advise on other perhaps more suitable models, please get in touch.
    David

Have you all hibernated for the winter? I wouldn’t blame you actually - rain, rain, rain and cold, cold, cold. If this is global warming, please can we go back to the old climate?
    I have had a couple of supportive comments about the blasting machine, but nothing in the way of advice or information, except for the retailer who suggested a straightforward 20 gallon blaster (i.e. without the vacuum facility). It will be quicker and use less abrasive, but cleaning up the mess will be horrific. The lower deck stops where the ribs begin and there is a gap down to the bilges (Photo 1341).
    In its prime there was a wall of tongue & groove planks from floor to ceiling covering the ribs – and the gap. I am not sure we want the bilges to have even more crud down there. I suppose it would be possible to stuff each gap with something to catch the debris. I suppose we could stuff something in each gap to catch the debris as we moved along. Whichever machine we choose it is going to take time and effort. Is there anyone reading this who would like to volunteer a few days labour to help preserve this historic vessel?
    There is a deafening silence from my ‘contact’ at the National Archives. Perhaps he is away on a research project. What a pity Kew is such a long way from N Wales and you could say the same about the ship!!
    David

Blast it! I’m not swearing, I’m just identifying the problem. We have moved forward a little in that there seems to be little doubt that the best way to remove the peeling paint and loose rust down below, is to wet blast it. For those of you who have not come across this method, crushed glass is mixed with water and the slurry is propelled against the surface to be cleaned. On impact the glass breaks up further and is carried away, with the paint and rust particles, by the water. There is no need to wear a full breathing outfit as you have to do with dry blasting – a face mask will do. On the ship the used slurry/paint/rust mixture will find its way into the bilges. The bilge pump will have to put in some overtime, but at least there will be no sweeping and shovelling.
    If that sounds too good to be true, it is! The blasting needs a compressor delivering over 150 cfm, which is far more than my DIY compressor can manage (14cfm). This job needs a trailer mounted compressor such as you see being used when the council digs up the road with pneumatic drills. Getting one of those out to the ship along the narrow walkway (Photo 1351) is out of the question. Does anyone know of a boat mounted compressor?
    The obvious way to get round this problem would be to get the ship into a dry dock where the compressor trailer could come alongside. While it is in the dock we could apply some TLC the hull. There is a dry dock about 7 miles upstream from Simon, but the economics are daunting. In addition to the tug fees there and back, it costs about £400 to enter the dock, £400 a week while it’s in there and £400 to get out again and that’s before any work is done!! Does anyone know of an historic ship preservation fund?
    David

We may be getting somewhere, on funding; history; and blasting. Several people have kindly offered suggestions on these topics.
    I have a short list of possible funders, which I will contact. However, having run a small charity for a number of years and having been Trustee of a grant-making foundation, I know just how difficult it is to make a connection between the two. Cormorant / Lady Dixon / The Lightship is way past any hope of restoring her as a lightship and anyway, which of her incarnations should be recreated if we had unlimited funds? The best we can do is to preserve what is there and extend her working life – as a houseboat. This will preserve an important piece of maritime history (she is one of only four large ‘composite’ ships still in existence) and save her from the fate that awaits Ena, sadly being prepared for her last journey to the wooden ships’ graveyard nearby (Photo 1361).
    Mervyn Hagger sent snippets of information from George Saunders who said that A. N. Thomas, the BBC's Head of Planning and Installation Department, retired from a lifetime of BBC service around 1960 and began advising the embryonic offshore stations such as VRN, CNBC and GBOK (Lady Dixon). He seems to have equipped the Lady Dixon with an old BBC 5kW Marconi transmitter (Photo 1362) while the ship was 'stuck in the mud' at Pitsea. The GPO who were monitoring every move, then pounced and removed all the equipment. Under the 1949 Wireless Telegraphy Act it was illegal to install a transmitter without a license. Which just goes to show it doesn’t do to be a stick-in-the-mud!
    We have found a wet-blasting firm who can indeed stretch out 150 yards to the ship with their blasts. The large compressor will have to stay on terra firma, but the blast machine is small enough to move along the walkway and be put aboard. So either air is pumped out to it via a long air hose, or it stays with the compressor and the blast hose is the one that stretches. Either way it is not an inexpensive hire – about £1,200 per week not counting expendables. I had better get going on those funding requests!
    David

