Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Throwback Thursday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Csalem

It is 1985 and D 755 is seen on Eden Quay. The bus is on route 6 to Blackrock via Ballsbridge. The bus was nearly 10 years old at this point, having been delivered new in 1975. It lasted in service until 1994, ending its days with Dublin Bus.
    Although the destination shows Blackrock, the route actually terminated near Abbey Park in Monkstown at a place referred to in the timetable as "New Link Road" although the actual road was unnamed at this time. The 6 in some ways served as a short working of the 7 and the 8 which went further south to Dun Laoghaire and Dalkey. There was also a 6A for a time which served Blackrock and Sandyford Industrial Estate. The last 6 ran in 1989.
    The bus is in an all-over ad for Bailieboro Co-Op.
    18/05/1985

41275827745_5cb303f917_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (123) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The 6/6A were also duplicated with the 114 being introduced from 1987 onwards as a DART Feeder route until the last 6 ran in 1989. Thinking about it for a minute; you had a maximum of 4 bus routes going up the exact same route all along Carysfort Avenue up to Newtown Park & Sandyford Industrial Estate. The 17 would also be included as it went along a short stretch of Carysfort Avenue all the way up to Convent Road or the old Carysfort College from when the 17 began in the early 1970's and continued on using that stretch for over 20 years.

Then you had all the other bus routes like the 7, 7A, 8, 45 & 113 all piling in top of them near Frascati Road or the main street of Blackrock. It was a crazy period for using buses in an area like Blackrock at that time before I was born in 1990.

I will give you a snapshot of the bus route numbers between then & now to see the difference in how they evolved over time.

Past route numbers from CIE Dublin City Services - 5, 6, 6A, 7, 7A, 8, 17, 45.

Past route number up with Dublin Bus until Network Direct - 5, 7, 7A, 7X, 8, 17, 45, 46E, 113, 114 & 115.

Present route numbers before BusConnects project- 4, 7, 7A, 7N, 17, 46E, 84, 84A, 84N, 114.

Now after BusConnects in 2019 you could get this scenario.

Go-Ahead Dublin (Blackrock) - 17, 114.

Dublin Bus - ????? -

The remaining routes that stay with Dublin Bus for now could face a lot of changes from the public in how they run their services with BusConnects. All of these changes alike what is happening with the other routes in the GDA will be told from results from the public consultation & redesign of the network. In an area like Blackrock for example; the public have to face changing 3 Cross City routes, 2 Nitelink routes, 1 peak route, 2 social/work/school/college routes to Bray & Newcastle. 2 of the routes with Go-Ahead Dublin could be changed too under this consultation unless their routes & timetables are fully changed from the NTA.

Whatever way that this public consultation is going to how to pan out with all of the results revealed from the NTA or Jarett Walker etc. The results of this initiative could leave a marked change from the public in how these bus services fully operate across Dublin by linking with other transport networks in the capital. BusConnects could be described as an exciting project for certain people of this persuasion or an complex project for others to consider in their daily lives. What is well highlighted here on boards is that people would want a marked change in how these services are run for a new generation living in a city like Dublin.

But could that experience extend to other areas of society living in the capital? Who knows until the final results are published on the day itself?

Whenever the consultation with the public starts by possibly next month & finishes at the end of the year; the amount of information that is going to be processed about changing the bus network itself until all of it's feedback has been fully collected will be incredible for the organisations to assess & collate it. This type of information is the critical part of this consultation otherwise known as the hard data in how the bus service in Dublin is meant to be changed to run under it's new network. Vast swathes of the public will be going to various public meetings all over Dublin to talk about this particular project by giving critical information to the NTA in how they want their public bus service to be changed. Nobody in the city in this day & age should ever take this project as a joke. This consultation going to have a possible running time of six months which is a hugely complex & time consuming process for everyone to go through for any walk of life. For any person with a sensible brain in their head; this is very serious work to get through with a possibly a huge positive outcome at the end of it.

