Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote 79stg

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

MIne arrived on Wednesday. I havent really had a chance to play around with it yet but it seems good.

My wife seems highly skeptical that we need a smart remote.

MIne arrived on Wednesday. I havent really had a chance to play around with it yet but it seems good.

I've had various harmony remotes for the last 10+ years and once she gets used to it she wont go back.
    Have worn out two harmony 885s and on my second touch.
    Would like an ultimate but I dont need the extra function as I dont like the philips hue/smart home stuff

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

as I dont like the philips hue/smart home stuff

Blaspheme! :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've had various harmony remotes for the last 10+ years and once she gets used to it she wont go back.

Same experience here. Missus is initially sceptical of anything I buy, then a few months later she is like:

"When are we getting Hue Smart bulbs for the bathroom"
    "I miss the Google Home" - When on holidays, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

bk wrote: »
    Same experience here. Missus is initially sceptical of anything I buy, then a few months later she is like:

"When are we getting Hue Smart bulbs for the bathroom"
    "I miss the Google Home" - When on holidays, etc.

:rolleyes: :pac: :D

so true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

Arrived yesterday. Got mine to replace a Harmony One that was starting to show its age.

The remote is a step down it feels in terms of design... It invites random screen pushes when you pick it up (the screen locks to stop this but if you grab it during the unlocked period it'll hit something). Apparently they gated the spiritual successor to the Harmony One remote to the Elite package but I feel with the smart apps I will use the remote far less.

I'd recommend just the Harmony Hub or with the non screen remote (though this deal was cheaper than both). It is super nice to be able to finally turn on my (non-smart) telly from the phone. It imported my old activities from the Harmony One and the setup is far far easier these days than creating activities for that (both interface wise and not having every little change needing the remote reconnected to the PC).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Patww79 wrote: »

Install the harmony app on your phone and it will guide you through the setup process.
    Toast wrote: »
    The remote is a step down it feels in terms of design... It invites random screen pushes when you pick it up (the screen locks to stop this but if you grab it during the unlocked period it'll hit something). Apparently they gated the spiritual successor to the Harmony One remote to the Elite package but I feel with the smart apps I will use the remote far less.

Yes, with the Ultimate I think they thought using the touch screen was the future and placed it right under where you thumb sits. They then realised everyone hated that and rarely used the touch screen, so they released the Elite to fix it, moving the touch screen out of the way at the top and putting the play/pause, etc. buttons directly under your thumb. Makes much more sense layout wise.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/google-home-mini-logitech-harmony-setup,review-5012.html

Though I recommend focusing on getting the Harmony all set up and working first with all your devices, before trying to get it working with Assistant, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Mine arrived yesterday
    Software update for remote kept failing, eventually loaded.
    Couldn't connect Amazon Fire TV to Hub until remote/hub were updated and synced.
    Alexa integration was the easiest bit surprisingly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭fdevine

Mine arrived slightly ahead of schedule on Friday, but to work and I was OOO on Friday.

Have tried connecting to the hub via the app and finding it frustratingly troublesome with either error messages or getting stuck in a login loop.

Have the long weekend to play around with it and get it set up fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

Did that for me when trying to use the Android App to do the setup. Worked first time when I hooked the remote into the PC and used the Windows software. There's some odd disconnect with what you can do on Android and what you can do on Windows. You can reprogram the remote screen and buttons in windows.. but only the buttons via the Android App (you can do the screen from the remote itself but it is a pain).

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

I've found their phone support to be excellent. From memory, I wasnt able to call during the week because their office hours were fairly limited but i remember spending a good half an hour on a saturday morning with a polite Romanian bloke who helped me set up two devices that were not officially supported by the remote (Roomba vacuum cleaner and LED candles). He also answered a few random questions and gave a few usage tips

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭dubrov

Patww79 wrote:

Make sure the hub had a direct line of site to your devices or at least close to it.

75% suggests the signal is bouncing off walls/ cabinets which is not dependable

• Registered Users Posts: 27,855 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's not really that, it just seems to be a toggle rather than a definite On or Off.

Like I have a thing set to Watch TV and it's to turn the TV on, the Horizon on, and HDMI1. Sometimes if I hit this then it turns both off if they're on already. If I have the TV on and the Shield on (HDMI2) and I hit Watch TV then it does nothing except turn the Horizon off.

At the moment it's completely crapped out and won't do a thing at all. Seems to be stuck in a loop on the Watch Shield section and it just times out if I use the TV routine. Volume, etc won't work at all from the app or remote and the app on the PC just sticks in a loop when trying to open it with the remote plugged in.

If you turn on your Shield TV when the TV is off will your TV wake up automatically?

Some devices have a separate on and off button. The problem is Horizon has just a single power toggle button (one of many shocking design decisions). So if the remote thinks it is off but it is actually on, it will do the wrong thing.

So somehow the remote has gone out of sync with reality. The reason for this is that it sent an instruction that did not work. This should not happen.

I'd check the hub positioning as if there is no direct line it may not work all the time. There could be other reasons, like the box is booting up and you are trying to send it instructions.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Sometimes you need to add delays of a few seconds between commands. I have a TV in the kitchen which needs 5 seconds after turning on before sending the command to change source otherwise it's not ready for it. It's all a trial and error thing and is down to the devices you have.

Just one other thing, check your TV setting to ensure HDMI-CEC/Anynet+ settings are disabled.
    A lot o TVs allow other devices to control them.

E.g. When your shield switches on, it can switch your TV source to what it is using.

I'd also make sure that your activities turn off any devices that you don't use in case they are doing something they shouldn't.

If the remote is in the dock, it is idle so shouldn't be affecting anything.

Also CEC is called different names on different devices. On LG is called Simplink

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Mine arrived yesterday, amazingly favourite tv channels do not work on satellite via Sony TV, loads of internet hits about it.
    Also when I use it to turn on the TV it randomly selects AV inputs.
    Set it up to turn on my projector and screen and when I used it to turn off my TV some time later it turned the projector on (different makes).
    Absolutely will not connect to my W10 PC via bluetooth.

Useless to me

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

slave1 wrote: »
    Mine arrived yesterday, amazingly favourite tv channels do not work on satellite via Sony TV, loads of internet hits about it.
    Also when I use it to turn on the TV it randomly selects AV inputs.
    Set it up to turn on my projector and screen and when I used it to turn off my TV some time later it turned the projector on (different makes).
    Absolutely will not connect to my W10 PC via bluetooth.

Useless to me

You can use ‘Buttons’ to overcome most of that. Are you using an AV receiver with your setup?

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    You can use ‘Buttons’ to overcome most of that. Are you using an AV receiver with your setup?

Yes, I'm using an AV receiver but I do not want that included in Projector activity as chances are I'll already have the AV receiver on watching TV and just want to turn off the TV and turn on the Projector

slave1 wrote: »
    Yes, I'm using an AV receiver but I do not want that included in Projector activity as chances are I'll already have the AV receiver on watching TV and just want to turn off the TV and turn on the Projector

You can set individual devices to never power off between activities unless you press the power of button. I think you need to spend some time digging a little deeper in the settings

• Advertisement

You can set individual devices to never power off between activities unless you press the power of button. I think you need to spend some time digging a little deeper in the settings

Yeah perhaps, the Sony satellite TV not being added to favorites is a bit of a deal breaker though....I'll give it a bit more time

Advertisement