Oh dear. That which we were all dreading has come to pass. Ena has departed to the ship’s graveyard (Photo 1371). Old age and neglect have ruined a once proud vessel and with nobody willing to come to the rescue, she has been doomed for some time. It is awful to think that she was the subject of an expensive TV restoration within the last decade and was up for sale more recently for £85,000. The graveyard and a gradual disintegration is her future, surrounded by the other wrecks on the shore of the Medway Estuary (Photo 1372 and 1373). You can see where she was patched up to keep enough water out for long enough to dump her.
    On a more cheerful note, I have written to eight possible grant makers, just to see whether this project fits their ‘philanthropic profile’. If there are any positive responses I will agree with Simon a list of work packages. I do not think that we will be fortunate enough to find a single donor who will take on the bulk of the project, so there will have to be a series of applications, tailored to each donor. Notice the optimist belief that there will be multiple donors! The priority order will need some thought, but dry docking and hull maintenance must be high on the list. Wet blasting the inner hull below deck will be another package and Simon is in contact with a boatyard in Chatham who reckon there will be no problem doing the blasting 150 yards from shore. The spray insulation down below is another package. Fingers crossed.
    Mervyn Hagger has come up with another historical snippet. On October 10, 1961 the 'Voice of Slough' project was reported by a newspaper account. However, by December 1961, Arnold Swanson moved in on the Voice of Slough and then started his own GBOK project (on cormorant/Lady Dixon) which was announced in the Southend Standard on 15th February 1962. This stated that the station would be broadcasting music, features and advertising 24 hours a day from a former lightship anchored near The Nore - the same location as had been planned for the Voice of Slough's broadcasting vessel, starting on 28th February 1962. When GBOK was raided the original Voice of Slough re-emerged under the new name of GBLN. While the GBOK project did not succeed, Andrew N. Thomas, top ex-BBC transmitter engineer had been behind the engineering side.
    David

STOP PRESS: Our first funder response arrived today – positive but not until next year.

It has been a bad couple of weeks for Simon, culminating in the loss of his dog Molly. She was about 14, although as he rescued her (Battersea Dogs’ Home), her exact age was uncertain. His laptop also bit the dust. It never rains……
    Meanwhile he hopes to see a very confident wet-blaster, who declares that he can overcome any problem to get below decks cleaned up. I hope that does not mean that he expects Simon to pay ‘whatever it takes’!!
    More history. The Andrew N. Thomas I spoke of last time, joined Arnold Swanson and John Thompson on the "Voice of Slough" project. At that time Thompson had a small boat called 'Ellen' in Scotland. Then Swanson broke away - with Andrew N. Thomas - and set up Adanac using Lady Dixon and a former WWII 'N' series 5kW transmitter as later used by BBC Third Programme. This venture crashed with the 'invasion' of the GPO who confiscated all the radio equipment. That was the end of the Lady Dixon’s pirate radio career. I have not yet ascertained what she looked like at this stage in her life, but 30 years later she still had her mizzen and was painted bright red – not to be confused with the red of Trinity House lightships (Photo 1381). Incidentally, I do wonder why Irish Lights insisted in painting their lightships black – not a colour easily seen on a dark, foggy night!!
    David

Lots of tit-bits lately concerning the Cormorant’s, or as she was by then, the Lady Dixon’s short-lived venture into pirate radio. These items come from Mervyn Hagger, Chris Edwards and their colleagues, who are working very hard to unearth the true story of the pirate radio era. Apparently much of what is commonly accepted as the truth is actually far from it. The items include reports from local newspapers and other publications. From the WPN & Advertisers’ Review, 16 Feb 1962:-

NEW “PIRATE” RADIO STATION PROMOTERS REVEAL THEIR PLANS
    Radio Station GBOK – located in international waters at the Nore in the Thames Estuary – is to start 24-hour broadcasting to an area within a 150-mile radius of the transmitter on February 28th.
    The company is headed by 56-year-old Canadian-born Arnold Swanson, who was originally technical adviser to “Voice of Slough”, a similar radio station planned by 42-year-old John Thompson, ex-journalist and Canadian broadcaster, He has now shelved his own plans to concentrate with Mr Swanson on GBOK.
    GBOK will be situated on a Pilot Station and Lightship which will perform all the normal functions and duties of a lightship to sea traffic.

That ‘Pilot Station and Lightship’ was the Lady Dixon and, as we know, she never made it. I do wonder how she was going to ‘perform all the normal functions and duties of a lightship to sea traffic’ when her main mast, lantern and all heavy equipment were due to be removed as part of her preparation. Chris has sent me a photo from the National Archives of Lady Dixon waiting at the dockside for that conversion, (Photo 1391) which is the first photo I have come across of the ship between her working in Belfast Lough in 1957 and that 1991 photo of her painted bright red at Sittingbourne. She still has PILOT painted on her sides and sits low in the water, indicating that not only is the lantern still there but all the heavy machinery and anchor chains are down below. Thank you Chris (and the National Archives).
    Just after receiving that photo, I learned of a photo of the Lady Dixon, which was published in the Times newspaper on 10th March 1962, just before she got stuck in the Pitsea mud. It cost me £33 to buy a copy and it should be here soon, but I will not be sharing it with you as they want another £75 to waive the copyright. Strange that it should cost anything to share a photograph of something you actually own!
    George Clarke’s Amazing Spaces team has contacted Simon to ask whether he wants his project to appear on the program. Simon is already two years into the project and will probably be still going in another two years, so it is likely to be too long a timespan for television.
    Finally, Simon has been advised by an experienced ‘wet-blaster’ that he would be better off getting a small team of labourers in for a week to strip the below-deck area by hand, rather than any sort of blasting. He would have to take a week off from his wallpapering business to supervise, but any lost revenue would probably be off-set by the difference in costs between manual scraping and wet-blasting.
    David

More detective work. I am trying to pin down the movements of the 'Lady Dixon' during her brief, failed dash to become the very first UK pirate radio station. There are a few pieces of evidence.
    1. Chris Edwards sent me a copy of a letter from Rex Gilder, O.C. of the London S.I.O. (whatever that is) to the I.O.W.T. (whoever that is) dated 28 Feb 62. Mr Gilder states “The Lady Dixon is 'neaped at Pitsea and it is not anticipated that the vessel will be moved until March 6th approximately”. A boat that is neaped has gone aground on a mild tide and needs a spring tide or stormy waters to float it off. The boat is only barely aground, as opposed to being hard aground. As there are only two extra high tides each month, you do not moor a boat where it can be neaped, unless you do not intend to shift it for some time. However, Mr Gilder's wording indicates that LD got caught, rather than a deliberate positioning. Hence other reports saying that LD was stuck in the mud at Pitsea and needed two attempts to be towed off.
    Why was LD taken to Pitsea? Pitsea Creek is a very narrow, muddy creek with no apparent facilities to moor a 90ft ship, let alone to do serious conversion work on her. Further down towards the Thames the waterway does get wider, but by then it ceases to be Pitsea Creek and becomes Vange Creek and then Holehaven Creek as it reaches Canvey Island. There are plenty of places to be neaped but few, if any, to be converted.
    2. I have a photo from the Times newspaper of 10 March 1962, captioned “The Lady Dixon, an old lightship, which is being towed from Pitsea to Sheerness for refitting. She is to be used to transmit radio programmes from outside the three mile limit.” The photo shows LD under tow in what appears to be very shallow water judging by the water weeds visible close by. I am not allowed to share the photo with you (unless I pay a £75 fee), but it is the clearest photograph I have of LD during this period. Was this her being extracted from the mud? If this was at or near Sheerness, why did the Times mention Pitsea?
    3. Chris also sent me two good photographs (courtesy the National Archives) of LD moored in a small dock, believed to be in Sheerness. I included one in my last post, but the other photo gives a better indication of the size and shape of the lock. I looked at maps and on Google Earth for a dock with a similar layout, without success. However, Google Earth has an historical overlay facility and there was an aerial view of Sheerness dated 1960. Comparing that with the modern day view, offered a strong candidate for the dock, which had obviously been filled in and built on since 1960 (Photo 1401 courtesy Google). X marks the spot.
    Taking the National Archive photo and the 1960 Google view, I identified salient features and there is no doubt that LD was moored in that dock in Sheerness (Photo 1402).

