Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Pighead wrote: »
    Yawnfest. Luckily the fight will be anything but. Can't wait. Hard to pick a winner. Currently edging towards Masvidal.

I'm a Nate fan. His habit of pulling of a win regardless of how the fight is pretty much how I go. I want to see a Nate triangle guard guard in the 3rd round.

That said, I still think he's a at home in lightweight and will always struggle to hold his own against top tier WWs. Even alonging for the fact he hasn't been 155 in years, he a super-lightweight at best. Masvidal is a big dangerous Welter.

Heart says Nate. Head says Jorge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm a Nate fan. His habit of pulling of a win regardless of how the fight is pretty much how I go. I want to see a Nate triangle guard guard in the 3rd round.

That said, I still think he's a at home in lightweight and will always struggle to hold his own against top tier WWs. Even alonging for the fact he hasn't been 155 in years, he a super-lightweight at best. Masvidal is a big dangerous Welter.

Heart says Nate. Head says Jorge.
    Yeah I'd be of the same opinion, the Nate we seen in his last fight looked very slick though, did more than plod forward and throw hands.

He's tough enough to take a few from Masvidal, gonna be a good scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Just goes to show what a bit of publicity and a decent win or two can do. Two relative journeymen headlining a PPV.

Tough bastards though should be a great fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

The Nal wrote: »
    Just goes to show what a bit of publicity and a decent win or two can do. Two relative journeymen headlining a PPV.

Tough bastards though should be a great fight.

Are they elite? ;p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I like Nate ,but i hate the way everyone buys in to his crap. He wants to fight the OGs, the REAL fighters in the division. Coincidentally they're not wrestlers....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Zero-Cool wrote: »

You know what , I'm totally ok with this. The whole thing. The BMF belt everything....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Should be a cracking fight. Head still says Masvidal but I actually thought Nate looked huge compared to him at the presser the other day.

ricero wrote: »
    Should be a cracking fight. Head still says Masvidal but I actually thought Nate looked huge compared to him at the presser the other day.

Nate is taller and longer. Jorge is chunkier.
    Plus he got that that immigrant mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Has the UFC quietly shelved the Women's Featherweight category?
    • There are currently zero fights lined up for it in any of the upcoming cards.
    • They have never had any rankings for it
    • The champion from the TUF series for it now fights as a Bantamweight
    • The whole reason for its existence disappeared when Cyborg left
    • The current champion is the champion at a different category so isn't stuck for title fights

It seems like the only losers would be the women who have fought at that category who cannot make bantamweight: Megan Anderson (who is objectively awful anyway) and Felicia Spencer.

I think it makes a lot of sense just to scrap it and to keep men's flyweight (which they appear to be doing given that there were 2 fights alone in that category on last night's fight card)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• The current champion is the champion at a different category so isn't stuck for title fights

It seems like the only losers would be the women who have fought at that category who cannot make bantamweight: Megan Anderson (who is objectively awful anyway) and Felicia Spencer.

I think it makes a lot of sense just to scrap it and to keep men's flyweight (which they appear to be doing given that there were 2 fights alone in that category on last night's fight card)

On second glance this turns out not to be true. They have booked two fights for it:

Megan Anderson vs Zarah Fairn Dos Santos at UFC 243 on Oct 6th
    Duda Santana vs Leah Letson on a Nov 16th card

If they're going to commit to it they should really be having more fights rankingmma currently have only 7 ranked fighters - and of those the only ones who have fought more than once in the UFC who are not also bantamweights are Spencer and Anderson.

They've never had enough fighters for a ranking list.
    It's pretty common for fighters to fight up a weight on TUF and drop down after the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Megan Anderson is brutal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Wtf is a BMF belt?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Wtf is a BMF belt?

baddest mother****er belt :D

DC wants stipe on December 14th for the trilogy and his final Ufc fight. Win or lose he's done he said. Announced it tonight on Ariel Helwanis mma show.

DC wants stipe on December 14th for the trilogy and his final Ufc fight. Win or lose he's done he said. Announced it tonight on Ariel Helwanis mma show.

Oh man that'll be some card if they get that done

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

eagle eye wrote:
    There's a young Australian lad whose parents are Irish who is building a very good reputation for himself in Australia. His name is Jamie Mullarkey. His first loss was to Alexander Volkanovski in a fight that many felt was likely to get the winner into the UFC and that happened. He was only 21 when he took that fight and lost his next fight, took time off to work on his strength and conditioning and got his act together after that. He is in much better shape now than he looked back then and has won his four fights since then. I think you'll see him get a shot at the UFC very shortly. I think he is a real good prospect now.
    Jamie will make him a UFC debut in the early prelims of UFC 243.
    Hope he gets off to a great start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Would rather see Stipe Vs Jones

JJayoo wrote: »
    Would rather see Stipe Vs Jones

Would rather DC Jones too tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Stipe says he won't be fighting again this year. He has a retina injury from Cormier's eye pokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Usman v Covington looks to be happening at UFC 245 now.
    The current lineup for that card.

Max Holloway v Alexander Volkanovski - Featherweight Title Fight
    Amanda Nunes v Germaine de Randamie - Women's Bantamweight Title Fight
    Kamaru Usman v Colby Covington - Welterweight Title Fight
    Robbie Lawler v Santiago Ponzinibbio
    Jessica Eye v Viviane Araújo
    Matt Brown v Ben Saunders

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Guy Person wrote: »

Oh lord.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Might stay up for that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Jasus I thought matt brown retired ages ago

Guy Person wrote: »

**** me the Ufc are absolutely killing it this year with some amazing fights and cards

**** that's an unbelievable card.

The Christmas/New Years card is always amazing. Usually later in the year though, I wonder if there will be another big one for 246

• Advertisement

Good call by the UFC. Only about 5 years too late

https://twitter.com/KevinI/status/1177368162704060417

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement