Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jimmy Saville exposed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

It's an extensive piece on him ..... Lets be honest here, his legacy is gone - I'm sure he done good, but it looks like he used it to get what he wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Very disturbing documentary.

Also very similar to the abuse that happened in the Catholic church, people knew but did nothing.

The BBC are in serious trouble over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

dunno what to make of esther rantzen after that

seems shes's just a broadcaster-whichever way the wind blows and childline was just a gig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

I think they should do what they done to Pope Formosus and dig up his corpse and put it on trial. Also i noticed his coffin was incased in concrete, i reckon this was to prevent the dirty old basta*d coming back as some sort of peadozombie.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-15717221

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I fell asleep did anyone watch the program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

M cebee wrote: »

seems shes's just a broadcaster-whichever way the wind blows and childline was just a gig

I've lost all respect for her after that, I know it was different times and all that but I can't believe people knew that this was going on and just ignored it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

eviltwin wrote: »
    I've lost all respect for her after that, I know it was different times and all that but I can't believe people knew that this was going on and just ignored it.
    I wonder did she ever find the time to read a code of ethics towards dealing with young people or was she just to busy getting her name in the limelight.

Show Time wrote: »
    eviltwin wrote: »
    I wonder did she ever find the time to read a code of ethics towards dealing with young people or was she just to busy getting her name in the limelight.
    those tears-ouch!
    why did she go on the prgramme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,123 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm glad that our licence fee *has only ever been used to pay for sh1t programmes and lousy presenters.

The people in the UK whose licence money was paying for these creeps must be mortified.

*at least I hope so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭WhimSock

As much as I have been making puns and the like over it, it was a difficult watch. Of course he is dead and can't defend himself etc, but I can't imagine Esther Rantzen would put her reputation on the line if there weren't any truth in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

I had been waiting to watch this since I heard about about it & this thread has been very interesting reading. I can understand the victims being scared to come forward but its worrying that so many of them on the show hid their identity.

Also, I think the witness's that were interviewed should be prosecuted for their inaction. The first lady who says she witnessed Savile assaulting a girl in his dressing room but never reported to anyone. She was working for the BBC at the time I think so perhaps more worried about her career.

The obituary piece from the telegraph on Savile has some worrying pieces in it..
    "He also worked as a volunteer at Broadmoor, the hospital for the criminally insane, where he was given his own room, & referred to the staff & patients at the hospital as “my people” & himself as “the Godfather”

"Cleaners would come in once a week & leave a basket of food, but Savile claimed that if he was catering for himself his favoured meal was a tin of baked beans microwaved in the same pint mug which he would also use to wash his hair"

All in all, these are very serious allegations which IMO are true but he can't defend himself now & I doubt much will be made of this once the dust settles. I don't think we will see a court case about this allegations which is sad & I hope the victims can move on.

I know lots of people who keep saying that it shouldn't be brought up because he cant defend himself. Would it make much of a difference if he was alive? What i mean by that is surely he would just deny everything, so we would be in the same situation of either believing all these women or believing he was innocent. There is no physical evidence so even if it went to court it would have been his word (denying it) against all the alleged victims and witnesses.

1210m5g wrote: »
    I know lots of people who keep saying that it shouldn't be brought up because he cant defend himself. Would it make much of a difference if he was alive? What i mean by that is surely he would just deny everything, so we would be in the same situation of either believing all these women or believing he was innocent. There is no physical evidence so even if it went to court it would have been his word (denying it) against all the alleged victims and witnesses.
    thats why it's out now-the media can safely air the allegations which might not stand up in court
    spooky seeing him doing his hospital porter bit
    pro wrestler as well.he'd be fairly imposing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

M cebee wrote: »

her shiite always smelt better than anyone elses. she knew but said and did nothing.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    her shiite always smelt better than anyone elses. she knew but said and did nothing.

well that was the thing about her

she acted like she cared with the childline
    looking at her and jimmy together,and the crocodile tears last nite:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Was there not some kind of "Whistleblower's Charter" in those days? I mean, this lunatic was a modern day Caligula. Surely a database on complaints would have flagged Savile's modus operandi and would have led to a prosecution? All these people could have written anonymous complaints if they were afraid of losing their jobs, but they were still complicit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,123 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Spread wrote: »
    Was there not some kind of "Whistleblower's Charter" in those days? I mean, this lunatic was a modern day Caligula. Surely a database on complaints would have flagged Savile's modus operandi and would have led to a prosecution? All these people could have written anonymous complaints if they were afraid of losing their jobs, but they were still complicit.

I wonder whether the BBC bosses were more concerned with losing Jimmy Savile's high ratings programmes than they were with the allegations against him.

There's more than a fair share of nutters and creeps in showbiz, and many of them seem to have at least two different personas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I wonder whether the BBC bosses were more concerned with losing Jimmy Savile's high ratings programmes than they were with the allegations against him.

There's more than a fair share of nutters and creeps in showbiz, and many of them seem to have at least two different personas.

Both your above statements are true. Of course the BBC, who created this monster, were afraid of losing out in the ratings scale if they opened up inquiries into his behaviour. I think that the particular zeitgeist that rides pillion with showbiz also played a part in his not being outed ......... you know, famous TV personality getting his jollies by procuring, grooming and eventually sexually assaulting under age girls and impressionable young girls wanting to be feted/loved by a famous person.
    I think his zany behaviour was a way of not projecting his real personality. A ploy - if you like - which kept rational observation at arms length and which we now know, veneered a really depraved, cunning and maladjusted person.
    The inquiry should now focus on four things: (1) Finding out others that were abused and offering counselling ........ (2) Finding out why complaints were not followed up and if there was a cover up ....... (3) Finding out if there are any more suchlike people lurking in similiar positions and (4) Having an up-to-date register on people that have unsupervised access to children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

• Advertisement

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

RayM wrote: »
    Here it is. It was a fake. Albeit a very funny one.

The BBC said it was fake... they're the very ones that would want that to be the consensus! I don't usually go for tabloid stories or celebrity rumours, but I fully believe he was a rotten old cunt!

Seems another well known Star has just got an injunction

http://m.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/oct/04/freddie-starr-itv-injunction?cat=uk&type=article

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

He had an injunction for a few hours. Now open season to make it public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Freddie Starr ate my fanny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Nope. Only the living can be defamed.

so how come your man Jesus never sues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

collection_jim_0040.jpg

These look horrific now, that scumbag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

listen to this........

recorded during the making of a 70s radio show called.. Savile's Travels

"Everybody knew that he was constantly in the company of young girls" ..... This is a BBC producer that went on to say he had seen a girl "of about 12" with Saville, he himself had 2 young girls & could tell that the girl was that age because of this....

YET HE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE SAID F*CKALL.

Sorry for shouting but it just doesn't wash with me.

Burn in hell Saville - Monster of a Man.

• Advertisement

Manc-Red wrote: »
    "Everybody knew that he was constantly in the company of young girls" ..... This is a BBC producer that went on to say he had seen a girl "of about 12" with Saville, he himself had 2 young girls & could tell that the girl was that age because of this....

Yeah but unfortunately this was a time when if you went home and told your parents that you were raped by a priest you would probably get a beating and told to walk it off. People seemed to turn a bling eye to a lot of things back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭AlarmBelle

so how come your man Jesus never sues
    or gerry adams

Yeah but unfortunately this was a time when if you went home and told your parents that you were raped by a priest you would probably get a beating and told to walk it off. People seemed to turn a bling eye to a lot of things back then.

True, It's just horrible that these sick b*stards done what they wanted to whom they wanted too.

Like Priests back then, Saville was untouchable I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

AlarmBelle wrote: »
    or gerry adams

night of the grizzly dead comes to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

That happened to one of my wife's cousins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

ejmaztec wrote: »

I doubt the BBC deliberately buried the allegations, that's not how they work. As someone who has worked in the media; I can tell you - you get bombarded with calls from people who claim they are suicidal, lonely, in love with you, about to organise an expedition to find the ark of the covenant with Gerry Adams and Ian Paisely or have planted a bomb somewhere. There's not time enough to investigate all these claims. Which had nothing to do with the jobs I did.

Maybe the allegations were not treated with the due attention they deserved - and that's bad. But I'm sure we'll find out eventually just what went on and where the failure points were.

I can tell you this, there's no more nutters and creeps in showbiz than any other profession. It's just that it tends to be more high profile when it comes out.

• Advertisement

galwayrush wrote: »

Horrific :(

Manc-Red wrote: »

Irish sex tourists such as Cathal O Searcaigh had their wicked way with young boys.David Norris was never pressurised into saying a little more about his attitudes towards paedophilia. in those cases being gay and having friends in the media helped avoid a witchhunt. saville was big name with friends in high places. it would require civil courage to stand up and say what he was doing was wrong.

even the liberal Irish times did not dare to write about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

galwayrush wrote: »

Horrific :(

Happened in a boarding school, bible bashing father beats crap out of him for saying such a thing about a priest, he then drove his son back to the boarding school .