A – rounded jetty
    B – dockside with crane/bridge
    C – Lady Dixon’s mooring
    D – large building with chimney on roof
    E – mooring for large ship

I am trying to find a date for the National Archive photos, but my current theory is that LD was taken to the Pitsea/Vange/Holehaven creek to await docking facilities to be arranged at Sheerness for the conversion. It would be inexpensive or even free parking, but getting ‘neaped’ was not part of the plan.
    The investigation continues.
    David

• Advertisement

Chapter 141 - 26 March 2016
    While I struggle with the Byzantine machinations of Swanson/Thompson during the 1962 GBOK period, when they were trying to make Lady Dixon into a pirate radio station, Simon has been making great strides cleaning up below deck (Photo 1411). He has abandoned the air-driven nail gun and settled for a drill-driven wire brush. The result is a clean, but not rust-free surface, which is all that is required for the application of foam insulation. The drill is heavy and it is very arm-aching work (as was the nail gun).
    It also produces a lot of dust and Simon has rigged up a ‘curtain’ to keep the dust from drifting up the spiral staircase into the kitchen. The curtain is one of several side panels from a marquee which he acquired for free some time ago and has been keeping just in case they proved useful. They have! (Photo 1412) Very sensibly he is also wearing a face mask, but from time to time he has to take a break and let the dust settle so that he can see!!
    When he reached the stern post, where for a long time he has had a large sheet of plastic in place to catch the condensation drips (no longer required now that the deck is insulated), he was very disconcerted to find a very damp area where the two transoms at deck level came together. They were joined by a large ‘nose piece’ of what was once solid oak, but now was black, rotten, smelly wood. To investigate further he levered at this block to remove it, but stopped when water oozed out from beneath. This being below water level, he paused for thought and sought advice. He had a very uneasy night and had dreams about being trapped in a room rapidly filling with water!
    The next day, with a fellow boat owner, he waited until the tide was out and the ship safely settled on the mud, then levered out that block. Yes there was water trapped below it, but cleaning and drying out the cavity showed that there was no obvious ‘hole’ in the hull. It seems that, in the two years since Simon bought the ship and put the plastic sheet there, all the condensation had run off and gathered in that area from whence there was no escape. We do not think the block rotted that quickly, but being bathed in water must have added to existing damage and created that worrying impression that there was a leak beneath.
    Having eased his mind on that area, Simon then worried about more dampness nearby on the port quarter, which could not be blamed on the plastic sheet. Investigating the underneath of the upper deck, he found that where the old frame met the new steel plating, there was a cirular hole about 5 inches in diameter. It was plugged and had not been noticed when the steel plating was done. Taking out the crumbling plug revealed the underneath of the upper deck insulating sheets and the position was right up against the port gunwhale. (Photo 1414) A bucket is there to catch the water – evidence.
    As the gunwhale has crumbled with rot in places and ‘repaired’ with cement, we guess that rain water gets through voids in the wood/concrete mixture, into the area between the deck plating and the insulation/ roofing felt layer. Some of this (most we hope!) escapes down the mystery hole. Due to the run of the iron ribs, the water has not contributed to the pool where the transoms meet, but wets the sides and the deck where it runs down into the bilges.
    The leaky area of the gunwhale must be traced and sealed of course, but why is there a circular hole in the deck? I thought at first it was a deck light, but there were none in that area of the deck. There is a clue down below. Exactly below the deck hole is a concrete block set rather awkwardly into the ribs (Photo 1415) and it has a hole in it which is the same size as the deck hole. So something like a long, circular pole has been added to the structure at some stage, but there is no trace of any likely pole in the 1943 plans or any of the photographs of the ship over the years. Any ideas anyone?
    David

