Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where did it all go wrong (or very right) for ....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

I'd say John Cusack too. Cult classics like Gsosse Point Blank and High Fidelity and now the Last thing I remember seeing him in was Hot Tub Time Machine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Pauly Shore, one of the finest actors of his generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Pauly Shore, one of the finest actors of his generation.

Just how Tipsy ARE you? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,583 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

rusty cole wrote: »
    Apparently a nightmare to work with. he frequently tops the most hated stars list with Catherine heigel!!

Yeah, remember that time he fell out with Garth because Benjamin was ruining the show?

I couldn't make out what Garth was shouting at him, because of the plane flying overhead, but you could tell he was furious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Edir: Thread was far too pessimistic for my liking. Add your "Where did it all go right for ..." stories too.

Where did it all go right for Ben Affleck? What a turnaround!

From a "Jesus, are we really going to cast him?" status to a very solid and respected director in less than 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,583 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Edir: Thread was far too pessimistic for my liking. Add your "Where did it all go right for ..." stories too.

Where did it all go right for Ben Affleck? What a turnaround!

From a "Jesus, are we really going to cast him?" status to a very solid and respected director in less than 5 years.

Was it before Argo? That's a great movie.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Was it before Argo? That's a great movie.

I would say so yes. The change in him began with the excellent Gone Baby Gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

How about mark hammill, played Luke skywalker fairly well, he's done a lot of voice overs but never got back into the acting, not too sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Where the hell did Mike Myers go?
    Just signed a two-year deal with HBO.

How about mark hammill, played Luke skywalker fairly well, he's done a lot of voice overs but never got back into the acting, not too sure why.

He's in the new Star Wars...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Birneybau wrote: »
    He's in the new Star Wars...

Ya I forgot to mention that but there was a considerable gap there where he wasn't onscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Stephen Bauer, played Pacinos' friend in Scarface. Was in primal fear & only recently ray donovan

• Registered Users Posts: 85,321 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

ziedth wrote: »
    I watched some bare knuckle traveler boxing thing with him and vinnie Jones the other night. Good God it was horific, I thought pretty much what you wrote there. I wonder could he have had John Travolta's career if he'd done pulp fiction

As you mentioned John Travolta, what has happened to him, comeback to great highs with the likes Pulp Fiction, Face Off and Get Shorty and then has fallen off radar in Hollywood

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    As you mentioned John Travolta, what has happened to him, comeback to great highs with the likes Pulp Fiction, Face Off and Get Shorty and then has fallen off radar in Hollywood

Scientology, bizarre plastic surgery, Scientology.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,321 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Birneybau wrote: »
    Scientology, bizarre plastic surgery, Scientology.

Tom Cruise's career is still going strong but yes the new hair and dracula like face work cant have helped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Ray liotta and Michelle Pfeiffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Hold up, he didn't just do voice overs, he was the voice of The Joker! He is THE quintessential Joker! Try pick up a batman comic and not hear Mark Hamill's voice in your head when you read the joker's dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Eddie Murphy - hit after hit in the 80's (too many to list), the 90's were poor (although I have a soft spot for Bowfinger in '99).

Fair enough his voice work was good in Shrek (and he was good in Dreamgirls), in the '00's, but never reached the previous heights with garbage movies like Pluto Nash, Norbit, Dr. Dolittle etc, he should move away from the family friendly and get back to what he did best.

I see Beverly Hills Cop IV is in the pipeline so hopefully this will be a return to form!

Too much negativety lads :p

Where did it all go right for: Robert Downey Jr
    From 1996 through 2001, Downey was arrested numerous times on drug-related charges including cocaine, heroin and marijuana and went several times through drug treatment programs unsuccessfully, explaining in 1999 to a judge: "It's like I've got a shotgun in my mouth with my finger on the trigger, and I like the taste of the gun metal."

He explained his relapses by claiming to have been addicted to drugs since the age of eight, due to the fact that his father, also an addict, had been giving them to him

And well we all know about the revival. It began with Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and culminated with the billion dollar franchises of Iron Man and The Avengers.

Downey tops the Forbes list of Hollywood's highest-paid actors with an estimated $75 million in earnings between June 2012 and June 2013.

Now that's how you do a comeback ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Where did it all go right for: Robert Downey Jr

I also thought he was very good in Tropic Thunder & Sherlock (1 & 2)

Definitely one of Hollywoods big hitters now

• Advertisement

I also thought he was very good in Tropic Thunder & Sherlock (1 & 2)

Definitely one of Hollywoods big hitters now

I rewatched Tropic Thunder recently and without Downey Jr in that film as an Australian playing a black man :pac: it would knock a considerable amount of points off it ratings wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

bodonnell wrote: »
    Stephen Bauer, played Pacinos' friend in Scarface. Was in primal fear & only recently ray donovan

also breaking bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

So, hugh grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

CPSW wrote: »
    Eddie Murphy - hit after hit in the 80's (too many to list), the 90's were poor (although I have a soft spot for Bowfinger in '99).

Fair enough his voice work was good in Shrek (and he was good in Dreamgirls), in the '00's, but never reached the previous heights with garbage movies like Pluto Nash, Norbit, Dr. Dolittle etc, he should move away from the family friendly and get back to what he did best.

I see Beverly Hills Cop IV is in the pipeline so hopefully this will be a return to form!

I wouldn't hold your breath. It's been "in the pipeline" for years. Beverly Hills Cop 3 (early '90's) was absolute tripe. Eddie still looks in great shape though and could easily pull off the all action cop again with the right script, but his 80's co star Judge Reinhold has gone down the really dodgy plastic surgery route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Joe Pesci?
    Psycho killer in a couple of Scorcese flicks, bad guy in a kids movie in Home Alone and then where?

I want to hear him shouting again, in a comedy or thriller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

What about Mira Sorvino? Oscar and Golden Globe winner, who can't buy a decent role these days. She was in a string of flops, which doesn't help, but surely she's talented enough for someone to give her another chance?

I rewatched Tropic Thunder recently and without Downey Jr in that film as an Australian playing a black man :pac: it would knock a considerable amount of points off it ratings wise.

And didn't RDJ get an oscar nomination for playing that role? Great comeback, only he could have pulled that off!

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold your breath. It's been "in the pipeline" for years. Beverly Hills Cop 3 (early '90's) was absolute tripe. Eddie still looks in great shape though and could easily pull off the all action cop again with the right script, but his 80's co star Judge Reinhold has gone down the really dodgy plastic surgery route.

Very true, I am sure if it ever does get made it, it will be PG-13 tripe with Axl Foley unable to drop any F bombs :)

Where did it go wrong for Marisa Tomei. Seemed to get stuck as "needy woman" parts for some reason

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

Joe Pesci?
    Psycho killer in a couple of Scorcese flicks, bad guy in a kids movie in Home Alone and then where?

I want to hear him shouting again, in a comedy or thriller

There was My Cousing Vinny . Stupid plotline but hilarious to watch none he less.

Advertisement