The BBC said it was fake... they're the very ones that would want that to be the consensus! I don't usually go for tabloid stories or celebrity rumours, but I fully believe he was a rotten old cunt!

his defence of Gary glitter should have been examined at the time, just like david norris and some of his more unusual statements.
    saville did a lot of good so it was forbidden to criticise him.

• Advertisement

even the liberal Irish times did not dare to write about it.

And how should they have tackled the issue, with the blessed benefit of hindsight?

Btw, the IT is as liberal as an Ayn Rand character. They just like to think they are liberal but scratch deep enough and they're as reactionary as the next rag.

old hippy wrote: »
    And how should they have tackled the issue, with the blessed benefit of hindsight?

Btw, the IT is as liberal as an Ayn Rand character. They just like to think they are liberal but scratch deep enough and they're as reactionary as the next rag.

the Times was regarded as a protestant paper and not under the control of the church. there is no question of hindsight- everyone knew what was going on. we sneer at the Germans who claimed, even when living right besides the camps, that they did not know what was going on.
    maybe the Times was not interested because the church of ireland was also abusing kids.

the Times was regarded as a protestant paper and not under the control of the church. there is no question of hindsight- everyone knew what was going on. we sneer at the Germans who claimed, even when living right besides the camps, that they did not know what was going on.
    maybe the Times was not interested because the church of ireland was also abusing kids.

Interesting, you've managed to bring in David Norris and sectarianism into the discussion.

Back in those days, nobody would listen to you if you made such allegations. Horrific and wrong but very much the situation in those dark days.

It's got feck all to do with gay politicians or being protestant. Or both, for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭WhimSock

Freddie Starr ate my fanny.

I hear he likes it in the Gary Glitter.

It really seemed like a case of Savile being untouchable, too powerful and too scary to confront. To top it all off it was all during a time when these things were quite hush hush. Teenage girls who were preyed on would never have stood a chance. Everyone else who knew about it would have feared losing their livelihoods had they spoken up. Really, those times were not like current times where there is a massive public outrage and disgust over paedophilia / pederasty / sex crimes like there is now.

[insert we only have to look at our society too at the time comment]

I mean, who would have won here? A stand up member of the community doing lots of charity fundraising work, or a 15 year old girl who dressed in a miniskirt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

I hope Jimmy burns in hell :mad: poor kids
    anything from the Nolan sisters? they watched him feel up their little sister Coleen on TOTP shame the never beat him up like they threatened too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

WhimSock wrote: »
    I mean, who would have won here? A stand up member of the community doing lots of charity fundraising work, or a 15 year old girl who dressed in a miniskirt?

Definitely the latter in my case.

Oh wait, I thought you asked which one we'd preferred....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

So it turns out Jimmy Saville was once the face of British Rail: Children £1 each

Fortunately, they realised their mistake and replaced him with someone else...

Also, here is a somewhat rapey excerpt from his 1974 autobiography:
    [Savile] writes of an incident at the Mecca Locarno ballroom in Leeds, where he worked as a DJ during the 1950s, when a female police officer came in with a photograph of “an attractive girl who had run away from a remand home”.

Savile writes: “‘Ah,’ says I all serious, ‘if she comes in I’ll bring her back tomorrow but I’ll keep her all night first as my reward’.” He then writes that the girl did go into the club and “agreed that I hand her over if she could stay at the dance, [and] come home with me”. He wrote that he did then hand her over to the “lady of the law…[who] was dissuaded from bringing charges against me by her colleagues, for it was well known that were I to go I would probably take half the station with me”.

From here: http://timesopinion.tumblr.com/post/32804536645/jimmy-saviles-affections-laid-bare-by-jimmy-savile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Any time something horrific gets out in the open and people express rage at those who knew but didn't tell anyone, I wonder why they feel they would be any different to the people in question. Anyone decent would assume they'd speak out, but I guess you have to be in the situation to know exactly what it's like to be in that position, and how much power you would actually have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Madam_X wrote: »
    Any time something horrific gets out in the open and people express rage at those who knew but didn't tell anyone, I wonder why they feel they would be any different to the people in question. Anyone decent would assume they'd speak out, but I guess you have to be in the situation to know exactly what it's like to be in that position, and how much power you would actually have.

Exactly.

Its really easy to cast judgement when you've never been in that position yourself. And of course hindsight is 50/50, especially when you're looking at the actions of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Filmed in front of a studio audience. Seems like a difficult thing to keep under wraps.

Plus I seriously doubt if both Paul Merton and Ian Hislop could be persuaded to keep quiet about it if the entire transcript was true.

• Advertisement
Advertisement