Don’t worry – this is not an April Fool trick!
    Simon has taken a couple of weeks off (from his day job and the boat), to help out a fellow lightship owner. LV16 is even older than Cormorant/Lady Dixon and is currently in dry dock in Chatham having her hull renovated (Photo 1421). That is a very smart (covered) dry dock, more like an aircraft hangar than a boat shed!
    The hull had been re-sheathed down to the waterline before she came in and, would you believe, because sheet copper is so expensive, the new sheathing is made from flattened domestic copper hot water tanks (Photo 1422).
    The old sheathing is being removed and is copper because the cheaper Munz metal that clads Cormorant was not invented at the time LV16 was built (1839). The pile of scraps is growing, but perhaps scraps is the wrong word as there is about £1,000 worth of copper there already (Photo 1424)
    Meanwhile my research into Cormorant’s pirate radio phase intensifies, with the help of stalwarts like Mervyn Hagger, Chris Edwards and Co. The period is 1961/62 and it was all over, bar the shouting, by March 1962. We are trying to find out who bought the ship from G.A. Lee Ltd of Belfast; when it arrived in the Thames and where; and where it went after the pirate radio idea (GBOK) was abandoned. Watch this space.
    David

You learn something new every day. I thought that ‘caulking’ a ship was just stuffing tarred rope into the cracks between boards. It’s a lot more complicated than that! To start with you have to remove what is left of the old stuff and that involves running an angle grinder along the gaps plus a bit of sanding. Then, to stop gaps closing up and boards perhaps shifting, pegs are driven into the gaps at intervals (Photo 1431). Hessian rope is twisted into a series of ‘figure of eight’ and then forced into the gaps.
    Red lead paint is applied because putty comes next and the paint stops the hessian rope sucking the oil out of the putty (Photo 1432). The whole lot is then covered with tar-soaked hessian sheet which protects the copper plating (the flattened domestic hot water tanks!).
    Then the large bolts which hold everything together have to be supplemented, or even replaced (some have crumbled to dust).
    Another large vessel has been brought into the dry dock and is of great interest to Simon because it is having its insides coated with the foam insulation which Simon wants to use on his ship. It certainly transforms the look of old structures and walls (Photo 1433). Simon has of course made contact.
    Meanwhile I am chasing details of Lady Dixon’s brief career as a pirate radio ship. In particular I am trying, through contacts in N Ireland and the USA, to find out who bought her from G.A. Lee and Co of Belfast in 1961 and how she ended up in the Thames Estuary belonging to John Thompson/Arnold Swanson. Then, when they abandoned the enterprise, who bought her and where she went. She was reported as being owned at some stage by Peter Horlock and moored at Mistley on the River Orwell in England. Actually, Mistley is on the River Stour, not the Orwell, which does not help my investigation! Does anyone know Mr Horlock?
    David

It turns out that LV16 needs rather more TLC than a bit of caulking. Isn’t it always the way – you start on a job and it turns into several, especially when you inevitably uncover something you were not expecting. That stern area looks quite serious to me, but then I am not a nautical man at all (Photo 1441).
    Back to my research role, I have elicited from Southend Council, who are the guardians of the archives of the Southend Standard (long defunct), three important press cuttings which pinpoint certain dates concerning Lady Dixon and her GBOK experience.

15 Feb - Mr Arnold Swanson (sponsor of the project) states that broadcasts will begin on 28th Feb from an old lightship, presently at Pitsea. The vessel is to be towed to Dagenham Dock to have a transmitter and other equipment loaded. The report also states that plans are being made to use the pier head or the berthing pier for staff going out to the vessel. (it is not clear whether these piers are in Pitsea or Dagenham, or indeed wherever). Mr Swanson stated that the response from the advertising world had been overwhelming.
    22 Feb - A photo of Lady Dixon alongside a pier (elsewhere reported to be a 'dealer's pier'). The caption says that the vessel is at Pitsea Marshes - wherever that is/was.
    1 Mar - The report states that LD is still stuck in the mud in spite of two tugs trying to free her 'last week' (the last week in Feb). Another attempt was to be made on the high tides early in March but broadcasts were unlikely to start before 11 Mar. Once free the report states that the vessel will be taken to Sheerness. The transmitter has yet to be fitted and the ship furnished. Swanson states that the station has enough advertising to run for a year and he wished he had eight stations. If you believe that ……….

All of which leads me to certain assumptions. The first news of Lady Dixon being in England is that report about her being in Pitsea. One of the items has a photograph of her moored at a pier of some sort which is also shown in a similar photograph I have which the caption describes as 'a dealer's jetty' (Photo 1442).
    I very much doubt that Thompson/Swanson would pay for LD to be towed way up the Vange Creek just to have somewhere to store her. My theory is that the dealer who bought LD from Belfast, had his business there and that is where Thompson and Co found and bought her - only to find it difficult to move her to Dagenham/Sheerness for fitting out.
    Exploring further, someone managed to get LV44 right up as far as what is now the Wat Tyler Centre (she was dumped and abandoned nearby in 1990) and there is a jetty there which I believe belongs now to the Essex Power Boat School (Photo 1443). Therefore getting LD there was certainly possible.

So now I am looking for a dealership there in the 1960s.
    David

As part of my research into the 1961/62 period of the lightship’s life – the period when she nearly became the first pirate radio ship in the UK, I have been trying to discover who brought her over from Belfast. The information I have is that at some stage she was owned by Peter Horlock and moored at Mistley on the River Orwell. Well that’s a bad start as Mistley is on the River Stour, not the Orwell. I wrote to the only Peter Horlock I could find in the area, but have had no response.
    In the early 1990s the ship was owned by Graham Reeve and moored at Milton Creek, near Sittingbourne. This is credible as we have photos of her moored there – one showing her painted bright red (Photo 1451) and one from a Google aerial photo taken in 1991 (Photo 1452). Now I found seven Graham Reeves in the area and I wrote to all of them! I have had only one reply and although the chap is very interested, he is not THE Graham Reeves.
    Next came Terry J Middleton who took the ship to its current mooring at Hoo. He lived on the ship for a while and later on another vessel, Scorpio at the same Marina. His last known address is in Sevenoaks, but when I sent a letter there, it was returned ‘gone away’.
    So my fellow sleuths in the South East of England, can you find any of these gentlemen living in your area? Peter Horlock would really be a prize as he might have bought the ship from the GBOK people and that might lead to who bought the ship from G.A. Lee Ltd of Belfast.
    Meanwhile Simon popped over to Chatham to see how LV16 is getting on. Readers will remember the big hole in the stern which had been made by gouging out rotten timbers. Repairs are in hand, but instead of felling an ancient oak and employing woodcarvers at 3p a day, a rather more modern technique is being used (Photo 1453).
    The planks are caulked and the bolt holes sealed (Photo 1454) and then, before the copper plating is applied, Hessian and tar seal the whole thing in (Photo 1455).
    I think Simon is hoping that all this will not be necessary when it’s his turn to put his ship into dry-dock!!
    David

Well, progress on the historical front at last. Regular readers will remember that I have been trying to fill in some gaps in Lady Dixon’s history between the time she was retired by the Belfast Harbour Commissioners in 1960, to the time she ended up in the marina at Hoo in 1991. G.A. Lee Ltd of Belfast bought her from the Commissioners and the next thing we know is that a Peter Horlock owned her, moored at Mistley. The Peter Horlock I found and wrote to has kindly phoned me to say he is not the chap I am looking for.
    Then a reader suggested I contact the owners of a mill at Mistley, which he referred to as the Horlocks Mill (did he mean Horlicks?). I got nowhere with this but it did prompt me to e-mail the Mistley Parish Council and they gave me a crucial link. They suggested contacting Bob Horlock of Mistley and they even gave me his e-mail address. Bob replied to my query and BINGO !! I am not yet sure if they are related, but he confirmed that Peter Horlock did own the Lady Dixon and indeed lived aboard her at Mistley. This probably explains why he did not break her, although he was in the ship-breaking business. Unfortunately Peter is in Australia and not at all well at the moment, so I must be patient. I would really like to ask him from whom he bought the ship – was it from G.A. Lee of Belfast; was it the mystery dealer at Pitsea; was it the mortgage company who repossessed her when the GBOK enterprise folded? When did he sell her to Graham Reeves?
    I have still received only one reply to my letters to the seven Graham Reeves in the area. So I must assume that none of them are the right person. My letter to the next owner, Terry Middleton, has been returned (“Gone away”). So dead-ends there for the moment.
    Simon has been very busy wallpapering recently, so there is not much progress on his preservation. He has had time to try and cure the ingress of water on the port rear quarter (see Chapter 141). The bulwark there has seen better times and needs replacing, but for the moment Simon is trying to block the rain from penetrating the fissures in the wood by pouring melted tar into every crack and cranny.
    Meanwhile, the views across the Medway Estuary continue to delight (Photo 1461).
    David

Advertisement