There will be a huge amount of relief when the NTA considers this as a great success once it's implemented. If that happens among everyone else; I will be a happy man to go through it. Then there is another possible scenario as a "what happens next?" if the project completely fails to change anything about the bus network in Dublin. I cannot predict what is going to happen next about the project if it becomes a success or failure. All I want to see for now if this project will get through it's initial hurdles of the getting the actual hard data actually collected from the public & presented in a huge series of reports for us to read through. BusConnects could be brilliant or a failure when the pre-implementation is over. I cannot wait until it's over. It's going to be incredible when it's all done & dusted.

It is 1996 and RA 176 is showing off its European patriotism. During the second-half of the year Ireland hosted the Presidency of the European Union. This was the fifth time the country had done this since it joined the EU in 1973. With the increase in size of the EU (despite Brexit) Ireland has only hosted the presidency twice since then, and the next time will be in 2026. The bus received this special all-over livery to mark the occasion.
    RA 176 was the first member of the RA class, following on from the broadly similar RH class. While the RHs were Leyland Olympians, the RAs started the Volvo Olympian era, although were Cummins powered. The RAs ranged from 176 to 325, with the first RV starting at 326. In total 640 Olympians were delivered to Dublin Bus. The last Olympian was withdrawn in 2012, the last RA in 2008 and RA 176 in 2007. Some continued on in the Driver School and City Tours but as of 2018 all are withdrawn by Dublin Bus.
    The 45 has appeared recently on Throwback Thursday. It connected the City Centre with Bray, terminating on the southern part of that town in Oldcourt. Like the bus, the route is no longer active in Dublin Bus, but the 45A keeps the legacy going. Nassau Street, 24/05/1996

28455957298_0acac1d42d_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (124) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

It is 1992 and RH 64 is seen parked between duties on Marlborough Street. The bus had been delivered new to Dublin Bus in 1991 and entered service at Clontarf Garage. It is in an all-over ad for Harp Lager. It is worth noting that at this point in time these ads were hand-painted onto the buses. This is unlike the situation in 2018 where ads are applied on vinyl wraps. In some ways these buses were mobile works of art. As a result the ads lasted longer on the buses than they do now. This one had a lifespan of about a year and was also applied to buses from other garages.
    The 32B was part of the 32 group of routes that served Baldoyle/Portmarnock/Malahide. The 32B ran to Abbey Park in Sutton. This routing was later absorbed into the 32 services to Portmarnock. Network Direct removed Abbey Park (and the 32B) from the Dublin Bus network in November 2012, with just the 32 surviving and terminating at Malahide. Residents in Abbey Park had to walk to the main road to get a new extended 29A.
    This layover on Marlborough Street became the Marlborough tram stop on the Luas Green Line in December 2017.
    30/05/1992

41757979824_d30c0aeffb_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (125) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Csalem wrote: »
    It is 1992 and RH 64 is seen parked between duties on Marlborough Street. The bus had been delivered new to Dublin Bus in 1991 and entered service at Clontarf Garage. It is in an all-over ad for Harp Lager. It is worth noting that at this point in time these ads were hand-painted onto the buses. This is unlike the situation in 2018 where ads are applied on vinyl wraps. In some ways these buses were mobile works of art. As a result the ads lasted longer on the buses than they do now. This one had a lifespan of about a year and was also applied to buses from other garages.
    The 32B was part of the 32 group of routes that served Baldoyle/Portmarnock/Malahide. The 32B ran to Abbey Park in Sutton. This routing was later absorbed into the 32 services to Portmarnock. Network Direct removed Abbey Park (and the 32B) from the Dublin Bus network in November 2012, with just the 32 surviving and terminating at Malahide. Residents in Abbey Park had to walk to the main road to get a new extended 29A.
    This layover on Marlborough Street became the Marlborough tram stop on the Luas Green Line in December 2017.
    30/05/1992

41757979824_d30c0aeffb_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (125) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

I thought some were "wrapped", I remember seeing an RH in the early 90s being peeled in Donnybrook. Also pretty sure I have a photo from the early 90s of one with a torn off corner from a rear advertising. I think they faded terribly especially after a wash - either that or my memories are faded.

Perhaps an adverts thread is appropriate.

Question, which adverts have made it accross different classes? For example the Coca Cola all over advertisement was on RHs and KDs (possibly at different times).

Great photos BTW.

^ I think this was about the time the wraps started to appear but I believe the Harp ads were hand-painted on all of the RHs.

Coca Cola ads have appeared on D, KD, RH, AV and AX:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/60501971@N08/albums/72157645184751658

If you include outside of Dublin then a KR can also be added to the mix.

It is 1988 and a certain bus route only has five months to go. D 476 is seen on Burgh Quay. It is displaying route 54 to Cherryfield Drive, via Connolly Station. This route was a cross-city route that connected Donnycarney/Killester on the northside with Harold's Cross and Walkinstown on the southside. The route was operated out of Summerhill Garage, and ran in conjunction with the 54A. The latter route was cut back from the northside in 1988 and in November 1988 the 54 was cut back from the northside. While the 54A continues on today, the remaining 54 did not make it out of the 1990s. The 54A is also now operated by Donnybrook Garage.
    D 476 had a similar fate as it was delivered new to Summerhill in 1972 and withdrawn in 1990. The bus is gone, the route is gone but McDonald's is still with us. 08/06/1988

40845790340_2aab5808f8_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (126) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It is 1988 and a certain bus route only has five months to go. D 476 is seen on Burgh Quay. It is displaying route 54 to Cherryfield Drive, via Connolly Station. This route was a cross-city route that connected Donnycarney/Killester on the northside with Harold's Cross and Walkinstown on the southside. The route was operated out of Summerhill Garage, and ran in conjunction with the 54A. The latter route was cut back from the northside in 1988 and in November 1988 the 54 was cut back from the northside. While the 54A continues on today, the remaining 54 did not make it out of the 1990s. The 54A is also now operated by Donnybrook Garage.
    D 476 had a similar fate as it was delivered new to Summerhill in 1972 and withdrawn in 1990. The bus is gone, the route is gone but McDonald's is still with us. 08/06/1988

40845790340_2aab5808f8_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (126) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

...and the amusement place is still there...

A short hop back this week to 2014, but an important one. DM 1 is seen on South Great George's Street with a 9 to Charlestown. The bus is a Wrights Gemini 3 with a B5TL engine and was on loan to Dublin Bus as a demonstrator. It had entered service just two days previously and stayed for six months. The bus was used to evaluate its fuel saving abilities, through its lighter weight. At the same time Dublin Bus received a second demonstrator, DM 2, which was an electric hybrid. I think it is safe to say DM 1 was a successful trial as Dublin Bus have received Gemini 3's every year since 2014, and by the end of 2018 will have a fleet of over 400 SGs (their fleet designation). The Dublin Bus version do not have the side glass panels on the staircase like DM 1.
    After its time with Dublin Bus, DM 1 returned to the UK and is currently in service with East Yorkshire, registration BX14 SYT. 14/06/2014
    41901265855_178f70c624_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (127) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭thomasj

Csalem wrote:
    Not my photo,but here is a shot of a bus at the 78 terminus on Fleet Street in 1984:

Amazing to look at that as it's hard to believe buses terminated there when you see it today. Thank you.

Yeah I remember it.

When I used to go to tallaght on the bus in the early 90s (I think) the dolphins barn buses went from Aston quay with the 78s, (not sure about 79) 51s and the 68s and 69s running from the back of Aston quay. Literally where Tesco express is now.

When the 78a switched to cityswift that moved out to Aston quay and it was not long later that we saw the major reschuffle, with the 50s 77s etc moving to Eden quay , the temple bar buses moving out to Aston quay and the introduction of the new 150 imp minibus running from there in temple bar.

Mad also to think that the other side of temple bar was the 46A terminus.

thomasj wrote: »
    Yeah I remember it.

When I used to go to tallaght on the bus in the early 90s (I think) the dolphins barn buses went from Aston quay with the 78s, (not sure about 79) 51s and the 68s and 69s running from the back of Aston quay. Literally where Tesco express is now.

It was the ESB Offices and Shop on Fleet St until 2006 don't forget.

I worked in the shop from 2003-2005. Handiest number I ever had.
    When the 78a switched to cityswift that moved out to Aston quay and it was not long later that we saw the major reschuffle, with the 50s 77s etc moving to Eden quay , the temple bar buses moving out to Aston quay and the introduction of the new 150 imp minibus running from there in temple bar.

Mad also to think that the other side of temple bar was the 46A terminus.

Where was this?

It was the ESB Offices and Shop on Fleet St until 2006 don't forget.

I worked in the shop from 2003-2005. Handiest number I ever had.

Where was this?

46A terminus for a while was on Fleet St between Westmoreland St and D'Olier St.

46A terminus for a while was on Fleet St between Westmoreland St and D'Olier St.

That I had known.

But when I read this earlier and made my post I had visions of it up at Parliament Street or something. Couldn't picture it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

46A went near enough from where stop 5192 currently is, if I remember correctly.

My bad.

Meant to say fleet Street, not temple bar.

• Advertisement

Bit of an unusual Throwback this week. It is 2003 and RV 631 is seen on Abbey Street. Although it is in service, it is not operating a Dublin Bus service. Instead it is helping out with Bus Eireann. In the early 2000s Dublin Bus transferred a number of Olympians to Bus Eireann to help out and provide extra capacity. That is how RV 631 ended up on a 105 to Ratoath. The bus did return to Dublin Bus and stayed in service until 2012 when the final Olympians were withdrawn.
    On the left can be construction works for the Luas Red Line. That exact location became the Abbey stop on the tram line. As a result of this the bus stop is no longer in existence and the 103 to Ratoath currently departs from Beresford Place. 22/06/2003

42041092025_69687a57ce_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (128) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

It is 35 years ago and the northern extreme of the Dublin City bus services. D 472 is seen departing Balbriggan heading south for Dublin (despite what the destination says) with a working on the 33. The 33 can trace its routes back to the bus services operated by the Great Northern Railway (Ireland). When the company was absorbed by CIE (and the UTA) in 1958, some of its bus routes fromDublin joined the city services. The 33 was one of them, and holds the distinction of being the furthest north those services go. Balbriggan is located near the county border with Meath.
    D 472 was delivered new to Summerhill in 1973 and was withdrawn by Dublin Bus in 1990. The 33 is still operated by Dublin Bus by the end of 2018 the 33A should be operated by Go-Ahead Ireland.
    Finally, Balbriggan is also my hometown, and the 1983 was the year I was born. 26/06/1983

42171813755_74f774122b_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (129) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

It's 2001 and RA 270 doesn't know if it's coming or going. It is seen parked on Abbey Street between duties but it is parked on the contra-flow bus lane. This was to allow buses to access Marlborough Street or O'Connell Street but RA 270 is facing in the opposite direction. This part of Abbey Street is no longer a bus lane but instead part of the tram route for the Luas Red Line.
    The bus is well branded. The predominant one is for the "Malahide Road 27 Flyer". This was part of an initiative to relaunch City Swift corridors by branding certain routes. They also became "Super City Swift" as seen here. Around this time Dublin Bus also launched a "Quality Customer Service" campaign as seen with the rosetta on the front and the wording on the rear side window. A lot happening on the one bus. Not only is the bus lane gone, but so is the bus, CitySwift, the "Malahide Road 27 Flyer", and in a few years based on plans launched this week under Bus Connects, the 27 could also be gone. Abbey Street, 04/01/2001

42317666235_7df792bf7d_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (130) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

This week's Throwback Thursday is quite simple to describe - it is a KD, it's on St, Stephen's Green and it is in an all-over ad for "McKenna's Electric".
    KD 236 was delivered to Donnybrook Garage around 1982, as part of a batch of 14 buses that started with KD 223. According to Wikipedia KD 236 entered preservation at the end of its career with Dublin Bus.
    As far as I can tell McKenna's Electric was founded in 1990 and was out of business by 2000. St. Stephen's Green, 11/07/1991

42650332734_ab0896bf48_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (131) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

As far as I can tell McKenna's Electric was founded in 1990 and was out of business by 2000. St. Stephen's Green, 11/07/1991

McKenna's Electrical was around well before 1990.

Power City was a competing firm run by another branch of the McKenna family. They settled their family split and united under the Power City label.

• Advertisement

I love how the suspension on KDs left thm perenially tilted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,537 ✭✭✭✭L1011

McKennas are still going seperately, as a trade supplier. Don't know if the family feud was solved or not but either they fixed it or the McKenna consumer stores faded away due to Powercity. Powercity was founded due to there being a disagreement

Thanks for the info about McKenna's. They are not a brand I remember or a story I have heard before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭john boye

I vaguely remember them having a store around Deansgrange but I don't remember any others.

Sorry for being off-topic but are there many preserved kds still around?

Wikipedia lists a handful as being preserved but I do not know how accurate it is:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAC_Ireland#Preserved_KDs

A short trip back this week to 2014, where AX 647 is offering to #ShareACoke. Buses in Dublin used to have a quite a tradition of being wrapped for ad campaigns for Coca Cola but that died off in the late 1990s. 2014 was when the tradition was revived with this campaign. Coca Cola were branding bottles and cans of their product with people's names instead of their more familiar brand name. AX 647 in Donnybrook and AX 601 in Phibsboro received the all-over ads. In 2015 three buses received a more traditional red Coca Cola wrap,but sadly there has been nothing more since then. In 2018 AX 647 received a wrap for Dublin Pride.
    Route 61 to Whitechurch commenced in 2011, replacing the 48A and parts of the 15B. Construction of the Rosie Hackett Bridge commenced in 2011 and was completed in 2014. It was built to facilitate the Luas Cross City tramline and trams started crossing over it in 2017.
    AX 647, Rosie Hackett Bridge, 19/07/14

28615128247_0f7c5beb1c_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (132) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

A short trip back this week to 2014, AX 647 in Donnybrook and AX 601 in Phibsboro received the all-over ads. r

I don't like the fact that the ad doesn't come round the front. All white until you see the blue and yellow in front. the pretty little things wraps floating around are the same, or worse, when you see the yellow top on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

liger wrote: »
    I don't like the fact that the ad doesn't come round the front. All white until you see the blue and yellow in front. the pretty little things wraps floating around are the same, or worse, when you see the yellow top on them.

I was thinking about this the other day. What is the point in this? Other operators seem to wrap the front, Air coach do it the Just Eat add wraps around the front I think it's Just Eat.

Could be done in a more visual way where you'd still know it's Dublin Bus as the operator.

Failing that if there was a serious serious issue, you'd have a reg plate anyway to report on, also a route number and time if displayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Tickityboo

TallGlass wrote: »
    I was thinking about this the other day. What is the point in this? Other operators seem to wrap the front, Air coach do it the Just Eat add wraps around the front I think it's Just Eat.

Could be done in a more visual way where you'd still know it's Dublin Bus as the operator.

Failing that if there was a serious serious issue, you'd have a reg plate anyway to report on, also a route number and time if displayed.

Might have something to do with the visually impaired?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

TallGlass wrote: »

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107583677&postcount=838
    aircoach AoA with the front as normal now also

July 1989 is much more grey than July 2018, but the former is probably a more typical Irish summer than the latter. D 822 does brighten things up a bit. It is seen passing the Bank of Ireland and Trinity College in College Green as it operates a 13 to Palmerston Park from Ballymun. The route commenced to Ballymun in the late 1970s and lasted until 2011. Under Network Direct the route was merged with the 51s and became a cross-city route from Ballymun to Grange Castle via Drumcondra, Inchicore and Clondalkin. The route now travels down Dame Street from College Green rather than Grafton Street as in this photo.
    The bus is in an all-over ad for the The Irish Cancer Society. The bus is promoting their support services.
    D 822 entered service in 1976 and was withdrawn in 1994 when it was sold for scrap. 27/07/1989

29786693118_0bf689707e_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (133) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

^^^Just shows you how broke CIE / Dublin Bus were at the time. The bus was in service for 18 years and practically ran into the ground before being scrapped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Faith+1 wrote: »
    ^^^Just shows you how broke CIE / Dublin Bus were at the time. The bus was in service for 18 years and practically ran into the ground before being scrapped.

If Dublin Bus weren't under pressure to have a 100% accessible fleet then there would likely still be some Olympians on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Accessibility aside, they would be better than the awful SG's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

If Dublin Bus weren't under pressure to have a 100% accessible fleet then there would likely still be some Olympians on the road.

Been to a few cities in Italy which still have Iveco Turbocity's on the road which haven't been produced since 1996

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,537 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There were actually some prototype accessible DB Olympians - wheelchair lift installed in the middle doors. Those would be an extremely poor substitute for low floor if they had actually gone with that as an option.

While sticking with Alexander and the matching Volvo chassis does seem to have left them a bit later in getting low floor vehicles, was there a realistic alternative in terms of a trusted manufacturer with a RHD low floor chassis a few years earlier?

L1011 wrote: »
    There were actually some prototype accessible DB Olympians - wheelchair lift installed in the middle doors. Those would be an extremely poor substitute for low floor if they had actually gone with that as an option.

While sticking with Alexander and the matching Volvo chassis does seem to have left them a bit later in getting low floor vehicles, was there a realistic alternative in terms of a trusted manufacturer with a RHD low floor chassis a few years earlier?

The first low floor bus DB got was the single decker VL class. I remember they used to have them on the 3 including a natural gas bus. They were then put on the 111 and the short lived 59a always an interesting looking bus with their green grabrails don't think they were reliable either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Faith+1 wrote: »

Oddly enough,the age of the Bus does'nt actually work as an indication of the Operators health.

As an example from London,on December 9th 2005,the last Routemaster then in service,RM 54,had entered service in Sept 1959 :eek:

The social changes which brought with them,elements such as Low-Floor accessibility,meant that many vehicles have had to be retired for legal rather than operational reasons.

Also,older generation vehicles were designed from the outset to be Overhauled at set intervals during their service lives,so DF 822 could well have been a "Triggers Brush" of a vehicle in 1989.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

Stephen15 wrote: »
    The first low floor bus DB got was the single decker VL class. I remember they used to have them on the 3 including a natural gas bus. They were then put on the 111 and the short lived 59a always an interesting looking bus with their green grabrails don't think they were reliable either.

The W Class from 1994 predate the VLs as lowfloor wheelchair accessible buses:
    13903770260_f376e036d0_c.jpgScan W 3 by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

The W Class from 1994 predate the VLs as lowfloor wheelchair accessible buses:
    13903770260_f376e036d0_c.jpgScan W 3 by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Forgot about them but were they not just on trial with DB rather in full service?

Forgot about them but were they not just on trial with DB rather in full service?

They were definitely in full service. They started on the 222 before moving to the 300. They were withdrawn in 2000. On the other hand, the Natural Gas VL was a trial bus which as far as I can remember had a much shorter life with the company.

They were definitely in full service. They started on the 222 before moving to the 300. They were withdrawn in 2000. On the other hand, the Natural Gas VL was a trial bus which as far as I can remember had a much shorter life with the company.

They didn't last long at all any reason for their premature withdrawal. The VLs didnt last very long either I think they were only withdrawn in 2006 or 2007 so probably only they lasted 10 years in service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭john boye

They didn't last long at all any reason for their premature withdrawal. The VLs didnt last very long either I think they were only withdrawn in 2006 or 2007 so probably only they lasted 10 years in service.

Most of the VLs actually ploughed on until 2009. Amazing really considering they spent their last 4 or 5 years in a sort of permanent pergatory, seemingly about to be withdrawn any day.

john boye wrote: »
    Most of the VLs actually ploughed on until 2009. Amazing really considering they spent their last 4 or 5 years in a sort of permanent pergatory, seemingly about to be withdrawn any day.

I didn't they lasted that long

• Advertisement

What a difference three years makes. SG 96 is seen on Hawkins Street with a 15 from Clongriffin to Ballycullen Road. Ths bus route still uses this road but shares the road space here with the Luas Green Line. The tram extension opened in December 2017 connecting Broombridge on the northside to Brides Glen on the southside.
    The Screen Cinema is seen beside the bus with an ad for Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation. The cinema opened in 1972 but closed in 2016 under plans to redevelop this area. Currently it is in a partially demolished state though could be fully gone by the end of 2018. This week in 2018 the sixth Mission Impossible film (Fallout) was released. In the background is Hawkins House. This was built in 1962 and housed the Department of Health. Like the cinema, this building is due to be demolished and replaced. These plans progressed by the end of July 2018 with the Department relocating to Baggot Street.
    Finally SG 96 was delivered new to Dublin Bus in the latter half of 2015. In 2018 this bus is due to transfer to Go-Ahead Ireland in 2018 for when they take over 10% of bus routes in the Greater Dublin Area. A lot of change in three years. 01/08/2015

28860806597_8004544ed6_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (134) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

It is 1995 and KD 8 is reaching for the heights at Connolly Station. The bus is seen on the road approach to the station entrance. This was high above Amiens Street and the road approach was known colloquially as "The Ramp". For many years both sides were lined with buses laying over between duties. Both Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann. In 2003 it was removed and the ground leveled to make way for the tram stop on the Luas Red Line.
    KD 8 is one of those buses using The Ramp as a parking area. It is displaying route 42 which connects the City Centre with Malahide and Portmarnock.
    KD 8 entered service between 1981 and 1982 and was based in Clontarf Garage. 08/08/1995

43233674774_41f4ae5060_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (135) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

^^ that type of bus reminds me of my childhood.
    I can almost smell the fumes sitting at the back!

Glad I stumbled on this thread. Great work!

whiskeyman wrote: »
    ^^ that type of bus reminds me of my childhood.
    I can almost smell the fumes sitting at the back!

Glad I stumbled on this thread. Great work!

Even if you're not a bus nerd or transport nerd, this thread is gold for old photos of Dublin and elsewhere. By far my favourite thread on boards.

It is 1983 and KD 313 is at the northern extreme of the Dublin City Services network.At the time the bus was brand new, having been delivered to Summerhill Garage during 1983.
    It is seen at the terminus of tne 33 in Balbriggan. This town in north County Dublin was the furthest north the buses of Dubiln City Services went. It is also still the furthest north Dublin Bus go, and by the end of the year the furthest north Go-Ahead will serve. The bus stop here is shared with the bus route between Drogheda and Dublin,providing a connection between the two services.
    In 1983 the 33 terminus was outside the Bank of Ireland as seen here. Within a few years the bus terminated on the other side of the road. By the late-1990s/early-2000s the terminus had relocated further south along this road, outside Balbriggan Church where it still terminates today.
    The Bank of Ireland is still in this location but has been completely rebuilt in the intervening years. 14/08/1983

44015744342_ffe6e40eb4_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (136) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Advertisement
Advertisement